Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm super excited that we're getting these games because I didn't finish 8, and never even touched 7.

Also this gives me a glimmer of hope that we'll get the remakes of DQM 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

they added instant alchemy,

This owns and makes me wanna pick it up despite already playing the hell outta the ps2 version.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

I'm super excited that we're getting these games because I didn't finish 8, and never even touched 7.

Also this gives me a glimmer of hope that we'll get the remakes of DQM 1 and 2.

They will probably do Joker 3 at this point if sales do well. It's kinda late to be doing dqm 1 or 2, both of which are primarily online games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm shocked they announced both DQ7 and DQ8, honestly. I was sure they'd pick one and maybe come back to the other in 18 months when noone cares.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
DQM 1 and 2 are entirely playable offline

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

They will probably do Joker 3 at this point if sales do well. It's kinda late to be doing dqm 1 or 2, both of which are primarily online games.

What makes them primarily online? Like I remember that a lot of their extra time came from those randomly generated key worlds, but those weren't really restricted by being able to trade with other players or anything in the originals.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

What makes them primarily online? Like I remember that a lot of their extra time came from those randomly generated key worlds, but those weren't really restricted by being able to trade with other players or anything in the originals.

They have their respective main game scenarios and post game scenarios, but the meat of each are the weekly tournaments and wifi casual/ranked battles that occur, as well as online street passing and trading, etc. To give an example, dqm2 has a trophies system of which you might get 10% or so playing offline.

Also, each respective version is kinda like an expansion on the meta and gameplay of the previous one. The main stories are different, but the core game is the same with new monsters and abilities. It would make more sense to give us the most up to date iteration instead of trying to play catch up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the addition of new party members and the removal of random encounters are pretty big changes, but that's just me.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm shocked they announced both DQ7 and DQ8, honestly. I was sure they'd pick one and maybe come back to the other in 18 months when noone cares.

TBH there's not enough life left in the 3DS to do this.

Anyway, super glad both are finally coming. Also, cheers to the people who helped me out with my DQ8/PS2 question a few pages back. Turns out I was sold a defective PS2. A replacement fixed it right up :dance:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DQ8 3DS doesn't seem like any lazier port than DQ6 DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zophar posted:

TBH there's not enough life left in the 3DS to do this.

Sure, that's why I thought it's exactly what they'd do, condemning one game to death and/or cancellation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mikeycp posted:

So now that we're finally getting it, what exactly is enhanced about 3DS VII?

Zurai posted:

The big additions are playable Red and Morrie, and thus the ability to switch your party around rather than having the same 4 all the time. I assume the plot is also adjusted to accommodate them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Basically everything has been overhauled. Enemies appear on the field, the long rear end intro dungeon was removed, there's a Shard Detector Radar on the touch screen, classes are completely overhauled and rebalanced (some skills don't carry over between classes anymore, particularly the ones you pick up in advanced classes, so there's a greater emphasis on having characters fulfill specific roles).

This just confirms that nobody played DQVII. Spoilers the changes still won't make it good or fun or well-paced

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

This just confirms that nobody played DQVII. Spoilers the changes still won't make it good or fun or well-paced

I like Dragon Quest 7.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

mikeycp posted:

You're doing your part to get more DQ games west.

i did it, it was all due to my effort

TurnipFritter posted:

I like Dragon Quest 7.

Dragon Quest 7 is cool and good (though definitely long). I'm happy the game is finally making its way here :D

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Looper posted:

That's because the game was already all of those.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I hope they make the US release of DQ7 3DS harder. The Japanese version was way too easy.

I'm also really curious to see what the new localization is like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played DQ8 recently enough that by the time I'm done with DQ7, in, like, loving 2018, I'll be about ready to do 8 again. So I'm glad that when I do, there'll be new characters and stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

BabyRyoga posted:

They have their respective main game scenarios and post game scenarios, but the meat of each are the weekly tournaments and wifi casual/ranked battles that occur, as well as online street passing and trading, etc.

