Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds similar to mine but im running amd gfx :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

nvidia lol

:(

he just likes getting something for his money (contrary to what his purchase history might say)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I got gigabit fiber to my house by my Asus RT-N16 can only handle 110mbit on the NAT before the CPU falls over and top reads 1.8. Are there consumer routers that can reliably push gigabit speeds through a NAT or should I just bite the bullet and run a mini pc for router duties and have it double as a NAS?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I got gigabit fiber to my house by my Asus RT-N16 can only handle 110mbit on the NAT before the CPU falls over and top reads 1.8. Are there consumer routers that can reliably push gigabit speeds through a NAT or should I just bite the bullet and run a mini pc for router duties and have it double as a NAS?

im gonna say an airport extreme or something ubiquity will be hte best you will prolly do before hitting legit routers?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
ubiquiti will have something. that or go mikrotik

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

obstipator posted:

i dont get linux, so idk which parts are vague.
nginx is running and php is running. the php code is some other dudes thing that he wrote a bunch of cron-esque scripts in. I built a node script (utilizing commander; this isn't some random express poo poo) for some data fetching stuff and related and he wants it to be runnable from his server by just hitting some php url.
node was installed via nvm and as the root user. it exists at like /root/.nvm/poopy/butt/bin/node
root has access to it, but www-data does not. when I try php's exec() on the sanatized node command
exec('/root/.nvm/poopy/butt/bin/node gay.js', $out, $err);
i get a error code of 126, which means permission denied.

so, i tried to make the node binary 777 just to get it to work and I'd least permissions it out later. chmod'd /root/.nvm/poopy/butt/bin/node to 777 and chown'd it to www-data:www-data
still permission denied.

at this point i gave up and just cp'd it to the directory i had that php file in that runs the exec(). i modified the exec() node binary path to that and it worked and a big "ACCESS GRANTED" showed up on my screen in big green letters. so I'm like "here's the working thing but i linuxed it wrong, so you fix it"

You would need to give www-data at least execute rights on all directories in between because it needs to traverse them all. (don't do this)

don't install stuff in root's homedir that is really dumb, put stuff like that under /opt and then make it world-readable and executable (or just for www-data if you need to limit the use of node to the webserver on that system but I dont see why)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

my asus ac56u does 800-900 something, good enough imo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
also if you've flashed something like ddwrt or tomato you may lose hardware acceleration due to the driver depending on the manufacture which can severely gently caress your NAT speeds

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

You would need to give www-data at least execute rights on all directories in between because it needs to traverse them all. (don't do this)

don't install stuff in root's homedir that is really dumb, put stuff like that under /opt and then make it world-readable and executable (or just for www-data if you need to limit the use of node to the webserver on that system but I dont see why)

sweet, this helps a bunch for a linux idiot like me. thanks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ahmeni posted:

also if you've flashed something like ddwrt or tomato you may lose hardware acceleration due to the driver depending on the manufacture which can severely gently caress your NAT speeds

Yeah, I'm reverting it to the asus firmware since tomato apparently kills cut through forwarding. This unit doesn't do true hardware offload, so apparently the best I can expect from what others have said is it will push about 250mbit.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Maximum Leader posted:

my asus ac56u does 800-900 something, good enough imo

$85? Sold.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I went with the Linksys EA6900 after messing around on the smallnetbuilder site for way too long. Seems like the best all-arounder for wifi peformance while maintaining gigabit throughput on the wan. Computer are dumb as poo poo and this was too difficult.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

echinopsis posted:

sounds similar to mine but im running amd gfx :cry:
I'm Mr Bad Example
Take a look at me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I went with the Linksys EA6900 after messing around on the smallnetbuilder site for way too long. Seems like the best all-arounder for wifi peformance while maintaining gigabit throughput on the wan. Computer are dumb as poo poo and this was too difficult.
good choice, belkin is a solid brand name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

I'm Mr Bad Example
Take a look at me

eh honestly people keep saying it's poo poo but I have no idea why

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

UBNT is good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
youtube buffers really slowly in chrome, but if I switch to firefox it loads fast as gently caress. anyone know what might cause this?

i uninstalled all my extensiopns except for linkclump, tampermonkey and ublock and honestly if one of those is causing it i' m just going to switch to firefox

