Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eyud posted:

rFactor 2 is on Steam now. If you already have a non-Steam copy, you can get a key here.

It's also 40% off if you don't have it. Also has Steam Workshop support which is gonna make managing what content the game has easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Screenshot of the non-Steam version mod manager

http://i.imgur.com/oOXDJDU.jpg

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rF2 Steam pro-tip, you need to go through the Workshop and subscribe to the content you want because ISI can't bear bundling tracks or cars with the base game.

E:

They changed nothing. Even with Steam Workshop you still need to go through the launcher to install mods. At least it's mostly automatic but holy poo poo is this unnecessary. Also it'll download literally every bit of content for the game even if you didn't subscribe to it on first launch. This game is such a god drat nightmare.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ISI's UI design team:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK so I just spent some time with it and have some opinions.

First, holy poo poo does this run better now. I don't know if it's Steam or the last update but I can actually run races now without dropping framerate into the toilet. Second the race events are something I'm in favour of. I don't know if they've always been there but this is the first time I've seen them. Everything just feels more controlled now and it's a much more pleasant game to play.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcKFTB01UbQ The AI is good.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So what's the chance that the new Fanatec wheel is going to be a replacement for the GT2 as an affordable wheel? Or will it be stupidly expensive.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If it was a new high end product, especially if it was a DD wheel, it would be most likely be a picture of a base and not a rim. Plus the materials don't look like the high end stuff to me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Larrymer posted:

goddamn that looks fun.

tater_salad posted:

this is amazing, must get.

real_scud posted:

Oh good god that looks unbelievable

LFS is great for pickup poo poo like this especially when on Mumble. No need to worry about sessions and poo poo. Just hop on a server with people. And do sprint races every 10 minutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Fanatec was smart, it would be a low-end/mid-range wheelbase that comes with whatever that wheel is. It would also support the universal hub so you could customize but it would also make it easier to upsell people into a CSW v2 base. The default wheel has a quick release but isn't very feature rich so you can buy the universal hub. Now you have the universal hub, you can go straight into this CSW base.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've just spent some time with rFactor 2 on Steam - I didn't get the email originally but after I sent a support email they replied within the hour with the Steam code which is nice!

Has there always been a wheel soft lock? I have a feeling that there was but I could never get it to work if that was the case. It make the game more playable since needing to dick around in the Logitech thing before playing is always annoying... Also the race events thing is good and not something that I'm sure they had before, plus they seem to have put some thought into what tracks to put with what car: I tried driving the IndyCar (badly) and all the tracks they had seemed to fit the IndyCar very well. I actually quite like the different variations they have on the totally not-Top Gear test track, its an interesting idea and an airport track is different at least: I still think that the old Cleveland IndyCar track is better but I'll take it!

For some reason the identical cars are much harder to drive in this than in iRacing - at least the IndyCar and the Skip Barber are. I don't know whether that's more realistic, whether its car setup, whether its an rFactor2 thing or just me but I'm not a huge fan. I know that rFactor2 gets a lot of criticism for its content but track-wise at least its not that bad. It may not have all of the big tracks but I honestly don't mind missing some of them if we get some interesting tracks that aren't in every other game and it delivers that to some extent with some of the smaller American tracks that they have that no other game has. It doesn't get close to SCE in the "weird interesting tracks that aren't in any other game" stakes but its . I'm just hoping that they release some of the stuff that they've been licenced: when they first got IndyCar and IMS (the latter is a very good track with all the combos that they've used in the past for the road tracks) they were meant to release a lot of old IndyCar stuff (I remember a 95 Reynard, a 80s March, a 60s rear-engined one and a Roadster are what I can vaguely remember them being) and they've not been mentioned since. Hopefully we'll hear more now that they have the Stock Cars out and anyone of them would dramatically increase the amount of (unique) oval content they have, although I'm a little biased being a big IndyCar fan.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How's Rfactor on a gamepad?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

loving hell I've been waiting like 2 months for the guy to email me about the adapter I need for my wheel. I just want to stop using these poo poo stock TX pedals...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What pedals are you trying to use?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Clubsport 3s. I know I can use them on PC without an adapter. But I'm spending most of my wheel time with forza right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd probably only want to use CSP v3s with a CSW or USB. You can only change the load cell sensitivity with software.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'd probably only want to use CSP v3s with a CSW or USB. You can only change the load cell sensitivity with software.

