Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We could probably do with a new thread title come Thursday. I was thinking "Space and Medieval Engineers; The planets have more bugs than the games."

Not to try to plug for myself but if you're still doing the Goon Creations sections of the OP you can toss my ship in there. I posted it a few pages back.

It's going to be interesting to see just how hard you are going to have to try to design ships to get them in / out of planetary gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

Not to try to plug for myself but if you're still doing the Goon Creations sections of the OP you can toss my ship in there. I posted it a few pages back.

It's going to be interesting to see just how hard you are going to have to try to design ships to get them in / out of planetary gravity.

Whoops, added now.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
I've been wondering - what'll happen if you drill into core of the planet? Will you start floating in middle or something? I'm curious as hell but currently, I can't play due to crappy hardware. Would any of you brave souls take a hit when the planets come out and check what happens when (if) you manage to get to the core?

Edit:
Dear god, is there a way to get rid of this horrid bonzi AV? (aside from buying myself a avatar and a title)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

XkyRauh posted:

The vanilla vents are frustrating, because whether you have them jut out of the wall half a block, or try to put them in a dent in the wall, they look out of place. There's no aesthetically pleasant way to use them!

Ahem

(sixth picture)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mortvert posted:

I've been wondering - what'll happen if you drill into core of the planet? Will you start floating in middle or something? I'm curious as hell but currently, I can't play due to crappy hardware. Would any of you brave souls take a hit when the planets come out and check what happens when (if) you manage to get to the core?

Edit:
Dear god, is there a way to get rid of this horrid bonzi AV? (aside from buying myself a avatar and a title)

Edit Options, set "Show User's Avatar" to No.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame we can't have arbitrarily long pistons because it would be very neat to be able to build boreholes.

I guess conceviably you could make some kind of drilling rig which clamps onto the side of the shaft, extends the drill and a new set of clamps, then disengages the first set and retracts the rear towards the front.

Some kind of drilling inchworm thing.

I remember seeing a Russian creation on the workshop that used wheels and welders to create an infinitely long pipe for a drilling rig. Clanged like all hell though. I'll look for it when I get to a desktop.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Mortvert posted:

Edit:

Even if you have 32GB+ of Ram and 12GB of Vram you probably won't even make it to the core of a moon without the game client crashing. Forget planet cores for now, Maybe with an Nvidia Pascal GPU with 16GB HBM2 and a theoretical Intel Cannonlake i7 with 96GB HBM2 on die.

Planets and Moons are smaller than real life ones but they're still loving big.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am wondering how they will model planetary gravity, though. While it'd be really cool if they went ahead and followed the inverse square rule and implemented orbits and stuff, I can also see that being incredibly annoying once you get out into space and want to get away from things. It'd be weird to see a hard cutoff of some sort though, where you just go from Planetary Gravity - > Nothing after a certain distance. I don't know what I'd want.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GenericOverusedName posted:

I am wondering how they will model planetary gravity, though. While it'd be really cool if they went ahead and followed the inverse square rule and implemented orbits and stuff, I can also see that being incredibly annoying once you get out into space and want to get away from things. It'd be weird to see a hard cutoff of some sort though, where you just go from Planetary Gravity - > Nothing after a certain distance. I don't know what I'd want.

It gets weaker the higher you go.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
In that case, would it get stronger as you go deeper? (Until you hit the center then it'd be effectively zero, but your computer can't handle that probably).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I honestly don't know why they didn't implement Starmade's solution of impassible cores/mantles. It's close enough to the real world, and it could provide a new source of energy on planets. Design according to your limitations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Triskelli posted:

I honestly don't know why they didn't implement Starmade's solution of impassible cores/mantles. It's close enough to the real world, and it could provide a new source of energy on planets. Design according to your limitations.

Because why not? If people want to dig, let them dig. Even if it will eventually cause their PC to melt down into a small star.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because why not? If people want to dig, let them dig. Even if it will eventually cause their PC to melt down into a small star.