I mean, I still got close to 80 hours out of the first one completely offline, and I didn't even finish everything. If that's not the "meat" of the game, then there must be an absurd amount of online content.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mikeycp posted:

I mean, I still got close to 80 hours out of the first one completely offline, and I didn't even finish everything. If that's not the "meat" of the game, then there must be an absurd amount of online content.

More so with 2 than 1 admittedly. I think I got 55 hours out of 1 because I played it literally 2 weeks before 2 came out, and a whopping 240 out of 2, with the vast majority of that either battling against other people online in some form, or raising monsters specifically for the purpose of battling online.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really like the long rear end intro of Dragon Quest 7 though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
So, how IS the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 7 compared to the PS1 version? Is it still as long? Does it still have permanently leaving characters?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DQ8 3DS came out in Japan already right? How did that do?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Seems like it's been years that whenever I see a bunch of posts in this thread I click on it and get my hopes dashed.

But today :stare: wow.

I don't have a PS4 so thank you everyone who bought Heroes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boinks posted:

Seems like it's been years that whenever I see a bunch of posts in this thread I click on it and get my hopes dashed.

You're welcome. It's really fun

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Just finished Heros at the 60 hour mark and going into end game stuff. This game is really good and seems like fan service for any DQ fans. The sounds, graphics, characters all sync in incredible ways. I'm incredibly happy to hear a sequel is in the works for 2016.

I have such fond memories of playing dragon warrior 1 on my NES (it was the first game I was given next to SMB). Was DQ8 remade for PS3 or 4? I would love to play through that again. Also, I couldn't finish 7...I got about 75% and hit a grinding wall I could not get over. Still have the discs so I may drop those into my PS3 and try again.

Just wanted to throw my love for DW/DQ here!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Boinks posted:

Seriously, it's like the Christmas in November in terms of DQ announcements. I went from being pretty meh about videogames in 2016 to incredibly excited, which is a nice quick shift.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Skeezy posted:

DQ8 3DS came out in Japan already right? How did that do?

Came out in August, sold about close to 600k in its first 4 days which is good for a non Pokemon/Monster Hunter/Yokai watch title.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I really like the long rear end intro of Dragon Quest 7 though.

I think it did a really good job of establishing that monsters don't exist, because it's like, "Nope, no monsters on the world map" then you go to the forbidden zone and it's like "Nope, no monsters here either" and then you go into this huge dungeon and it's like "Nope, still no monsters, because they aren't around anymore" and then finally, finally, you get hurled into a dark world like you do towards the end of most Dragon Quest games and you encounter monsters and you come to this town that's under siege from monsters and it really drives home the "monsters are a huge loving problem for people" aspect.

Of course that all sort of falls apart when you start encountering monsters as random battles in the present and start encountering past towns that aren't under siege but have plenty of random encounters outside.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

In Training posted:

You're welcome. It's really fun

I might get a PS4 for Black Friday and this'll be the first game I play.

I was at Gamestop a week ago for their 4/$9 last gen sale and heard the DQ8 theme coming from one of their TVs and freaked out a little.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Boinks posted:

I might get a PS4 for Black Friday and this'll be the first game I play.

I was at Gamestop a week ago for their 4/$9 last gen sale and heard the DQ8 theme coming from one of their TVs and freaked out a little.

It is also going to be on the PC if you're waffling about getting a PS4

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tae posted:

Came out in August, sold about close to 600k in its first 4 days which is good for a non Pokemon/Monster Hunter/Yokai watch title.

I didn't actually mean how did it do in numbers. But that is good to know.

I just wanted to know if it plays fine or has issues or anything really.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Skeezy posted:

It's portable DQ8 with some bonuses/improvements in exchange for slightly worse graphics. Any complaint I've read against it is the "slightly worse graphics" part or people whining about wishing it was full of even more new stuff (as you can see in this thread even).

It's a really good game if you want a portable DQ8 or prefer on-field enemies to full random encounters. If you still enjoy pulling out your original copy of DQ8 and your PS2/emulating it and don't mind full random encounters maybe it's not so great. Or if you didn't like DQ8 to begin with it's probably not a good game either.

