Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey now, children were murdered in the King Piccolo saga too- Krillin and Chiaotzu. What Z added was the murder of completely defenseless children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

i too can't wait for the aids population to reach 100%.

I'll meet you on the battlefield, friendo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember how one of the main villains of this show that's definitely not grimdark at all used the Genocide Blast to annihilate humanity because one of the main heroes told him to go murder some humans to kill time and blow off steam?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Hey now, children were murdered in the King Piccolo saga too- Krillin and Chiaotzu. What Z added was the murder of completely defenseless children.

Is Chaotzu a kid? Is he even human? I'm a huge DB nerd for all of my life but I never got him.

Most people forget he even exists it seems given that Yamcha is always rated the weakest Z fighter when Chaotzu is standing - er, floating - right over there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Quick! Someone call Buu a bubblegum genie or something!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Chaotzu a kid? Is he even human? I'm a huge DB nerd for all of my life but I never got him.

Most people forget he even exists it seems given that Yamcha is always rated the weakest Z fighter when Chaotzu is standing - er, floating - right over there.

He's short and can't count. He's a kid in my eyes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

Chaotzu's supposed to be human but he's a weirdo. I think he just falls out of the running after dying to Nappa, or perhaps his creepy psychic boyfriend powers mean he has utility Yamcha can't match.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Why isn't Android 15 on the poll, he needs to be there ASAP.

"Vegitaah!"
"Trunks Awww Yeah!"
"Aha Goku!"

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
You know who would've been awesome with the kaioken? Tenshinhan.

He was already used to handling the self-destructive techniques of the Crane School, so he should've been able to handle the pressure of kaioken.

Piccolo never really needed it and Yamcha wasn't strong enough and couldn't have handled it. But Tien might have really hosed cell up with an kkx3 tribeam

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

KKx3 Tribeaming Cell would've defeated the purpose of what he was doing, and there's no way in hell it would've actually hurt Cell. He was stalling for time and the constant Tribeam usage was already killing him as it stands, he would've just died and Cell would've gotten away faster.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

visceril posted:

You know who would've been awesome with the kaioken? Tenshinhan.

He was already used to handling the self-destructive techniques of the Crane School, so he should've been able to handle the pressure of kaioken.

Piccolo never really needed it and Yamcha wasn't strong enough and couldn't have handled it. But Tien might have really hosed cell up with an kkx3 tribeam

Xenoverse basically proves this point by making Kaioken + Neo Tri-Beam an amazing combo. Neo Tri-Beam consumes stamina to keep firing, Kaioken x20 gives you unlimited Stamina as long as it is up.

And yet, it gives the Kaioken to Krillin and Yamcha, but not Tenshinhan.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

1. More people in America are familiar with Z.
2. Even still, King Piccolo could be pretty dark. But Z took it one step further with children being murdered in the Freeza Saga and then the Cell Saga being the darkest arc in DB history. That's what, 500 episodes of pretty serious poo poo? Also Cell Saga tends to be a lot of people's favorite. It's my favorite from Part 2, to be sure.

I'd say Freeza or Saiyan are "darker" than Cell.

I'm basing this on the amount of times defenseless people were getting the crap kicked out of them and how many times the MAIN kid character (Gohan) got beat up.

Nobody cares much about Yamcha or random NPCs getting killed, but the most brutal beatdowns are in Saiyan and Freeza.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Most brutal beat down is actually in the Buu saga

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Blaze Dragon posted:

Xenoverse basically proves this point by making Kaioken + Neo Tri-Beam an amazing combo. Neo Tri-Beam consumes stamina to keep firing, Kaioken x20 gives you unlimited Stamina as long as it is up.

Holy moly why didn't I think of this

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't believe this doesn't go without saying. The true tone of the Dragonball franchise is about happy-go-lucky peaceful periods in between times of crazy world threatening action. Every single arc is a spectrum that starts out campy and then poo poo gets real and suddenly everyone on the earth has been murdered and an unstoppable killing machine is going town to town raiding the empty bakeries. Then everything gets better and Goku catches a fish.

It's a great show everybody.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

visceril posted:

Most brutal beat down is actually in the Buu saga

Yeah I'm trying to think of anything that surpasses Videl/Spopovich. Gohan getting his little kindergarten neck broken by Recoome(?) is up there too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

I'd say Freeza or Saiyan are "darker" than Cell.

I'm basing this on the amount of times defenseless people were getting the crap kicked out of them and how many times the MAIN kid character (Gohan) got beat up.

Nobody cares much about Yamcha or random NPCs getting killed, but the most brutal beatdowns are in Saiyan and Freeza.

The Cell Saga has its "dark" rep because of how it starts, namely with the revelation of how every single hero character got murdered and humanity is all but wiped out. Except for Oolong, Puar and Master Roshi who live in a submarine but ya know, forget that.

