Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
hit the target button and you can see their health bars. i dunno why it doesn't just do that all the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with Yokai Watch. I downloaded the demo after hearing people freak out about it the past couple years and I don't think I "get" it. Maybe I'm too old or something. I really don't like not being able to see enemy healthbars so I was left wondering if I should use my specials or just let them auto attack the lone enemy to death and stuff.

You are over-thinking it. The game basically plays itself as far as battles are concerned. The only time you need to actually pay attention is during boss battles, which are actually really fun (and have health bars shown constantly if I remember correctly). For normal battles all you have to think about is 1. have I caught this yokai already 2. if not do I know what its favorite food is so I can throw that and try and catch it.

Yokai Watch is definitely more about enjoying the atmosphere and simple fun anime plot than anything else.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EDTPvzAKKE

poo poo's pretty crazy to me. You travel with all 7 party members outside of combat, then seamlessly switch into combat.

YO YO YO they'r eplaying the Valkyrie Profile battle theme during one of these fights fuuuuuck

gently caress dawg I love Valkyrie Profle.

This game looks like it's going for a Xenoblade-esque scale, but I wonder if it's just going to feel too huge and empty instead. I'm...more interested than I was though. Star Ocean 4 was really quite grotesque and I probably lasted a lot longer before souring on it than a lot of people.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

YO YO YO they'r eplaying the Valkyrie Profile battle theme during one of these fights fuuuuuck

gently caress dawg I love Valkyrie Profle.

This game looks like it's going for a Xenoblade-esque scale, but I wonder if it's just going to feel too huge and empty instead. I'm...more interested than I was though. Star Ocean 4 was really quite grotesque and I probably lasted a lot longer before souring on it than a lot of people.

If it means anything to you, I heard that the devs have stated that they know SO4 was bad.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
star ocean will be saved by the humility of the devs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

poo poo's pretty crazy to me. You travel with all 7 party members outside of combat, then seamlessly switch into combat.

It looks cool out in the open plains, but its pretty crowded in cities. Can't help but think they should've just had your party members gently caress off to do their own thing while you're wandering around city streets.

hubris.height posted:

star ocean will be saved by the humility of the devs

I don't think there's much humility involved in the design of an outfit that's black diamond checkerboarded with bare skin :v:.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think there's much humility involved in the design of an outfit that's black diamond checkerboarded with bare skin :v:.

that outfit is the best outfit in the entire series. please do not bully the breast witch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope SO5 ends up good but the outside bits were a heck of a lot of open space with not much going on in it, unless I missed anything exciting while I was skimming the vid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope SO5 ends up good but the outside bits were a heck of a lot of open space with not much going on in it, unless I missed anything exciting while I was skimming the vid.

At least they've acknowledged that SO4 was awful and they're actively trying not to repeat the same mistakes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the trouble is SO1 and 3 were also awful and then they actively made 2 worse for the PSP version so, uh.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i never really cared much about SO which is having the odd side effect of making me more optimistic about SO5 than most people because it seems like it'll be a decent ARPG

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really hope it'll be good

They should actually set one of these games in space though

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

If it means anything to you, I heard that the devs have stated that they know SO4 was bad.

But do they know WHY it was bad?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the trouble is SO1 and 3 were also awful and then they actively made 2 worse for the PSP version so, uh.

How so? I replayed it on psp a couple years ago and it was just fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dubious posted:

How so? I replayed it on psp a couple years ago and it was just fine.

Really strange balance decisions, somehow having even worse voice acting than the original's battle quips, removing the goofy way your crafting materials morphed into the product. Probably some other stuff but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I bought Risen during the GoG sale and messed around with it a bit. Having fun so far, at least anytime I'm not fighting a human(oid). When that happens it turns into a frustrating mess of them blocking everything I try to do, or me completely whiffing my attack when I dodge through theirs and try to counterattack-- after which they block everything I try to do because I'm outside the small window of opportunity. Is there something I'm missing with that, or is that... just a thing that happens?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I really hope it'll be good

They should actually set one of these games in space though

They did that with SO4.

We've already gone over how apparently they won't be doing that ever again so I hope you enjoy exploring the star ocean of a cliche medieval fantasy world.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

I just hope that the postgame dungeon(s) / content is insane. I want to break the game wide open and do some crazy poo poo with 7 party members.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If they can get better voice acting direction in 5 and make the combat fun, I don't care if it's not set in space.

Also an encounter system that isn't balanced around cheesing encounters in the most unfun ways would be appreciated.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

NikkolasKing posted:

They did that with SO4.

We've already gone over how apparently they won't be doing that ever again so I hope you enjoy exploring the star ocean of a cliche medieval fantasy world.
In fairness, half of SO4 was still set on a cliche medieval fantasy world. It might've had slightly more actual sci-fi than 2 and 3 but barely.

