Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

British war heroes: destroying the Spanish Armada and French navy all at once with just one hand

Canadian war heroes: getting drunk on a park bench and whining about PTSD

Generally curious, in your world where we get rid of the CAF, who ensures our sovereignty? Do we cede to the US?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Liberals no longer promising to reopen Veterans Affairs office in Sydney.

Liberals waffling on the overseas mission.

Liberals say the cupboard is bare, we can't afford all the infrastructure spending they promised.

Who is surprised?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

Liberals no longer promising to reopen Veterans Affairs office in Sydney.

Liberals waffling on the overseas mission.

Liberals say the cupboard is bare, we can't afford all the infrastructure spending they promised.

Who is surprised?

These Liberals, surely they could not be libbing already

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It just shows how thoughtful and reasonable they are, willing to adapt to changing circumstances. The Natural Governing Party is back.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herh said they would be reopening those offices but maybe putting them in different locations.

Links to your other two claims please.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Here is some justice served under the strong arm of the Canadian Justice System

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2013/2013onca541/2013onca541.html

quote:

[25] A joint submission was accepted by the sentencing judge. Swartz was sentenced to pay a fine of $22,500 per count for a total of $90,000. The maximum penalty for individuals, including a director, under OHSA is $25,000: see OHSA, s. 66(1). Swartz was also required to pay a statutorily required 25% Victim Fine Surcharge: O. Reg. 161/00, s. 1. All criminal charges against Swartz were withdrawn by the Crown.

[49] The sentencing judge concluded that the penalty recommended by the Crown would likely drive the respondent into bankruptcy[:qq:]. He was satisfied that a fine of $200,000 plus a Victim Fine Surcharge of 15% or $30,000 was appropriate. He observed that this was three times the net earnings of the business in its last profitable year and should send a “clear message” of the importance of worker safety to all businesses.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/08/14/charges_laid_in_scaffolding_accident_that_killed_4_workers.html

quote:

Charges carrying fines of up to $17,000,000 have been laid against two companies that ran and supplied a platform that collapsed in Etobicoke on Christmas Eve, plunging four migrant workers to their deaths.

Individual executives and supervisors at the companies could also face years in jail after a total of 61 charges were issued by the provincial labour ministry Saturday.

They come after an exhaustive, seven-month investigation into the Dec. 24th incident, which saw five eastern European workers fall 13 storeys from the side of a Kipling Ave. apartment building.

One of the workers miraculously survived.

Some 30 charges were brought under the Occupational Health and Safety Act against Metron Construction Corporation, who employed the workers. Another 16 were levelled against a director of that company and eight more against a Metron supervisor, said ministry spokesperson Matt Blajer.

Platform supplier Swing ‘N’ Scaff faces four charges while three were laid against a director of the company.

Each of the corporate charges carries a potential $500,000 fine, Blajer said.

Penalties for the unnamed individuals range up to $25,000 in fines and a year in jail for each allegation.

The tragedy, the city’s worst workplace accident in a generation, sparked a provincial review of the system that protects Ontario workers and a safety blitz of construction sites.
The blitz led to the shutdown of 784 dangerous jobs on sites throughout Ontario.

Together Saturday’s charges paint a picture of shoddy or absent maintenance, supervision and construction and a woeful lack of safety training at the Kipling Ave. site.
“Generally speaking the charges relate to 12 major points,” Blajer says.

Together the charges paint a picture of shoddy or absent maintenance and supervision, and a woeful lack of safety training and equipment.

None of the charges has been proved in court.

“Generally speaking the charges relate to 12 major points,” Blajer says.

The charges allege “failure to ensure workers use proper devices to prevent them from falling... failure to ensure the platform was not overloaded (and) failure to ensure the platform was designed in accordance with regulations of the Occupational Health and Safety Act,” he said.

Charges also relate to allegations of inadequate training, instruction and supervision on fall prevention, a failure to ensure the platform was supplied in good condition and a lack of proper maintenance and adequate inspection.

Ministry stop work orders on the site were issued against Metron at least twice in the months leading up to the accident, mostly dealing with safety concerns.

John Cartwright, president of the Toronto and York Region Labour Council, said the charges point to a serious and thorough investigation by the ministry.

“I would say I’m very pleased that the ministry has obviously combed all of the details of what happened at this tragic event,” Cartwright said.

He said, however, that criminal charges should be brought against the employers, in order to further deter others in the “underground economy” who often take advantage of migrant workers.

Some employers “really prey on immigrant workers, refugees who don’t feel they have any right to stand up to for proper safety conditions or demand the proper training necessary,” he said.

