Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GreyPowerVan posted:

try reloading

What, if you reload do AI exiled armies teleport home? Or is it just a kick to the AI that sometimes wakes it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

The form netherlands decision requires you to give up your French provinces, right?

What if France is my vassal? Or they are dead?

EDIT: Also, does diplomatic reputation have anything to do with PU or is it only prestige + royal marry people with no heir?

You only cede provinces to France if France exists, unless they've changed that recently.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You only cede provinces to France if France exists, unless they've changed that recently.

Thanks, looks like I have to end France's life.

Gort posted:

What, if you reload do AI exiled armies teleport home? Or is it just a kick to the AI that sometimes wakes it up?

reloading basically resets the AI, that's why you see a lot of rivalrys change when you reload games.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GreyPowerVan posted:

The form netherlands decision requires you to give up your French provinces, right?

Only if you do it as Burgundy, AFAIK.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why is DDRJake so good at this game? It's 1459, he started as Trebizond, he already owns 11~ provinces and has another 10-11 in vassals.

EDIT: Mostly I'm just amazed at how he randomly knows which rebels are important to let rebel and conquer provinces, which rebels he doesn't have to worry about, just how much overextension he can let pile up, etc.

I mean, I guess it comes with how loving much he's played.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2015

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

How does defensive attitude work? I've helped Castile out in multiple wars and when I mouse over their opinion I have their utter trust but they still wont help me out in offensive wars. None of my allies will anymore except Austria. I thought Sweden would help since I helped them with their independence.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Too Poetic posted:

How does defensive attitude work? I've helped Castile out in multiple wars and when I mouse over their opinion I have their utter trust but they still wont help me out in offensive wars. None of my allies will anymore except Austria. I thought Sweden would help since I helped them with their independence.

It means the AI considers you an important ally but doesn't really want you becoming stronger either, so they'll join you in defensive calls but decline offensive ones bar exceptional circumstances (attacking their rival or something).

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

What ideas should I pick as Sweden? I pick Admin first because the mercenary bonuses sync well with that country, but what else? I'm going for Sweden is Not Overpowered and it's surprisingly tough, I've had to restart multiple times because Muscovy keeps attacking and ruining my poo poo with their gigantic stacks.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How can I make more money as Ayutthaya? I have a decent little empire going in 1672, but wars with Europe are expensive. Here's my budget and military:

As you can see, I don't have a lot of stuff I don't need in the budget, I just don't have enough money. Currently I have 6 loans out. Of the 46 army maintenance, about 40 is for the regular army with the rest for mercs and reinforcement. Diplomatic expenses are subsidies to 4 CNs.

I really need more money to keep my fleets competitive and province buildings upgraded. Since my provinces are crappy Asian ones I figure I should try making more money from trade. I'm not very good at that despite 400 hours played. Of course I moved my trade port to Malacca. One merchant collects there, all the others transfer trade in that direction. But for having so many merchants (from CNs) I'm not making much money. What can I do to optimize trade?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Contingency Plan posted:

What ideas should I pick as Sweden? I pick Admin first because the mercenary bonuses sync well with that country, but what else? I'm going for Sweden is Not Overpowered and it's surprisingly tough, I've had to restart multiple times because Muscovy keeps attacking and ruining my poo poo with their gigantic stacks.

Depends. Admin is great, Influence is good if you want to expand into the HRE(You should join the HRE before you start expanding, otherwise you're just making your midgame a lot more challenging than it needs to be), Exploration and Expansion if you want to go to the Americas/Asia, Religious if you knock out Muscowy early and eat into Sunni lands.

As for Military ideas, Offensive, Defensive and Quality are the go to idea sets for people not colonizing. If you're colonizing, Quantity becomes the best by a pretty large margin.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Contingency Plan posted:

This was my last game, it's really fun. Admin is very good, I also liked:

- Religious, because it's sometimes hard to get a decent CB on neighbors. This is good for smashing Russians and then Germans after you convert to Protestant or Reformed.
- Offensive, the +discipline stacks well with Swedish bonuses. Obviously Quality is a good pickup too.
- Influence, and later Diplomatic, for keeping the HRE less pissed off at you.

