Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So out of curiosity, how much replayability is there in Lakeview Cabin? I think the only reason I didn't pick it up originally was that some quick looks made it seem like it'd be super easy to run out of things to do or that the game seemed a bit aimless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

How many times have you died? Episode V has a unique death mechanic where you get clues to the puzzles when you die. For example, that doll head puzzle you mentioned? The first time I died, I ended up in a dilapidated room with a ghost pointing to that spot on the wall. I figured out what room it was from where the doors were positioned, and tried chucking things at the picture in the real world until I knocked it down.

You also get additional background on the killer and the overarching story in the death vignettes, so if you've been too good at staying alive, you're actually missing out on a big part of the episode.

At one point it felt like it was impossible to die. Like no matter how hard I tried to get stabbed or throw myself off the roof I couldn't die. Like even if the killer appeared he would just phase right through me. And after I fell off the roof the first time further attempts just resulted in me bouncing off the ground. If I was supposed to divulge clues from hell it was kind of difficult to get there after the first few deaths. Eventually there was just no apparent thing to do and I got bored. Maybe I'll try again at some point, but the experience kind of put me off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

been playing Until Dawn with my gf since we rented it on a Redbox, it's pretty entertaining so far. I think we're up to Chapter 4, Peter Stormare's character/role is pretty unsettling and I love it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The new movement options in Resident Evil (REmake) are loving great. It feels so good to move so freely about and it makes dodging zombies a lot easier to do--baiting their attacks and all that works much easier, and playing on the hardest difficulty keeps the challenge fair, since I die in three hits.

This makes me really really want this kind of fluid control applied to a new game in the RE style. Third person, fixed camera angles, with more spacious environments to take advantage of the better movement, faster enemies, etc. It'd be sick.

Agreed. The remake spoiled any fun I could have in the newer ones. Just quick vastly superior game

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

Agreed. The remake spoiled any fun I could have in the newer ones. Just quick vastly superior game
Well they're doing the REm2ke now, so there's always that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any general tips for Pathologic (HD)? I just started and I like it, but I don't what I should be doing beyond talking to the people being pointed out to me and buying food. I'm playing as Bachelor if that makes a difference.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Kill muggers at night. Talk to all of your adherents every day and do their quests.

If you don't follow a walkthrough, be prepared to lose.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MinibarMatchman posted:

been playing Until Dawn with my gf since we rented it on a Redbox, it's pretty entertaining so far. I think we're up to Chapter 4, Peter Stormare's character/role is pretty unsettling and I love it.

The game is pretty great when you take it as an interactive B-movie. And yeah, Stormare is great. I saw him in an episode of Arrow and immediately blurted "Wait is that the guy from Until Dawn?"

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any general tips for Pathologic (HD)? I just started and I like it, but I don't what I should be doing beyond talking to the people being pointed out to me and buying food. I'm playing as Bachelor if that makes a difference.

Generally if you've completed all the tasks for the day, your task for the rest of the day is to scrounge for resources and survive until the next day. Killing bandits at night and raiding people's houses can be very profitable if you get good at fighting. If you end up getting stuck because you have no resources and you're infected to the point where you're going to die, you can try restarting the game and taking advantage of the shift in economy on the second day by stockpiling stuff on the first day and selling it on the next. Also try to get as many sand plague cures as you can manage. They will work on you in a pinch. I think children randomly trade them sometimes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

0 rows returned posted:

If you don't follow a walkthrough, be prepared to lose.

If I was interested in cheating to make it winnable without using a walkthrough but still challenging, how much extra resources would I want to give myself? Or is it entirely an issue with twitch action / mission timing and planning?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Morpheus posted:

The game is pretty great when you take it as an interactive B-movie. And yeah, Stormare is great. I saw him in an episode of Arrow and immediately blurted "Wait is that the guy from Until Dawn?"

I was told it's possible to save ALL the characters by the end but there was at least one early moment where I thought "how is this even possible?" pretty sure that decision moment with Chris makes saving everyone impossible?

