Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've seen Kinane four times in the last 16ish months and each time has been a different show. One wasn't long before he recorded this latest special and there was very little of the material I saw on the special. Two of them were back to back nights, so there was a little overlap, but barely. And all four of them were loving killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Bobby Kelly has a special that went up on Netflix recently that is one of the funniest specials that I watched this year.

I also just about died watching this Earthquake special on youtube because he doesn't give you the chance to catch your breath before the next tag or punchline comes. I need to watch more Earthquake. I want to find a special that I saw years and years ago where he talks about getting angry over nothing and work and quitting your job to look big and then that night sitting on your bed and worrying. I laughed so loving hard at his delivery f that when I saw it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Matt Braunger's Big Dumb Animal is probably my favorite special of this year and the most cohesive hour he's done yet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Diane Spencer's new special is out. For free on Youtube, like her previous specials, but also available for five quid, Louis CK style.

She's great. Top notch storytelling chops and she can pull off being filthy without it seeming forced. She needs more fans.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night we resubscribed to HBO, just so we could watch the new Amy Schumer and Tig Notaro specials. Both were tremendously entertaining. Tig's special was the exact show we saw earlier this year, except she didn't take her shirt off when we saw her. We're also listening to the recent Comedy Bang Bang podcast episode with Tig and Stephanie Allyne being adorable and talking about their relationship.

I'm going to cancel HBO again, though. We've seen all the shows we care to see, the movie selection is awful, and they have some of the worst hacks of all time in their older comedy specials.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Did you use HBO Now or did you actually subscribe and watch it on demand? I've been curious to hear people's impressions of HBOs new service.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jodai posted:

Did you use HBO Now or did you actually subscribe and watch it on demand? I've been curious to hear people's impressions of HBOs new service.

We have cable anyway, so we resubscribed through our cable company (Bright House; don't much like them), watched Amy on demand, and watched Tig via HBO Go through our Xbox 360.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Don't know how many of you are familiar with Mary Mack. She describes herself as a "folk humorist" and I know that sounds awful but really she's more of just a stand-up comic with a folksy background (Webster, Wisconsin) and a whimsical playful style. Her voice sounds like a cousin of Maria Bamford. She was on Last Comic Standing I think about 7 years ago and her style has really developed. Any way, I got to do some time ahead of her at a house show this weekend and she told me she has a new album, and sure enough she does! I like it a lot although I prefer her live show. She gives people more freedom to speak during crowd work than anyone else I know, but luckily nobody decided to gently caress everything up. Here's the spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/5F6FF3OVKE5xHxfqJueCXz

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What kinda material was he doing? Funny voices stuff or like Conan O'Brien cellphone stuff?

A couple of more absurd or unconnected bits (some thinking about Achilles), but mostly along the storytelling sorta trajectory, like family/daughter stuff and reminiscing about some past memories that came out of digging an answering machine out of storage.

Seemed pretty far along, and as good as you'd expect.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

Shovelbearer posted:

Don't know how many of you are familiar with Mary Mack.

I've seen Mary Mack live in LA and she's really loving funny. Also a good cartoonist!

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Groucho Marxist posted:

I like when Bill Burr calls the companies who advertise on his podcast stupid and/or lovely and they pull their sponsorship

I miss the Draft Kings reads.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Asterios posted:

I've seen Mary Mack live in LA and she's really loving funny. Also a good cartoonist!

Agreed. Also I remember seeing her one time when she host Comedy Death Ray/Bang Bang right before it ended at UCB. Wish she was more famous got more recognition but she seems to make Minnesota her home base and tour a lot in that area.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

RanchoRube posted:

I miss the Draft Kings reads.

Me too. "One guy won a million dollars. Another guy lost his house"

And of course, shaaaaaaari's berries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prickly Pete posted:

Me too. "One guy won a million dollars. Another guy lost his house"

And of course, shaaaaaaari's berries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

YOU GOTTA SEE THESE ENORMOUS BERRIES FOR YOURSELF

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw Stewart Lee's special on Netflix. Great stuff, amazing delivery.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which one?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jyrka posted:

Which one?

