Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

My answer was shorter.

My answer was more helpful :colbert:

Also apparently today's game is hard to watch for colorblind folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seems like you'd put the low draw card on the night no one watches.

Seems like there's no carry at the WACA right now. Maybe boult is just not fast enough, but McCullum should have brought the slips in the first time. Warners just demolishing it right now though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amoeba102 posted:

Are the teams not interesting, or is Thursday night when no one watches?

Thursday football blows. There is absolutely no reason to play NFL games on Thursday except that the NFL wants another revenue stream for a day.

For all their claims about being concerned about play, the NFL gives itself away as uncaring by having games on Thursday. Reminder: both of these teams played games on Sunday afternoon.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Them kiwis don't seem to be taking to the waca like people thought they would.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think the kiwis suit English conditions. I'd have to go through records, but I think only the Windies have made the most of the WACA, as a touring side.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

How's the cricket going? It's not the ashes so it doesn't come on over here

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know what, mafia thread. I'm going to be ok. :unsmith:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not well for NZ.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I want everyone to know Ernie is pretty rad. That's all.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

:yaycloud:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Opopanax posted:

cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Opopanax posted:

:hf:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

I don't know if people are planning on making games, but I feel like making a game so maybe I'll make a little one.

Make a new game for the new guy and I'll join. Hello Flying Leatherman.

Opopanax posted:

:hfive:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I will open nuns, at long last. I will lower it from 15 players to 13 to ensure it fills up.

e: I have done so!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744155&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post452670016

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

:)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Opopanax posted:

:)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Glad to hear it dude.

How would people feel about a really slow paced game? I'm thinking about making a game where each day will be a week more or less.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Puntification posted:

Glad to hear it dude.

How would people feel about a really slow paced game? I'm thinking about making a game where each day will be a week more or less.

i'm the massive amount of lurking

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Long deadlines really kill activity don't they?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Long deadlines really kill activity don't they?

I dunno Somber's over the garden wall had a 4-5 d1. I think it could work, I'm gonna have stuff happening to encourage participation, minigames with minor boons or penalties, it's also gonna be a league-a-like with everyone having cool roles and stuff. I'm pretty stoked about the idea, I'm not saying this is gonna be the best game ever and save SA mafia from the doldrums but that's only cos I'm super modest.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Do people think the lurker problem could be solved by running a few C9 games where they're no longer than 2-3 game days and therefore people have to participate or the game is over very fast? I feel like maybe it would kickstart player involvement and mods could also look at it and just blow them up if D1 is a lurk fest and start over with people who were participating in a different game.

I dunno I'm just spitballin'. C9 isn't the best format from a ~setup~ standpoint but a 9 player game where everyone is heavily looking at a small pool and really clearly understands what each person is contributing might be good for us. They and F11's were the standard setup when I started playing and it was what really got me interested in the game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
No activity kills activity. Deadlines are a way to get people into the thread and generate some sort of activity. It is only a bandaid.

What you need is some self motivated individuals who actually enjoy posting and playing mafia. Which is literally impossible to find.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Authorman posted:

No activity kills activity. Deadlines are a way to get people into the thread and generate some sort of activity. It is only a bandaid.

What you need is some self motivated individuals who actually enjoy posting and playing mafia. Which is literally impossible to find.

i enjoy posting OR playing mafia. not together though

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hello thread.

My girlfriend and I had a lovely anniversary last night. We spent over $150 on booze alone which is bad because we're poor students but great because it was some fancy stuff. We ate shiokara, which is fermented squid guts, and it was actually legitimately good. It had a very strong odor/flavor and my hands still smell a bit, despite handwashing and showering and all that jazz. On the booze side of things I got to try that Japanese whiskey that beat Scotland for the first time ever in whatever the world whiskey competition is called.

In short, I recommend expensive booze and squid guts, 10/10.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samfucius posted:

Hello thread.

My girlfriend and I had a lovely anniversary last night. We spent over $150 on booze alone which is bad because we're poor students but great because it was some fancy stuff. We ate shiokara, which is fermented squid guts, and it was actually legitimately good. It had a very strong odor/flavor and my hands still smell a bit, despite handwashing and showering and all that jizz. On the booze side of things I got to try that Japanese whiskey that beat Scotland for the first time ever in whatever the world whiskey competition is called.

In short, I recommend expensive booze and squid guts, 10/10.

This post reads way different when you change just one letter.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Here is something someone should do in a smaller game: Set the game days to 72 hours but offer a boon (At random? All players who were on the lynch? A defined pro town boon? Something else?) if the hammer hits within the first 48 hours. Gives players incentive to not wait until six hours before deadline to start caring.

Probably a bad idea but I think part of the problem with low activity stems from everyone knowing that the hammer isn't going to happen until deadline. I can just show up in the last few hours hours and contribute and get mostly a pass for missing the bulk of the day regardless of if I've got a legit reason to be gone. Hell, it's almost a worse crime to miss a deadline than to lurk. Making the deadline be less predictable (well, making it so now there are basically two different deadlines) might help spur on activity earlier in the days.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

TMMadman posted:

This post reads way different when you change just one letter.

I've been trying and cannot fathom what you're getting at.

Please explain your presumably obvious joke.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Samfucius posted:

I've been trying and cannot fathom what you're getting at.

Please explain your presumably obvious joke.

Read his version, he changed the letter.

It's the word jazz

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Haha, of course I read right over it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Okay so what's the weirdest thing y'all have ever eaten.

I'm on a weird food kick, mostly because all the "weird" food I've ever had has been really good. Live termites straight from the mound? Awesome, tasted like peanut butter. Fermented squid guts? Tasted like really rich seafood.

No, I've never had lutefisk or surstromming or whatever.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I ate one of the fates once.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Electric eel ovaries. Duck uterus. Sheep hooves. Camel stuffed with lamb. And these are just the Arabic delicacies.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Keanes left eyeball. THATS RIGHT HE GETS HIS PIRATE CRED FROM ME

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

Electric eel ovaries. Duck uterus. Sheep hooves. Camel stuffed with lamb. And these are just the Arabic delicacies.

How do you eat hooves? Or is it used in soup flavoring? The rest sounds great.

Also I am safe in case anyone was wondering. Weird poo poo going down though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I was, 100. I was literally thinking of you as I read the bbc article, glad you're ok :)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Samfucius posted:

Okay so what's the weirdest thing y'all have ever eaten.

I'm on a weird food kick, mostly because all the "weird" food I've ever had has been really good. Live termites straight from the mound? Awesome, tasted like peanut butter. Fermented squid guts? Tasted like really rich seafood.

No, I've never had lutefisk or surstromming or whatever.

I have eaten LOTS of weird things, BUT the weirdest is probably Stewed squirrels (with heads and brains intact Yum!) or Rattlesnake cooked in a cast iron pan over a fire with onions and seasonings.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Yeah, I was, 100. I was literally thinking of you as I read the bbc article, glad you're ok :)

Thanks Diqnol. Thankfully we stayed in tonight, not that we go out to that part of town all that often, just a shy far enough for us to be lazy but it's a super popular destination. This is weird and upsetting and the hostage situation really has me worried. I don't want this to end badly. Thankfully everyone we know is ok. But still, this sucks.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just heard 60 to 100 people are being held hostage at a venue. There are rumors that some of the shooters spoke of Syria. If that's true, I see a mess in the EU that might be worse than this economy stuff

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
just woke up. Stay safe buddy! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Just reading about this now, that sounds awful.