Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do we really need to take ted cruz, jindal and huckabee seriously now that they attended a Kevin Swanson conference where Kevin literally said we need laws on the books giving the death penalty for being gay?

More and more I feel like every single one of these candidates is a nonstarter for the general. They all seem to have worse credentials for running nationally than Romney did. And that's loving saying something.

Have you paid any attention to the Republican electorate, at all, this cycle? They are out for blood and to, "take...our...gubvernment............back. Shucky ducky"

If you've never taken the time to listen to Hermain Cain on WSB in Atlanta, spend 5 minutes doing so. It will open your eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's an anti-Paul PAC? Who the hell is afraid of Rand Paul.

And if you take a look at Trump's opponents it's once again clear that he just might be the best Republican candidate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

meristem posted:

Do the Republicans get superdelegates? I mean, they are supposed to be exactly this sort of a safety valve, aren't they?

There are 3 superdelegates per state, but a lot of them are pledged to the candidate receiving the most votes in their state. It varies from state party to state party.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phlegmish posted:

There's an anti-Paul PAC? Who the hell is afraid of Rand Paul.

It was started by John Bolton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBSlns7DwZQ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do we really need to take ted cruz, jindal and huckabee seriously now that they attended a Kevin Swanson conference where Kevin literally said we need laws on the books giving the death penalty for being gay?

More and more I feel like every single one of these candidates is a nonstarter for the general. They all seem to have worse credentials for running nationally than Romney did. And that's loving saying something.

I wonder if Rubio gets the nom, who's he going to pick as VP?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder if Rubio gets the nom, who's he going to pick as VP?

A midwestern governor. Walker/Snyder/Rauner/(probably not)Kasich/Tpaw.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Good old cookie duster.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Missing Baby Got PAC from the list

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Louisgod posted:

I hope Cruz gets the nomination as he's a massive piece of poo poo that will get chewed up and spat out by Hillary or Sanders and get called out for literally never answering a question.

Clinton and/or Sanders chew on pieces of poo poo? :raise:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

If he gets the nomination and the economy goes to poo poo over the summer there's a good chance he becomes president. That's enough to scare me.

Same here, because the last thing we need is a republican 'fixing' the economy.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We need to take the threat of Christian Reconstructionist ideology very seriously. If not for its violent fascism, than for how it's the engine pushing for federal and state level Religious Freedom Restoration Acts and similar backdoor theocracy legislation.

Ben Carson was scheduled to be there, too, but his campaign (wisely) backed out at the last minute. Carson is one fervid revelation away from killing all the gays, but his manner of speaking is better at masking that than others.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jesus Christ.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do It Once Right posted:

We need to take the threat of Christian Reconstructionist ideology very seriously. If not for its violent fascism, than for how it's the engine pushing for federal and state level Religious Freedom Restoration Acts and similar backdoor theocracy legislation.

Ben Carson was scheduled to be there, too, but his campaign (wisely) backed out at the last minute. Carson is one fervid revelation away from killing all the gays, but his manner of speaking is better at masking that than others.

That's not what fascism is.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

First, that is a pretty cool site and everyone should check it out of they have not.

Second, I started digging through their JSON file they posted. I'm trying to think of interesting things to mine from it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I understand we need to take the threat seriously, and that their party is so hosed that doing something like this doesn't even warrant an admonishment from ANYONE.

What I don't understand is why the media, us, and anyone else watching hasn't broke under the weight of all the different gigantic red flags being thrown up gleefully by these morons?

What major mechanism has to he broken in your party that three different candidates for president are allowed to do something so incredibly stupid?

Even if they're just trolling around for book sales, where the gently caress is the Reince Priebus/Jeb bush/literally anyone with an R by their name who wants to get elected to an office higher than state rep? Why aren't they stopping this? Or at least ostracizing these people?

WHY IS EVERYTHING SO DUUUUUMB

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It didn't become a big issue because, with the possible exception of Cruz, the people involved are non-entities. In the unlikely event of Cruz clinching the nomination, it's going to come back to haunt him in a big way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Because lots of dead gays is what the GOP base wants and anybody who wants to get elected can't say anything against it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
We aren't even out of primary season and I really feel like if I see that 47 percent or so endorse this party again, it's only marginally less scary than actual president carson or president Trump.

I'd like to think that if the D's all got together and decided that endorsing a theorhetical "kill all Christians" policy wasn't even worthy of being denounced, I would consider not voting for them.

So what the gently caress is wrong with the rest of us Americans? What possible existential threat is so horrible and, more importantly, so real that you sign off on something like this?

What did Democrats do to them that was so convincingly bad that they'd rather get behind all the lovely unchristian, immoral, rude and/or just downright nasty stuff being defended JUST THIS LAST YEAR simply because a non-evangelical (aka liberal apperantly) doesnt like it?

It's just really starting to boggle my mind that their party is so openly dysfunctional and yet so integral.

Edit: and I'm well aware what they've been told are liberal americas big sins. My question is when so many of them are really really obvious pablum, while being confronted with so many real GOP problems and sins....where's the consistency? Is it a big troll on their part and they know they're the baddies? Is it just the death throes of white privelege?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
HOW DID I MISS WHERE WE TALKED ABOUT THIS?!?!

http://gawker.com/lindsey-graham-deals-with-rejection-by-drinking-wine-an-1741910342

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I&S, stop trying to rationalize irrational behavior and your head will hurt less.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

who?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grey Fox posted:

I&S, stop trying to rationalize irrational behavior and you won't feel so bad.

It's less theirs, than the implicit idea that it's uncouth to call them out that we all live with. That I have to watch Mike Huckabee tell Jake Tapper he's making poo poo up when he tries to ask him why he's at a conference where the organizer has repeatedly called for the govt to kill citizens because of where they put their genitals.

