Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Don't worry about it. Turns out the 4 -> 8 pin hack works. :haw:

It's not a hack; an EPS12V connector is designed to accept an ATX12V power supply. Just plug in half of it. That's why they have the long retaining tab on them instead of a narrow one.

Cakefool posted:

Just walked into work and half the fancy new LED street lights in the car park are unlit. The other half have generators at the base with cables lashed in. I think someone made am expensive backhoe mistake.

Question about PC hardware. I have nowhere suitable for a desktop pc, is there such a thing as using a light laptop as a remote terminal for a PC, so I could put a PC capable of running real games like FO4 somewhere doing the hard work and just use the screen and keyboard of my laptop?

Or is this a stupid question?

Steam's got a thing built in that does this, but I don't know how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I might be doing something incredibly stupid within the next 48 hours and possibly buying something that will either leave me hosed, or leave me hosed, divorced, and homeless.

Those that know, shut the gently caress up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rolls Royce?

It's not the side of the PC, it's just there's nowhere suitable for a desk and monitor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrChips posted:

You can build a pretty powerful PC with a footprint not much larger than your average gaming console these days with the huge selection of microATX boards nowadays and the even smaller mini ITX stuff as well.

I used this case with this motherboard with this CPU with this RAM with this video card (but all from Newegg on certain discounts at the time) and built a pretty awesome PC. The RAM and video card were older ones when I first built it and I upgraded it later, which is why they are kind of a different "sales generation" than the mobo and CPU, but still work awesome. I'm playing Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 at pretty max settings (certain settings in each game are lowered to keep a butter smooth framerate, each game has an "Achilles heel" or two).

I'm sure you could build something equivalent for less money depending on bundles and other sales today, but at the time the mobo was essentially free with that CPU.

And yes, with Steam you can totally use a laptop as a remote terminal for gaming, and there are other programs for desktop use.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was never one to feel the need to run max settings anyway but then I'm one of those people that will sacrifice detail for max fps every single time. I also think some games just look better with less detail onscreen at all times but then I'd be happy with Virtua Racing level flat shaded polygons on games so I think I'm in a minority here.

I also find it loving hilarious that the xbox one struggles to play a lot of games at 1080p with anything less than a 60fps framerate. That should be a bare loving minimum in this day and age.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, FPS > Visual quality, any day. If it screen tears or jitters, it ruins it for me. So, I build reasonable rigs every 5 years or so, and just lower settings on newer games to suit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cakefool posted:

Question about PC hardware. I have nowhere suitable for a desktop pc, is there such a thing as using a light laptop as a remote terminal for a PC, so I could put a PC capable of running real games like FO4 somewhere doing the hard work and just use the screen and keyboard of my laptop?

Current Alienware 13/15/17 can use something called an "Alienware Amplifier" that is an external, plug-in box that houses a full-on desktop video card. You can plug that in and get desktop graphics and use the screen/keyboard of the laptop for gaming, then unplug and you have a regular laptop. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, the current Alienware 17 R3 is baller with Skylake stuff and a 4k screen. :D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Alienware.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A long time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

And yes, with Steam you can totally use a laptop as a remote terminal for gaming, and there are other programs for desktop use.

That sounds like what I was thinking about

meatpimp posted:

Current Alienware 13/15/17 can use something called an "Alienware Amplifier" that is an external, plug-in box that houses a full-on desktop video card. You can plug that in and get desktop graphics and use the screen/keyboard of the laptop for gaming, then unplug and you have a regular laptop. Is that what you're talking about?

Not even remotely, as it'd require me to buy an alienware laptop.

Maybe I should build the PC, shove it under the sofa and mount a keyboard to a light monitor as a homemade tethered thin client :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I might be doing something incredibly stupid within the next 48 hours and possibly buying something that will either leave me hosed, or leave me hosed, divorced, and homeless.

I've seen the glory and the fear.

Geirskogul posted:

Alienware.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A long time.

Alienware has been dead to me since I got into Mobile Workstation class laptops.

Because 4 RAM slots on a Laptop? 3 Hard disks? Gimme more of that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
poo poo. And here I thought the better half's giant crappy HP with two 2.5" HDs were special.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

poo poo. And here I thought the better half's giant crappy HP with two 2.5" HDs were special.

Well, to be fair, one of them is an mSATA SSD.

The M6800 can do 3 2.5" disks, but you have to ditch the DVD. Not a big deal since I barely use optical media anymore. The big selling point was the MXM III B slot

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 13, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Jesus, it's a monster, but I can see its justification. Hell, I wouldn't mind having one at work. I very rarely travel with my laptop, it mainly moves from desk to meeting room.

