Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AndyElusive posted:

Anything is an Iron Warrior if you're brave enough to paint hazard stripes on it.

Yeah, shouldn't they not have any upgrade kits at all? Just completely unadorned Astartes armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, shouldn't they not have any upgrade kits at all? Just completely unadorned Astartes armor.

I like to think that it's a massive meta-troll from FW. Neglect or marginalize the Iron Warriors players out there so they are as twisted and bitter as their armies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Anything is an Iron Warrior if you're brave enough to paint hazard stripes on it.

Imgur is bad for you.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Those two are the tough/shooty legions among the traitors, unfortunately. World Eaters, Night Lords, and Emperor's Children are all very melee-oriented. Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion can go either way.

I did sorta look at sons of Horus and alpha legion, I'm amenable to the fluff and aesthetic of both. Most of the stuff I saw/read, people were running them as more melee-oriented lists, and I wasn't quite sure how to build them differently. I'm still flipping from book to book trying to sort out fluff vs actual rules and figure out how it all fits together and what possibilities exist.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Fearless posted:

Neglect or marginalize the Iron Warriors players out there so they are as twisted and bitter as their armies.

Sure as hell feels like it.

Its working.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

AndyElusive posted:

Anything is an Iron Warrior Alpha Legionaire.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm looking at the Forgeworld site, how come there's a section called "Monstrous Creatures", but it just has robots in it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Welcome to Warhammer.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite IW meta troll is the contemptor product page:

Not only does it look like an Ork model, but its arms are just flailing around as if the photo dude said "yeah, gently caress it, it's already ugly and I need to be home early for rugby." Its also unpainted and has two identical product pictures. All the other contemptors have more pictures, almost all are painted, and most have 360 views.

Always good times when your an IW player.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Oh relax, christ. You'll still be able to paint it to an unbelievable standard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just didn't expect the massive swastika on the back, that's all

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

...in three years.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Weirdest thing, FW has that fucker painted up along with the Word Bearer Contemptor. I swear I've seen pictures of them in the miniatures gallery at Warhammer World. They really have a raging hate-on for Iron Warriors eh?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SteelMentor posted:

Weirdest thing, FW has that fucker painted up along with the Word Bearer Contemptor. I swear I've seen pictures of them in the miniatures gallery at Warhammer World. They really have a raging hate-on for Iron Warriors eh?

At this point I believe Carl feeds back how angry it makes Bulbasaur and its intentional.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

It's a good thing they made the hazard stripes easier to paint on that Contemptor

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Paul Rudge from Forge World (book design & production) is all over the Heresy and 40K groups on Facebook with the models he's painting up, I think he does the Death Guard ones and the World Eaters ones are Andy Hoare's, who does some of the game design stuff. They were commenting at the seminars at the 40K open day that maybe they should do some loyalist models, because they only seem to have traitor legions represented.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So when DO the rules for Russ, Sanguinius, Khan etc come out? Do we know?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hello there, beautiful...

Looks like GW is including points and stat lines for both 30k and 40k separately now: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

Looks like GW is including points and stat lines for both 30k and 40k separately now: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

The dreadnought iron warriors deserve.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
D'awww look at him. Adorable little chubnaught. Think he might be going on the ol' Christmas list.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TKIY posted:

Theyve done that for a lot of stuff thats of use in 30k & 40k, but has weapons whos effects are different or can be armed differently depending on the era. Fire Raptor is the same.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I need some siege-naught in my life, I don't need juice this month right?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

That model is rear end

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I like Blood Angels. How viable of an army would be something like the Calth box plus a storm eagle for 20 of the mareens, a Caestus for the termies and a rhino for the other 10?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Crawling Fire is kind of a neat rule. Are there other weapons that have that?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Am I... missing something with the Calth bundles? The base game is $150/£95, and the legion-specific bits kit to upgrade are £44, but the bundle of the two is £225? How does that add up? I can't find anything else that seems to be included in the description.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 13, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Am I... missing something with the Calth bundles? The base game is $150/£95, and the legion-specific bits kit to upgrade are £44, but the bundle of the two is £225? How does that add up? I can't find anything extra listed in the descriptions.
It's three upgrade packs. You'd save a whole £2 versus buying everything separately. The packs themselves save anywhere from £0.50 to like £3 depending on the legion. It's typical FW discounts.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Would I ever need much more in terms of Astartes than what comes in the Calth box for games of ~2,000?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ijyt posted:

Would I ever need much more in terms of Astartes than what comes in the Calth box for games of ~2,000?

Depends how you configure your force. Infantry horde get two boxes and have two, or even three, units of 20 marines, for close to 1000 points.

Or go Pride of the Legion, 3 vet tac squads in rhinos, a squad of termis fitted for close assault in a land raider and some tanks/aircraft to season.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Only if you're running multiple blobs- so World Eaters or Iron Hands type armies

e: gently caress, I need that dreadnaught in my life

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

It's three upgrade packs. You'd save a whole £2 versus buying everything separately. The packs themselves save anywhere from £0.50 to like £3 depending on the legion. It's typical FW discounts.

Ahh, for some reason I thought the upgrade pack had enough for all the dudes, didn't realise you needed 3.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Not to be a total bitch but I'm just about ready to pay for the stuff I need to put this list on the table and wanted to be sure I was at least somewhat on the right path here:

TKIY posted:

+++ Death Guard - 2k (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (705pts) +

Calas Typhon (705pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer, Hunter-killer Missile]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (555pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, 4x Legion Space Marines, Sergeant]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (320pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (420pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (200pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator, Chem-Master]

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Looks pretty savage... But make sure all vehicles have dozer blades (drop HK missile) and are those second squad of special terminators walking?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Only if you're running multiple blobs- so World Eaters or Iron Hands type armies

e: gently caress, I need that dreadnaught in my life

Argh, I might be! Have a chance to be at DarkSphere tomorrow so tempted to pick up some stuff just to save a trip later and get the web pricing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

My favorite IW meta troll is the contemptor product page

Ya, it looks like the Mechanicum consulted a Mekboy when they designed that monstrosity but it's not an entirely uggo model imho. A good paintjob would salvage the poor fella. With that said, the Leviathan is a way superior looking design and something similar would be infinitely more appropriate.

Also Perturabo is rad as hell and his sculpt kicks so much rear end, so FW obviously has some love for the boys from Hazard Stripe County.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 13, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Looks pretty savage... But make sure all vehicles have dozer blades (drop HK missile) and are those second squad of special terminators walking?

Good point on the dozers. The wardens are walking but they are toting toxic grenade launchers so I'm considering them as a shooting countercharge unit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Not to be a total bitch but I'm just about ready to pay for the stuff I need to put this list on the table and wanted to be sure I was at least somewhat on the right path here:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Praetor: paragon blade (master-crafted); melta bombs; digital lasers; refractor field; power dagger; jump pack; Rite of War (The Coils of the Hydra) 195

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
9 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 180

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180
2 Rapier Carriers: 2× quad mortar ('Thud Gun') 120
Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary 45
Apothecary 45

9 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain 325

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer: armoured ceramite 210
Fire Raptor Gunship 200

2.000 points

Ultramarines Own Zone list.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tbh if you're rolling a heavy squad a flare shield Spartan is just a must. Drop the GW terminators, take a Spartan tooled up, and then put any spare points into maybe a Sicaran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A couple of friends are playing a round of tabletop 3/40k while my gaming group plays a session of Rogue Trader in the same room. Ultramarines legion list vs. 40k-era Cult Mechanicus/Skitarii list. Was hilarious to see Roboute accomplish little of note before getting vaporized by the skitarii shooting.