Maybe I shouldn't talk because I'm not a game designer, but it feels like wasted space to me. If you can dig straight through the planet what does that mean about the ore distribution for planets?

Are resources evenly distributed around and through the planet? That sounds pretty boring. More fair for a survival start, but if you're claiming a planet that means the best thing to do is set up one base and dig in as hard as you can.

Maybe there could be metallic cores like Earth has? That could be interesting, but remind me how big planets are going to be again? Regardless it would still have the same problem as above while encouraging server crashing behavior.

But how about clustered in veins in the surface? That would encourage vehicle building like the rest of the game. Possibly extra base building if you enjoy playing that way. And it discourages deep digging by not providing a benefit for doing so.

But if you're already going to passively discourage something, why not go ahead and enforce it while providing a benefit for gameplay? So you either put a hard limit with a layer of mantle "bedrock", or a soft limit of adding a rising temperature dps, and then add a geothermal power generator that gives power based on temperature. And also maybe microwave laser arrays for transmitting power.

And there you go, you've covered a weakness in the simulation, you've encouraged more dynamic play, and you still reward people for digging pretty deep: just not all the way.

Seems like a better option to me.

e: Found that mining rig I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LWVw_dl_Oc

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 11, 2015

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

GotLag posted:

Ahem

(sixth picture)

Woah! Happy to be wrong. :) Neat!

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Keen's doing a official planets release stream with the devs and a bunch of SE youtubers at 1:00pm est tomorrow. Update will probably drop during or after it I guess.

http://www.twitch.tv/keencommunitynetwork

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:siren:STREAM IS LIVE:siren:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jigoku San posted:

Keen's doing a official planets release stream with the devs and a bunch of SE youtubers at 1:00pm est tomorrow. Update will probably drop during or after it I guess.

http://www.twitch.tv/keencommunitynetwork

This stream is pretty bad.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

:siren: :siren: Update out! :siren: :siren:

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Patch notes!

KeenSWH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRu9p-3Ois

Check Marek's latest blog post: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/11/planets-because-you-wanted-them_12.html

Planetary Features
- planets and moons (tons of new assets, sounds and textures added)
- planet types: Earth-like (atmosphere with oxygen), Mars-like (no oxygen, thinner atmosphere), Alien (low oxygen, denser atmosphere)
- moon types: Earth-like Moon (no atmosphere), Europa (thin atmosphere, no oxygen), Titan (thin atmosphere, no oxygen)
- planets are 120km and moons are 19km in diameter by default
- Earthlike + Alien planet biomes: desert, woodlands, mountains, ice-land, poles
- gravity: roughly 1G on planets, 0.25G on moons (but gravity depends on type of the planet/moon)
- weight affects the behavior of all ships in natural gravity - the heavier a ship is the more thrusting power is required to fly/move
- planets and moons are persistent & fully destructible - anything you build or destroy will stay there forever. You can even dig through the planet if you want!
- different vegetation on alien and earth-like planets, flora destruction
- you have to start new world with planets enabled
- planets are not randomly generated in a world, they are placed there. But a planet/moon surface and materials are 50% pre-made assets (height-map) and 50% generated (ore nodes, voxel types, textures, etc.). It is possible to prepare your worlds in creative, place the planets where you want them and switch to survival if you wish. You can also publish any world premade like that on the workshop
- adding planets in creative mode: Shift+F10, you can customize the size and type of planet/moon you are adding
- visible ore sites on planets (darker areas) that can lead you to rich mineral veins. There are three different tiers of ore deposits
- platinum is found only on moons and asteroids, uranium is rare on planets
- autopilot is capable of flight above the planet's surface with evade collision enabled. With this on though, it won't fly closer than few tens of meters, so if you want them to fly inside a cave system, you will need to uncheck collision and make gps coordinates carefully