In my game, I overwhelmed Novgorod early and then pressed into Muscovy, getting Russian accepted and occupying all the way to the Urals. Good choice for pretty-borders obsessives. You could use Humanist here but it's also good to just convert everyone. I found that I could get really powerful through adventures in Russia and Poland-Lithuania, then settled scores with the Germans (and the Baltic coast) late in the game.

edit: Don't play as a colonizer imo, it doesn't get you much and Sweden isn't in much of a position for it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

edit: Don't play as a colonizer imo, it doesn't get you much and Sweden isn't in much of a position for it

Everyone on the coast of Western Europe can benefit from colonizing, it just requires you tailor your expansion around grabbing as much as you can of the Channel or Genoa to dominate the trade coming in from the Americas. For Sweden, vassalizing Norway and going through Scotland is a relatively easy route to conquer the channel. By the time trade is really picking up from the Americas, you should be able to have a decent presence in the Channel. Of course, other nations do it better, but it is a very easy way to supercharge your income going into the mid and late game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How can I make more money as Ayutthaya?
Well first of all you are paying more than 12 ducats/month solely in interest and you have an inflation of more than 10 percent. Secondly do you really need to have that many forts maintained? 16 ducats/month in maintenance seems high, unless you either are planning to go to war right now or they are all next to an aggressive neighbor. And lower your army maintenance during peace. And is the port access needed? Every ducat counts and you are wasting two a month on that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cynic Jester posted:

Everyone on the coast of Western Europe can benefit from colonizing, it just requires you tailor your expansion around grabbing as much as you can of the Channel or Genoa to dominate the trade coming in from the Americas. For Sweden, vassalizing Norway and going through Scotland is a relatively easy route to conquer the channel. By the time trade is really picking up from the Americas, you should be able to have a decent presence in the Channel. Of course, other nations do it better, but it is a very easy way to supercharge your income going into the mid and late game.

Benefit from it, sure, but I don't think you should do the colonization yourself, at least not until later in the game. I've tried and it just doesn't do much for you. You're too far away and too late to get to Africa, so you kinda get to Canada and you can maybe dominate the Chesapeake Bay trade node, but that's not really where the real money is, and if you don't already dominate the North Sea and the Channel area you don't get most of the benefits yourself either.

Contingency Plan posted:

You need to pick on Novgorod early and take Neva and Ingermanland to prevent Muscovy from getting to the Baltic sea. High value provinces like Pskov and Novgorod itself are also important. An alliance with Poland-Lithuania is great but if you can't swing that the knight orders might do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 13, 2015

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

YF-23 posted:

It means the AI considers you an important ally but doesn't really want you becoming stronger either, so they'll join you in defensive calls but decline offensive ones bar exceptional circumstances (attacking their rival or something).
I see. I keep getting into mid game and none of my allies want to help and I cant seem to take anyone around me alone. Anyone have some advice? Like right now I'm playing as Scotland managed to form GB and I managed to take land in Brittany. I have to fight France but I cant seem to even 1 on 1 their armies have way more morale.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Star posted:

Well first of all you are paying more than 12 ducats/month solely in interest and you have an inflation of more than 10 percent. Secondly do you really need to have that many forts maintained? 16 ducats/month in maintenance seems high, unless you either are planning to go to war right now or they are all next to an aggressive neighbor. And lower your army maintenance during peace. And is the port access needed? Every ducat counts and you are wasting two a month on that.

Yeah, should've mentioned I'm fighting France right now. I can eke out a profit if I set army pay to nothing and mothball most of my fleets and forts, but it's still austerity mode until I can get rid of those loans. What's the best way to deal with inflation? Economic and Innovative ideas both help a little bit, but not much.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat the Commonwealth is ridiculous. They've expanded so far east that Persia was able to westernize off of them. You'd think I'd be safe from Polish Hussars in India but nope.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

TheFluff posted:

You need to pick on Novgorod early and take Neva and Ingermanland to prevent Muscovy from getting to the Baltic sea. High value provinces like Pskov and Novgorod itself are also important. An alliance with Poland-Lithuania is great but if you can't swing that the knight orders might do.

