Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I was looking to sell my Metal Warriors cart, I looked at a bunch of other cart-only listings and a bunch were "remakes" or other "nice" words for bootlegs. Seems like they take old carts, pop the cards out of the inside, put a chip with a ROM in it, and slap a printed out label on the shell?

I'd have included the manual for legitimacy except the manual alone sold for over 120 bucks so balls to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah yeah, I've seen a number of repro carts, but they are usually labeled as such unlike with DS games where people actively try to scam you

Another good trick if you wanna buy a DS game on eBay is look through the seller's other listings, if they have more than one of the same game you can be fully loving sure it's a bootleg.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Half of my Neo Geo MVS carts are probably bootlegs. I don't really care as long as they're cheap and functional, but it's a loving minefield out there if you want genuine stuff.

It's nice when you get the full kit with marquees and such.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you're gonna go to the trouble to get an MVS system why wouldn't you want the genuine thing? You could just emulate it otherwise. But at least there's no important on-board memory on Neo Geo carts unlike with GBA/DS, where lovely bootleg batteries will wipe your save within a month. That's the real reason why you don't want bootleg games, other than paying real money for a fake product.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Check it Out, Comrade! returns from a small hiatus this Saturday with Undertale. Gary actually has some major gripes with it, should be an entertaining episode.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

If you're gonna go to the trouble to get an MVS system why wouldn't you want the genuine thing? You could just emulate it otherwise. But at least there's no important on-board memory on Neo Geo carts unlike with GBA/DS, where lovely bootleg batteries will wipe your save within a month. That's the real reason why you don't want bootleg games, other than paying real money for a fake product.

I have flash carts for the nes / snes / genesis. I want the experience of playing in the console itself, I don't care if the games are "real" or not. I imagine his reason is similar.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I have flash carts for the nes / snes / genesis. I want the experience of playing in the console itself, I don't care if the games are "real" or not. I imagine his reason is similar.

A flash cart is a dramatically easier/smarter/cheaper solution than buying bootleg carts individually. I dunno it's not my place to judge, do what works for you, but the bootleg market is such a harmful thing in general for people who care about physical games, especially once you get up in the GBA/DS era because of how lovely the build quality is like I mentioned.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 12, 2015

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

NickPancakes posted:

Check it Out, Comrade! returns from a small hiatus this Saturday with Undertale. Gary actually has some major gripes with it, should be an entertaining episode.

Nice, I just finished that game so I'll be curious what he has to say.

Hakkesshu posted:

A flash cart is a dramatically easier/smarter/cheaper solution than buying bootleg carts individually. I dunno it's not my place to judge, do what works for you, but the bootleg market is such a harmful thing in general for people who care about physical games, especially once you get up in the GBA/DS era because of how lovely the build quality is like I mentioned.

Flash carts are great for fan translations and absurd rom hacks, like this one someone made that puts FMV into A Link to the Past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AKSoDFUSKA&t=191s

Seeing this come out of my Super Nintendo onto a CRT was a bizarre experience. Link loves apples.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I feel like such an old grump every time I see someone refer to animated or CG cutscenes as FMV.

e: I mean I realize I'm the dick in this situation, just saying.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

For ds / gba sure I agree (also you can get flash carts so do that). For mvs carts though?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I feel like such an old grump every time I see someone refer to animated or CG cutscenes as FMV.

e: I mean I realize I'm the dick in this situation, just saying.

Isn't full motion video just a silly catch all phrase that people used to use for prerecorded cutscenes? I remember people using FMV for all sorts of video in the 90s, not just live action footage. Wikipedia is infallible and lists games like Dragon's Lair as using FMV: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_motion_video

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Congrats Retronauts, you got your english DQ 7 (And 8).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NickPancakes posted:

Undertale. Gary actually has some major gripes with it,

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow, and Gary and Kole thought the System Shock 2 episode was going to be a controversy bomb.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Undertale is a good game with a fun and unique battle system, excellent writing, an outstanding soundtrack, and an obnoxious community that only dumb people actually let bleed into the game and influence them in anyway. Overalll, the game is really charming and anyone who disagrees with any of those assertions can fight me IRL.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I disagree about the writing and the soundtrack did nothing for me. Now we battle, or something.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Gary might need to put a trigger warning on the podcast.

e: Is WOFF's biggest controversy bomb still the metroid prime one?