New Starting Worlds
- Earth Easy Start: you start on a habitable planet with a set of basic vehicles. Your survival is threatened by attacking pirates who set up shop within range of their drones
- Mars Easy Start: you become a colonist on a barren, inhospitable planet. Make sure you secure a source of ice soon. Also beware of local pirates
- Alien Easy Start: the alien planet is a place with very sparse oxygen, not enough to breath freely. There is hostile fauna and pirates who want to claim the riches of this mysterious world and are not willing to share
- Moon Easy Start: you start on a moon orbiting a habitable planet. Your base is under attack by pirates
- Empty Star System: it is a star system with 3 distinctive planets and their 3 moons. Except for local fauna, planets are uninhabited (no pirate threats)
- more starting worlds will be added soon (e.g. crashed ship and more)

AI Enemies, Fauna
- sabiroids (what is known by community as "space spiders"): can be found on Alien planet type and on Titan type moons. They can destroy metal blocks and attack players. Their favorite hunting strategy is hiding in the ground and un-burrow to surprise their prey. When players kill a spider, new spiders won’t appear in the area for some time. Sabiroids also store few components inside their bodies from objects and blocks that they consumed.
- pirate bases: can be found either in space or occupying planetary surface. They have bounty hidden inside their containers that players can loot if they get over the drone attacks. There is one pirate headquarters on every planet, which is well protected and filled with traps and loot.
- enemy drones: they spawn automatically from pirate bases and attack the players trespassing into pirate territory

New blocks and components
- new block: Atmospheric thrusters - powered by electricity, working only on planets with atmosphere
- current (ion) thrusters are more suitable for environment without natural gravity (space). They are weak near moons and really weak on a planet
- new block: small ship air-vent that is crucial for piloting ships without the helmet - it is important to be set to depressurized (blue indication)

Minor changes
- gravity generators are not working in natural gravity. The generated gravity becomes weaker and weaker with more natural gravity and from 0,4g of natural gravity the generators are not producing any artificial gravity fields at all
- jump drives are not working in natural gravity
- cargo ships cannot be switched ON for worlds containing planets for now (this is only temporary change)
- jetpack's power is based on the environment and the G strength (1G = 7 seconds of fuel). They can't be used the same way as they are in space
- possibility to setup max speed for wheels
- possibility to activate horizon + height indicator in all cockpits
- solar + battery is the way to power your grids from the start on planets. Reactors become viable only in the later stages of the game when you get to space and find rich uranium deposits, because uranium is a rare find on the planets
- slight area of effect nerf for hand drills

Planets are made fully moddable, we are preparing the modding guide for you and will release it in the near future.
More planetary survival elements will be released in the future updates, so stay tuned and have fun with planets!

IMPORTANT: Please note that planets are possible only on systems with DirectX 11. You can still play DX9 version of the game without planets. Make sure to check the updated Recommended System Requirements at: http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/system-requirements.html

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I told my girlfriend that today was the biggest day in gaming because of Planets and that my entire weekend was gonna be absorbed. She responded by saying "Are you taking about that game you build Penis like spaceships in."

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:holy:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I can hardly believe that I initially bought this when it was essentially a 'crash poo poo together in space' simulator. I never ever imagined that it could become something so loving awesome, I can't wait to play around with planets.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I can hardly believe that I initially bought this when it was essentially a 'crash poo poo together in space' simulator. I never ever imagined that it could become something so loving awesome, I can't wait to play around with planets.

Same. Keen is a legit company.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah same here too. I was pretty happy with what I got when I bought this but they've kept adding and adding and it's turned into one of my better uses of gaming money.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

It's doubly interesting because Starbound has had the opposite journey in many ways, and I probably would have bet on that at the start rather than SE.

Do people still bitch about how Miner Wars was unfinished or whatever?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone please gif or video their ship falling from space to impact on the planet?

Asking for a friend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
OP's updated, as well as some very important bug notifications.

The new jump effect is nice, I like that there's one for arrival now, but I kinda preferred the multicolour blue-shift left behind after a ship vanishes.

edit: Wow, they badly need a hotfix. Froze when I pasted in a ship or flew too high over a planet, not to mention trying to devour all 16gb of my RAM.