In my most recent attempt Muscovy was my ally and I took Novgorod's Baltic provinces without much trouble. Muscovy cancelled our alliance and rivaled me because they really, really wanted Ingermanland. They proceeded to conquer a bunch of land from Kazan and the Golden Horde as well as reducing Novgorod to a OPM in Karelia before coming for me. Me and my allies Bohemia, Poland (but not Lithuania) weren't enough to stop Muscovy and that was the end of that game.

Next time I'm going to ally Novgorod and no-CB war Muscovy while they're fighting the hordes in the early decades, whatever it takes to strangle them in their cradle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, should've mentioned I'm fighting France right now. I can eke out a profit if I set army pay to nothing and mothball most of my fleets and forts, but it's still austerity mode until I can get rid of those loans. What's the best way to deal with inflation? Economic and Innovative ideas both help a little bit, but not much.

You can and should buy it down with admin. Compared to the cost of a tech for you it is cheap.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

drat the Commonwealth is ridiculous. They've expanded so far east that Persia was able to westernize off of them. You'd think I'd be safe from Polish Hussars in India but nope.

It's time for you and Ming to drive the European swine back to their flea beds. Hopefully they don't hate you.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Is the Commonwealth created by event/decision or is it Poland inheriting Lithuania using normal mechanics? I see it most games so I'm guessing it's the former?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enjoy posted:

Is the Commonwealth created by event/decision or is it Poland inheriting Lithuania using normal mechanics? I see it most games so I'm guessing it's the former?
It is decision by Poland. Integrates Lithuania instantly and for free. It is really OP.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I hate that kind of stuff. Yesterday I did my first proper play as England for a long time and after I annexed my Scottish vassal for 450 diplomatic points I saw there was a decision unlocked in a few years to do it for free.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm a little disillusioned with a couple of parts of the game - the Holy Roman Empire and the Ming factions system. In both systems you can get screwed by random events you have no control over - get a female heir in the HRE without the chance to get the Pragmatic Sanction in place? Goodbye Emperorship. Oh, and the new emperor is a loser and revokes reforms every time he loses a war.

Meanwhile in my Ming game, I got an incredible heir with 6/5/5 stats, but for some reason his claim was weak so he had 54 legitimacy when he took the throne. Mandate of heaven lost, Ming explodes.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
China mechanics are garbage holdovers from EU3 but the HRE is fun and has interesting politics

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Average Bear posted:

China mechanics are garbage holdovers from EU3 but the HRE is fun and has interesting politics

The problem is that China represents a political entity that spans more territory and people than the HRE even. China is so large that, during this time period, whole peoples, numbering millions, will pick up and move from place to place within it. China is more like an HRE with landfriede and no choice to decline a CtA if a member is attacked.

Maybe it should just be made into another HRE. It seems like it would be a waste if a game followed a "historical" track, since China didn't fracture into warring states during this time period, but it would enable China to decompose interestingly. It would also make takeovers work better. Once Manchu forms Qing (honestly, once <an eligible state> forms <a new dynasty> - let's make this thing dynamic!) they should be able to conquer / diplomacy Chinese statebits into their own orbit much more easily than simply taking Ming territory. Since they wouldn't have to core it, this would allow Qing to conquer Ming as quickly as they did historically. It would also allow you to discard the celestial empire 50% autonomy floor - most of your territory is held by a patchwork of bureaucrats, nobles, generals, and tribes, who are only paying vassal fees to you.

It would make it possible for faction politics to be quite harmful - vassals could have pretty high liberty desire (but Chinese vassals still have to pay tax even if they're rebellious) and it could tick up or down based on overall dynastic health (strings of bad rulers cause it to get very high). Putting bureacrats in power could make this tick downwards in exchange for vastly curtailing what vassals pay in to the treasury - eunuchs would have the opposite effect, and so on. The mandate of heaven system could be thrown out and instead be represented by this dynastic HP bar. If your dynastic health is bad and your statebits are unhappy, then you run the risk of losing the mantle.