Also, for those of you bored at work who don't read BFC, here's the guy who rented 37 rental cars in a single weekend: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1708084-37-rental-cars-2-days-185-000-miles.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Jesus, it's a monster, but I can see its justification. Hell, I wouldn't mind having one at work. I very rarely travel with my laptop, it mainly moves from desk to meeting room.

My requirements were:

Needs to be able to have at least 23 GB of RAM (M6800, M6600, M4600 all support 32GB)
Needs to be semi-upgradeable or field serviceable (All of the above, upgradeable CPU/GPU, user serviceable)
Needs to be semi mobile
Needs to have high storage capacity, RAID possibly (All of the above, I'm running a RAID 1 with 2 x 2TB WDs and a 256GB SSD mSATA)
Gaming a must. Needs a card that supports CAD and OpenCompute or OpenCL (AMD FirePro M6100/M5100, so good to go.)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 13, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I prefer smaller laptops (13"-15" rMBP's are literally perfect) and a beefy desktop

I went to Best Buy last night and their gaming laptops were like 15lbs and 20" wide

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

I prefer smaller laptops (13"-15" rMBP's are literally perfect) and a beefy desktop

I went to Best Buy last night and their gaming laptops were like 15lbs and 20" wide

The M4600/M4800 is 15", so is the M3800.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m3800-workstation/pd

The M3800 only supports a single SSD and has a 4k touchscreen.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 13, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The M4600 is 15", so is the M3800.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m3800-workstation/pd

The M3800 only supports a single SSD and has a 4k touchscreen.

That's a lot smaller than I expected

My wife's computer is a touch screen ASUS MacBook knock off and whenever I point at something in the screen I click it instead and it drives me nuts

She's getting the iPad Pro tomorrow though so at least it'll make sense

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

That's a lot smaller than I expected

My wife's computer is a touch screen ASUS MacBook knock off and whenever I point at something in the screen I click it instead and it drives me nuts

She's getting the iPad Pro tomorrow though so at least it'll make sense

The only thing I absolutely loathe about the M3800 is the touchpad. Its a godawful POS.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Well, to be fair, one of them is an mSATA SSD.

The M6800 can do 3 2.5" disks, but you have to ditch the DVD. Not a big deal since I barely use optical media anymore. The big selling point was the MXM III B slot

My 3 year old alienware had 4 ram slots with 32gb, two full sized bed and an msata slot. The new one has two ram
slots and is limited to 16gb until 16gb sticks of ddr4 are available at a sane price. No optical drive anymore, but its smaller with one bed space and two MM.2 slots. M.2 drives are crazy small.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

My 3 year old alienware had 4 ram slots with 32gb, two full sized bed and an msata slot. The new one has two ram
slots and is limited to 16gb until 16gb sticks of ddr4 are available at a sane price. No optical drive anymore, but its smaller with one bed space and two MM.2 slots. M.2 drives are crazy small.

The build quality is what steers me away from the Alienware. I've been disappointed thusfar with the build quality.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cursedshitbox posted:

Where is it that you are purchasing your mistress from?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

The build quality is what steers me away from the Alienware. I've been disappointed thusfar with the build quality.

I've been through eight XPS/Alienware systems since 2008. Some of them have been fantastic turds. The one I got in 2012, m17x r4, was excellent. It lasted 3 years with continuous use. Prior to that, I hadn't had one last much more than a year. Hopefully that speaks better of the build quality.

I think current Alienware, at least the larger ones, are just rebadged Clevos with different plastic. I don't know if that's good or bad, though.

Either way, 6th gen i7/ddr4/4k with tons of fast ssd is a great for browsing the forums.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cursedshitbox posted:

One thousand some-odd liter screaming crotch rocket of death incoming.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I think current Alienware, at least the larger ones, are just rebadged Clevos with different plastic. I don't know if that's good or bad, though.

A long time ago, they were rebadged Clevo/Sager machines.

Now they are all Dells.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A mini ITX box seems to be your best bet. You can get a pretty smoking system for $1200ish. The Steam box/streaming stuff definitely works, but I think that it's locked at 30fps.

Just build a mini ITX box. It's the best compromise in your situation.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
fuckin owned my test last night and it's got me in a great mood that I'll keep up my 4.0

fuckin owning my projects at work and making a name for myself

going out to Wonderland with Terrible Robot tonight to cap off an amazing week.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can't wait to build a new box and get three 27" screens mounted on the wall :fap:

Granted it's going to be a while, but still

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

I've been through eight XPS/Alienware systems since 2008. Some of them have been fantastic turds. The one I got in 2012, m17x r4, was excellent. It lasted 3 years with continuous use. Prior to that, I hadn't had one last much more than a year. Hopefully that speaks better of the build quality.

Either way, 6th gen i7/ddr4/4k with tons of fast ssd is a great for browsing the forums.

