Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/12/politics/donald-trump-ben-carson-iowa-belt-stupid/

Watch the whole video. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

donald trump has clearly never been to a rodeo or cock fight or pro wrestling match. his belt buckle challenge isn't going to resonate with his base

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fix posted:

itshappening.gif

Finally. Now we just gotta see the size of the crater this shithead makes.

Nooooo! This is terrible news. I want his dumbass to stay in the race as long as possible. He can't flame out so soon. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ReidRansom posted:

donald trump has clearly never been to a rodeo or cock fight or pro wrestling match. his belt buckle challenge isn't going to resonate with his base

Trump knows wrestling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ReidRansom posted:

Trump ate a Stunner at Wrestlemania.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Please tell me you're completely unaware of Trump's WWE exploits.

The internet has so much to show you :allears:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Trump knows wrestling

I'd forgotten about that. He should understand then that maybe Carson tried to stab a heavyweight champion or something.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Trump should pick Vince McMahon for his VP!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I don't buy it, but it would be beautiful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Donald "Why doesn't he show his birth certificate" Trump should pick Vince McMahon for his VP!

No don't, I may vote for that hoping it's a REALLY slow burn wrestling angle.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I didn't watch it but the Trump speech but it sounds like it was bunch of unbridled lunacy and venom. Of course it confuses me why anyone think that's actually going to hurt him at this point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Trump should pick Vince McMahon for his VP!
I don't think Vince would enjoy being pulled out of the WWE fiefdom he has.

But Linda McMahon, on the other hand, recently lost an election...

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Yo i don't think we got enough links trying to show us just who the real racists are (hint: it's not who you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

keep 'em coming i say

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Axetrain posted:

I didn't watch it but the Trump speech but it sounds like it was bunch of unbridled lunacy and venom. Of course it confuses me why anyone think that's actually going to hurt him at this point.

I dunno, when he is saying it and clearly up there having fun and happy it plays differently than when he is up there flailing.

Basically he needs to hang in there at least until Iowa exposes Carson's machine as a gift rather than a campaign

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Fried Chicken posted:

I dunno, when he is saying it and clearly up there having fun and happy it plays differently than when he is up there flailing.

Basically he needs to hang in there at least until Iowa exposes Carson's machine as a gift rather than a campaign
I think it's wonderful how Trump just hasn't worked well against anyone (so far) who isn't Jeb!. He tried Fiorina, he got stumped on sexism, repeatedly. Rubio just thanked him for the water. And now Carson is outcrazying him, so Trump is in the almost Kasich/Jeb/RNC-establishment position of telling everyone how stupid they are for believing exaggerations and lies.

You're right, if he just let go and let the media do their job on Carson (to the extent to which the media, being LIEBERAL LIES, can do so), he'd win. But he can't, can he? It's just not his personality. And to think of it, Carson himself was unravelling just a couple of days ago, in that media conference.

It's fantastic.

e: about the only non-fantastic thing is that I'd much rather prefer it were Rand, Rubio and Cruz mutually calling out each other, and all of these assholes are currently escaping scrutiny because of the "outsiders".

meristem fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 13, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

meristem posted:

I think it's wonderful how Trump just hasn't worked well against anyone (so far) who isn't Jeb!. He tried Fiorina, he got stumped on sexism, repeatedly. Rubio just thanked him for the water. And now Carson is outcrazying him, so Trump is in the almost Kasich/Jeb/RNC-establishment position of telling everyone how stupid they are for believing exaggerations and lies.

You're right, if he just let go and let the media do their job on Carson (to the extent to which the media, being LIEBERAL LIES, can do so), he'd win. But he can't, can he? It's just not his personality. And to think of it, Carson himself was unravelling just a couple of days ago, in that media conference.

It's fantastic.

e: about the only non-fantastic thing is that I'd much rather prefer it were Rand, Rubio and Cruz mutually calling out each other, and all of these assholes are currently escaping scrutiny because of the "outsiders".

Uh, what? Trump has consistently cut the legs out from under pretty much everyone he wants. I hardly saw anything about Trump being sexist with Fiorina. Instead it was all about how she completely hosed HP and how Trump was kinda right on the money with that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

So I walked in a few minutes late to a Pub Quiz in Czech Republic last night and the question on the screen was (roughly) "Ben Carson is running for President of the United states. In addition to many other crazy things, he believes the Pyramids were built for what purpose? (Does not involve aliens)". I strolled right up to my group, grabbed the answer sheet and wrote down "grain storage".

Thanks to this thread we got first place by one point (out of 50).

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What Ben Carson did for you he can do for America!

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mitt's a better candidate than any of them.
This is true.

Joementum posted:

The funniest part of that article is that this is the year the entire Republican bench is running for President and it's not good enough so they're panicking and begging Mitt to run again.
And in fulfillment of the Prophecy ....

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Wow, so they really are scared. so i guess, who are they more scared for, their party or their country.
Pshaw, their party IS the country. In fact, you could sorta call them "the party" for short.

icantfindaname posted:

if you thought this primary was insane now, wait till the end when Trump pulls everyone else down along with himself into the burning final implosion
Like extra blankets helping burn off a fever. I've often felt that way about Ann Coulter and a few others, but reality hasn't borne that out yet. At any rate, he's having a hella good time.
This, omigod, love it in full size. This actually made me lol. This GIF is our generation's Nighthawks at the Diner.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They tried to do this after 2012 but gave up after about a month of navel gazing.