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was told it's possible to save ALL the characters by the end but there was at least one early moment where I thought "how is this even possible?" pretty sure that decision moment with Chris makes saving everyone impossible?

Keep playing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SOMA launched with a custom story editor, right? Has anyone tried messing with it yet? I'm curious how user-friendly it is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Glukeose posted:

Keep playing.

haha oh man really hope my original hypothesis about one of the characters is true now.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

If I was interested in cheating to make it winnable without using a walkthrough but still challenging, how much extra resources would I want to give myself? Or is it entirely an issue with twitch action / mission timing and planning?
I think they meant that you often just don't know where to find/how to complete quests, and hints provided in-game may be obtuse or hard to find. Maybe they polished it up a bit in the HD version, but back in the day at least some of the quest designs were not great. I say keep many separate save files, and if at the end of a day it says you've messed up the main quest, replay that day peeking at a walkthrough.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 4, 2015

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

haha oh man really hope my original hypothesis about one of the characters is true now.

It most likely is. I'm pretty sure I had the same thought at that point, because I didn't actually move the lever when I played, and the saw automatically toggled to Josh without my input.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I believe this is the reliable method to save everyone in Until Dawn. Obviously, don't click the drat black bars if you haven't beaten the game:

Mike: Can only die in the final scene if you fail the QTEs or don't choose "Save Mike" as Sam.

Sam: Can only die in the final scene if you fail the QTEs.

Jessica: When chasing the wendigo carrying her as Mike, always take the shortcut options and don't fail any QTEs. When playing as Matt in the mines, don't abandon her.

Emily: Don't fail the QTEs when being chased in the mine, choose to jump off the conveyor when given the option instead of staying on to the end, and obviously don't shoot her in the eye as Mike.

Matt: After the tower falls, choose to jump to safety instead of trying to save Emily. If you choose to save Emily, make sure he has the flare gun to use against the wendigo. And don't fail the QTEs at the end.

Chris: Choose to kill Josh and then himself instead of Ashley both times.

Ashley: Don't open the trap door in the mines.

Josh: When playing as Mike and Sam in the mines, go to the left in the water pool first and you'll find Hannah's diary where she reveals the truth of what happened to her and Beth.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

woodenchicken posted:

I think they meant that you often just don't know where to find/how to complete quests, and hints provided in-game may be obtuse or hard to find. Maybe they polished it up a bit in the HD version, but back in the day at least some of the quest designs were not great. I say keep many separate save files, and if at the end of a day it says you've messed up the main quest, replay that day peeking at a walkthrough.

Oh, cool, that makes sense. Thanks!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The voice of the narrator is supposed to tell you if a plot-critical character has survived/not survived the day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Korean horror game White Day is getting a PS4 remake with VR support. Who knows if it'll come to the West but I sure hope someone jumps on that train and capitalizes on a horror VR game quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3WwP_2AKNY

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I've only played through the first two days so far in Pathologic HD, but it seems somewhat comprehensible with the new translation? I tried the game originally after reading those Rock Paper Shotgun articles about it (like everyone else did, I suspect), and it felt like one of those pieces of media I appreciated existing but didn't really want to play. The new translation still feels off, but the original one felt like machine-translated gibberish half the time. I'm actually enjoying the game now, in as much as anyone can really "enjoy" Pathologic.

Big ol' tip I discovered for the first day playing as the Haruspex: don't kill the dog-head kid they tell you about on the edge of town. Talk to both the people in the warehouses who want him dead, spare him, then talk to both of the people who wanted him dead again. This will boost your reputation back up into neutral immediately so you don't spend 2/3rds of your first day running and hiding from murderous townsfolk. I had no idea how you were even supposed to get across the city to do your tasks as the Haruspex before figuring that out.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The teleporting dude on the CURIE, the weird blind mole people at Theta, even the numerous forced chase sequences – in theory incredibly obnoxious – have my heart racing. It works a lot better than I think it really should, basically, but it’s definitely a play-once-and-you’re-done thing – and since it doesn’t seem like it’ll be longer than eight hours or so, that’s not great value for the current price.