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Undertale is one of those games where someone not liking it as much as you like it is almost frustrating because on the one hand you almost certainly have a good reason why you personally think the things they don't like about it are actually great but on the other hand you know that no amount of explaining your reasons is going to change their mind and you'll only make them resentful if you try. I just want people to like things that are good :(

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

Undertale is one of those games where someone not liking it as much as you like it is almost frustrating because on the one hand you almost certainly have a good reason why you personally think the things they don't like about it are actually great but on the other hand you know that no amount of explaining your reasons is going to change their mind and you'll only make them resentful if you try. I just want people to like things that are good :(

People are too obsessed in gaming with people liking the same things as them, especially stuff like Undertale which is pretty niche to begin with. A quick glance through Gary's twitter shows it came down to he legitimately sucked at the game and died a lot which then reasonably frustrated him. This is not the type of experience I could ever relate to since I thought the game was pretty easy and almost never died (including original blind pacifist playthrough), but that doesn't invalidate his experience nor should it affect anyone that someone else had a hard time with a game even if they did not themselves. One of the most annoying aspects of the Souls community is the way they wear playing it is some weird masculine badge of honor that validates their identity as a gamer.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I mean on VGHD all of them didn't like Undertale, all on some range of "JRPGs are garbage and dated, no amount of random encounters is acceptable in a game from 1995 let alone 2015" to Zack's "I looked up how you were supposed to beat the tutorial boss and decided that it was such a bad game design decision that the creator of the game deserves absolutely no respect for any of the decisions they have made in this horseshit garbage game because they clearly don't have any idea what they are doing."

E: Also none of them found the writing interesting and it was repeatedly brought up whether or not something being funny is enough to save terrible writing or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tae posted:

Congrats Retronauts, you got your english DQ 7 (And 8).

Man, on the day I picked up a copy of DQ8 for the PS2 (because I'm sick of playing Dota2 + CS:GO + Rocket League). I'm going from 0 to 100 with DQ stuff, I'm excited to play both Rocket Slime and DQ8 this fall/winter (baby's first WOFF play-along).

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

So It Goes posted:

People are too obsessed in gaming with people liking the same things as them, especially stuff like Undertale which is pretty niche to begin with. A quick glance through Gary's twitter shows it came down to he legitimately sucked at the game and died a lot which then reasonably frustrated him. This is not the type of experience I could ever relate to since I thought the game was pretty easy and almost never died (including original blind pacifist playthrough), but that doesn't invalidate his experience nor should it affect anyone that someone else had a hard time with a game even if they did not themselves. One of the most annoying aspects of the Souls community is the way they wear playing it is some weird masculine badge of honor that validates their identity as a gamer.

That's definitely something I've seen other people take issue with, and I feel basically the same way about it as you--I found the game reasonably challenging and generally well-tuned, so it's a criticism that just seems alien to me, but that doesn't mean it's invalid. There are a decent number of ways to control the difficulty and make fights that might be giving you a hard time more manageable, too, but most of those are pretty obscure and they're more like Easter eggs than anything so you can't expect someone to know about them on a first playthrough. If you're having a rough time of it and getting frustrated, there's not a lot of middle ground to find because, like, we just had completely different experiences and in a way we might as well have been playing different games.