41st Best Comedian of All Time

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neil Hamburger in Boston this Friday night (tomorrow at Great Scott), goddamn I'm jazzed for this. The best in the biz.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Heavy Metal posted:

Neil Hamburger in Boston this Friday night (tomorrow at Great Scott), goddamn I'm jazzed for this. The best in the biz.

His shows are so loving good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HEY NONG MAN posted:

His shows are so loving good.

You weren't kidding! Guy tore the house town. My first time seeing Mr. Hamburger live.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

41st Best Comedian of All Time

Oh sick, saw it was on spotify but didn't know it was up on netflix too. I think that was probably the first stand up special I watched and really liked

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is Carpet Remnant World available legally in the US? It's been out forever in the UK.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

Is Carpet Remnant World available legally in the US? It's been out forever in the UK.

Not that I can see... sorry my friend but it looks like it's DVD import or crime

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Carpet Remnant World is probably worth it though

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Caught a late show of Greg Fitzsimmons in a small room tonight. I don't think his fans were in attendance, and I think that the room would have had more energy if the AC wasn't still blasting in early November, but I felt that his opener had just as good of a set as Fitz did. He did a lot of material from his Life on Stage special, from 2013. Thing was, he did the iphone-on-the-stool thing to record the set. He was selling DVD's with a lot of the same material on it after the show, so why record it if the set wasn't a work-out?

I would still encourage any comedy fans to go see him if he stops by your town, just maybe not if you'd watched his special recently.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anyone heard Eugene Mirman's new album? I've heard good things.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm hearing it right now thanks to Spotify and you. I otherwise wouldn't have expected a new album from him, as it feels like just yesterday he put out that Netflix special.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If you don't want to buy the box set, the arm chair or the bathrobe Sub Pop also has the album part up for free streaming.

http://www.avclub.com/article/stream-eugene-mirmans-new-comedy-album-im-sorry-yo-227343

Watch Jerry Springer: The Opera, then watch this set, which is him dealing with the fallout from that show.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 9, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Alright, team, I need a hand finding a clip. I'm trying to find a clip of a comic reading texts between him, while drunk, and his wife. I think it's from a late night show. I would have sworn it was Nate Bargatze, but that doesn't seem to be right.

EDIT: hooray, I'm not totally crazy
http://teamcoco.com/video/nate-bargatze-standup

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

New Mulaney special is so loving good

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ceramics posted:

New Mulaney special is so loving good

Came to say this. Definitely his strongest special, and that's saying something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Has anyone that's watched his special seen him live in the last year or so? He said on this week's Comedy Bang Bang that he finishes this special with the Clinton story he told the last 2 times I've seen him live. I want to know if there's enough "new" material to bother with watching it on Netflix.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm half through the special right now and it's almost verbatim what his show was when I saw him in September. (Still excellent though.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've never seen him live so I loved it, but yea a couple other people are saying it's basically all jokes he's done in other shows, so if you've already seen him a couple times you probably know what's in it.

That Clinton story though. Mulaney is so good at being a storyteller as well as telling jokes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Good timing by Jeselnik again, he tweeted today that, SPEAKING OF TRAGEDIES, you should check out Mulaney's new special. loving love that guy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Good timing by Jeselnik again, he tweeted today that, SPEAKING OF TRAGEDIES, you should check out Mulaney's new special. loving love that guy.

Saw that. Such a good tweet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Berzerker posted:

I'm half through the special right now and it's almost verbatim what his show was when I saw him in September. (Still excellent though.)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've never seen him live so I loved it, but yea a couple other people are saying it's basically all jokes he's done in other shows, so if you've already seen him a couple times you probably know what's in it.

That Clinton story though. Mulaney is so good at being a storyteller as well as telling jokes.

I figured that'd be the case. Most live shows for bigger names are just test material for recorded specials anyway. Everyone should absolutely watch it since that's the case, though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah it's incredibly good, I've just seen it live twice. Didn't make it any less funny. He doesn't waste a single word, everything is so well rehearsed, he's such a pro.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone else think that Jim Jeffries is pretty much the best thing going? I've seen all of his stand up specials and the guy just kills it. Haven't seen his TV show yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone else think that Jim Jeffries is pretty much the best thing going? I've seen all of his stand up specials and the guy just kills it. Haven't seen his TV show yet.

Yes.