Wait, I forget the ship names. When you refer to the teleporting dude, are you talking about the Jiangshi aka lightbulb head or Johan Ross? Because the first one was used sparingly enough especially for the chase out of the ship that I liked it, but Ross kinda broke all the rules without much explanation and pretty much at the end just popped in like "Sup, I need you to resolve the B-plot, please press this button, kthnxbai" and that was lame as hell.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Popular Human posted:

I've only played through the first two days so far in Pathologic HD, but it seems somewhat comprehensible with the new translation? I tried the game originally after reading those Rock Paper Shotgun articles about it (like everyone else did, I suspect), and it felt like one of those pieces of media I appreciated existing but didn't really want to play. The new translation still feels off, but the original one felt like machine-translated gibberish half the time. I'm actually enjoying the game now, in as much as anyone can really "enjoy" Pathologic.

Big ol' tip I discovered for the first day playing as the Haruspex: don't kill the dog-head kid they tell you about on the edge of town. Talk to both the people in the warehouses who want him dead, spare him, then talk to both of the people who wanted him dead again. This will boost your reputation back up into neutral immediately so you don't spend 2/3rds of your first day running and hiding from murderous townsfolk. I had no idea how you were even supposed to get across the city to do your tasks as the Haruspex before figuring that out.

The new translation is accurate, it's more that Russian is a fairly poetic style of language anyway and the game is intentionally being obtuse. Native Russian readers and speakers have said the game is pretty obtuse with words.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Soma was an interesting game, I really like how it was basically covering two points of the Technological singularity. A Tesla quote would of been way more fittings for this game "You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 7, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Popular Human posted:

Or alternatively, kill him and take the medicine for yourself. Your reputation will suffer, but that thing can save a life if you're low on supplies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Part of me wants to play Pathologic HD but I backed the remake and I'd like to go in mostly blind. But at the same time I really want to know wtf the games story is and get some plot spoilers.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Apparently the reason they released Pathologic HD is that they're going to end up making some major changes to the storyline, and they didn't want to upset the people who just wanted the original game with a good translation.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Not sure if any of you cool dudes follows PCSX2, but for the longest time Gregory Horror Story did not work...but it does now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZT3IWHT_Lg. So if you ever wanted to play it then now seems to be the perfect opportunity for it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Niggurath posted:

So out of curiosity, how much replayability is there in Lakeview Cabin? I think the only reason I didn't pick it up originally was that some quick looks made it seem like it'd be super easy to run out of things to do or that the game seemed a bit aimless.

I accumulated 25 hours on it, according to Steam, including making friends play it and just watching them, which, imo, is the best part, because the game gives only contextual clues for the goal, and multiple player characters makes the fail state a gradual slide that feels preventable. It's a great game to "discover", and I'm probably a high end statistical outlier, but I kind of got obsessed with sussing out all the hidden stuff. Episode 3, really once you've beaten it is just about finding other ways of beating it, which has its own charm, but 4 and 5 start to put in things you could miss even having nominally "beaten" them. (Afaik the achievements cover everything, though.)

5 got a little wonky tbh. I think the developer was aware of the online community and tried to make it complicated enough that people would have to put their heads together on it, but the end result is not as tight as the other two. It's also hindered by a couple of bugs that can make some of the puzzles impossible, and a few counterintuitively inflexible object interactions, especially after the impressively open-ended episode 3.

For anybody stuck on Lakeview Cabin 5, but don't want to resort to a walkthrough just because of a design flaw (I will try to be vague):

E: oh, really important non-obvious mechanic: you can leave the phone, TV, etc, by holding space (character change button) for a second and letting go.
The Ouija board does do something other than reset to the eye. Just wait a bit longer. If it teleports to a random letter instead of sliding slowly, it's bugged. You can reset to fix it, and it's not game breaking, but I'd recommend it, as the Ouija board is continually useful (to a point).

