Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Speaking of Death Shroud, I really can't stand the whole farming scythe thing they have going and was thinking of turning them into war scythes.

Is this dumb Y/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Not at all, the Dacians used similar weapons, called a falx and they're sick as hell.

Also, glad everybody likes my Ultramarines! How about that there Gulliman, huh brothers?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Not at all, the Dacians used similar weapons, called a falx and they're sick as hell.

Also, glad everybody likes my Ultramarines! How about that there Gulliman, huh brothers?

Yeah man, the primarch of the first legion is pretty sweet.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

I've just ordered some death shroud and grave wardens because I'm a sucker for terminators. Thank God for comrade Forgeworldski.

Is it safe to assume that terminators without deep striking pretty much require a transport?

Unless they're a counter charge unit, or Siege Tyrants, they probably need a ride. Luckily you have quite a few options.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

...then you also need to figure out what to do with your two HQs and how they plan to get there.

quote:

+++ EC Take Two (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2000pts) ++
+ Legion +: Legion Astartes [III: Emperor's Children]

Legion Centurion (145pts) [Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker]
····Consul, Independent Character, Legiones Astartes
····Consul [Legion Champion]
········Honor of the Legion
Palatine Blade Squad (245pts) [Jump packs, 4x Palatine Warrior, 4x Pheonix Spear, Sonic Shriekers]
····Chosen Warriors, Counter-attack, Duellist's Edge, Legiones Astartes
····Palatine Prefector [Pheonix Spear]

Legion Praetor (150pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker]
····Independent Character, Legiones Astartes
····Master of the Legion [The Maru Skara]
········Master of the Legion
Phoenix Terminator Squad (530pts) [Land Raider Phobos, 4x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]
····Assault Vehicle, Implacable Advance, Legiones Astartes, Living Icon, Machine Spirit, Stubborn, Sudden Strike

Legion Tactical Squad (190pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Fury of the Legion, Legiones Astartes
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]
Apothecarion Detachment (60pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]
········Legiones Astartes

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Fury of the Legion, Legiones Astartes, Repair
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]
····Atomantic Shielding, Helical Targeting Array

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (275pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion Veteran Sergeant, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 2x Melta Gun, Outflank]
····Implacable Advance, Legiones Astartes, Outflank (Outflank), Repair, Veteran Tactics

Okay, how's this for a second take? I'm probably still weighing too heavily onto including both the Phoenix Terminators and the Palantine Blades, however with 2 tac squads and a tac vet squad with Praetor I was already at like 1100 points.

Upside is that this can be done fairly easily out of the Calth box.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Unless they're a counter charge unit, or Siege Tyrants, they probably need a ride. Luckily you have quite a few options.

Looks like the Deathshroud can only take a Phobos, but there is no model?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

TKIY posted:

Phobos is the fancy-schmancy way to refer to the standard Land Raider during the Heresy, since there's a gazillion variants running around in the standard lists.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

The Phobos is the standard, plastic Land Raider. :v:

Edit: Beaten.

If you have to shell out for a Heresy-lookin' one you could get the MkIIB upgrade kit. It's purely aesthetic and doesn't have any fancy rules though.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 12, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Ah sweet. Thanks for clarifying. I've got a lot to learn still.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Phobos is the fancy-schmancy way to refer to the standard Land Raider during the Heresy, since there's a gazillion variants running around in the standard lists.

And Mechanicum gets a build-a-raider kit that lets the player make almost any raider version in 30k or 40k, or even unique examples that don't obey the standard versions.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

According to the Crusade Army List book, you can also run 40k vehicles in 30k and state that they are non-standard patterns of whatever. The idea being that the legions experiemented with new poo poo all the time...

...so hello Land Raider (Great) Crusaders I suppose!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that's just for aircraft and LOWs, but yeah, the ammount of options is massive. I've had this army for years and I'm still finding combos.

koreban posted:

Okay, how's this for a second take? I'm probably still weighing too heavily onto including both the Phoenix Terminators and the Palantine Blades, however with 2 tac squads and a tac vet squad with Praetor I was already at like 1100 points.

Upside is that this can be done fairly easily out of the Calth box.

I'm not a fan, honestly. I think you're overspending on deathstars and not bringing enough other things to plug holes. Also as an EC player you should probably drop cataphractii armour from your Praetor since you want to sweep all day every day. Giving him a spear is also questionable as you'll be better off with the blade and +2 to your initiative. Here's an alternative list that leans heavily on the ECs glass hammer style of play using all the Calth models except the terminators:

code:
Emperors Children, The Maru Skara
1860 points

HQ
-Praetor, 150pts
-Champion, 145pts

Troops
-Tactical Squad, AA, Spear, Melta Bomb, CCWs, Rhino, 215pts
-Tactical Squad, AA, Spear, Melta Bomb, CCWs, Rhino, 215pts