The dead included 40-year-old Vladimir Korostin, a father of two from Uzbekistan who was seeking refugee status in Canada.

Also killed were Aleksey Blumberg, a newly married refugee claimant from Ukraine, and Russian Alexander Bondorev.

Fayzullo Fazilov 31, perished as well, while a fifth man, Dilshod Marupov, who managed to hang onto the collapsed platform momentarily before falling, suffered serious leg and spinal injuries.

Metron president Joel Swartz did not reply to email requests for comment.

Hearings into the charges will begin at the Ontario court of justice in Toronto on Sept. 30.

In January, bowing to pressure from organized labour and relatives of victims, Queen’s Park said it would review the system that protects workers in this province.

Tony Dean, the respected former head of the Ontario Public Service, was named to chair a panel of safety experts, labour groups and employers to recommend changes by next fall.

Since 1990, more than 400 workers have been killed in construction mishaps.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said he was “absolutely committed” to ensuring the safety of work sites.

“I would be eager to receive any recommendations to see what more we may do to make sure that our construction sites are safe,” McGuinty said.

The expert advisory panel will go beyond the construction industry to review the entire system of occupational health, safety, prevention and enforcement, Labour Minister Peter Fonseca said at the time. “Even one death or injury in a workplace is too many,” he said.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly are you complaining about?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Jordan7hm posted:

jm20 is asking for people to preface their posts with "I am not a lawyer" just like how he posts (read: never) that he's "not a psychologist" while he is going on about sentencing for the mentally ill.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

quote:

They come after an exhaustive, seven-month investigation into the Dec. 24th incident, which saw five eastern European workers fall 13 storeys from the side of a Kipling Ave. apartment building.

quote:

All criminal charges against Swartz were withdrawn by the Crown.

You life doesn't matter, our justice system is a joke.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

jm20 posted:

Feel free to reference some case law from canlii as I asked, eager to see these long sentences for vehicular manslaughter.

Here is some justice served under the strong arm of the Canadian Justice System

I've been reading your posts for the past few pages and I have to admit, I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're arguing for or against, aside from the "do the crime, serve the time" quote from above. Again, I don't really get what the issue is here. We seem to even have a lawyer in the thread that you're somehow not engaging with either. What's the issue you're trying to discuss?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/2015/11/11/canada-headed-toward-orderly-and-responsible-withdrawal-of-airstrikes-in-iraq-syria/44181

As far as I can tell a few bombings went on in the first few days in Novembers. Of course, it's not as if the instant Trudeau took power every overseas military personal drops their weapons and begins trudging home.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Christ, could you people at least wait until parliament sits before you freak the gently caress out about how the Liberals are going to gently caress us all?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

You life doesn't matter, our justice system is a joke.

I can imagine it would be hard to get a conviction when some of the employees were high.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Vasler posted:

I've been reading your posts for the past few pages and I have to admit, I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're arguing for or against, aside from the "do the crime, serve the time" quote from above. Again, I don't really get what the issue is here. We seem to even have a lawyer in the thread that you're somehow not engaging with either. What's the issue you're trying to discuss?

I am saying is that, contrary to the posters who think the justice system is working as intended, we seriously, IMO, under sentence crimes resultant in the deaths of people. From impaired driving, to driving while old, to safety mishaps, etc.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

I can imagine it would be hard to get a conviction when some of the employees were high.

Go visit a construction site, and report back to this thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Did you always have this giant stick up your rear end, or is it a recent acquisition?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

jm20 posted:

I am saying is that, contrary to the posters who think the justice system is working as intended, we seriously, IMO, under sentence crimes resultant in the deaths of people. From impaired driving, to driving while old, to safety mishaps, etc.

Kindly tell us what an "adequate sentence" might be for these sort of crimes. :allears:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

jm20 posted:

I guess the question I have then is, how do you come to the conclusion that a sentence is too long or too short? What is your basis for making that claim? Perhaps you're a lawyer or have some experience in law? I don't mean this sarcastically but I am curious how you actually sit down and decide that a judge has sentenced someone incorrectly and how you reach that conclusion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

Go visit a construction site, and report back to this thread.

You don't think the workers being high might affect their employer's culpability to some degree?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vasler posted:

I guess the question I have then is, how do you come to the conclusion that a sentence is too long or too short? What is your basis for making that claim? Perhaps you're a lawyer or have some experience in law? I don't mean this sarcastically but I am curious how you actually sit down and decide that a judge has sentenced someone incorrectly and how you reach that conclusion.