Oh and Goku's heart virus was pretty intense I thought back in the day. Remember episodes that cut to him screaming in pain while his wife looks on helplessly. . I know some people think that was bullshit plot device but I liked it. It had a beautiful irony to it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah I'm trying to think of anything that surpasses Videl/Spopovich. Gohan getting his little kindergarten neck broken by Recoome(?) is up there too.

Frieza torturing Vegeta is pretty harsh.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
To me the two things that made Cell saga darker (or maybe usettling is the better phrase) were imperfect cell going around drinking people and the way android 19 and 20 killed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I can see why people think DBZ is darker than it really is. For a lot of kids it was the most violent thing they had seen on tv and that was awesome, and continued to watch it because of that. So when people see Super being goofy it clashes with the rose-tinted image they had in their minds.

Also, anime fans have terrible taste.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cell stops being anything resembling scary when he talks and he sounds like he's been smoking 30 packs and in Japanese when Wakamoto's voice comes out of his mouth. His actions also stop being monstrous when he finds 17 because at that point he's single-minded. Then he gains a sense of humor and sportsmanship and you cannot consider him scary at all anymore.

The Android 19 and 20 stuff would be p dark if Yamcha's severe wasn't fixed by the magical bean and both of them weren't huge dorks. The Trunks past stuff is genuinely tragic and dark tho.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

Cell stops being anything resembling scary when he talks and he sounds like he's been smoking 30 packs and in Japanese when Wakamoto's voice comes out of his mouth. His actions also stop being monstrous when he finds 17 because at that point he's single-minded. Then he gains a sense of humor and sportsmanship and you cannot consider him scary at all anymore.

The Android 19 and 20 stuff would be p dark if Yamcha's severe wasn't fixed by the magical bean and both of them weren't huge dorks. The Trunks past stuff is genuinely tragic and dark tho.

big authentic anime lad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Suck my dick, batman

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've decided that that is now what baal stands for, and it was not a comment on your post which I agree with unironically

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

big authentic anime lad

more like bad rear end in a top hat anime loser

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

more like bad rear end in a top hat anime loser

Baal posted:

Suck my dick, batman

Hmmmmmmm.......

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think Beerus' relative lack of sadistic menace + Goku and Vegeta not really taking Freeza seriously have a lot of people not remembering that large parts of Dragonball involved some seriously awful people.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's weird is i'm upset about berrus being more menacing and sadistic than he was in the movie.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 15, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elfgames posted:

What's weird is i'm upset about berrus being more meniceing and sadistic than he was in the movie.

I think it's a valid complaint. It's a weird change that didn't need to happen (like most of the Super version of Battle of Gods) and felt like the staff was missing the point of why Beerus was popular.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He's to where he was in the movie now, though. I think they were just trying to make him an actual villain to benefit things being stretched out so many episodes, as opposed to a 1 and a half hour movie where you had no problem with a guy who obviously wasn't going to blow up the planet play fighting Goku.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Elfgames posted:

What's weird is i'm upset about berrus being more meniceing and sadistic than he was in the movie.

everybody makes mistakes and im definitely not making fun of you, but I read this typo out aloud and burst out laughing :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darko posted:

He's to where he was in the movie now, though. I think they were just trying to make him an actual villain to benefit things being stretched out so many episodes, as opposed to a 1 and a half hour movie where you had no problem with a guy who obviously wasn't going to blow up the planet play fighting Goku.

I don't think they did a very good job of it. Now the whole thing just looks like his characterization shifts for no real reason.

Then again I also think the whole battle of gods retelling was bad and unnecessary.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think they did a very good job of it. Now the whole thing just looks like his characterization shifts for no real reason.

Then again I also think the whole battle of gods retelling was bad and unnecessary.

His characterization shifted to yet another bad guy Goku made friends with by punching him in the face enough like all of his other friends :)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Elfgames posted:

it's almost as if toei doesn't actually understand dragon ball

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Toei doesn't understand Dragon Ball, Toriyama doesn't understand Dragon Ball Z, only I can fix it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

projecthalaxy posted:

Toei doesn't understand Dragon Ball, Toriyama doesn't understand Dragon Ball Z, only I can fix it.

and thus there was absalon

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Super Saiyan Frezia and Super Cyan Goku are in the new Super opening. Oh, and it looks like we're (finally) getting a Jaco episode.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Lol Ginyu's still around!

Silver95280 posted:

Oh, and it looks like we're (finally) getting a Jaco episode.
With Goten and Trunks. That already gives it points over RoF.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 15, 2015

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
If we somehow get to see Ginyu back, this whole Frieza arc will have been worth it. Otherwise I just want it to be over so we can get to new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

grandpa picollo already made rof retread worth it

• Locked thread