Seeing as I can't spend 5 minutes on a planet without the game freezing, I worked some new pods to the Hawk starfighter just so it isn't constantly burning fuel in atmosphere.

Winds up looking a bit A-10 Gunship-ish as a result, but with my mental math I think it can lug most of its dorsal pods on just the wing boosters without having to resort to hydrogen.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 13, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, if the pasted in ship clips the planet it tanks. Grass even at 0.1 is killing my fps too. But its all good, I'm loving just tooling around a planet with a vanilla buggy.

Holy gently caress, don't use a ship with the Azumuth ore detector on a planet, ~6 million hits locked up the game.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 13, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Do the new planet easy starts also have all the other planets there to visit?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Do the new planet easy starts also have all the other planets there to visit?

Should do, so long as you set the World's size to infinite. Also, I like that they've just made the lakes out of ice :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 13, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Should do, so long as you set the World's size to infinite.

I don't think so. Patch notes say planets are not generated, but placed manually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't think so. Patch notes say planets are not generated, but placed manually.

No, that means that the planets are a pre-existing template (Earth, Mars or Alien) and then randomly altered to add mountains, valleys and flora along with biomes.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

All the easy starts and star system have the 3 types in close (relative, lol) proximity with or without infinite on, the single habitable planet one doesn't, obviously. And the small chance you can find more wandering in infinite.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that means that the planets are a pre-existing template (Earth, Mars or Alien) and then randomly altered to add mountains, valleys and flora along with biomes.

From what they where saying on the stream it sounded like the terrain maps were hand crafted and the biomes/ores are random, they will be releasing tools so people can make planets too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Right, let's do this thing! :orks101:

Combat alert, and we're gonna make the biggest belly-flop of all time! :rock:

5km to go! CRASH AND BURN!

Alright, let's watch this thing turn into a massive stream of wrecked...

*Thud* Huh....

Uh...

Well, poo poo... :ohdear:.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It survived the drop test. Now install 500m/s speed mod and do it again. :black101:

I felt the need for something more stylish to tool around in on planets, so I revisited a old build. A new Pulsar for a new age, the Pulsar A, and the special edition Interceptor.

:perfect:

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So planets are no loving joke in terms of computing power needed. Freaking 5 minutes of loading time at the very least, sub-10 fps, and random frames hitching. Granted I'm currently running with a radeon hd 5800 g-card right now, but I'll be slotting in a GTX 970 some time next week :dance:. Will a new graphics card help with the fps here or is this mostly cpu intensive?

Also, I don't mind that pirates are attacking me with drones every now and then, it's just that they're attacking me almost every 2 minutes and I can't keep up with repairs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm running the game on 2560x1600 on a 980Ti and an i7 4770k, and the performance is really good. It's an overkill machine, but I'm still surprised. Trying similar things in similar games usually gets me into teen fps, if not single digit.

There are annoying stutters here and there, I'm guessing due to loading more landscape/updating voxels etc, but when I'm not moving around at high speeds or crashing from orbit, its perfectly playable. I'm actually surprised at how well it runs.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
While loading a planets map my i5 2500k CPU clocked at 4.6Ghz will sit at 30% usage on all cores as Space Engineers gobbles up close to 7GB of ram. Then it'll spike to 100%, the loading cog will freeze for a minute then continue at 99% as the map finally loads. More mods results in a dramatically slower load time.

How does the dedicated server handle it when it's limited to a single thread?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's no orbital mechanics, right?

Also,

quote:

- you have to start new world with planets enabled

RIP asteroid base. You were a good save since you were created, when oxygen wasn't even a thing. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

How does the dedicated server handle it when it's limited to a single thread?

I'm running one for my friends, and while there's only one person playing right now, it's using 2% cpu and 2 gigs of ram. Peanuts, basically.

HardDisk posted:

There's no orbital mechanics, right?

Right.

e: Technically, there are, but top speed is way too low for you to miss the planet when falling down to it.

• Locked thread