Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

QuoProQuid posted:

Areas where internationally-recognized governments exercise full sovereignty. Grey represents stateless government authorities have little to no authority.

Shouldn't Western Sahara be grey on that map then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

Shouldn't Western Sahara be grey on that map then?

No, because Morocco is an internationally recognized government.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Southern Africa a bastion of stability? The 80s really were a long time ago.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm surprised by Nigeria, I thought only the northernmost bits that Boko Haram is in are outside of the government's effective control.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I thought the UN-backed Somali government had actually been recently making gains and consolidating a bit?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
There's definitely a few things to nitpick on that map, and Somalia and the extent of Nigerian control are two pretty big ones.

Also, do we not recognize one of the governments in Libya, which should then be in control of that bit?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

YF-23 posted:

I'm surprised by Nigeria, I thought only the northernmost bits that Boko Haram is in are outside of the government's effective control.

Who controls the oil rich areas anyway? And yes, I know it's Shell.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Still slimmer than Murica.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Disco Infiva posted:

No, because Morocco is an internationally recognized government.

And it unambiguously exercises full sovereignty in that part of Western Sahara: Morocco built a border wall, complete with minefield along its entire length, and a bunch of garrisons in the rear.

quote:

Physically, the berm is a two meter high wall (with a backing trench), which rides along a topographical high point/ridge/hill throughout the territory. Spaced out over every five kilometers are a big, small and medium base, with approximately 35–40 troops at each observation post and groups of 10 soldiers spaced out over the distance as well. About four km behind each major post there is a rapid reaction post, which includes backing mobile forces (tanks, etc). A series of overlapping fixed and mobile radars are also positioned throughout the berm. The radars are estimated to have a range of between 60 and 80 km into the Polisario controlled territory, and are generally utilized to locate artillery fire onto detected Polisario forces. Information from the radar is processed by a forward-based commander, who contacts a rear-based artillery unit.

Edit: Except for the modern weaponry, this is basically how Hadrian's Wall was organized.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

JosefStalinator posted:

There's definitely a few things to nitpick on that map, and Somalia and the extent of Nigerian control are two pretty big ones.

Also, do we not recognize one of the governments in Libya, which should then be in control of that bit?

The Libyan Council of Deputies's mandate expired in late October. While I don't think anyone has broken off relations with the faction, their recognition depended on Libya signing onto a UN-sponsored peace agreement. The recent strings of assassinations and bombings probably doesn't help the Deputies' claims that they have complete control.

The mapmaker, who works for Foreign Affairs, explains that he used travel advisories as his main source. For Nigeria, I suspect that large swathes are excluded because of high terrorism threats and frequent kidnappings.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Areas where internationally-recognized governments exercise full sovereignty. Grey represents stateless territory, in which government authorities have little to no authority.

I like this map, and would like to see one for the Middle East. Source?

YF-23 posted:

The southern areas I think are mostly criminal- they have problems with piracy that used to be seen around Somalia, and oil pipelines are regularly smashed and stolen from. I think a past civil war focused on this area too. I'm also surprised that the state doesn't control it though, I wonder if that is correct.

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought the UN-backed Somali government had actually been recently making gains and consolidating a bit?

Yeah there should be a bit of white for Mogadishu, and a bit of the countryside. I know Puntland and Somaliland aren't internationally recognized, but they provide more effective governance than some of the proper nations on the map.

Whats going on in Eritrea and NE Ethiopia?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Count Roland posted:

I like this map, and would like to see one for the Middle East. Source?

Here is a complex series of maps about the "ungoverened world," knock yourself out!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Awesome&nice find! TY!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm not sure if I'd count Medellin as ungoverned anymore. At least not in the same way as some of the other places.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hey that's pretty neat.

Interesting that they designate part of the South China Sea as ungoverned, but no parts of Western Africa where piracy is also a problem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

Hey that's pretty neat.

Interesting that they designate part of the South China Sea as ungoverned, but no parts of Western Africa where piracy is also a problem.
Piracy is not a problem, it's a solution.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
You wouldn't download a oil tanker.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are all those areas grey because of terrorist groups/anarchy, or just because it's the Sahara and there's nobody there to govern?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Byzantine posted:

Are all those areas grey because of terrorist groups/anarchy, or just because it's the Sahara and there's nobody there to govern?

Well, a lot of those groups do like to hide out in the Sahara and other such marginal areas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

YF-23 posted:

They do only control a tiny bit in the Northeast. A big chunk of the rest is probably fallout from the Nigerian Civil War, since all of Biafra is in there as ungoverned. But I don't know what's going on in the middle parts.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Byzantine posted:

I did a quick and dirty overlay of the two maps:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Still slimmer than Murica.

Mexico actually has an even worse average obesity problem than the US, but it must be very class-skewed, judging from the map.

Also, people, in the US and elsewhere can't seem to figure out that the main reason that they're fat is because they eat too loving much.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PittTheElder posted:

They do only control a tiny bit in the Northeast. A big chunk of the rest is probably fallout from the Nigerian Civil War, since all of Biafra is in there as ungoverned. But I don't know what's going on in the middle parts.

Yes, but the Biafra war was long ago. It's not like there is still a civil war being fought in that area, or a de facto independent republic of Biafra governing it. Maybe there's some political instability but that's a long way from the area literally not being governed by the internationally recognised government.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Sucrose posted:

Mexico actually has an even worse average obesity problem than the US, but it must be very class-skewed, judging from the map.

Also, people, in the US and elsewhere can't seem to figure out that the main reason that they're fat is because they eat too loving much.

Um the map clearly shows Austria eats way too much but still is much slimmer. That's because Austrians still use their legs to get around.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Riso posted:

Um the map clearly shows Austria eats way too much but still is much slimmer. That's because Austrians still use their legs to get around.

I imagine the goose-step is good exercise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Freudian posted:

I imagine the goose-step is good exercise.

That's Prussia, lad.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Riso posted:

That's Prussia, lad.
Next you'll be telling us that Hitler was German and Mozart was Austrian.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

He's right in this case. Austrians aren't coordinated enough to do goosestepping.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Considering that Mozart was born in Salzburg, then the capital of the Archbishopric of the same name and not annexed by the Habsburgs until 1805, he was neither in the political sense.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He's right in this case. Austrians aren't coordinated enough to do goosestepping.

Then again, the same is probably true of Bavarians, Rhinelanders and other non-Prussian regionals.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"A Prussian will march until he dies, a Saxon will march until he drops, a Wurtemburger will march until he tires, a Bavarian will march when he feels like it."

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You try coordinating a dozen different nationalities!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Riso posted:

You try coordinating a dozen different nationalities!
You can't even coordinate your 8% of a nationality.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Hey that's pretty neat.

I'm surprised so many attacks happen in the Singapore Strait. Shouldn't Singapore and Malaysia be on top of that?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

How can a whole country's dominant political force be a regional group?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sucrose posted:

Regional groups.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, the yellow of Bosnia isn't all one group.

What happened to the left wing in Poland?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 14, 2015

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Sucrose posted:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lycus posted:

Yeah, the yellow of Bosnia isn't all one group.

That's what you get when you invest in Eastern Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Lycus posted:

The left wing is the same as the right wing.