Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm giving the bladed coat a try, in Nilgoow's favorite colors.

I love the obvious dervish inspiration but it's just so... busy.
On the bright side, you do look like something out of the recent Deus Ex games.

I don't really like much of the bladed armour sets apart from the light helm because it's a Doctor Doom mask on Asura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If it weren't for the stupid penishook sticking out of the belt on the heavy bladed pants I could see using them but I am way too freudian to be able to get past that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The medium chest has what Tricks has dubbed the "tittyclaw." :downs:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The mistward chestpiece is also disappointingly grabby on female alts. Nothing else matches the leggings and my norn guard needs some better duds, drat it

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Bird "the colors don't match".

Also dressing up a class you don't play. :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The medium chest has what Tricks has dubbed the "tittyclaw." :downs:
Light top on women has mega cleavage with a row of those resting directly on top of them. It's a shame because the rest of the top actually looks okay.

Illuyankas posted:

The mistward chestpiece is also disappointingly grabby on female alts. Nothing else matches the leggings and my norn guard needs some better duds, drat it
Yeah, I spent a long time playing around with combinations of races/genders using Mistward in the beta and couldn't make any of them not look slutty or out of place so I just gave up and don't have any Revenants that use female armour pieces :v:

e: Mistward legs work well with Phalanx on male characters. I'm using that combo on my Sunspear Cosplaying Rev:

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 13, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lyer posted:

Bird "the colors don't match".

Also dressing up a class you don't play. :v:

It's Lorikeet's turn to map HoT!

:shepface:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Gliding needs to be everywhere else too. I mean, if they're worried it will make cheesing jp's easy just turn it off for those specific bits but holycrap gliding. Yes. Always. Everywhere.

For one thing, seeing everyone zoom about would surely promote the expansion to those still playing without it - since they don't get to see it in action if it's only used in maps they can't get to.

Leave out updrafts and you can't really use it to get up to places you'd normally have to jump could you? Or make it sink faster I don't know. At least I'd die less loving up that goddamned Caledon JP or dodge rolling off cliffs. People would be out there on all the maps finding places to just glide around. I know I would.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tambaloneus posted:

Gliding needs to be everywhere else too. I mean, if they're worried it will make cheesing jp's easy just turn it off for those specific bits but holycrap gliding. Yes. Always. Everywhere.

For one thing, seeing everyone zoom about would surely promote the expansion to those still playing without it - since they don't get to see it in action if it's only used in maps they can't get to.

Leave out updrafts and you can't really use it to get up to places you'd normally have to jump could you? Or make it sink faster I don't know. At least I'd die less loving up that goddamned Caledon JP or dodge rolling off cliffs. People would be out there on all the maps finding places to just glide around. I know I would.
Absolutely. I've been looking around for places where it would break things and... maybe jumping puzzles and some parts of dungeons? Have an area debuff that prevents using gliding in those areas, problem solved.

The "worst" thing it would do is maybe make some vistas easier to get to in rare cases.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kenshin posted:

Absolutely. I've been looking around for places where it would break things and... maybe jumping puzzles and some parts of dungeons? Have an area debuff that prevents using gliding in those areas, problem solved.

The "worst" thing it would do is maybe make some vistas easier to get to in rare cases.
It would certainly reduce the number of times I've killed myself trying to glide while I'm in Tyria :shepicide:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Mercurius posted:

It would certainly reduce the number of times I've killed myself trying to glide while I'm in Tyria :shepicide:

I've rezzed a few of those poor souls. It will be me one day, I know it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kenshin posted:

The problem is less balance and more the amount of work it would take removing/retooling all the invisible walls you'd constantly crash into

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Yeah... I've done that a few times.

I've wanted to jump off ledges quite a few more times but stopped just before I did realizing I wouldn't be able to glide.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tambaloneus posted:

Gliding needs to be everywhere else too

In the new borderlands too. I lept off a huge cliff last night thinking I could glide but nope splat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Playing how I have for the last 3 years has not gotten me even close to the masteries required to do the things I enjoy, like map completion. That's why I have to grind. And I play the expansion because it's a major content update to a game that's been stale for years? You're being pretty ridiculous and condescending towards other people's personal opinions.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be condescending. I'm just frustrated because it feels like this argument has been coming up every couple of days since the expansion was first released and I'm still having a lot of trouble understanding people complaining about grinding. The last couple of pages have been much more helpful in that than the last few weeks of argument so that's something at least. I can totally get being frustrated that you can't reach or do what looks like a cool leyline gliding puzzle, I guess the thing I'm having trouble with is that once you've done that puzzle or whatever it is, then you've done it. If masteries didn't exist, wouldn't you just complete the maps once each and do each puzzle and then have run out of content you enjoy? That's a genuine question, I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

I do think that displaying mastery ranks is really stupid on a number of levels and absolutely is contributing to people feeling like they have to grind them out. I have a feeling it's especially going to be an issue when raids are out since masteries are important for them. Actually, even if the number wasn't displayed I can see where people are going to feel like they need to grind boring PvE content to be better at raids and that's a definite problem. But I'm actually really enjoying the current mastery system, I like knowing that in six months' time or even a year's time I'm still going to be getting cool new skills and the ability to reach bits of map and do things that I couldn't do before.

