Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I mean; this is hardly the first Bethesda game with unkillable NPCs.

Yeaa but come on, if the game gives you the option to turn on a space engine above someone's head you want to melt them to death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's great that power armour is actually a uniquely big deal instead of just a regular piece of equipment in your inventory with just some more DR. It'd be nice if there was a way to just bring it over to you instead of having to manually retrieve it every time, though. Having a vertibird swoop by and airdrop it right on your position would be pretty great, or maybe just some high-tech teleporting doodad. Hopefully there'll be some mods to take care of that soon-ish.

I have the same annoyance and i try to travel in the Power Armor, but take it off before going inside somewhere, this pleases my autism.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
God help you though if you want to transfer a piece of power armor from one suit to another.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How does power in settlements work? I'm trying to get some lights in the house but I'm a retard and can't figure it out.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Drakenel posted:

God help you though if you want to transfer a piece of power armor from one suit to another.

Press R on one, take the piece, press R on the other?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

Do semi autos benefit from the rifleman perk?

Every rifle that is semi-auto benefits from the rifleman perk including shotguns and energy weapons.

Unless you meant the sniper perk, which only works if your gun has an actual scope on it and not a glow / reflex sight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

a7m2 posted:

How does power in settlements work? I'm trying to get some lights in the house but I'm a retard and can't figure it out.

You need a power pylon/node in the general vicinity of lights to power them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Lady Naga posted:

Press R on one, take the piece, press R on the other?

My god the effort.

Also if you want power armor on demand couldn't you put a companion in a suit and then jack it when you want it? I don't think they use cells or durability.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You could, but then that means they don't get their own suit, and why would I not want to be the Power Armour Pals?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gridlocked posted:

You need a power pylon/node in the general vicinity of lights to power them.

I didn't realize until I read an article about it yesterday, that apparently to power a whole house you just wire up a bunch of those conduits on the outside of the building to a pylon and the electricity gets inside by magic I guess (or the metal walls of my shack are now completely electrified).

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I can only imagine the crazy iron man style armor mods that will get made to solve these issues.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Or you run the wiring through the walls and the game absctracts the process because it'd be boring to have to wire your virtual house.

"Wow these walls just pop up fully formed by magic I guess, thanks Bethesda."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lady Naga posted:

Or you run the wiring through the walls and the game absctracts the process because it'd be boring to have to wire your virtual house.

I'm not saying I want to realistically wire up a house, just that it's kind of unintuitive and weird.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm finding all the settlement, power armour and body part specific armour stuff very confusing. Luckily none of that is holding me back from just looting and pillaging everything I find.

The game is a technical mess but just setting off and exploring is as atmospheric and compelling as ever.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

This is Fallout, not Skyrim, so you must replace all mentions of "magic" with "science" in order to remain true to the lore.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 13, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not saying I want to realistically wire up a house, just that it's kind of unintuitive and weird.

You get a big pop-up explaining it, and "power = radius" is a pretty easy thing to get a handle on?

I dunno dude, of all the game's faults that's a really weird one to paint up.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

You get a big pop-up explaining it, and "power = radius" is a pretty easy thing to get a handle on?

I dunno dude, of all the game's faults that's a really weird one to paint up.

I never got this popup. The subtitles and popups seem to not show up for me half the time, or in the case of subtitles it's often the wrong one.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's great that power armour is actually a uniquely big deal instead of just a regular piece of equipment in your inventory with just some more DR. It'd be nice if there was a way to just bring it over to you instead of having to manually retrieve it every time, though. Having a vertibird swoop by and airdrop it right on your position would be pretty great, or maybe just some high-tech teleporting doodad. Hopefully there'll be some mods to take care of that soon-ish.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55673/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

can your settlers starve?

or can I set them to the job of picking food (thus satisfying the requirement for your base's happiness), then trap them in an impregnable sky fortress for all eternity by placing beds in free floating houses and then removing the stairs when they're asleep?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Settlers do not actually need to eat or drink or sleep in the poo poo you put down, Tetris beds to your heart's content.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Jesus, Vault 95 does not gently caress around, Assaultrons are crazy strong and I got vaporized instantly by their eye beams, this trip had better be worth it Cait!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Settlers do not actually need to eat or drink or sleep in the poo poo you put down, Tetris beds to your heart's content.

thank you

operation sky village is a go as soon as I get my power suit's jetpack. let's see some rear end in a top hat raiders invade that

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

how the hell are you guys playing on Survival and not getting domed by bloatflies?! im not a dumb baby but i feel like im dead before I know where the enemy even is. do you just run around in power armor?

I've only used my power armor once or twice after the early fight with it. The first couple hours were certainly difficult due to only having crappy guns and no armor but once you get some good stuff it's not nearly as bad.

I still run into random raiders 3-shotting me with pipe rifles at level 23 though :shrug:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

isndl posted:

Sometimes I'll have a CTD on game launch, but I was able to get past it by minimizing/closing background applications. No clue why that works. :shrug: I'm on Windows 8.1, though.

It turns out I'm a loving idiot and forgot to check if it needs DX11 in multiple hours troubleshooting despite it being bloody obvious, and that ignoring the GPU part of the recommended specs in favour of telling myself mentally "I will be fine! I only just got a new GPU" was stupid when I haven't bought a new graphics card since 2008.

The problem is me. The solution is :shepspends:

Windows 10 is pretty though!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

I've only used my power armor once or twice after the early fight with it. The first couple hours were certainly difficult due to only having crappy guns and no armor but once you get some good stuff it's not nearly as bad.

I still run into random raiders 3-shotting me with pipe rifles at level 23 though :shrug:

What about the glowing sea?