Still, I don't think wanting other people to like the thing you like is some kind of obsessive gamer thing. It's not, like, a rational or useful feeling, but human beings have a lot of irrational hang-ups about all sorts of stupid things. People like to have their opinions validated. It's dumb but you can't really help it.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 13, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ultima66 posted:

I mean on VGHD all of them didn't like Undertale, all on some range of "JRPGs are garbage and dated, no amount of random encounters is acceptable in a game from 1995 let alone 2015" to Zack's "I looked up how you were supposed to beat the tutorial boss and decided that it was such a bad game design decision that the creator of the game deserves absolutely no respect for any of the decisions they have made in this horseshit garbage game because they clearly don't have any idea what they are doing."

E: Also none of them found the writing interesting and it was repeatedly brought up whether or not something being funny is enough to save terrible writing or not.

Noting that the thread is probably going to turn into a shitshow over this sooner or later I don't know why people who hate JRPGs are so insistent on playing and weighing in on them (I don't play racing games to get mad, for example) and arguing about whether funny jokes can save bad writing is loving dumb because funny jokes are good writing; if you're regularly laughing at a game's content and it's supposed to be funny it isn't terribly written!

Also relentless negativity and ten thousand word diatribes railing against things that are popular which mistake subjective frustrations for objective flaws are at least as much a hallmark of nerd culture as defensive fanboys, and often more irritating.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 13, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Noting that the thread is probably going to turn into a shitshow over this sooner or later

It didn't last time this came up, we're probably good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ultima66 posted:

Thank you for this insightful post that adds to the discussion.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I like to think I have really well thought out reasons for not liking it and they have nothing to do with the fan community.

Viv, the reasons why this particular person who sort of hates JRPGs keeps playing them are because-

1) Sometimes the good stuff outweighs the bad (FF6 is one of my all time favorite games)
and
2) I want someone to fix them. By all accounts, that was what this game was supposed to be but it didn't feel that way to me.

My main problem is definitely the difficulty. What purpose does it serve in a game so clearly proud (and deservedly so) of it's narrative and writing? I'm amazed that there isn't a difficulty selector other than sort of BS, poorly signaled easter eggs.

I keep running into people who say that the difficulty wasn't an issue for them but one person (Raygan from The Short Game) said that it wasn't hard but admitted he died 23 times on the final boss. It's great that he didn't get frustrated with that but I don't know how.

There's more to it than just pure difficulty though in that it was difficult in a way I didn't find encouraging, fair or fun. I like difficult games. It isn't inherently a turnoff, but my experience was Unfun difficulty, which is the worst.

There are other issues too. Like how sparing people isn't really a moral decision in the game, it's a mechanical one and that the theming/messaging around that is confused when you consider the possibility of the "genocide" ending. There are lots of things I like are are really good about it but on the whole, I just think it's not very good.

Oh, and I'm going to lose it the next time I play a critically lauded game that doesn't include a colorblind mode. It's 2015 and that poo poo is inexcusable.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm sad that I didn't play Undertale sooner, because now I'll be too preoccupied wondering who will be angry at my opinion to consider whether I love or hate it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The point of the difficulty is to create the temptation to stop sparing and so deviate on to the neutral route. Thus the pacifist route feels like triumphing despite the challenges the game throws at you. Generally speaking, though, the difficulty is more the appearance of difficulty than actual difficulty. A player that reasonably plans out their encounters can get though the game with basically zero dodging ability - hence the success of 'Twitch plays Undertale'. There's multiple mechanics in play that actually stealthily eases the game for you.

I have no idea what you mean by sparing being mechanical and not moral.

By dying 23 times, does he mean the entirely optional genocide route boss?

Edit: I mean my Twitter feed on this game is full of people going 'argh this boss is so hard because I have 20 hp, if only I had some levels it would be much easier, but I'm gonna stick with this decision because it's the right thing to do...'

It's the fact that this perception of challenge exists, that makes the pacifist decision meaningful. It makes the ending feel earned. Yeah, it's not gonna be tuned perfectly for everyone, but it works for most people so I think that sense of tension is in fact important.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

2) I want someone to fix them. By all accounts, that was what this game was supposed to be but it didn't feel that way to me.