ETA: Having thought about it for a few seconds, maybe the thing is I don't trust Anet to provide me with cool new skills and bits of map and things that aren't currently in the game at any point in the future, so I'm relying on masteries to do that. But that might be a function of me only having played since January, since I wasn't there while LS S2 was going on and the new maps were released. Maybe they'll keep releasing stuff faster than I can keep up and then I too will be irritated by the mastery grind, who knows.

ETA #2: I think part of the reason this argument bugs me is because to me it sounds like people are spending hours doing something they hate in order to experience maybe a few minutes of new content and then have no new content to experience anymore, and at that point they're just going to be even more mad and disappointed that they spent all this time grinding only for it to turn out that they have hardly any more content to access. If that was the trade-off I was facing, I know I wouldn't bother with the expansion at all. I'd probably be bitter about it, but at least I wouldn't be both bitter and wasting my time.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Here you go ANET. Make these into backpieces / shields and I will gladly collect the 100,000 you make on gem sales. TIA.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/11/blooms-of-insect-wings-created-by-photographer-seb-janiak/

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Was trying to farm Auric weapon with sPvP track, then realized I should have just farmed Exalted masteries instead. Game's totally balanced.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

Was trying to farm Auric weapon with sPvP track, then realized I should have just farmed Exalted masteries instead. Game's totally balanced.

Pretty sure you can't do that anyways, the AB track is not repeatable.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

malhavok posted:

Pretty sure you can't do that anyways, the AB track is not repeatable.
You can only do it once? Welp. Oh well I was just trying to see how sPvP was since HoT was out, but I see that certain elite traits are way too powerful.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be condescending. I'm just frustrated because it feels like this argument has been coming up every couple of days since the expansion was first released and I'm still having a lot of trouble understanding people complaining about grinding. The last couple of pages have been much more helpful in that than the last few weeks of argument so that's something at least. I can totally get being frustrated that you can't reach or do what looks like a cool leyline gliding puzzle, I guess the thing I'm having trouble with is that once you've done that puzzle or whatever it is, then you've done it. If masteries didn't exist, wouldn't you just complete the maps once each and do each puzzle and then have run out of content you enjoy? That's a genuine question, I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

I do think that displaying mastery ranks is really stupid on a number of levels and absolutely is contributing to people feeling like they have to grind them out. I have a feeling it's especially going to be an issue when raids are out since masteries are important for them. Actually, even if the number wasn't displayed I can see where people are going to feel like they need to grind boring PvE content to be better at raids and that's a definite problem. But I'm actually really enjoying the current mastery system, I like knowing that in six months' time or even a year's time I'm still going to be getting cool new skills and the ability to reach bits of map and do things that I couldn't do before.

ETA: Having thought about it for a few seconds, maybe the thing is I don't trust Anet to provide me with cool new skills and bits of map and things that aren't currently in the game at any point in the future, so I'm relying on masteries to do that. But that might be a function of me only having played since January, since I wasn't there while LS S2 was going on and the new maps were released. Maybe they'll keep releasing stuff faster than I can keep up and then I too will be irritated by the mastery grind, who knows.

ETA #2: I think part of the reason this argument bugs me is because to me it sounds like people are spending hours doing something they hate in order to experience maybe a few minutes of new content and then have no new content to experience anymore, and at that point they're just going to be even more mad and disappointed that they spent all this time grinding only for it to turn out that they have hardly any more content to access. If that was the trade-off I was facing, I know I wouldn't bother with the expansion at all. I'd probably be bitter about it, but at least I wouldn't be both bitter and wasting my time.

i reckon cos he found this cool thing and he wants to do it, but he's 'not allowed' because he doesnt have X mastery which is really only useful in super niche situations

so he could spend a long time grinding it out, just to do this one thing, and maybe two or three others. but that's not worth the time

the problem with that JP is that ley line gliding isnt required as a necessary part of how the puzzle works, but an artificial part - they could easily just add a couple extra shrooms to make some jumps possible, or even some ley line shortcuts, but instead you either have it or you can't do the JP

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Who can I whisper for an invite to UNTZ? I have both guys from the OP but haven't seen either of them on.