And for all we know you do go to space in SO5 and they're just not showing it. Right? Right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at. Younger me had a lot of patience for SO3 but I would never go back to that at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Technically planets are in space.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

All I want is another archer character that can fill the battlefield with an unholy mess of projectile spam. I had Maria, I had Reimi. Don't let me down.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't wait to see Welch in the new graphics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Really strange balance decisions, somehow having even worse voice acting than the original's battle quips, removing the goofy way your crafting materials morphed into the product. Probably some other stuff but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Also worse character artwork. Especially Rena was hit hard: If you compare old versus new, you see the awkward, scrawny teenager you could actually believe using martial arts in battle transformed into standard anime babyface. It was grotesque.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

oh yeah, forgot they made her look half her age.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Stelas posted:

All I want is another archer character that can fill the battlefield with an unholy mess of projectile spam. I had Maria, I had Reimi. Don't let me down.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Her giant laser thing was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prj-TEyltvE

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Falcom posted a financial report with some news.

quote:

-The latest title for the Falcom masterpiece Ys series will be released in 2016. The series had its 28th anniversary in the year 2015 and a variety of titles have been released for multiple platforms, and have been released in multiple languages throughout North America, Europe, and Asia territories.
-The company will continue with sales promotions for Tokyo Xanadu and the Kiseki series.
-As popularization is anticipated from hereon out, there are now plans to launch titles for the Playstation 4.
-As titles are starting to gain recognition both domestically [note: this means in Japan, perspective of document], and internationally, the company will take on a proactive role in Falcom developed contents. There are plans for sequential expansion for English-language and Asian versions of products.
Interested by that last bit but I'm glad they're finally taking the plunge on PS4.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Libluini posted:

Also worse character artwork. Especially Rena was hit hard: If you compare old versus new, you see the awkward, scrawny teenager you could actually believe using martial arts in battle transformed into standard anime babyface. It was grotesque.

I looked this up out of curiosity, and wow

You can see the character being sucked out. Also her separate pant legs got replaced by Standard Stockings.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Should I assume NoE is the one handling this? Like, I can't imagine they'd do two versions of the script like they usually do, DQ is way too massive for that right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I though all modern DQ translations had the fake British thing going on anyway?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I though all modern DQ translations had the fake British thing going on anyway?

Correct.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah but NoA seems to dump anything niche at NoE to be translated because they're cheap bastards/stingy otherwise.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 13, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Yeah but NoA seems to dump anything niche at NoE to be translated because they're cheap bastards/stingy otherwise.

... What? If anything the opposite is true. There are cases where games have had different translations in the US and in Europe despite that making no sense.

Is this another "They didn't instantly jump on localizing Xenoblade" thing?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 13, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That was mostly after Mario Party "spastic" incident. And they mostly do those on mainline entries, like Zeldas, Marios and FEs.
But for example, Xenoblade and FF5 got dumped on Europe. After the Chris Pranger incident it's pretty obvious NoA don't really have interest on taking any risks working on those games and are more than happy to let NoE pay for everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

That was mostly after Mario Party "spastic" incident. And they mostly do those on mainline entries, like Zeldas, Marios and FEs.
But for example, Xenoblade and FF5 got dumped on Europe. After the Chris Pranger incident it's pretty obvious NoA don't really have interest on taking any risks working on those games and are more than happy to let NoE pay for everything.

What in the world are you talking about? :psyduck:

Your conspiracy theory is that... what? Nintendo of America are cackling hedonistic madmen who never do anything but leech off poor innocent NoE and obviously never translate anything themselves (except all the times they do which don't count because ???)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

Not quite. Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower weren't dumped on NoE from on high, they said "gently caress you, Dad" to NoA and did it by choice. Virtue's Last Reward too, technically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower weren't dumped on NoE from on high, they said "gently caress you, Dad" to NoA and did it by choice. Virtue's Last Reward too, technically.

NoA didn't even publish Last Story and Pandora's Tower in the US. They were published by XSEED.

The honest truth is that choosing not to localize a niche or obscure game is not inherently laziness or cheapness. A lot of games are pretty difficult to turn a profit on and, especially at the time Xenoblade was originally released, JRPGs as a whole were not doing well. They've seen a resurgence (partially due to a rise in digital distribution) but for a long time it was very risky to try to translate them. Xenoblade was a case where it paid off but even where Xenoblade paid off it paid off due to a genuinely low distribution cost and building of a name brand.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What in the world are you talking about? :psyduck:

Your conspiracy theory is that... what? Nintendo of America are cackling hedonistic madmen who never do anything but leech off poor innocent NoE and obviously never translate anything themselves (except all the times they do which don't count because ???)
Where did I say they never translate anything? I specifically mention the context of niche products like Xenoblade and FF5.
What I'm saying is that NoE are far more willing to take a risk, properly handle that risk, and have that risk pay off than NoA, and that reflects badly on them. NoE are smart at grabbing opportunities. I mention Chris Pranger because he probably wasn't unique in his negativity, even if he was a loudmouthed idiot that got himself fired, and it's probably reflective of the mindset over there.
Maybe I'm unfair, since they did take risks with Bravely Default.
The "other times don't count because" there's inherently less risk in doing Mario, Zelda or sequels to established franchises. Probably the big exception to this is FE:A, which was selling less and less with each entry, but that one had western release in mind from development (though they still had to cooperate with 8-4).
Honestly I'm not even sure why I'm complaining since I don't even like NoA's internal meme filled translations.