Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

This is a really good question. If it were sealed then it wouldn't be an issue because the player would just drop and his opponents would get a bye. But how does it work in draft? Are the cards YOURS until the draft is over or do they exist in a limbo?
With new sealed procedure you don't swap what you open so he wouldn't even drop.

That said in limited events the contents of packs are considered to be owned by the tournament organizer until the conclusion of the event. What they do When players want to drop/exit the tournament is technically their call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

stinkles1112 posted:

So Wizards' policy is that in a draft it sealed tournament, all product in your possession is officially yours and you can take your ball (cards) and go home at any time. That's fine, whatever.

Last night at the draft, in pack three, the guy to my right opens a Gideon and a foil Sunken Hollow, and immediately says "I'd like another pack" and just puts the one he just opened in his backpack and the store gives him another pack.

Come to find out this is a house rule they implemented to keep people from dropping mid draft to avoid situations like that but to me that seems like bullshit, if you open a great pack, you should have to decide between dropping to keep it or passing it to keep playing and not get the best of both worlds and come on guys tell me this is crap I should've gotten passed one of those :smith:

I'm pretty alright with people being able to replace packs if it meant their only alternative was to drop since passing a card that was worth more than winning the draft is kind of silly. I don't think a guy is going to say, "you know, I don't want to play this crappy Gideon, let's just buy another pack so I can open a bomb rare."

I'd rather have more games of Magic being played, plus the store gets more money. Seems like a win all around.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mikujin posted:

They actually aren't and that's the issue. One could argue a double 'goyf pack falls under abnormal product and then replacement is up to the TO because there are no hard and fast rules for specifically what is considered abnormal.

Hence my staring that you should always know what your TO's stance on this stuff is so you know where you stand if you or someone else at your table cracks the sweet pack.

No they totally are clear:

mtr posted:

2.10 Dropping from a Tournament
Players may drop from a tournament at any time. If a player drops from a tournament before the first round of
play has started, he or she is considered to have not participated in the tournament and will not be listed in the
finish order nor receive participation Planeswalker Points. Players choosing to drop from a tournament must
inform the Scorekeeper by the means provided for that tournament before the pairings for the next round are
generated. Players wanting to drop after the Scorekeeper begins pairing for the next round will be paired for that
round. If a player does not show up for his or her match, he or she will be automatically dropped from the
tournament unless they report to the Scorekeeper. Players that repeatedly and/or intentionally drop from
tournaments without informing the scorekeepers of those events may be the subject of DCI penalties up to and
including suspension.
Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time.
This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters.

So technically you could even drop pick two with your neighbour's pack. Though personally I would prefer that the store owns the pack contents until the draft is complete. You're paying for the right to sit at the table and perform the procedure and they only become yours once it's done.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MTR 7.4 Abnormal Product posted:

Neither Wizards of the Coast nor the Tournament Organizer guarantee any specific distribution of card rarities or frequency in a particular booster pack or tournament pack. If a player receives an unconventional distribution of rarities or frequencies in a particular booster pack or tournament pack, he or she must call a judge. The final decision to replace or allow the atypical product is at the discretion of the Head Judge and the Tournament Organizer.
This, specifically, is what I was referencing. There is no strict guideline for what is normal and what is abnormal, and it's completely up to the TO/HJ insofar as what to do about the product in question.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any reason for emptyquoting my list of EDH decks?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Doesn't opening a bomb pack and requesting a new one open a pretty slippery slope? What if I open a pack and its jack poo poo and I just request a new one until all my first picks are top tier?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume abnormal packs refer to you opening a weird pack with 3 rares and 4 basics or something, rather than a pack that's very lucky but completely within normal pack parameters.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Stay safe top deck ghost

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

mehall posted:

Any reason for emptyquoting my list of EDH decks?

None at all and I honestly don't know how that post got there. My bad dude.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Permotriassic posted:

None at all and I honestly don't know how that post got there. My bad dude.

Not a problem, just checking if you were after any of the lists.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Doesn't opening a bomb pack and requesting a new one open a pretty slippery slope? What if I open a pack and its jack poo poo and I just request a new one until all my first picks are top tier?

Yeah I mean have fun with doing that at fnm.