Fair warning, I'm terrible at PVP.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Organza Quiz posted:

I admit I'm flabbergasted at being asked why I'm irritated about having to grind PvE events for weeks to do a jumping puzzle, or why I don't like repeating content past the point that it stops being novel and interesting. So what if it means the new content takes 20 hours to "complete" instead of 400. I'm not getting any more value out of those extra 380 hours except I guess it distracts me from thinking too deeply about how I'm spending my youth. Guild Wars didn't used to be a blatant skinner box. The only thing you had to grind for were legendaries, which is why I have never gotten a legendary. It's why I'm not playing this game in the awful state it's in. I don't have a group of GW2 buddies I love to play with that can make it tolerable. Or rather, I did, and they all realized that HoT sucked poo poo before I did and bailed.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Ok guys don't use the new elite specs in esports or you are a bad.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I dig that spelling of "incompetence."

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
At this point Anet would have been better off raising the level cap. MMO players are 100% fine with entire zones being restricted, but they appear to short circuit when a zone is restricted in a piecemeal manner. You have creatively bankrupt WoW-style heat map world design to thank for that.

For the record I think GW2 was in desperate need of an Alternate Advancement knockoff like the Mastery system, but it should have been solely for cosmetic or QOL stuff. Grind eleventy jillion XP and you can unlock the Elite costume piece, or a different color for your Mesmer Shatters, or Autoloot/Autosalvage/Auto-consume Luck, or 12 various colors of Mentor Apples, or special titles, or passive particle effects.

Put all the current mastery stuff behind story completion, where it would actually make some goddamned sense. Or hell, just put gliding poo poo behind the main story, and have totally separate quest lines for the frogs/exalted/toads(?). Granted that would probably be too much :effort: for ANet.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Income Panties

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The mastery xp requirements seem like a half-hearted attempt to pad the play time so their $20-30 xpac feels like a $50 one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All good, I'm getting a weird and strong deja vu right now and don't really want to argue this again at all, but it's all good dude, I get what you're saying and I'm glad my example helped.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

See also: "specializations". :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

See also: "specializations". :v:

That's actually the correct spelling, as it's British English.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

boho posted:

a different color for your Mesmer Shatters.

I would buy so many gems if they put this in the store.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's like trying to explain something to a child who keeps asking "BUT WHY?" It's just a different frame of reference. Some people don't play games for fun. Some see the purpose of playing a video game as staking out a position in a hierarchy defined not by how good your grades are, or how much money you make, nor even by how hot your wife is or how many friends you have, but by how much time you spend playing that game. Nothing but every second of your time is required to excel within that hierarchy, whereas at most other pursuits you might also need some effort or skill. Arus, nice, popular guy that he is, is being awfully polite by not calling you a hosed up retard in response to your blithe condescension but I am not that polite. I hope you get a massive hemorrhoid that pops while you're grinding spiders or whatever and you bleed out at your desk. I'm not saying that to be mean. For your sake I hope that you die quickly, doing what you love while you're young and have no regrets, rather than in forty years wondering why you spent all that time playing Guild Wars 2.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

at the date posted:

It's like trying to explain something to a child who keeps asking "BUT WHY?" It's just a different frame of reference. Some people don't play games for fun. Some see the purpose of playing a video game as staking out a position in a hierarchy defined not by how good your grades are, or how much money you make, nor even by how hot your wife is or how many friends you have, but by how much time you spend playing that game. Nothing but every second of your time is required to excel within that hierarchy, whereas at most other pursuits you might also need some effort or skill. Arus, nice, popular guy that he is, is being awfully polite by not calling you a hosed up retard in response to your blithe condescension but I am not that polite. I hope you get a massive hemorrhoid that pops while you're grinding spiders or whatever and you bleed out at your desk. I'm not saying that to be mean. For your sake I hope that you die quickly, doing what you love while you're young and have no regrets, rather than in forty years wondering why you spent all that time playing Guild Wars 2.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

at the date posted:

:frogbon:

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's actually the correct spelling, as it's British English.

But, but, I'm MURICAN.

In other news, DH PVP is silly amounts of fun. Blender trap for dayzzzz.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

at the date posted:

rather than in forty years wondering why you spent all that time playing Guild Wars 2.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Why does that exact conversation occur so drat often

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Why does that exact conversation occur so drat often

Because people like Kes I guess.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmericanGeeksta posted:

But, but, I'm MURICAN.

In other news, DH PVP is silly amounts of fun. Blender trap for dayzzzz.
DH PvP is dumb.

• Locked thread