Elites
-Veteran Tactical Squad, Rhino, 9 dudes, AA, Spear, x4 power axes, melta bombs, 335pts
-Legion Seeker Squad, Rhino, AA, Spear, x10 combi melta/plasma, 395pts
-Contemptor Mortis, x2 Kheres, 180pts

Fast Attack
-Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter, tank hunters, x2 kraken penetrator missiles, phosphex bomb cluster 225pts 
Here's how this list works. Your Champion rides with your veteran tactical squad. Turn 1 you start the game with two rhinos on the table along with the mortis dread. Turn 2 poo poo gets REAL. Your lightning strike fighter outflanks onto the table. That's right, that means it can't be intercepted. Fly it over some camping marines, murder them with phosphex, and then use your krakens to blow the hell out of an armored target. The goal is to pop a transport like a spartan and open the juicy contents. Then your seekers roll onto the table in their box. You marked their target (maybe even the squad inside the spartan) for death, and so this squad precedes to shoot x20 preferred enemy plasma shots into it. This will probably delete the unit outright. Then your veterans roll on with the soul intention to either melta bomb some vehicle into dust or to grab a midfield objective while carveing your way through most units in the backfield.

At 1860 you need to figure out what to do with your Praetor. I would suggest dropping a few seekers and mounting him up on a bike or giving him a jetpack. Then the bodyguard can be some outriders, platine blades, jetbikes, or a command squad. Or you could drop one of the Maru Skara units, make it a dreadclaw, and then put your praetor into it with 5 penix terminators.

I hope this demonstrates playing up the strengths of your legion and the crazy poo poo you can do even with what seem to be minor differences between the legions.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2015

Demons
May 27, 2011
Looking at running a small Night Lord Terror Assault force to start with. Haven't looked too much at points costs yet. Intention is Sevatar, a good sized unit of deep-striking Terminators, three Terror Squads with Volkite Chargers, big unit of Raptors, and probably a Dreadclaw or two. Usual criticism of this type of list is lack of anti-tank. What would be a good choice? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, modelling wise, what's the best way to denote an Apothecary?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Demons posted:

Looking at running a small Night Lord Terror Assault force to start with. Haven't looked too much at points costs yet. Intention is Sevatar, a good sized unit of deep-striking Terminators, three Terror Squads with Volkite Chargers, big unit of Raptors, and probably a Dreadclaw or two. Usual criticism of this type of list is lack of anti-tank. What would be a good choice? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, modelling wise, what's the best way to denote an Apothecary?

Melta bombs, rapier laser destroyers, castellax.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Fearless posted:

According to the Crusade Army List book, you can also run 40k vehicles in 30k and state that they are non-standard patterns of whatever. The idea being that the legions experiemented with new poo poo all the time...

...so hello Land Raider (Great) Crusaders I suppose!

What about... vehicle formations from 40k? :shepicide:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Okay final revision of my starter list. Put Typhon and his scythe homies in a LR. Have two footslogging apothecaried tacticals with a pair of dreads and a unit of grenade launching termies to babysit them. Rounded out with a heavy squad bringing some sweet chem-munitions to the party.

+++ Death Guard - 2k (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (705pts) +

Calas Typhon (705pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer, Hunter-killer Missile]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (555pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, 4x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (320pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (420pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (200pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]

So better anti-tank with the Raider there, still have the Deredeo for some anti-air, etc... Now to pay for it :(

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Figured this would be of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJ4QVvKaAM

Playthrough of the game they included with all the new cool plastics

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

What about... vehicle formations from 40k? :shepicide:

No. Also kill yourself

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok, so! The transfers in the Calth box for Word Bearers are actually Serrated Suns right, hence the daemon skull in the flame rather than just a good ol' burning book?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

ijyt posted:

Ok, so! The transfers in the Calth box for Word Bearers are actually Serrated Suns right, hence the daemon skull in the flame rather than just a good ol' burning book?

Don't think the box comes with transfers, but if they did it'll be Twisting Rune chapter (All the dudes who hated the Ultras so much that they were gonna be a liability) so their badge and the demon face markings if there is transfers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes you get transfers included in the Betrayal Box.

Here's a picture of them.

ijyt posted:

The Serrated Suns logo was just a sun emblem. The demon skull flaming book emblem included in the transfer sheet was what most of the Bearers seemed to sport once they'd gone all in with Chaos.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 12, 2015

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I stand corrected. Though I was right that it's Twisting Rune rather that Serrated Suns, who I think were all Gal Vorbak by Calith?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, Serrated Suns were mostly all Gal Vorbak by Isstvan then the left overs got reformed into the Consecrated Iron Chapter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the patience in answering my endless questions.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
My favourite thing in 40k is the Imperial Guard or whatever they're called now. Could anyone talk about the regular human faction? Are they pushovers? Does anyone play them? Will they be supported at all?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

My favourite thing in 40k is the Imperial Guard or whatever they're called now. Could anyone talk about the regular human faction? Are they pushovers? Does anyone play them? Will they be supported at all?
There's a full blown militia list you could easily use IG models for. They don't have the full list of options their 40k counterparts do, but they are highly customizable and can take army-wide doctrines. These can range from genetically engineered super-barbarians to squats in power armor with souped-up guns and a bunch of land raiders. Or warp cults, they're always an option. All of this stuff's in book V.