If you stop taking fall damage, that's a bug, and potentially game-breaking. Might want to reset. (Your progress should be saved, excluding character states and item placement.)

If you're having trouble with the four symbols, it might be because the thing you do that causes them doesn't always take. This is a bug. Try repeating what you think is causing them a couple times.

The first hint that the ghost in the empty version of the pink house gives you can only be resolved with the football. :shrug: I think because it goes higher than other thrown objects?

If you leave the completed doll alone, it will go where it needs to be.

The second hint that that pink house ghost gives requires outside research and is laughably literal and only works with specific translations, but it's basically the same hint you can get from the newspaper clipping that you can find on the white bookshelf (there's a faded button prompt at the bookshelf, like the hidden actions in 4.)

The second game-within-a-game (... within a movie, within a game) very confusingly has a fail state that looks like a completion state. There's an important albeit vague hint about this in the manual that your inventory says is included with the game; the manual is an out-of-game .pdf that you can view by attempting to access Lakeview Cabin Collection's manual in the Steam window. :psyduck:

It seems important, but the portrait is actually just there to remind you of something you might have seen before. Don't bother dragging it around anywhere. Unless you just like to, I guess.

Uh. The solution to one of the puzzles was an otherwise unimportant texturing detail on the deepest hidden part of the place where you've possibly seen the portrait before? (Alternatively, just alta vista yourself a screenshot of the solution to the six-slot non-numeric code, this puzzle was motherfuckin abstruse)

If you find a multi-digit number and don't know what to do with it, you should probably know this episode reuses puzzle solutions. If something worked for one number, that doesn't rule it out of working for others as well.

You can and probably will accidentally do something that makes the A Ending impossible without starting a new game. This is by design, and it's not Cave Story levels of impossible to deduce, but it's a bit much. If you've made it to the spinning room, look for something familiar in there (apart from the obvious) and... think about what it is that you know that you can do that gets it to be somewhere else? That's how the community discussion kids ended up figuring it out, anyway.

Once you get the ginger hat man's silly black box, there are only a couple more things to do, but they involve following the box through time in a way that raises serious questions about metanarrative layers. If you've given the box to somebody, that's good. Where is that person? How else can you get there? And what could you put in a magic box that might give this story some resolution?

You know what after typing all of that I actually just hate the puzzles in episode 5, full stop.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 16, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that sounds loving awful

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that sounds loving awful

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
And the Friday the 13th kickstarter ended. Looks like the game got funded and a few goals met.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

A skin worth $100k.

Nckdictator posted:

And the Friday the 13th kickstarter ended. Looks like the game got funded and a few goals met.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that sounds loving awful

I've played that episode and I think I understood one of those hints. Also if you "stop taking fall damage" try not holding an object, any object you're holding onto breaks your fall for some reason.

Also that F13 game had way too loving many stretch goals, and they all read like fan fiction. But whatever, I'm sure the game will be fine.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Has anyone tried "Emily Wants to Play?" I saw part of an LP for it, and was thinking about picking it up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

synthetik posted:

Has anyone tried "Emily Wants to Play?" I saw part of an LP for it, and was thinking about picking it up.

I saw that too and wondered how it is, don't know if HarshlyCritical did any vids for it yet either. Looks decent for the price it's at right now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

HarshlyCritical does indeed have a video, two even because he thought it was entertaining enough for an extra :v:

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Speaking of Harshly Critical, he uploaded a video of the SYLVIO 2 prototype, which is now on kickstarter. It seems promisingly creepy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stroboskop/sylvio-2-open-world-horror-game

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I'm glad Sylvio is getting a sequel that's a bit prettier, more fleshed-out, and less red. I liked the original, though I had thought Juliette did not survive? They explicitly say she is "back" now, though, with the events of this game taking place after the events of the first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just played "Spirits of Xanadu." Intriguing low-budget, deliberately low-rez zero-textures graphics on a ship full of hallucinations and killer robots. I get the feeling the developers really liked System Shock 2, because one of the enemies is an exploding android that wants to play basketball with you. It's very short, but very cheap; I like it.