Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Prostate play November guys!

*office full of men doing :catstare:*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the_paradigm_shift posted:

PROBATION11/13/15 09:34amSmoothrichI told you not to post in Games you dumb racist weirdo gently caress. User loses posting privileges for 100,000 hours

Lol

got 'em

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Oh god I'm in Miami and have to be back in Miami in two weeks and then again two weeks after that

gently caress Miami

no son gently caress you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i dont really want to politicize cancer research but movember smacks of when's-white-history-monthery to me

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why are we calling this dude jihadi john if his name is mohammed

feels racist

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

tie it into fantasy football. 'play for prostates'

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

I think good is a stretch
I think it's good because it concisely expresses a couple of things I had felt were gross about the whole movember/facial hair enthusiast thing and the gendered coding of illness awareness.

Besides if breast cancer awareness involves a ton of "save the tatas" and boob stuff, why doesn't prostate cancer awareness involve a lot of buttplay stuff? The answer is that both are coded to be palatable to unselfaware straight men.

Aeryk posted:

I don't think I've ever heard it called a 'lady tickler' and I feel worse off for this information.

"Houston’s Del Frisco’s Grille is joining others across the nation to raise funds and awareness for men's health issues for the Movember Foundation with their “Man-Up Stache-Up” fundraising effort.

In honor of Movember, Del Frisco’s Grille has created two unique cocktails with Jack Daniels to be served all month long, “The Lady Tickler” and “The Stiff Upper Lip.”

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

my eu4 books won't balance. life ruined

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

got 'em

hmmm. ohhhh migf would you like to post in games for a bit?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Disinterested posted:

Disinterested posted:

I think a stretch is good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sharkie posted:

unselfaware straight men.

yeah they're targeting where the money is

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
idk why we have to have dumb gimmicks for cancer research

cancer is bad enough

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sharkie posted:

I think it's good because it concisely expresses a couple of things I had felt were gross about the whole movember/facial hair enthusiast thing and the gendered coding of illness awareness.

Besides if breast cancer awareness involves a ton of "save the tatas" and boob stuff, why doesn't prostate cancer awareness involve a lot of buttplay stuff? The answer is that both are coded to be palatable to unselfaware straight men.

"Houston’s Del Frisco’s Grille is joining others across the nation to raise funds and awareness for men's health issues for the Movember Foundation with their “Man-Up Stache-Up” fundraising effort.

In honor of Movember, Del Frisco’s Grille has created two unique cocktails with Jack Daniels to be served all month long, “The Lady Tickler” and “The Stiff Upper Lip.”

They are coded for straight men and it's a choice it actively made and it's arguably a very good one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

cancer is bad enough

because komen stacks ridiculous amounts of cash by being a lifestyle brand

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

my eu4 books won't balance. life ruined

how

are you playing like an impoverished steppe khanate or something

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Excuse me sir would you stop and give us money for cancer research and awareness but only after I explain to you why all your moral and cultural paradigms are wrong

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

because komen stacks ridiculous amounts of cash by being a lifestyle brand

Looking into the financials of non-profits has really had a negative effect on my faith in other people.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

frankly 90% of moustaches are bad

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

how

are you playing like an impoverished steppe khanate or something

I'm playing ayutthaya with pretensions at being a world power. lovely provinces and tech

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

frankly 90% of moustaches are bad

Correct

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marketers aggressively masculinize yogurt and diet soda

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

marketers aggressively masculinize yogurt and diet soda
men are pathetically insecure

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

The article somewhat misses the point that movember is explicitly designed to get the type of people who ordinarily wouldn't to take an interest and in that respect it's a huge success

Now let's play the little utilitarian game of imagining how much good it would do if it was explicitly oriented and marketed around prostate play

That doesn't mean that the criticisms mentioned in the article are invalid nor does it mean the gross aspects of it aren't there. It's using it as a lens to explore many things related to masculinity and illness.

And it's not advocating for that kind of marketing, it's unpacking why it isn't done.

The Warszawa posted:

cancer is bad enough
Yeah, and this is p much what the article says too. Or at least take a moment to acknowledge how weird some of these gimmicks are.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
ugh i have about 90 minutes to make a healthy lunch decision since i didn't have time to make a lunch today

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm playing ayutthaya with pretensions at being a world power. lovely provinces and tech

Ayutthaya is ridiculously wealthy though unless they nerfed the Bukkhara trade node (you did conquer Bukkhara right)

Last time I played them I started the Southeast Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and had a worldwide monopoly on chili peppers

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Everyone is gonna forget really fast that it's like a major cultural achievement just to make straight guys not terrified of their own assholes

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

ugh i have about 90 minutes to make a healthy lunch decision since i didn't have time to make a lunch today

Chicken wings, full of protein.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Woooooooo boys that was fun.

America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

well marketers think they are i cannot imagine that Man Tools Skin Care branding actually works on people

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

90 minutes is a p long time

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Sharkie posted:

That doesn't mean that the criticisms mentioned in the article are invalid nor does it mean the gross aspects of it aren't there. It's using it as a lens to explore many things related to masculinity and illness.

And it's not advocating for that kind of marketing, it's unpacking why it isn't done.

Yeah, and this is p much what the article says too. Or at least take a moment to acknowledge how weird some of these gimmicks are.

well it was more a rhetorical question because zoux is right

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Everyone is gonna forget really fast that it's like a major cultural achievement just to make straight guys not terrified of their own assholes

we can run this by nutranurse the 'just one knuckle isn't gay' campaign

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

well marketers think they are i cannot imagine that Man Tools Skin Care branding actually works on people

honestly that stuff is more embarrassing than the regularly marketed stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finally I can drink Dr Pepper without being gay, the worst possible thing to be.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

zoux posted:

I don't think the branding does but the fact it is obviously not a woman's thing just from looking at it probably helps

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

R. Mute posted:

It's true.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
like really was diet Dr Pepper really feminine?

i can see it being effete and pretentious tho because it has dr not dr.

fuckin anglophiles

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

well it was more a rhetorical question because zoux is right

some big changes for the new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

women though, super not insecure

• Locked thread