Additionally, there's a list of elite human soldiers, the Solar Auxilia. They're the dudes on Forge World's site rocking the flanged pressure suits. They're meant to be second to only the space marines and have an army list in book IV. Seeing as how their models are FW only, this is a really expensive option.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want to like you, Angel's Wrath rite of war, but you don't work for jetbikes.

Is there a way to build it well, or some angle I'm missing? Hit and run doesn't seem like a massive game changer and jump pack infantry is expensive as hell. I like the theme because this is the first time in a while I've enjoyed me some Blood Angels.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yeah the militia list is a bit overwhelming at first but you quickly realise you can make any possible permutation of army. Tank heavy? Warp horde? Beast men? Elite dudes? Artillery? Heavy support squad with ap3 autocannon?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

No. Also kill yourself

I think formations would make 30k more interesting because

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lord Twisted posted:

Yeah the militia list is a bit overwhelming at first but you quickly realise you can make any possible permutation of army. Tank heavy? Warp horde? Beast men? Elite dudes? Artillery? Heavy support squad with ap3 autocannon?

Beastmen? Oh really...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Man, this thread and the new box set have really tempted me to start an army. I always found heresy era to be the most compelling fluff-wise. Nevermind that literally everyone I know has quit playing/collecting GW games entirely. Anyone know how the Calth box set scenarios/rules hold up so far? Is there anything worthwhile in the box besides cheap(er) plastic dudes? Could I potentially use it as an intro to lure people into starting 30k armies with me? :homebrew:

As a hypothetical aside, I've been looking for tough/shooty traitor legions, anything I should look into besides Death Guard and Iron Warriors? Neither excite me much aesthetically, although I sorta like the fluff of death guard at least.

edit: oh god what am I doing, I haven't played 40k since like, '98 :cripes:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hauki posted:

Man, this thread and the new box set have really tempted me to start an army. I always found heresy era to be the most compelling fluff-wise. Nevermind that literally everyone I know has quit playing/collecting GW games entirely. Anyone know how the Calth box set scenarios/rules hold up so far? Is there anything worthwhile in the box besides cheap(er) plastic dudes? Could I potentially use it as an intro to lure people into starting 30k armies with me? :homebrew:

As a hypothetical aside, I've been looking for tough/shooty traitor legions, anything I should look into besides Death Guard and Iron Warriors? Neither excite me much aesthetically, although I sorta like the fluff of death guard at least.

edit: oh god what am I doing, I haven't played 40k since like, '98 :cripes:

I watched the video GW put out, and it's like they're actually doing marketing. They show people (real live people) having fun playing a game. And you get a fairly clear understanding of the rules. And it looks like a fun board game.

For shooty have you thought about Alpha Legion as an outsider choice?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hauki posted:

Those two are the tough/shooty legions among the traitors, unfortunately. World Eaters, Night Lords, and Emperor's Children are all very melee-oriented. Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion can go either way.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
What's wrong with the Iron Warriors

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Recoome posted:

Some people just don't like having cool armies.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Hauki posted:

Word Bearers are tough, for a certain value of "tough." They roll 3d6 for Leadership checks instead of 2d6, so good luck getting them to break and run. Gal Vorbak are also T5 W2 with a 3+/5++ save, while the Bladeslaves are T5 and W3 with It Will Not Die. Of course, those last two are choppy rather than shooty, so they may not be quite what you're looking for.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

Pros: half decent special rules (no Morale from shooting and re-roll failed Pinning tests), good special units, real good characters, 2nd or 3rd best Primarch in the game.

Cons: half poo poo special rules (grenades and melta bombs get Wrecker, The Bitter End), Warsmiths are lame and locked into a spectacularly lovely warlord trait, uninspired rite of war, almost no model support from Forgeworld. And the upgrade packs they do get don't really show off what people think of with Iron Warriors.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

panascope posted:

And the upgrade packs they do get don't really show off what people think of with Iron Warriors.

What, this doesn't scream "Iron Warriors" to you?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Pros: half decent special rules (no Morale from shooting and re-roll failed Pinning tests), good special units, real good characters, 2nd or 3rd best Primarch in the game.

Cons: half poo poo special rules (grenades and melta bombs get Wrecker, The Bitter End), Warsmiths are lame and locked into a spectacularly lovely warlord trait, uninspired rite of war, almost no model support from Forgeworld. And the upgrade packs they do get don't really show off what people think of with Iron Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Anything is an Iron Warrior if you're brave enough to paint hazard stripes on it.