Also seems like a good MODO microtransaction model.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 13, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

This, specifically, is what I was referencing. There is no strict guideline for what is normal and what is abnormal, and it's completely up to the TO/HJ insofar as what to do about the product in question.

Everyone knows what a normal pack is. A bunch of commons, three uncommons, a rare/mythic, and possibly a foil that replaces a common. No amount of fudging logic is going to convince anyone that a pack with a Gideon and foil Sunken Hollow is "abnormal". Neither is Goyf + foil Goyf.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ghost safely modo skeletal

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume abnormal packs refer to you opening a weird pack with 3 rares and 4 basics or something, rather than a pack that's very lucky but completely within normal pack parameters.

It's a good practice because nobody is going to pass a 20+ dollar card at an fnm over dropping, so pack replacement (at casual) makes it so you can actually keep your coolio cards if you open two nutso cards, but doesn't force 7 man pods + make someone go home w/o playing.

Like seriously nobody should be against pack replacement in these situations.

"Sorry Timmy, you can't play tonight because you go too lucky but didnt want to give away a card worth a year of your allowance!"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

stinkles1112 posted:

So Wizards' policy is that in a draft it sealed tournament, all product in your possession is officially yours and you can take your ball (cards) and go home at any time. That's fine, whatever.

Last night at the draft, in pack three, the guy to my right opens a Gideon and a foil Sunken Hollow, and immediately says "I'd like another pack" and just puts the one he just opened in his backpack and the store gives him another pack.

Come to find out this is a house rule they implemented to keep people from dropping mid draft to avoid situations like that but to me that seems like bullshit, if you open a great pack, you should have to decide between dropping to keep it or passing it to keep playing and not get the best of both worlds and come on guys tell me this is crap I should've gotten passed one of those :smith:

Pods of 8 > 7 imo. I'm fine with someone replacing a pack. It is a courtesy to the lotto ticket nature of this game, the effect on the draft is much lower than if someon drops in the middle of a draft. Of course at a Comp REL event my opinion changes, but at FNM why get uptight?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

stinkles1112 posted:

For the record I understand that that is the best solution given the problem, I just wanted to complain. In no small part because I need, specifically, Sunken Hollows.

Although I will say that in a sanctioned draft, I'm not so sure that the cards should be officially yours until you've drafted them. I'm pretty lukewarm on that rule

What is a store going to do? Call the cops and try to explain the finer nuance of the difference between buying 3 packs and buying entry into an event which you also happen to select 3 packs blah blah blah. The cop is going to give everyone a death glare and say refund his money if you want to keep the cards or something like that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The cops will arrest that bastard and send him to hell jail for stuffing a sunken hollows into his loving pants.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

jassi007 posted:

What is a store going to do? Call the cops and try to explain the finer nuance of the difference between buying 3 packs and buying entry into an event which you also happen to select 3 packs blah blah blah. The cop is going to give everyone a death glare and say refund his money if you want to keep the cards or something like that.

They just get the cop who happens to be an L3 judge, and then he revokes the dude's DCI card.

"Book'em, Lou. Perps just cant resist a foil mythic..."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

Everyone knows what a normal pack is. A bunch of commons, three uncommons, a rare/mythic, and possibly a foil that replaces a common. No amount of fudging logic is going to convince anyone that a pack with a Gideon and foil Sunken Hollow is "abnormal". Neither is Goyf + foil Goyf.

The only "abnormal pack" I've seen was one I got during a MM2015 draft that had a "DISCARD" card in it replacing one of the uncommons. I was allowed to keep the DISCARD card and the replacement pack had a Spellskite in it. :woop: (The original pack was just a Midnight Banshee.)

That being said, I was allowed to get a replacement pack in an Origins draft that had a Jace and foil Demonic Pact in it. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah so what? You open a box and everyone lols and you win but prob won't get the cost of the box back. Store owners loves you paying full MSRP for a dumb weekly event. It only affects the first pick out of each pack.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Finding the right deck for Demonic Pact is up there with a Risen Executioner deck on my bucket list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Jive posted:

Finding the right deck for Demonic Pact is up there with a Risen Executioner deck on my bucket list.