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

also i just got a really good new computer so it isn't a hardware issue probably

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

youtube buffers really slowly in chrome, but if I switch to firefox it loads fast as gently caress. anyone know what might cause this?

i uninstalled all my extensiopns except for linkclump, tampermonkey and ublock and honestly if one of those is causing it i' m just going to switch to firefox

this is a dumb aside but i had this problem in linux and it turned out they were both using html5 but firefox out of the box on linux can't play anything above 480p without manual about :config changes and so was just very quickly loading 480p

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

chome is a goog product and goog only wants you to load the ad.

also the buffering indicator in youtube is a lie

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

chrome will try to use its UDP based QUIC protocol instead of regular TCP. maybe your ISP is doing something that is causing that kind of traffic to slow down.

You can disable QUIC in chrome://flags to see if that changes anything.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the bufferring graphic i'm sure is bullshit but lately chrome has been reaching the end of the buffer before the video is over a lot

i just disabled QUIC and it seems better but only time will tell ty

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive been getting a feeling that my latops screen darkens/lightens (idk) in a weird way depending on whether if i browse yospos or grey forums, and it is very distracting. any ideas if that could be actual monitor problem?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kalstrams posted:

ive been getting a feeling that my latops screen darkens/lightens (idk) in a weird way depending on whether if i browse yospos or grey forums, and it is very distracting. any ideas if that could be actual monitor problem?

this, maybe? http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-dark-screen-problems/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no, unfortunately

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

my tv deffo adjusts the backlighting depending on how dark the onscreen image is, it's really noticeable at night

i've never heard of a computer doing this but it's possible

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

my tv deffo adjusts the backlighting depending on how dark the onscreen image is, it's really noticeable at night

i've never heard of a computer doing this but it's possible
it's p common for laptops and other mobile devices these days

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yah but strangely enough i didnt notice it until recent.

otoh i have theory that actually sleeping should help with this issue :v:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
the light emitted from the display trips the light sensor which causes the display to get brighter. repeat until max brightness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

the light emitted from the display trips the light sensor which causes the display to get brighter. repeat until max brightness.

never understood the appeal

best is when it's bright out and you go to the menu and it's all black and it dims to near invisibility

thank you teleputer

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im doing some poo poo telnetting into devices and running commands programmatically. is there a correct way to know when the response has been fully sent? right now i just check for the shell prompt string and assume its done sending output at that point, but a lotof these devices just use "#" for shell prompt, which has been coming up a lot in the response outputs from the commands im running, giving false positives

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

obstipator posted:

im doing some poo poo telnetting into devices and running commands programmatically. is there a correct way to know when the response has been fully sent? right now i just check for the shell prompt string and assume its done sending output at that point, but a lotof these devices just use "#" for shell prompt, which has been coming up a lot in the response outputs from the commands im running, giving false positives

i might be misunderstanding what you mean but i know && is a thing you can do that says "execute this command after the previous command completes successfully" like

code:
# sudo rm -rf / && echo "cya later syslords"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i might be misunderstanding what you mean but i know && is a thing you can do that says "execute this command after the previous command completes successfully" like

code:

if you're at the # prompt you don't need sudo :goonsay:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

code:

you are a genius. thanks!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

you are a genius. thanks!
if you don't care about checking the exit code of the previous command, or if the program you're using throws a non-zero exit code normally, you can use a semicolon instead of double ampersand

if you want to see the exit code of the last thing you ran, do 'echo $?'

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Captain Foo posted:

if you're at the # prompt you don't need sudo :goonsay:

:flipoff:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

don't use telnet ever, if a device doesn't support ssh and only supports telnet throw it away

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
is there any vpn/vps yospos recommends for low latency stuff? my TWC net is having routing issues where some servers have terrible routes and others are fine, so i'm thinking of using a vpn just for the improved routing. but all the vpns I know of are poo poo

i've done this before using a nearby low-end vps for browsing but they tend to randomly disconnect

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

don't use telnet ever, if a device doesn't support ssh and only supports telnet throw it away

RIP a shitload of networking, telecom, medical, etc. equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ahmeni posted:

RIP a shitload of networking, telecom, medical, etc. equipment
good