"So the solution to losing 50 pounds is to run 5 miles a day and cut my calorie consumption by 40 percent, eh?"

"Tell me more about that quick fix magic diet thingy!"

The worst is Jindal who was the "GOP has to stop being the party of stupid" guy, and then ever since he got wiped out in the backlash, he's been tripling and quadrupling down on stupid.

Edit: Trump is also a lot different from the Cain/Bachmann style not-Romneys because he knows how to work a crowd and has his own substantial source of funding so he can stay in the race as long as it amuses him, and aside from throwing big events, he can actually run his campaign on the cheap relying on getting buzz through twitter and free TV publicity/interviews.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Meanwhile in college, an amateur production of The Mountaintop at Kent State features MLK played by... a white guy. But it's more complicated than that! The director says:

quote:

“I truly wanted to explore the issue of racial ownership and authenticity,” director Michael Oatman said on opening night of his decision to use two actors — one white, one black — to play King. “I didn’t want this to be a stunt, but a true exploration of King’s wish that we all be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. … I wanted the contrast. … I wanted to see how the words rang differently or indeed the same, coming from two different actors, with two different racial backgrounds.”

The playwright says:

quote:

“I just really feel as though it echoes this pervasive erasure of the black body and the silencing of a black community — theatrically and also, literally, in the world,” she said.

The casting was “disrespectful” and “a disservice to not just Dr. King but an entire community,” Hall added.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Who cares though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile in college, an amateur production of The Mountaintop at Kent State features MLK played by... a white guy. But it's more complicated than that! The director says:

The playwright says:

I really want to believe the guy, while maybe well-intentioned, was really just not thinking.

quote:

“I truly wanted to explore the issue of racial ownership and authenticity,” director Michael Oatman said on opening night of his decision to use two actors — one white, one black — to play King. “I didn’t want this to be a stunt, but a true exploration of King’s wish that we all be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. … I wanted the contrast. … I wanted to see how the words rang differently or indeed the same, coming from two different actors, with two different racial backgrounds.”

Or maybe not.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

I really want to believe the guy, while maybe well-intentioned, was really just not thinking.

Or maybe not.

It just feels like one of those ideas that are entirely valid in a vacuum, which is where most people live (internally) when you think about it. But since the friggin character is supposed to be MLK that really should have tipped the guy off.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe it would have worked if he had more than just two MLKs. Like a lot of people, the guy forgot that there are more races than white and black.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

blue squares posted:

Maybe it would have worked if he had more than just two MLKs. Like a lot of people, the guy forgot that there are more races than white and black.

"Being Martin Luther King Jr." sounds like it could be a great movie.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

"Being Martin Luther King Jr." sounds like it could be a great movie.

I wish to volunteer to be one of the MLKs who doesn't get shot in Memphis

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

August Wilson posted:

"Colorblind casting is an aberrant idea that has never had any validity other than as a tool of Cultural Imperialists who view American culture , rooted in the icons of European culture, as beyond reproach in its perfection . . . ," he wrote.

"To mount an all-black production of a Death of a Salesman or any other play conceived for white actors as an investigation of the human condition through the specifics of white culture is to deny us our own humanity, our own history, and the need to make our own investigation from the cultural ground on which we stand as black Americans. It is an assault on our present, our difficult but honorable history in America; is an insult to our intelligence, our playwrights, and our many and varied contributions to the society and the world at large."

otoh maybe he's a hard core futurist and he's just trolling the poo poo out of the establishment

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

otoh maybe he's a hard core futurist and he's just trolling the poo poo out of the establishment

Maybe he knows that no one outside the theater department and the families of the theater department gives a poo poo about college plays so you might as well cast a white guy in the role of MLK. Also I had to read the article to find out the director is black.

This wasn't colorblind casting, btw.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

the_paradigm_shift posted:

I wish to volunteer to be one of the MLKs who doesn't get shot in Memphis

At least he didn't add a scene at the end where James Earl Ray, facing a crowd of multiracial and multi-ethnic MLKs demands to know who it the real one is, and they all stand in turn shouting "I am MLK!", "No, I'm MLK", etc.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Crain posted:

At least he didn't add a scene at the end where James Earl Ray, facing a crowd of multiracial and multi-ethnic MLKs demands to know who it the real one is, and they all stand in turn shouting "I am MLK!", "No, I'm MLK", etc.

Credits end on a spoof of "Real Slim Shady" for maximum cultural appropriation.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

What's James Earl Jones up to now

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I can't spot the difference

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I wish a motherfucker would cast James Earl Ray as a black man.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't CNN confuse James Earl Jones and James Earl Ray once?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Great Candidate or Greatest Candidate?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't CNN confuse James Earl Jones and James Earl Ray once?

Lauderhill, Florida did.

Or at least the guy making the plaque.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think I ever knew the name "James Earl Ray" in my history education.

Just as well really, because "MLK was killed by white people" is a much more poignant image than "this specific dude is Hitler for killing the blacks' only good leader".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

Maybe he knows that no one outside the theater department and the families of the theater department gives a poo poo about college plays so you might as well cast a white guy in the role of MLK. Also I had to read the article to find out the director is black.

This wasn't colorblind casting, btw.

lol I didn't even read the article. You're right.

that's uh....that's a statement.

• Locked thread