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

It's remarkable how thoroughly bethesda dropped the ball on the layered armor stuff. You would think having modular armor would be the perfect opportunity to make all visually distinct clothing work with said armor, but of the like 30 pieces of actual suit/casualwear clothing in the game, only 6-10 actually work with the armor in any capacity, let alone fully (atom cat outfit only lets you equip legs). Meanwhile the unlayerable clothing you do get has such exciting stats as +1-2 stat, or anywhere from 1 to 23 armor. Definitely a great deal compared to the 70 I currently have on my layerable pieces.

Also you can't modify any of the clothing that does work so the vault suit is still superior in every way with it's (up to) +20 energy and +25 rad resistance.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Do semi autos benefit from the rifleman perk?

Forget about the real life classifications of guns, there are just the 3 categories of weapons

If you hold down the button and it continues to fire it is an "auto"
If it has a stock it is a rifle
If it has no stock it is a pistol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Where do I find the Enclave power armor?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hipster Occultist posted:

Where do I find the Enclave power armor?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/X-01_power_armor

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

your dog just had a mini-DBZ fight with a mole rat

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Forget about the real life classifications of guns, there are just the 3 categories of weapons

If you hold down the button and it continues to fire it is an "auto"
If it has a stock it is a rifle
If it has no stock it is a pistol

If it is black and has a carrying handle then it is banned on NCR territory.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im glad this bug is consistent
http://gfycat.com/AdorableAjarGoat

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
If anyone's wondering how to unlock companion quests, just do things they approve of, for Cait as an example, drink booze, pick locks and be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everyone in conversation and she'll eventually open up and give you a quest.

Of course the time she chose to give me her personal quest was right in the middle of Super Mutant territory so her heartfelt conversation had Super Mutants yelling "DIE NOW HUMAN" and "STUPID LADY" in the distance.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I wonder if all companions even have a quest then, because I got Piper up to max affinity so that I now have her companion perk, but no quest from her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bholder posted:

Just because it's on your questlog doesn't mean you can't just ignore it.

Sure, but when you pick the option "no", the generally recognized response in the negative that means to any human being "I don't want to do that thing you just said I should do", the other person's response should not be "well ok but I'll tell you the details about it anyway and mark it down on your map for you and expect you to reconsider". Being an rear end in a top hat in this game is meaningless because Bethesda wants you to be able to do everything. Turning down quests is meaningless because Bethesda wants you to be able to do everything.

edit: The only thing that's not in the name of allowing the player to experience the entire game on one character regardless of how they play is the faction system. And you may think that wanting the player to be able to do it all is not necessarily a bad thing, and in most cases you would be right, but in a game like this what's the point of building/shaping your character's personality or playing how you want to play if it has no bearing on how the game reacts?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 13, 2015

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but when you pick the option "no", the generally recognized response in the negative that means to any human being "I don't want to do that thing you just said I should do", the other person's response should not be "well ok but I'll tell you the details about it anyway and mark it down on your map for you and expect you to reconsider".

I may not be experiencing the exact same situation, but isn't this what Maybe does? When I got the BoS invite, I just said Maybe and he was like "Ok I understand just come here and talk to me if you reconsider"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"gently caress, just took one in the knee!"

Nooooo, Bethesda, you were doing so well.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

ThePutty posted:

anybody else not like how railroaded the quests feel? you can say no, but the game won't register it at all and refuses to actually drop or let you progress in any quest until you say yes to it. can't i just let the minutemen die and be a giant rear end in a top hat?

The only one that really bugged me is in the fancy bar in Diamond City. Mister Cuckolded Guy asks you to come along to tell the bartender he's an rear end in a top hat for loving his wife. Then instead of doing that he whips out a gun. I blew his rear end away, and the bartender offered me a quest to rob some drug dealers. I'm doing a (mostly) good run, so I didn't want to. But there's literally no option to just say "No thanks", all you get is "Yes", "gently caress yes", and "ATTACK HIM" So I had to blow his rear end away too, and Piper didn't even care. Whatever.

Top moments for me:

Finding my old favorite weapon from Fallout3 The Railway Rifle

The showdown with Kellog. I'm partial to setups where the bad guy taunts you as you get closer, then finally just says "gently caress it, let's talk. Then we'll have our fight.". Piper loving suplexed the guy onto the floor as well, I dunno what kind of journalism school she learned that from.

If you see a big-rear end sailing ship sitting on some buildings, GO CHECK IT OUT. The entire USS Constitution thing is :magical:

I was suprised and pleased to find that a weapon rechambered in different ammo sounds different. I found a .50 hunting rifle laying around, that thing has a fantastic loud roar.

I've just decided to console myself a big pile of ammo for my favorite guns. Honestly in a game about shooting mans in the face I want to shoot them with my favorite weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
General tips for lazy:

Combat
# There is a cover-mechanic; push yourself against walls and use the aim key once the weapon is lowered.

# Armored enemies are easier to take out when shooting against their weak spots, which is usually the head. Shoot off the helmets if the enemy is fully armored.

Base Building
# E and TAB can be used instead of RETURN and ESC in most cases. The scroll wheel can be used to move objects you want to put down closer/further away from you (but only when you've got them centered in your view because Bethesda).

# Traders sell work orders which turn into Resources once you put them in your workbench. Ghouls like to drop adhesives.

# NPCs drop their poo poo (like purified water) in the workbench as well. Check for it under the non-junk tabs.

# After hitting the transfer button in the workshop screen, you can apparently (haven't checked myself) scrap your items from there instead of throwing them on the ground.

Other poo poo
# You can save in the middle of a conversation.

# Craft all of them molerats and radioactive bugs into health if you're low on stimpaks.

• Locked thread