The last laptop I bought was a Dellienware (which I sold in 2013), my current desktop is a Dellienware I've had since 2008. Literally the only problem I've had is that the standalone card that handles the fan/pump speeds in my liquid cooled half-tower shat itself; Dell sent a tech with a replacement within a couple days. My cat knocked over a soda that killed my video card, Dell replaced it under the Accidental Damage warranty thing I had. A video card which, I should add, was completely unavailable to consumers at that point anywhere but EBay, where they were selling for over a grand. I'm not gonna say they're the absolute best; it's still intelligent to build your own, but I've got no beef with Dell's Alienware line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tide posted:

Some time ago, I bought a Lenovo laptop. Came with w8.1. Hated it. Installed w7. Made the mistake of going to w10. In the process of reinstalling w7 and after the sp1 download/install it's hanging at checking for updates. Have quit, restarted twice and it still won't get past "checking for updates".

Damnit.

Patience grasshopper. If you haven't installed windows 7 lately, and it sounds like you haven't, let me lay the lovely news on you: even an SP1-slipstreamed install takes 3+ hours on "checking for updates" the first time around unless you're talking about something with 4+ GB RAM and a fast proc. I'm loading up a Vista-era Dell with 2 GB RAM for a neighbor right now and that part took about 6 hours.

There are just so many drat updates for windows 7 at this point (it was time for SP2 a long time ago, but that's not ever gonna happen now) that windows update, which is already slow and clunky, is drat near useless.

Go download the "it professional" or whatever they call it version of SP1 and install it, then start windows update checking for updates overnight.

It's probably gonna take a couple of days to get everything patched up to date, especially if you put office on it and have WU check for office updates.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm actually going through a minor upgrade myself (why yes i bought fallout why do you ask)

My current rig, which I acquired from the friend-of-family video business when they replaced their stuff:

EVGA X58 mobo
i7-920 processor
12GB ram (6x2GB, it's hilarious when there's 16GB sticks out there now)
Radeon HD 5750 (from my old computer, it came with dual NVIDIA something-or-others in SLI, which were worse than the AMD performance-wise and would heat my room up a full 10 degrees over a few hours)
Corsair TX850W power supply

Fallout 4 stutters and tears at like 20fps on minimum settings, I'm thinking a new GPU is the best single thing I can upgrade. Thoughts?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Ahhh, another physical fitness test down. Four more till I'm free.

Doing it hungover was probably not the smartest choice.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Rolls Royce?

It's not the side of the PC, it's just there's nowhere suitable for a desk and monitor.

If youre gonna stick it in the living room why not just run it straight into your TV?

Has anybody got the steam server thing working? I'd like to move the display from my main desktop to my laptop so that I can output it onto my projector in my living room - but I have never managed to make it connect properly and display an actual game.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Ahhh, another physical fitness test down. Four more till I'm free.

Doing it hungover was probably not the smartest choice.

Lol they give you tests? Like what do you have to do?

When i was in we never got tested once we were out of basic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Lol they give you tests? Like what do you have to do?

When i was in we never got tested once we were out of basic.

Force Downsizing: Everyone has to PT test yearly.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Motronic posted:

Patience grasshopper. If you haven't installed windows 7 lately, and it sounds like you haven't, let me lay the lovely news on you: even an SP1-slipstreamed install takes 3+ hours on "checking for updates" the first time around unless you're talking about something with 4+ GB RAM and a fast proc. I'm loading up a Vista-era Dell with 2 GB RAM for a neighbor right now and that part took about 6 hours.

There are just so many drat updates for windows 7 at this point (it was time for SP2 a long time ago, but that's not ever gonna happen now) that windows update, which is already slow and clunky, is drat near useless.

Go download the "it professional" or whatever they call it version of SP1 and install it, then start windows update checking for updates overnight.

It's probably gonna take a couple of days to get everything patched up to date, especially if you put office on it and have WU check for office updates.

Well Motronic beat me to it. I also just did an install with a slipstreamed sp1, took forever to "check for updates", and then installed 206 updates over like 5 hours (it's an old 3ghz c2d). It has installed almost another hundred updates since.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tomarse posted:

If youre gonna stick it in the living room why not just run it straight into your TV?

Has anybody got the steam server thing working? I'd like to move the display from my main desktop to my laptop so that I can output it onto my projector in my living room - but I have never managed to make it connect properly and display an actual game.

I've streamed Nidhogg from upstairs with no issues.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't like using TV's for monitors because it always cuts off the edges and makes me very cross

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Yes, I have it streaming from my desktop upstairs to my media PC for my projector.

You're using a wired network, yes?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, we get it. You're bad at computers and can't find the overscan button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Yeah, we get it. You're bad at computers and can't find the overscan button.

Wait you can do that?

• Locked thread