Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
... but will "because it's 2016" have the same traction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Because it was 2015.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Pretty soon tourists will have to rely on just Presto because the TTC's plan is to have the entire system run solely on Presto by the end of 2016, when they will stop selling tickets and tokens, and by the middle of 2017 they will stop accepting tickets and tokens so it's either use Presto or pay the full cash fare.

Oh I know that's the plan but lol if you think this schedule won't be off by a few years and/or get bungled horribly like literally everything else the TTC does.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wonder if Calgary Transit will embark on a third attempt to build a fare-card system... I wonder if it will work this time (no I don't; of course it won't work, because Calgary Transit is run by retarded squirrels).

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Because it's 201X

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
When did racists start using "New Canadian" as a derogatory term? Is it since Harper used it in the debate or has it been around for a while? Started a new job this week and my new coworkers throw it around constantly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The term's been around since at least the 2000s; I thought it was initially brought in as a synonym for expat and was then rejected by those people because they called it a synonym for feces.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, to change from buschat here is all the ministerial mandate letters for you guys. Yes, we made them public. Why?

because it's 2015

(No, I am tired of that line yet)

I like some of what I see here. For example, in the Defence letter:

quote:

working with the Minister of Public Services and Procurement to launch an open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft, focusing on options that match Canada’s defence needs

No more F-35? :woop:

quote:

Work with senior leaders of the Canadian Armed Forces to establish and maintain a workplace free from harassment and discrimination.

in Justice:

quote:

Lead a process, supported by the Minister of Health, to work with provinces and territories to respond to the Supreme Court of Canada decision regarding physician-assisted death.

Develop, in collaboration with the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, and supported by the Minister of Status of Women, an approach to, and a mandate for, an inquiry into murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls in Canada, including the identification of a lead Minister.

Review our litigation strategy. This should include early decisions to end appeals or positions that are not consistent with our commitments, the Charter or our values.

You should conduct a review of the changes in our criminal justice system and sentencing reforms over the past decade with a mandate to assess the changes, ensure that we are increasing the safety of our communities, getting value for money, addressing gaps and ensuring that current provisions are aligned with the objectives of the criminal justice system. Outcomes of this process should include increased use of restorative justice processes and other initiatives to reduce the rate of incarceration amongst Indigenous Canadians, and implementation of recommendations from the inquest into the death of Ashley Smith regarding the restriction of the use of solitary confinement and the treatment of those with mental illness.

quote:

Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-51, and introduce new legislation that strengthens accountability with respect to national security and better balances collective security with rights and freedoms.

quote:

Introduce government legislation to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of “identifiable group” protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code.

I would post more, but holy hell that website is making GBS threads the bed for me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

This should include early decisions to end appeals or positions that are not consistent with our commitments, the Charter

Hey guys here's a thought: We'd have more time if we spent less time trying to convince judges to let us do things that are against the highest laws in the country. Whaddya say?

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

flakeloaf posted:

The term's been around since at least the 2000s; I thought it was initially brought in as a synonym for expat and was then rejected by those people because they called it a synonym for feces.

I had not heard it used that way before this week so I thought something was up. Must be a workplace thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

> go south

You are facing a stone wall, much too high to climb. "SECTION 12" is written on it in letters ten feet high. It extends for as far as you can see to the east and west; there is a footpath to a wooden glade to the north.

>:ins:

:golfclap:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like the justice stuff. Trying to enact framework around the use of solitary is really big. The bigger problem is how prisoners are treated at a provincial level, but this could help encourage them to stop being horrible about the use of solitary.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thustin

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, to change from buschat here is all the ministerial mandate letters for you guys. Yes, we made them public. Why?

because it's 2015

(No, I am tired of that line yet)

Where does JT talk about weed. This is critical.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Act that spawned the current iteration of the criminal code is 30 years old. Starting from scratch and redoing it from the ground up over the next 3 to 4 years would be a worthy idea.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

flakeloaf posted:

Presto's the name of the mass transit card in Toronto and Ottawa (even though the cards aren't mutually compatible because of course they aren't).

They actually are though? I seem to recall Toronto issuing "2.0" version cards or whatever, all I know is that when my friend visits from the GTA she can use her Presto on Ottawa buses just fine - I haven't tried it the other way around yet though.

(buschat is eternal)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Amgard posted:

While you are waiting for him to pay lip service to that platform promise know that he could decriminalize it at any time once the hoc resumes sitting. I'm eager to see him do that so we can shift resources away from crimes like possession.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

Punishment doesn't work because people aren't in their right state of mind when they choose to drive drunk. What will deter drunk driving is the expansion of other options for getting home, including transit (with good hours and/or a special night bus system), taxis, ride-share services, services like Keys Please that drive you home in your own car, and finally building more drinking establishments and restaurants within walking distance of where people live.

Greater enforcement, including checkstops, would also decrease drunk driving because most people consider the chance of getting caught far more than the possible punishment when choosing to commit a crime.