"The CPX adapter will allow for racers to save a valuable USB port, and still retain control of the load cell sensitivity and ABS functionality on the unit."

http://www.isrtv.com/other-hardware/basherboards-fanatec-pedal-txt500rs-adapter-coming-soon/

That's what the adapter is for

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I was just about to post about that. LOL at Ohsh.

It looks like it may be more of a replacement for the lower end wheels anyway.

Edit - As stated already by people above. Helps if I go to the next page.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The cpx adapter is great but the guy that makes them just had a baby and has put his business on hold for a while.

I wish I knew you wanted one. I just sold mine.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

IceAgeComing posted:

For some reason the identical cars are much harder to drive in this than in iRacing - at least the IndyCar and the Skip Barber are. I don't know whether that's more realistic, whether its car setup, whether its an rFactor2 thing or just me but I'm not a huge fan. .

I used to feel the same way until I learned how to set dynamic track rubber levels. Driving the Skippy on a green track was dog poo

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
The teased Fanatec wheel is on their web shop - it's a $140 rim for the ClubSport wheel base :(

However, it is listed as part of the CSL product family, not ClubSport. I'd guess that means they will be releasing a cheap wheel base, maybe around $200, to replace the CSR stuff.

The ClubSport v3 pedals have a new preorder arrival date of 11/20, so they have another batch of products arriving soon. Maybe there are more CSL products there, to be teased shortly. The new rim's shot was too dark to see the wheel base, so who knows what could be coming in the pipeline...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It would be interesting if they made all their CSR/CSL rims compatible with the CSW base just without the quick release thing. Would probably get more people getting in with the cheaper CSR/L stuff then upgrading to a CSW base later because they didn't have to spend an extra €300 getting a new rim for it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

njsykora posted:

It would be interesting if they made all their CSR/CSL rims compatible with the CSW base just without the quick release thing. Would probably get more people getting in with the cheaper CSR/L stuff then upgrading to a CSW base later because they didn't have to spend an extra €300 getting a new rim for it.

Exactly, or even the reverse - ClubSport wheel rim with a cheaper base, then upgrade the base later. Not sure if it's feasible, but it would really help lock in their consumers.

I'm hoping for a new shifter set to be announced. Flappy paddles just suck when that's your only option, and I've been jonesing for a shifter. That being said, 200 bucks is more than I can justify for a decent shifter when I'm still on the CSR wheel. If they announce a new midrange shifter I'll either buy that, or I'll get the junky CSR set on discount when they clear it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know what they could do to make a cheaper decent shifter. The CSS is pretty bare bones inside. All they could do is just make it all out of plastic which they did with the csr shifters and they were garbage.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Th8a shifter is actually really good btw.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

Yeah I know of very few people who use the Clubsport shifter, it's either TH8A, G27 or some ridiculous custom thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

I love the sequential gate for old F1 cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaseFace McGee posted:

However, it is listed as part of the CSL product family, not ClubSport. I'd guess that means they will be releasing a cheap wheel base, maybe around $200, to replace the CSR stuff.
You seem to have guessed correctly:

quote:

This is the first component of the new CSL series which is positioned below the very popular Clubsport Series.
This steering wheel is an add-on for your existing ClubSport V1 or V2 base or the upcoming CSL base.
From http://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/181/fanatec-releases-csl-wheel-p1-steering-wheel-for-xbox-one

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

How's Rfactor on a gamepad?

expect to spend your first 10 hours getting the sliders for deadzone and sensitivities just right.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

expect to spend your first 10 hours getting the sliders for deadzone and sensitivities just right.

