Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The things they're saying make no sense to me, unless they have an active Apple account that is publishing apps to the App store, and Apple is threatening to delete the account if they don't play ball.

I mean they're just distributing code. Apple has no authority to prevent people from open sourcing software, and there are a billion Xcode projects for OSX and iOS on github. Is Apple going to barge in and shut all of them down too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Cawd Rud posted:

Anyone have the zip still saved? Looks like Apple forced them to stop distributing f.lux this way.

I knew I should have jumped on this... :smith:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I was thinking of getting a Google Cardboard viewer for a friend who has an iPhone 6 and enjoys these kind of gadgets.

I've read that it's maybe not so good on iPhone, though (something about having bad resolution)? Are there any decent apps?

Also, recommendations on a decent viewer that's not too expensive are welcome.
Is the friend old enough to remember what a View Master is? Cause there's a new one that's basically a fancier Cardboard (i.e. not made out of cardboard):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011EG5HJ2/

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

The things they're saying make no sense to me, unless they have an active Apple account that is publishing apps to the App store, and Apple is threatening to delete the account if they don't play ball.

I mean they're just distributing code. Apple has no authority to prevent people from open sourcing software, and there are a billion Xcode projects for OSX and iOS on github. Is Apple going to barge in and shut all of them down too?

It's because they're using private API's.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The Xcode project they released is really just a big binary that you sign yourself, which is also weird. You can't take a look at the source. But yeah, the only reason to comply with Apple's threat is to keep their relationship in good standing, which I guess still matters even though they've had a release for jailbroken iOS devices for years. :confused:

Anyway, someone put it up on github here: https://github.com/jefferyleo/f.lux

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

eightysixed posted:

I know I'm way behind the times, but I bought a new iPad recently, at that leaves my iPad Generation 1 up for toying around with. What is the best way to jailbreak the original iPad 1 which is, of course, ceiling locked to 5.1.1?

Bumping this because I'm in the same boat. I've got an iPad 1 that is just a video player and ebook reader at this point. Tell me cool jailbreal poo poo to do with it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i still have a first gen ipad

it's great for the kids to watch netflix and youtube on

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can't do any cool poo poo with an iPad 1 unless you consider being a multi-drink coaster cool

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can sell the iPad to Amazon for $75 if it's in pristine condition.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
What do you guys use for bill tracking? I've used billminder (and debt minder) since like 2010 but I think the dev is done updating both apps. Really just want something to remind me what bills are due when.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nask26 posted:

What do you guys use for bill tracking? I've used billminder (and debt minder) since like 2010 but I think the dev is done updating both apps. Really just want something to remind me what bills are due when.

Uh, autopay with my bank or providers and ynab to make sure it doesn't matter when those bills come out. Managing that stuff manually is dumb unless you can't help it (American Express :argh:).

For those bills I just use reminders. I don't know why you'd need a specific app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
sometimes I'll pay my bill late three months in s row then pay ahead of time so my bank thinks I'm worthy of rewards

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I gave my old iPad to my mom so she can FaceTime us. Now I can use my moms iPad getting old as an excuse to update my own iPad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

It has the best snooze feature in alarm clock history, just smash your phone and it leaves you alone for a few minutes. The snooze gets shorter as you get closer to your desired wake up time.

Huh?

Why would you snooze an alarm, or set an alarm at all, before your desired wake up time?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wooger posted:

Huh?

Why would you snooze an alarm, or set an alarm at all, before your desired wake up time?

Sleep cycle tracks (or at least in theory) attempts to track your cycle and figures out the best time to wake you up as early as 30 minutes of your alarm. The idea is to catch you when you're out of the deep sleep so you wake up rested.

It's the whole point of actually tracking your sleep movements.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
"Desired wake up time" might be a bad way to put it, I think "Latest wake up time" would be better, since that's the very last straw and no matter how bad you might feel, you gotta get up and get ready for work.

I tried it the other night and it was pretty wrong in thinking I was in a deep sleep at just before 6am, when I specifically remember waking up and glancing at a clock to see what time it was. Though as it says in the app, it'll take time to calibrate so I'm gonna try it out for a while. Just a shame that it apparently needs to be laid flat on a table, meaning my nice phone dock can't be used for a while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm still not sold on the listening option but the motion based tracking does take a few days to calibrate. I'll give it a week or so and see how it ends up working out.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
My first gen iPad still streams Plex and YouTube perfectly. I don't use it for much else other than iBooks. I'd like to replace it with a retina iPad mini at some point but I'm in no rush.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Unacknowledged posted:

My first gen iPad still streams Plex and YouTube perfectly. I don't use it for much else other than iBooks. I'd like to replace it with a retina iPad mini at some point but I'm in no rush.
Yea, but you have to use YouTube through Safari, because the app is no longer compatible, right? At least that's the cake for me.

Edit: posting from my new Retina Mini btw :v:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
My only problem with the sleep apps is that it takes me forever to fall asleep and then when I'm finally about to fall asleep, I forget to turn on the app.

Guess I could just leave the app on...