Losing the mantle is different. It means that rival dynasties can declare from within and without. It also means that external countries can vassalize or diplo-vassalize your statebits - when you have the mantle, they can only conquer them. Furthermore, it means that your statebits start building their own armies and stop paying manpower into your pool. The ones that like you are still allied to you, but like regular vassals, e.g. they attach their (inferior) armies to yours. Vassals that don't like you might strike out on their own, meaning you get civil war. This is more likely to happen when invaded from without. Vassals that don't like you can optionally side with a rival dynasty.

The downside to this is a ton of new tags. Like, as many new tags as Europe currently has tags, probably. It would slow the game down a lot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
But you'll make the game double banned in China.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That sounds like insanity.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
We might see something interesting happen with Chinese internal politics when the estates come out. Though probably not since that'd be big enough to get a developer diary post.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I still feel that estates will be an annoyance rather than interesting gameplay. The part of the game that makes our brains go "oooo good" is watching our borders expand. Civ has good tall, internal internal gameplay because cities expand with buildings and borders expand without war. You just can't trigger the fun sensor in our rat brains without a map painting mechanic in this game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It sounds hosed up but that's what people always talk about in the thread; pretty borders.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dibujante posted:

The downside to this is a ton of new tags. Like, as many new tags as Europe currently has tags, probably. It would slow the game down a lot.

I dunno, you could do it with 15 or 20 quasi-historical statelets. I guess Ming would start with the special China government giving them free vassalage over the rest. You could even have a system with HRE-style reforms that cost Chinese Imperial Authority.

e: Though tbh, this basically reimplements CK2 in EU4. We might have to wait a while on that.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Average Bear posted:

I still feel that estates will be an annoyance rather than interesting gameplay. The part of the game that makes our brains go "oooo good" is watching our borders expand. Civ has good tall, internal internal gameplay because cities expand with buildings and borders expand without war. You just can't trigger the fun sensor in our rat brains without a map painting mechanic in this game.

Cool fun is some kind of dopamine fueled process just like love is oxytocin and since only borders make the fun receptors fire [citation needed] then estates are going to be bad. You heard it here first. Going in Nature next week.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Cool fun is some kind of dopamine fueled process just like love is oxytocin and since only borders make the fun receptors fire [citation needed] then estates are going to be bad. You heard it here first. Going in Nature next week.

Paradox, why don't you employ any neuroscientists to improve the efficacy of your products? Call me.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
LOL!!!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I dunno, you could do it with 15 or 20 quasi-historical statelets. I guess Ming would start with the special China government giving them free vassalage over the rest. You could even have a system with HRE-style reforms that cost Chinese Imperial Authority.

e: Though tbh, this basically reimplements CK2 in EU4. We might have to wait a while on that.

CK2 would do a good job of it. Replace bishops with bureaucrats and the emperor always has free investiture. Nobles are still nobles and can't be messed with without producing anger.

Basically the problem with any China in EU4 is that it's pretty boring as a unified country, and it was more unified than the HRE by a large margin. I do think it makes sense to err on the side of fun over historicity with China.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I think you're a little off. People play to expand because there is nothing interesting about internal politics, rather than expansion being inherently fun. I've a number of runs doing dumb poo poo like releasing minors and feeding them their parent country (welcome to the kiev-kiev commonkiev) or westernizing the Aztec and liberating every CN. I would kill for engaging internal politics, sine once you're the most powerful country in the world, painting the map is just tedium.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Would appreciate some advice. The Pr-Otto-stant Empire, ca. 1600:

I lucked into a PU with France :getin: and won the League Wars about 1580, am HRE. It took me up until now to finally catch up with conversions, lots of rebellions and short on cash between converting to Protestantism and recently.