Increasing punishment doesn't work, and has never worked, as a means of preventing crime. It doesn't matter if it's robbery, drug use, drunk driving, assault, etc. It doesn't work. There's no point to it, and it's more expensive than the alternative.

Choosing to drive drunk is a choice people make usually before they start drinking in most of my experiences. I've seen people puking before getting in cars and fumbling out of lots, I've had people argue to me that they are better drivers drunk then sober and so on. People make me irrationally angry with that poo poo. I also live in Winnipeg though so there's a lot of horrible people here.

We have a drive you home in your car service here called Operation Red Nose that entirely staffed by volunteers, but it only runs during Christmas Party season. I would love to see more money put into that program to cover more holidays.

Checkstops are being more and more ineffective nowadays with social media, I can look-up a hashtag on any given night and plan my drunk route home accordingly. I do also get angry at people who get mad at checkstops, if you weren't breaking the law you wouldn't have to be mad at a Police Officer asking you to blow into a tube.

I don't think more prison time is the answer, but a 2 years supervised probation and a year driving ban for taking another human due to your own stupidity is also loving ridiculous.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

They actually are though? I seem to recall Toronto issuing "2.0" version cards or whatever, all I know is that when my friend visits from the GTA she can use her Presto on Ottawa buses just fine - I haven't tried it the other way around yet though.

(buschat is eternal)

Hm. When I first signed up for the cards back when they were free, I was sent a vertically-printed Toronto by mistake that the Ottawa system just wouldn't accept. I applied again, got a horizontally-printed one and that works just fine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Amgard posted:

That's in Justice:

quote:

Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Op Red Nose isn't running in Ottawa this year because we [Ottawans] can't get the volunteers. If Uber wanted to gain some PR points, that would be the time.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 13, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If I had my G I'd volunteer for you. Sorry.

Also, Kitsilano Coast Guard base is being reopened.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey the Justice letter includes "explorations of alternative sentence and bail reform".

Bail reform is super duper important to the long term health of corrections in Canada, this would be really really good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, Kitsilano Coast Guard base is being reopened.

This rules and makes me happy and gently caress Harper forever and ever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The sheer irony of a Liberal named Trudeau sweeping to power and undoing everything Harper did is somehow so delicious that it makes up for the fact that the Libs will eventually Lib.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

That's in Justice:

I like that this is really worded as this being a decision already made. There's no waffling here, it straight up says that they're legalizing it, the only question is the framework under which it happens.

There's a ton of stuff in the VA letter.

a: the PBO is to also cost election platforms

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It feels weird as hell to be reading the news and agreeing with what the government is doing. I haven't felt this way in a while.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

rawrr posted:

It feels weird as hell to be reading the news and agreeing with what the government is doing. I haven't felt this way in a while.

I imagine this is how people felt when President-Elect Obama was swearing up and down that he would get money out of politics and close Guantanamo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also the Minister of State stuff...

They might be paid as much as the other ministers but sure enough at least 4 of the women are reporting to men. I haven't looked through every letter in detail though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh hey Toronto airports and activism I know something about th-- aw it's over already.

Montreal had Toronto beat for worse airport connection in North America when Mirabel Airport existed!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Also the Minister of State stuff...

They might be paid as much as the other ministers but sure enough at least 4 of the women are reporting to men. I haven't looked through every letter in detail though.

Aren't they all reporting to a man?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

vyelkin posted:

That's in Justice:

That statement is missing an Oxford comma.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Aren't they all reporting to a man?

Good point.

Anyway 7 of the Ministers are reporting to other ministers. All are women.

Looks like there are 4 who have others reporting to them, and one of them (Joly) is a woman.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Could the more reluctant provinces and municipalities somehow circumvent marijuana legalization by passing their own local bylaws that fine you for possession etc?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I expect they absolutely could. Alcohol is legal federally but if you're under 17 and you're caught with it you're in poo poo.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Government regulated weed sounds pretty awful. Decriminalization would be much more preferable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Flip a coin: Heads it's Growers' Retail, tails it's LCBONG

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

El Scotch posted:

The Act that spawned the current iteration of the criminal code is 30 years old. Starting from scratch and redoing it from the ground up over the next 3 to 4 years would be a worthy idea.

Redoing the criminal code from scratch is not a 4 year process. Changes of that magnitude would take forever as it would take input from all the province's, both government and judiciary, then a debate at the federal level, in the same forums. Legal reform is one of the hardest things to do, and something like the criminal code would probably take 10+ years to do from scratch.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Abortion is still illegal, technically speaking. Even though it is now ''legal'' since R vs Morgentaler, every attempts to replace the archaic law with new things did not work out. Going to wait and see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Newfie posted:

Redoing the criminal code from scratch is not a 4 year process. Changes of that magnitude would take forever as it would take input from all the province's, both government and judiciary, then a debate at the federal level, in the same forums. Legal reform is one of the hardest things to do, and something like the criminal code would probably take 10+ years to do from scratch.

think the criminal code is bad?

try the income tax act :kheldragar: