Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

why? is 8 supposed to be bad? idk

Its awesome. Unless the 3DS port is bad, I don't know about that.

mateo360 posted:

Of course that would announce that after I bought the PSX version of 7 about a month ago.

Same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just bought dqv for ds is it good? i'm gonna play it and probably 8 when it comes out but i hear 7 is insanely long so i might wait on that until the time is right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Still have my PSX copy of DQ7 I got back when it first came out. :smuggo:

Real hurthling! posted:

If you like the classic DQ gameplay DQ7 is better and whatever you like about DQ8 is done better by DQ9. Unless you like British VAs I guess. :shrug:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

The 3ds version of 7 had new content, awesome street passing features, rehauled classes, etc.

The 3ds version of 8 is a low resolution iphone port with a useless street passing feature that in the extremely unlikely chance you get to work doesn't benefit you in any way or add anything to the game. It has new content too, but overall is very very underwhelming, and low effort.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

i just bought dqv for ds is it good? i'm gonna play it and probably 8 when it comes out but i hear 7 is insanely long so i might wait on that until the time is right.

5 is great and probably the closest DQ comes to a genuinely notable story

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

DQV is my favorite. It's got a really personal story for a jrpg. More centered around family than saving the world.

I'm so happy were getting DQVII and VIII.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Its my favorite one...DQV is so good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

The 3ds version of 7 had new content, awesome street passing features, rehauled classes, etc.

The 3ds version of 8 is a low resolution iphone port with a useless street passing feature that in the extremely unlikely chance you get to work doesn't benefit you in any way or add anything to the game. It has new content too, but overall is very very underwhelming, and low effort.

It's not the iphone port.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ7/8 3DS were announced in both regions, in case anyone's worried.

DQ8 3DS is based on the original codebase, DQ8 iOS is a Unity remake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know about VIII as I've already beaten/loved it on the PS2 but I will definitely buy VII 3DS if it comes out. So, yay.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

saw someone else post that in response to the news, felt pretty apropriate

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 3ds port of 8 having on-field enemies instead of random encounters is gonna be p nice

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Visible encounters are a really good compromise, understandable why not every RPG does that though.

I really can't believe this is real. I was just expecting that kickstarter idea they mentioned.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

2016 already shaping up to be a good year.

In regards to the VII and VIII announcement, is either one the kind where on the DS one screen is 8bit and the other is a 3d representation? If so, my hype meter will be so high.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

2016 already shaping up to be a good year.

In regards to the VII and VIII announcement, is either one the kind where on the DS one screen is 8bit and the other is a 3d representation? If so, my hype meter will be so high.

no, they're doing that with XI

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That's DQ11 which isn't out anywhere and doesn't have a release date, and if DQ 7/8 don't sell it probably won't come over.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I'm so very very happy right now. And that they announced both at the same time.

Honestly the 3DS is going to get cut short soon to make way for the NX, so, I'm really glad they finally got around to this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The announcement feels like those dreams I have where something minor, but nice happens and then I don't realize that only happened in a dream til later the afternoon and I'm disappointed.

Except it is happening this time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's DQ11 which isn't out anywhere and doesn't have a release date, and if DQ 7/8 don't sell it probably won't come over.

I think if they were planning on keeping it in Japan, they wouldn't make a PS4 version.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

no, they're doing that with XI

Darn. But it's okay. Getting three things I never thought would happen so I wont be too greedy. :shobon:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Evil Fluffy posted:

whatever you like about DQ8 is done better by DQ9

Nope. 9 is so very different from 8 I'm not even sure I understand how you can make a comparison. 8 has defined characters, 9 has player-made (and thus personality-less) characters. 8 has an interesting and involving story, I don't even remember anything about 9's story except the main character is an angel and there's a celestial train. 8 was a self-contained adventure, 9's post-game isn't even available any more because it was tied to SpotPass functionality which has been closed down (and it was boring and repetitive and lovely anyway). 8 was designed as a single-player game, 9 was explicitly designed as a multi-player game. I can go on, but really, they're different games from the word Go.

I'm not saying that 9 is bad or anything, just that trying to say it's better in every way than 8 is just strange because they're so very different.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

An important aspect of DQ7 3DS is that Gabo actually rides around on the wolf's back.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Srice posted:

It's not the iphone port.

It's a port that is basically based off the iphone version that was released, but with a few added benefits such as voice acting, orchestrated music, and the 3DS content additions. None of the things you would expect to be fine tuned for a 3DS release such as passable streetpass/online content, and full 3-D (I guess most people don't care about this) were implemented.

Most of the additions are things not present in the japanese ps2 ver that were done for the NA localization of the ps2 version anyways, so the port as a whole is mostly underwhelming for western audiences.

DQ7 is like playing an enhanced version of the psx game, whereas DQ8 is like playing a less pretty version of the ps2 game with a few minor additions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

It's a port that is basically based off the iphone version that was released,

No it isn't. You are also perhaps the only person in the world to care that much about streetpass, especially since it will be basically worthless regarldess of how good/bad it is outside of Japan.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think many players will enjoy having access to new party members (even if they're implemented like Vincent/Yuffie) and visible enemies.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So now that we're finally getting it, what exactly is enhanced about 3DS VII?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

mikeycp posted:

The big additions are playable Red and Morrie, and thus the ability to switch your party around rather than having the same 4 all the time. I assume the plot is also adjusted to accommodate them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Basically everything has been overhauled. Enemies appear on the field, the long rear end intro dungeon was removed, there's a Shard Detector Radar on the touch screen, classes are completely overhauled and rebalanced (some skills don't carry over between classes anymore, particularly the ones you pick up in advanced classes, so there's a greater emphasis on having characters fulfill specific roles).

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 13, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. You are also perhaps the only person in the world to care that much about streetpass, especially since it will be basically worthless regarldess of how good/bad it is outside of Japan.

OK, let me rephrase my criticisms.

the 3DS version of DQ8 feels and looks like (because it was probably, speculation) it was based off the iPhone port that came out before it, but has 2 new characters that you get ~80% of the way through the game, and orchestrated music/voice overs.

As for streetpassing, DQ8 has a streetpass feature where you take photos of stuff and send them to people online to get small rewards in exchange for your photos being favorited, but you can't get rewards from it because you have to pass the same randomly selected person via online pass twice for it to work, just like regular mii plaza passing

The 3DS version of DQ7 has online street passing that adds bonus dungeon maps similar to DQ9 to it., as well as dozens of SQex free DLC maps that add special monsters, bosses, and items to the game. This is a huge deal, and it is a big step back when you go up a game version that was hastily released, and features less content than its successor as a result.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 13, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

The 3DS version of DQ7 has online street passing that adds bonus dungeon maps similar to DQ9 to it., as well as dozens of SQex free DLC maps that add special monsters, bosses, and items to the game.

That isn't StreetPass, that's SpotPass.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zurai posted:

That isn't StreetPass, that's SpotPass.

You street pass random people online for user generated maps (that can be made via the monster park), and you also get bonus maps from SQex at any time as DLC that are released over time, similar to the way you would in DQ9.

Both have monsters and bosses unique to their respective dungeons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BabyRyoga posted:

Most of the additions are things not present in the japanese ps2 ver that were done for the NA localization of the ps2 version anyways, so the port as a whole is mostly underwhelming for western audiences.

The orchestrated music isn't the same as the NA PS2 version, the Japanese VA is new (not that it matters to most), they added instant alchemy, new characters, visible encounters, tweaked the difficulty/xp curve, added new dungeons, wireless features, the camera, etc.

If you don't like the new features or think they don't compensate for the graphical hit then fine, but don't act like they didn't do anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've recently gotten back into catching up on the Dragon Quest games I never played when they were new, because I hated Dragon Warrior 2 so much that I quit playing it halfway and never played another one until DQ8.

Is there any significant difference between the mobile and DS versions of DQ4-6? I got the mobile version of DQ3 and popping the game on, grinding through monsters for 10-20 minutes, then quick saving and putting my phone down seems to be the perfect way to play the game, so if the mobile versions of 4-6 aren't that much different I'll probably just get those version instead.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The orchestrated music isn't the same as the NA PS2 version, the Japanese VA is new (not that it matters to most), they added instant alchemy, new characters, visible encounters, tweaked the difficulty/xp curve, added new dungeons, wireless features, the camera, etc.

If you don't like the new features or think they don't compensate for the graphical hit then fine, but don't act like they didn't do anything.

I think it's a very low effort cash cow release when you compare it to all the previous remakes, and specifically DQ7. Everyone I know that played the Japanese version agrees 100%.

It's great they are releasing it here, and if you loved it the first time you'll love it again, but the game that is far more exciting coming here is DQ7.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am very happy about this. I will buy VII the day that it is released (preferably in cart format, if they make that), and I will probably get VIII as well if only to support the franchise.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still have my PSX copy of DQ7 I got back when it first came out. :smuggo:

If you like the classic DQ gameplay DQ7 is better and whatever you like about DQ8 is done better by DQ9. Unless you like British VAs I guess. :shrug:

British voice actors are worth sacrificing for!

(I'm a British voice actor)

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that DQ8 3DS isn't using the iphone port as a base.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

raditts posted:

Is there any significant difference between the mobile and DS versions of DQ4-6? I got the mobile version of DQ3 and popping the game on, grinding through monsters for 10-20 minutes, then quick saving and putting my phone down seems to be the perfect way to play the game, so if the mobile versions of 4-6 aren't that much different I'll probably just get those version instead.

The mobile versions are based on the DS versions and are pretty much identical; DQ4 mobile has some party chat stuff that wasn't translated for the DS version but that's the only major difference.

Some of the other mobile ports ran quite poorly but I think 4/5/6 are fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm glad that 8 doesn't have anything locked behind streetpass stuff because dang, that would mean the content would literally not exist to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Srice posted:

I'm glad that 8 doesn't have anything locked behind streetpass stuff because dang, that would mean the content would literally not exist to me.

Why, you don't have wifi and can't use the *ONLINE* street pass feature present in 7?