Missed your chance, sorry mate. Maybe once Khans/Fate rotate out?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
While I agree with basically everyone else that the a replacement pack is a sensible solution to the problem that leads to no disruption for everyone else at the table, it still leads a bad taste in my mouth and anyone who sits down at a draft unwilling to pass valuable cards just because there's more than one in a pack is a greedy buttface. :colbert:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

While I agree with basically everyone else that the a replacement pack is a sensible solution to the problem that leads to no disruption for everyone else at the table, it still leads a bad taste in my mouth and anyone who sits down at a draft unwilling to pass valuable cards just because there's more than one in a pack is a greedy buttface. :colbert:

Isn't the point of drafting that you sometimes have to make hard decisions?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lobsterpillar posted:

You take the common blue flying creature, every time.

Hence why WWK caused me to fall into deep existential despair.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Lobsterpillar posted:

In terms of gameplay, yeah. When the "hard decision" is the product of monetary value that's just one more instance of the collectible structure clashing with the competitive one. Blame that one squarely on Wizards; You can't be stupid and pass up gettin paid.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So LSV has been writing a series where he rerates the cards he thinks he got wrong in his limited set review. The last color left is green and I'm half wondering if he's going to give every card a -1 on the logic of "it's green"

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You take the common blue flying creature, every time.

Hence why WWK caused me to fall into deep existential despair.

I've passed Bring to Light back when it was spiking in order to P1P1 an Eldrazi Skyspawner.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Yeah that's what I'm getting at; if you sign up to draft, you know what you're signing up for, and that may involve passing a foil land to take the more valuable planeswalker. If you want to keep the full contents of a pack you should just buy one.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Norin the Wary as a Soul Sisters engine in Modern is hilarious and fun.

...Until you stumble onto someone else playing the same deck in an online game. The mirror match is the most casual, luxuriously padded hell.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Archenteron posted:

Norin the Wary as a Soul Sisters engine in Modern is hilarious and fun.

...Until you stumble onto someone else playing the same deck in an online game. The mirror match is the most casual, luxuriously padded hell.

Do you want to talk about it. Are you alright?

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

norton I posted:

I just got an itch to play this again after loosing my shoebox of cards in a move years ago. I'm looking for booster drafts or sealed games, do you need to bring lands or do they still come in the packs?

I'm having a hard time finding one of these. I remember going to one run by the San Mateo game shop, but I'm having a hard time finding out if they still do this.

Does anyone know a good shop in the SF Bay area that runs one of these for adults?

I tried the licensed game on steam and it was bad but gave me enough nostalgia to want to open new packs.

I play at Anime Imports in Pacifica. I haven't been to any stores in San Mateo (city), but there are also some good ones if you go into SF, like Versus Games.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

Do you want to talk about it. Are you alright?

Three soul sisters. A Norin per player. A Genesis Chamber. 2-3 Champion of the Parish and Ajani's Pridemate per side. 12 life and a cascade of triggers every turn. Stacks of Myr piling up. Both sides sitting on their Legion Loyalist to deploy as the final answer :shepface:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Three soul sisters. A Norin per player. A Genesis Chamber. 2-3 Champion of the Parish and Ajani's Pridemate per side. 12 life and a cascade of triggers every turn. Stacks of Myr piling up. Both sides sitting on their Legion Loyalist to deploy as the final answer :shepface:

So did you manage to time the opponent out or were they more efficient with their auto-yields?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Hellsau posted:

So did you manage to time the opponent out or were they more efficient with their auto-yields?

Oh no. This was Cockatrice. We had to do everything manually

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Oh no. This was Cockatrice. We had to do everything manually

Gentleman's agreement that you both chose a great deck and you're both winners.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RW Soul Sisters seems like the most fun deck ever, because Norin is the most fun card ever.

Do you have your list somewhere?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Archenteron posted:

This is something I do when I'm in a particular mood and want to see how Forge will deal with it.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

The Shortest Path posted:

RW Soul Sisters seems like the most fun deck ever, because Norin is the most fun card ever.

Do you have your list somewhere?

http://deckstats.net/decks/9494/149007-norin-s-sisters

Here's my version. Windswepts would ideally be Arid Mesas, but I'm not all that interested in dropping cash moneys on them. The need for more than one red source is very low, and Windswepts grab the Sacred Foundries just fine.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Norin Sisters is super fun and is extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Norin Sisters used to be the deck I loaned out to people for Modern night. They both loved me and hated me for it.

• Locked thread