I'm going to buy it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

As i've stated here, my main criticism with it is that when you compare it to DQ7, it seems like a very low-effort cash cow re-release. If you like the game in general, there is nothing negative about it that will have you like it less on the 3DS than you did on the ps2, but the extras aren't all that exciting, and the version specific features that make use of 3DS console specific capabilities are almost entirely not present (no 3D, half pointless/half non-functional streetpass, no online bonus content) whereas DQ7 had very good implementation of all of those things.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial

BabyRyoga posted:

As i've stated here, my main criticism with it is that when you compare it to DQ7, it seems like a very low-effort cash cow re-release. If you like the game in general, there is nothing negative about it that will have you like it less on the 3DS than you did on the ps2, but the extras aren't all that exciting, and the version specific features that make use of 3DS console specific capabilities are almost entirely not present (no 3D, half pointless/half non-functional streetpass, no online bonus content) whereas DQ7 had very good implementation of all of those things.
You're acting like what they did with DQ7 is the standard rather than the exception. DQ7 is a complete remake of a game that sorely needed to be updated with modern features whereas DQ8 is a port of a game that already felt pretty modern which leaves it closer to the original version, so of course the conclusion will be that 8 was low-effort.

They don't need to be compared to each other. They're both great games, and if the point is to play through the stories of Dragon Quest 7 & 8 (which it is), you can't go wrong with these versions. Plus, it gives people a handheld option (if we're being honest that the iOS version of 8 is passable at best).

Anyway, visible monsters on the field, instant alchemy pot, and two additional playable characters alone are pretty nice additions. Compare this to the slew of HD remakes we got last gen where literally the only additions were HD graphics and trophy support. That is low effort.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who is playing through DQVIII for the first time right now, I'd give my left nut for an instant alchemy pot.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FinalTitan posted:

You're acting like what they did with DQ7 is the standard rather than the exception.

Well, to be fair, it usually is disappointing when the next itteration of a game in a series has fewer features than the previous one. DQ7 was also the first of the remakes to appear on the 3DS, so it felt like SQEX was setting the standard for the system at that point, which they pretty much did if you factor in the dqm remakes, which all contain most of said features as well.

DQ8 was first put on mobile platforms with no mention of a 3DS release, then came relatively out of no where as a remake. They threw in some nice extras and all to make sure there would be a reason for owners of the other versions to buy the new one as well, but overall, it feels like last generation DS level remake.

I guess a lot of people don't agree with me because they know only DS remakes, whereas I've been playing the 3DS ones and getting spoiled by the level of new content in them, thus expecting it to be a given at this point.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, to be fair, it usually is disappointing when the next itteration of a game in a series has fewer features than the previous one. DQ7 was also the first of the remakes to appear on the 3DS, so it felt like SQEX was setting the standard for the system at that point, which they pretty much did if you factor in the dqm remakes, which all contain most of said features as well.

DQ8 was first put on mobile platforms with no mention of a 3DS release, then came relatively out of no where as a remake. They threw in some nice extras and all to make sure there would be a reason for owners of the other versions to buy the new one as well, but overall, it feels like last generation DS level remake.

I guess a lot of people don't agree with me because they know only DS remakes, whereas I've been playing the 3DS ones and getting spoiled by the level of new content in them, thus expecting it to be a given at this point.

What did you actually want from a 3DS remake of 8? Like, my only complaint would be that it doesn't look as nice as the PS2 version.

But you seem to think that they should have overhauled systems or something and I'd like to know what those would be.

e: oh and I'd like a way to reset skill builds

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
DQ8 3DS - 3/10 "it could have been betterer"

That is why people are questioning the tone of your posts. You judge a product as it exists, not as it could have theoretically existed. As you'll probably find, most people in the west don't even care about 3D or streetpass and especially not if 3D would've meant even worse graphics overall.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Erg posted:

e: oh and I'd like a way to reset skill builds

Either that or show us some kind of skill tree so we know what we're working towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Decus posted:

As you'll probably find, most people in the west don't even care about 3D or streetpass and especially not if 3D would've meant even worse graphics overall.

Amen. Streetpass is 100% useless to me except for four days a year if I end up going to GenCon, and while the 3D is nifty, I play the majority of my time with it off.