I actually spent some time last week making Stock Car Extreme work on a gamepad. I don't know why, but I did. Really if I was gonna make a sim work with a gamepad it'd be rFactor because the earning credits and buying cars and upgrades thing really appeals to me as a videogame and I'm kinda sad no mods ever really went deep into that.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Alright. Ohsh and I have discovered the greatness that is trying to find LFS servers with custom layouts. We found one last night with a totally bitchin' rad rally time trial.

Who's got LFS, and wants to schedule a mumble night where we invade one of these bonkers servers?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Have to say I've been pleasantly surprised how many people have brought their rFactor 2 mods to Steam Workshop, the Virtua_LM tracks, many of the major car mods and a few UI mods have been added in the last week alongside a lot more tracks including a nice conversion of Macau from Race 07.

Though it's always funny to look at the profiles of the people putting these up and seeing they mostly play Assetto Corsa.

Also Steam Sale is starting on the 25th, so that'll likely be a good time to pick up Raceroom and Assetto Corsa DLC if you don't have it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 20, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I love steam sales for racing games. I don't have a lot of free time so my purchases are basically for when i either become unemployed, use up a lot of vacation time, break a limb, become sick, or win the lotto.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I purchased game stock car extreme last night. Didn't have much time to get into it.

Triple monitor support seems clunky. As in, it hard crashed my machine.

Also no profile for a driving force GT wheel. I did some searching but it looks like most info on suggested FFB settings are from 2011. Haven't they undergone bug changes in physics and FFB since then ?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Returned to AC after 30 hours of Dirt Rally. Actually destroying my engine with lovely downshifting is running my style now, but you best believe I can recover from any spin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jonathan posted:

I purchased game stock car extreme last night. Didn't have much time to get into it.

Triple monitor support seems clunky. As in, it hard crashed my machine.

Also no profile for a driving force GT wheel. I did some searching but it looks like most info on suggested FFB settings are from 2011. Haven't they undergone bug changes in physics and FFB since then ?

Yeah, and there was a complete FFB rework in the 1.38 update a few months ago. Most people though run FFB on low or medium at -70 regardless of their wheel. I ran full effects at -100 a while back but the wheel rattling was ridiculous.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Returned to AC after 30 hours of Dirt Rally. Actually destroying my engine with lovely downshifting is running my style now, but you best believe I can recover from any spin.

The sequential shifts have over-rev protection now. Stick+Clutch obviously does not, so that can still be an issue though. I like the change since I had a habit of dropping gears on the Ferrari and Formula cars, which usually resulted in either a toasted engine or spin.

I finally got AC working on Windows 10 with the Rift. They haven't updated it for quite a while, though I gotta say it looks and runs smoother than Project Cars, which has been kept up to date on the latest Rift builds. Looking forward to when they put more time into it, so I have a better menu system and no need to mess with the batch system that I need to use on 10.

Nordschleife on AC is so much better too. Easily my favorite track with hundreds of laps at this point.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Phuzun posted:

The sequential shifts have over-rev protection now. Stick+Clutch obviously does not, so that can still be an issue though. I like the change since I had a habit of dropping gears on the Ferrari and Formula cars, which usually resulted in either a toasted engine or spin.

Oh that'll save me some serious headaches. Checking it out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Oh that'll save me some serious headaches. Checking it out.

I'm going through AC's career because why not right now and its brought me to this thing. Made me wonder why I was taking hairpins at Nurburgring in 3rd.

I think AC is the only game still that has a laser scanned Nordschleife for a few more weeks which might explain why its so good. I haven't driven it though, waiting for the Steam sale to pick up the dream packs.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

njsykora posted:

Most people though run FFB on low or medium at -70 regardless of their wheel. I ran full effects at -100 a while back but the wheel rattling was ridiculous.

Is it negative values for logitech wheels and positive for other makes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The negative and positive correspond to what your wheel thinks the positive direction is. If your hardware designer was not an animal, counterclockwise should be the positive direction.

• Locked thread