It's no different than any other tough-on-crime pinhead's logic: a Bad Thing happened, someone must be harshly punished!

jm20, do you think if a drug dealer sells heroin to an addict and the addict suffers a fatal overdose, they should be charged with murder? That's the newest tough-on-crime nonsense, for when brutally punishing other forms of negligence stops making you hard.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

jm20 posted:

By what metric are these crimes 'under sentenced'? What do you hope to accomplish with longer sentencing? All I can gather from your posting is that you're attempting to quench some thirst for retribution or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OSI bean dip posted:

Kindly tell us what an "adequate sentence" might be for these sort of crimes. :allears:

50 years, iso-cube.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

50 years, iso-cube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6C1gSbS2os

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

Christ, could you people at least wait until parliament sits before you freak the gently caress out about how the Liberals are going to gently caress us all?

In which the Conservatives' fudging of the budget numbers would not have affected a hypothetical NDP government because of ~magic~

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
This was just a cunning ploy to get himself a different avatar than OSI bean dip.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Drunk driving isn't the same as a murder you plan out and wilfully commit. It's a lot closer to manslaughter.

By this logic I should be able to walk into a crowded place, put on a blindfold, and start spinning around with a chainsaw in my hands. OOPS IT WAS AN ACCIDENT I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

Just loving execute anyone who drives drunk. gently caress the suspended sentences, gently caress the license suspensions. Just loving kill them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

crowoutofcontext posted:

I think one of the many reasons for this is because the criminal justice system isn't only about punishing/reforming the perpetrator but restoring damage to the victims.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BAAAHAHAHAHAHA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gus Hobbleton posted:

By this logic I should be able to walk into a crowded place, put on a blindfold, and start spinning around with a chainsaw in my hands. OOPS IT WAS AN ACCIDENT I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

Just loving execute anyone who drives drunk. gently caress the suspended sentences, gently caress the license suspensions. Just loving kill them.

To digress briefly from your inane analogy: if you were a lumberjack, and you showed up to work drunk and accidentally killed someone with your chainsaw as a result, do you really think it ought to be treated the same as purposefully killing someone? It's a grave crime, but it's not nearly the same thing.

Honestly, looking at some of these opinions, I think the opposition to tough-on-crime is, mostly, anti-drug-war. The war on drugs is bad, certainly, but tough-on-crime rhetoric is awful regardless. We need to look at cost-effective measures which reduce all manners of crime, and imprisoning people out of vengeance is neither cost-effective nor does it reduce crime. You cannot be a fiscal conservative while supporting unnecessary, costly incarceration, and you cannot be a progressive while supporting arbitrary punishment without benefit. Supporting useless punitive measures is the last refuge of a primitive mind.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The funny thing is "Theft under $5000" effectively does lump all thefts together that fit the definition. Like, as long as you're not claiming to have a weapon, in which case it becomes "armed robbery."

And of course, the court proceedings/sentencing skews towards "treat every theft under $5000 as a stolen candy bar."

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'd watch that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I think the central disagreement between the 2 sides of this discussion is that one side says "YEAH well not according to the LAW :smug:" while the other side is "hey, gently caress the rules, because they don't produce the results that I think they should."

Like, that's where I'm at: I fundamentally do not care what the criminal code says; if I think it produces bullshit results then I want things to change. No, I don't purport to have all the answers as to how, or to have thought through every possible corner case, but I don't think that makes saying "the status quo is poo poo" somehow an invalid opinion.

Yeesh.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

P.d0t posted:

I think the central disagreement between the 2 sides of this discussion is that one side says "YEAH well not according to the LAW :smug:" while the other side is "hey, gently caress the rules, because they don't produce the results that I think they should."

Like, that's where I'm at: I fundamentally do not care what the criminal code says; if I think it produces bullshit results then I want things to change. No, I don't purport to have all the answers as to how, or to have thought through every possible corner case, but I don't think that makes saying "the status quo is poo poo" somehow an invalid opinion.

Yeesh.

Write to your MP then; they're the ones who write the law.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, the real question is: do you want the sentences to be modified because it "feels right" or because you imagine it will produce some sort of benefit beyond making you, and presumably some other people, feel good? Do we really want a criminal justice system that gives significant consideration to our gut feelings? I, for one, do not, and I'm happy to say I've evolved quite a bit on this issue over the past few years.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Write to your MP then; they're the ones who write the law.

See, and that's a lot better response. I appreciate that. :)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

P.d0t posted:

"The status quo is poo poo" is a pretty unless opinion though, unless you have some sort of credible alternative, or even a well reasoned method of improvement you'd like to see pursued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

"The status quo is poo poo" is a pretty unless opinion though, unless you have some sort of credible alternative, or even a well reasoned method of improvement you'd like to see pursued.

A job for better men than I, then?