I don't think that's what the game was supposed to be at all. It seems more interested in addressing the content of RPGs than their mechanics; the negotiation system itself is a kind of homage to Shin Megami Tensei, and the bullet hell stuff feels less like an attempt to "fix" or "reform" RPG gameplay and more like an answer to the problem of how you make pacifist combat interesting - a problem with Undertale, not RPGs.

I can't really say much about difficulty, especially without knowing how you were playing the game. Unlike something like Souls (or Lisa: the Painful, where we had a similar argument a while back) I don't see a great reason for Undertale not to have selectable difficulty other than the time/difficulty involved for one designer to do that right in the context of the game's weird battle system. I think Fangz is on to something, but I was stubborn enough that it didn't matter to me at all, and I definitely didn't die 20+ times to anything.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm actually glad to hear some negative remarks about Undertale, because I'm sick of hearing people relentlessly fawn over it. I kind of don't trust any game people seem to have collectively decided is above criticism.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not exactly deep into the undertale hype so I never heard "the game that fixes jrpgs."

I mean, if your problem with jrpgs is random encounters and stuff, jrpgs for the most part have stopped that since like....2008? It's a rarity more often than not nowadays, unless they go for that specific old school feel like Bravely default.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm actually glad to hear some negative remarks about Undertale, because I'm sick of hearing people relentlessly fawn over it. I kind of don't trust any game people seem to have collectively decided is above criticism.

The problem is that I kind of assume a lot of people who don't dig it are like myself and just didn't buy the game after the demo, which leaves you with little meat to get into critique of the game. Now that some people have been forced into it by podcasts/peer pressure/whatever reason, actual meatier analysis is coming out from the less thrilled players. I liked this piece, for instance.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tae posted:

I mean, if your problem with jrpgs is random encounters and stuff, jrpgs for the most part have stopped that since like....2008?

I don't think Earthbound had any random fights and it came out in the mid-90s. No idea why people keep putting them in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think Earthbound had any random fights and it came out in the mid-90s. No idea why people keep putting them in.
Forced grinding is easier than actual balance.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

@Fangz

He died 23 times on the pacifist end boss. It's fine if you didn't but there's no mileage is just saying, "It's actually not hard."

What I mean is that to make the choice I want to make regarding pacifism is actually a choice between if I want to engage with the game via this mechanic. It's not merely a choice, it's a mechanical one. I found myself unable to make the choice I wanted to make in the game. I'm not really going to address your point that it is actually easy because what's the implication there? Am I lying that I found it hard? Were my actual frustration and the hours I spent somehow false?

The idea that the difficulty gives weight to doing the right thing is undermined, for me, by the genocide ending, as I mentioned. If the idea is that it's hard to do the right thing, why is it harder to do the wrong thing and easiest to do the middle? That's a weird, muddled message.

When you talk about sticking with the pacifism thing because it's the right thing to do, in spite of it being hard, everything about the game is screaming at you to be a pacifist. It's on the back of the box "The game where you don't have to kill anyone!" It's the unique selling point, the characters are charming and likable. It's not just a moral stance, it's also how the game wants to be engaged in every way other than its play.

@Viv, If your argument is that the game is not meant to be a subversion or answer to traditional JRPG staleness, I don't know what to tell you. It seemed to me that that was very much part of the intention. Here's the game where every one of the mindless idiots you usually slay have personality and hopes and dreams, where the bosses are more than just walls of stats. The timing/bullet hell things are there to be more active engagement during battles rather than the nothing that's there for traditional JRPGs.

I mean, I thought Lisa was Too Hard to Be Fun too but the hardness felt of a piece. It's a post apocalypse where muscle uncles were fighting one another for ketchup packets. It's a harsh world.

Also, an easy mode in Undertale seems relatively simple: just make the numbers go down. What if the Muffet fight took 13 turns instead of 17? What if mecha bowie required 9,000 ratings instead of 12,000? I don't see why it would be that complex or problematic other than that there'd be less space for dialogue during fights but I think focusing on the high points of that stuff wouldn't be a mistake anyway.