It's having to treat really obviously wrong, immoral and illogical people and policies as if they arent.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
More people need to call Cruz on that, and how when he was questioned about it he denied knowing that the person holding the conference ever said anything about killing gay people. You know, the thing he said at the conference Cruz was at.

Cruz is a coward, basically; he knows that supporting those things will torpedo his reputation outside of the extremists, so he's denying it to the public while still doing things like attending those conferences to silently let evangelicals know that he's for it and get their support. He wants to have his cake and eat it, but it should backfire on him hard; anyone with a modicum of competence could use it to hit him with both groups, since the general public would find him repulsive if it was brought to light, while the hardcore right assholes who support that sort of thing will dislike him for his being ashamed and afraid to stand by his convictions or whatever. At the least, someone should be able to force him to take a definite stance there, which will gently caress him no matter which way he goes; standing for what that pastor said will make him repulsive to everyone but the extremists, while coming out against it will lose him evangelical support and gain him almost nothing because even without that most people are not going to like Ted Cruz.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's less theirs, than the implicit idea that it's uncouth to call them out that we all live with. That I have to watch Mike Huckabee tell Jake Tapper he's making poo poo up when he tries to ask him why he's at a conference where the organizer has repeatedly called for the govt to kill citizens because of where they put their genitals.
It's only uncouth because the other guy did a better job at selling his story than the guy with the actual facts. It's 100% confidence, hence why it's a field full of con artists.

edit: I understand your frustration, because often the only real recourse to this kind of behavior is to resort to the same reliance on emotional manipulation and massaging the facts to fit your narrative into a nice little package for soundbite purposes. If you have a soul, it feels sleazy as hell.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Cruz is the slimiest sort of poo poo that can eek out of an rear end in a top hat

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grey Fox posted:

It's only uncouth because the other guy did a better job at selling his story than the guy with the actual facts. It's 100% confidence, hence why it's a field full of con artists.

I guess I blame the candidates less than the sick people who engender this as a valid position to occupy. I can't tell you which candidates are true believers and which are just really depraved grifters, but it's a reflection of something deeply wrong with their base that they're either serving up people who really believe this poo poo, or that they gravitate towards someone selling it.

This primary and the recent stories about their outlier trend of old white conservatives dying of such much "despair" related causes is really scary. These people need help and they're just digging in further and getting cheered on by a bunch of snake oil salesman assholes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh gently caress

quote:

Well it looks like Trump is making a bid to take a chokehold over the headlines again. In an interview to be released later tonight, Erin Burnett says that Trump will compare Ben Carson’s “pathological disease” to that of a child molester’s.

http://m.therightscoop.com/cnn-trump-says-ben-carsons-pathological-disease-is-just-like-a-child-molesters-condition/

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's having to treat really obviously wrong, immoral and illogical people and policies as if they arent.

Yeah don't over think it. It's not just one thing. It's a perfect storm of multiple influences coming together; talk radio meets Citizen's United meets Black President meets shifting demographic meets a dozen more things. Welcome to the new normal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I keep trying to view these things from the perspective of someone who wants a Republican president, but isn't an insane whackjob, and it's a nightmare. If someone confidently told me every strategic move theyve made from the tea party to today was some sort of elaborate inside job to tank the Republican party I would believe it.

When in this mode, before this primary, I was thinking "we need to address the latino vote immediately and begin to marginalize our more radical voices. This is bad" and then Trump happened and that "pretty goddamn bad" place to be looks like a paradise compared to the shape they're in now.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"Ben Carson = Child Molester"
- Donald Trump

I agree.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 22, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Update on the lovely Ben Carson sign in Houghton Lake, MI, I posted last week. The woman who made that sign is organizing Ben Carson's campaign in that part of the state. I'm told by locals that everyone she talks to she tried to convince them to vote for Ben Carson.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

IF Donald Trump actually likened Ben Carson to a Child Molester he's done. This is the moment everyone in the GOP has been waiting for.

And once Donald is done it's Rubio/Cruz time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I keep trying to view these things from the perspective of someone who wants a Republican president, but isn't an insane whackjob, and it's a nightmare. If someone confidently told me every strategic move theyve made from the tea party to today was some sort of elaborate inside job to tank the Republican party I would believe it.

When in this mode, before this primary, I was thinking "we need to address the latino vote immediately and begin to marginalize our more radical voices. This is bad" and then Trump happened and that "pretty goddamn bad" place to be looks like a paradise compared to the shape they're in now.

I'm still not entirely sure what the republican message is anymore once you've removed all the clearly insane bullshit.

I'm pretty sure they had something at some point but I'm not sure where it went.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhh according to some noted posters and a whole lot of analysts apparently the latino vote will come pouring in because they secretly agree with Trump, just take a look at this unskewed poll

Truth is, if you're not a whack job far right already-millionaire, the GOP has left you behind. If you don't identify with the Democratic policies even a little then you're basically unrepresented in government. Thank your fellow GOPers for giving the keys to the tea party I guess

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I hope it didn't really happen, I want to see Trump go all the way to the end, run as a third party and seal the GOP's doom.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Has Jeb fixed it yet?

Does a Trump meltdown count?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I hope it didn't really happen, I want to see Trump go all the way to the end, run as a third party and seal the GOP's doom.

The soothsayers are telling me that only the GOP can kill the GOP right now. If he's third party when it dies unfortunately it will be something else that takes him down according to the unskewed avian entrail divination experts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

nachos posted:

Does a Trump meltdown count?

It does.

Trump melting down means Jeb is back in this as well.

• Locked thread