My main threats are the Commonwealth, Spain, and GB. Muscovy is a pushover who has no friends, I beat them up whenever I can find the time and take a few cores. Ming I kicked in the nuts by driving their WE up to 20 and white peacing, they splintered fairly nicely. Tried the same with Commonwealth during the League Wars but that accomplished absolutely nothing :smith:. My idea picks so far are Admin, Influence, Religious, Quality.

Couple of questions:

Am I on a reasonable track for 1,000 provinces and/or a world conquest? I'm gonna guess I'm doing fine but need to break up Commonwealth in particular ASAP.

What's the best way to conquer/control the New World? With France PU'd I have some colonial conquest CBs on GB and the Iberians. Do I use those to conquer and create my own colonial nations, vassalize theirs? Or just vassalize/annex the European parent nations and get their colonies that way? Basically would my time be better spent going after the colonies and colonial nations right now (1600) or mauling their parent nations?

Deport The Irish posted:

I would kill for engaging internal politics, sine once you're the most powerful country in the world, painting the map is just tedium.
Yeah basically. I'm already getting a little bored of this game and it's only 1600, the notion of chain-warring a bunch of weak enemies for the next 200 years is not too appealing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 14, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Deport The Irish posted:

I think you're a little off. People play to expand because there is nothing interesting about internal politics, rather than expansion being inherently fun. I've a number of runs doing dumb poo poo like releasing minors and feeding them their parent country (welcome to the kiev-kiev commonkiev) or westernizing the Aztec and liberating every CN. I would kill for engaging internal politics, sine once you're the most powerful country in the world, painting the map is just tedium.

Yeah this. I would really like a system that tries to model maybe generals, advisors, diplomats/missionaries/colonists, local magnates, and royals more as people than as optional modifiers. It would have to be on a limited scale -- nothing as in depth as CK but maybe just a little more character to your people, a sense that you're ruling more than just a blob on a map. I'm sure it would make the game unplayably slow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Would appreciate some advice. The Pr-Otto-stant Empire, ca. 1600:

I lucked into a PU with France :getin: and won the League Wars about 1580, am HRE. It took me up until now to finally catch up with conversions, lots of rebellions and short on cash between converting to Protestantism and recently.

My main threats are the Commonwealth, Spain, and GB. Muscovy is a pushover who has no friends, I beat them up whenever I can find the time and take a few cores. Ming I kicked in the nuts by driving their WE up to 20 and white peacing, they splintered fairly nicely. Tried the same with Commonwealth during the League Wars but that accomplished absolutely nothing :smith:. My idea picks so far are Admin, Influence, Religious, Quality.

Couple of questions:

Am I on a reasonable track for 1,000 provinces and/or a world conquest? I'm gonna guess I'm doing fine but need to break up Commonwealth in particular ASAP.

What's the best way to conquer/control the New World? With France PU'd I have some colonial conquest CBs on GB and the Iberians. Do I use those to conquer and create my own colonial nations, vassalize theirs? Or just vassalize/annex the European parent nations and get their colonies that way? Basically would my time be better spent going after the colonies and colonial nations right now (1600) or mauling their parent nations?

Yeah basically. I'm already getting a little bored of this game and it's only 1600, the notion of chain-warring a bunch of weak enemies for the next 200 years is not too appealing.

I would honestly keep Muscovy around as a vassal, because if you give them a little money, they will slowly colonize out to Siberia for you, and won't be super expensive to annex because those provinces will mostly all be 1/1/1. Especially since you have Influence. The same applies to New World nations... Leave France in a PU until the integration will finish shortly before the game ends, because they will colonize. The absolute best way to zero-idea colonize is to vassal or PU european colonizers, because their CNs will become yours when integrated. But you can also use France's CBs to steal their New World coastal provinces, then subsidize your new CNs to make them colonize faster.

But honestly I quit my games far before I get that huge because I find it extremely boring to beat up nations that are much smaller for hours. Even when they get into competitive alliance webs, since they never bunch up their armies you just play an increasingly annoying game of whack-a-mole.

• Locked thread