@Tae, It's always weird to me when people say games like Earthbound don't have random encounters. You're technically right in that you can see the enemies and they're not random but they're still unavoidable in most cases and the enemies respawn enough and you have to backtrack enough to where you'll end up fighting the same amount as if there were random encounters.

My big problem with JRPGs is the lack of engagement in combat and how repetitive that is. This isn't a problem with every single one but it generally is, for me, in your DQs, FFs and many indie RPGs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You literally cannot die against the pacifist end boss. Does he mean Photoshop Flowey? Well, that one is kinda bullshit, yeah, but it also saves after every single phase of the fight, so as long as you beat a single phase, you've progressed a step further. And it gets progressively easier each time you die.

Ultima66 posted:

Are we talking about Video Games Hot Dog or Undertale, here? :smugdog:

TetsuoTW posted:

You could try it and decide for yourself, too. It's only ten dollars. People who don't give things a shot because fanbases or hype influence their opinions are just as obnoxious as the fanbases themselves.

edit: or, try Family Sharing! I guess that's still a thing, find a friend who owns it and see if they'll let you play it!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You literally cannot die against the pacifist end boss. Does he mean Photoshop Flowey? Well, that one is kinda bullshit, yeah, but it also saves after every single phase of the fight, so as long as you beat a single phase, you've progressed a step further. And it gets progressively easier each time you die.

Photoshop Flowey was who he meant, yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Woffle posted:

Photoshop Floweywas who he meant, yes.
Different experiences, I guess. I died to him once. Each attack has glaring holes in the patterns(the nukes can be avoided by staying at the "top" of the movement area where the explosions don't reach, the bullet hell eyebullets often require very very little movement to stay in the blind spots and flailing around is the exact wrong thing to do, the bouncing mouth-creatures have predictable movement patterns, the Business Guns attack has visible lines saying where the next ones will be, etc). My experience was almost completely blind, the only thing I was told/knew beforehand was "play through it the first time without killing a single thing" and a few Papyrus quotes.

I'm not going to say BAD AT VIDEO GAMES DOT NET but dying to him 23 times is more than I've ever seen someone do by a wide margin. Most I've seen is 8.

If you or him enjoyed the story itself though, I suggest going back for the True ending. It requires very little fighting if your initial run was pacifist as well(only four fights in the True Laboratory, one of which really isn't one), gives some good character development for Alphys, Undyne, and Papyrus(if you didn't immediately go on a date with him), explains what the gently caress is up with Flowey, has a very pretty and musically gorgeous final boss fight, and gives an Animal House-esque ending for every single enemy in the game during the credits. Plus the Special Thanks(from Kickstarter backers) section is one of the best and most creative ways to do that sort of thing I've ever seen.

I loved the game. It's my GOTY by far, and the soundtrack is the third full price game soundtrack I've ever bought after Minecraft and FTL. I'm not going to judge someone for not enjoying it, it's just unfortunate that there are people who didn't have fun with it. I keep seeing the Steam Reviews of it go up and up, with nearly 13,000 positive reviews, and 180 or so negative reviews. It sucks that you wound up being part of the minority who didn't like it, and I totally don't mean that as an attack on you. :(

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 13, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I watched all the endings and appreciate them. All the mind fuckery stuff at the end is tops, I just never need to engage with the games mechanics again. I stalled out on mecha bowie and got frustrated enough to never look back. Lest arguing about Undertale become a part time job for me, I think I might be done talking about it. I feel like I've articulated myself well enough and if you enjoyed the game, I wouldn't take that away from you if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You could try it and decide for yourself, too. It's only ten dollars. People who don't give things a shot because fanbases or hype influence their opinions are just as obnoxious as the fanbases themselves.
On the other hand I could not try it because I don't particularly care for JRPGs. I don't know what that had to do with what I said, but OK I guess.

• Locked thread