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Sounds like you just need two phones.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems like Readdle's PDF Expert is the free app of the week right now. It's usually :10bux: and if it lives up to the quality of Documents then it should be a fantastic PDF annotation tool.

https://appsto.re/gb/nGcwS.i

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of an app or service where I can put in a bunch of scheduled tasks that need to be done once a month, let me mark something as done to reset that counter, and have an easy view of what tasks haven't been done for the longest time?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

Does anyone know of an app or service where I can put in a bunch of scheduled tasks that need to be done once a month, let me mark something as done to reset that counter, and have an easy view of what tasks haven't been done for the longest time?

Yeah, Reminders.app, the stock checklist app, does this.

To get the view of tasks that haven't been done for a long time you just press the scheduled view button and it'll say like, "1 day overdue". I use it this way for chores like washing cupboards that you only do a few times a year.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Who the hell washes their cupboards on a recurring basis?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Wunderlist is pretty great too and it actually scales well to more complicated lives too. There are honestly tons of options out there to choose from.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I was thinking it. You posted it, so I have to second the request for this.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Michael Scott posted:

I do. Every spring and fall. That's also when vent covers go through a full dish cycle, the garage floor gets powerwashed, etc. How dusty is your hovel?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

Please wash your cupboards.

I mean, other things are on that list as well to make sure that my home doesn't decay into some kind of filthy grotto. I think these are normal things for adults to do:

Wash sheets (this one is roughly biweekly for us to save water, but we may be gross that way and biweekly seems to be the point at which I lose track of things)
Wash walls
Clean dishwasher
Polish sink and fixtures
Check smoke detectors
Check furnace filter
Scrub floors
Clean drawers
Dust (this is just accountability because the badge icon bothers me more than the dust)
Clean window coverings
File

They're like, deep clean things that get away from you if you aren't responsible for them as part of your "job" like a homemaker, so I use an app to keep track of it and clean them when I get to it. It's not a big deal if you wait an extra two weeks to give your walls a wash, but it's a big deal if you wait four years.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You have an app. I have a wife :v:

e: probably should have just stuck with the app :shobon:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey guys this is probably a pretty lame request but my Girlfriend's friend snooped her iphone when they were out on Saturday night then confronted her about the contents of a text message. It's all a big drama bomb since they live together etc long story short are there any good apps that covertly take selfies whenever someone unlocks an iPhone?

I tried googling but all the articles returned were a couple of years old and not exactly what she is looking for.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hey guys this is probably a pretty lame request but my Girlfriend's friend snooped her iphone when they were out on Saturday night then confronted her about the contents of a text message. It's all a big drama bomb since they live together etc long story short are there any good apps that covertly take selfies whenever someone unlocks an iPhone?
Absolutely not. That behavior would certainly require a jailbreak at a minimum.

Tell her not to share her passcode next time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't understand how that would do anything to fix the problem. It just redistributes childish drama. What's the intent?

Like, I get it if you're intending to prosecute someone for unauthorized use, or if you want evidence to give the cops, but to somehow work through nonsense with your mentally 14-year-old roommate? I'm not being mean, I'm genuinely curious.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The theory is apparently the culprit denied actively snooping and claimed she saw it by accident when she was handed the phone to look at something else, but the times don't correlate. So this would prove her guilt if it happened again?

But yeah I just said change the passcode.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The theory is apparently the culprit denied actively snooping and claimed she saw it by accident when she was handed the phone to look at something else, but the times don't correlate. So this would prove her guilt if it happened again?

Ah, that sort of makes sense.

I mean, it doesn't solve the root of the problem which seems to be that everyone involved is an idiot for caring about this stuff. Though I'm sure your girlfriend is a lovely person in other ways.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
how do you clean a dishwasher it should clean itself

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is polishing a sink different from normal cleaning? Do you have chrome sinks?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

"File."

Your fingernails? I need a reminder for this too. Siri, remind me to file my fingernails tomorrow at 1pm.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Just turn on airplane mode or turn off notifications, and be sure to use restrictions for everything but the app you're showing before handing to friends.

Or use that assisted touch mode or whatever it is for disabled people or children like the people you hang out with.
Fake edit: guided access, notifications presumably still come through though, watch out in case someone texts something bad about her to that phone! And if they're the type to snoop, they might get offended when they find out they're locked into the app to prevent their snooping!

Or tell everyone to grow up...or stop giving her phone out if it's gonna be this stupid every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

how do you clean a dishwasher it should clean itself

Please clean your dishwasher. poo poo gets disgusting in the trap and seals and gets all over your food.

Snowy posted:

Is polishing a sink different from normal cleaning? Do you have chrome sinks?

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/How-Clean-Your-Stainless-Steel-Sink-30688216

Try giving your sink a good once-over with some bleach, you'll be sold if you care.

eightysixed posted:

"File."

Your fingernails? I need a reminder for this too. Siri, remind me to file my fingernails tomorrow at 1pm.

Stuff like taxes, receipts, warranty forms, all that poo poo. Every couple of years we prune the stuff that doesn't need to be saved anymore. Registration forms for old cars, receipts for items that are years old or gone, that kind of thing.