Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tippis posted:

Don't worry. It gets worse with time.

I have the system clock mod installed so I don't lose track of time and still played it over an hour past when I should've gone to bed last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baron Porkface posted:

Do drivers in Sweden not have to pull over for emergency vehicles?
Its a gameplay conceit otherwise there would be no way for bad traffic to affect service coverage.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Anyone have a good list of updated mods? I can't figure out how to sort properly on the workshop and the OP seems outdated. Whenever I sort by most popular and subscribed it pulls up junk even on the collections mode. I want stuff like Traffic++.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

zedprime posted:

Its a gameplay conceit otherwise there would be no way for bad traffic to affect service coverage.

I bet you can get around this in amusing ways with that walkways mod that lets you build on pedestrian paths, and allows emergency/utility vehicles to route onto them. Special pedestrian/ambulance bypass bridges all over the place, and so on.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mitt Romney posted:

Anyone have a good list of updated mods? I can't figure out how to sort properly on the workshop and the OP seems outdated. Whenever I sort by most popular and subscribed it pulls up junk even on the collections mode. I want stuff like Traffic++.

Steam defaults to weird filters of like, most popular over the past day or 3 days or something weird, could this be causing you an issue?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a bug where parks don't ... work? I don't have any user made mods turned on, just the 'unlock everything' and '25 tile' bundled mods. I have an ok number of parks, I think?

Or are my cims all staying indoors getting high instead? :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baron Porkface posted:

Also even if there's street or building parking available all service vehicles block the road while they work.
Then again I've seen enough cops doing this in real life so I guess it's legit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mitt Romney posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516260778 <- basically what I'm using, although not all of them are turned on at all times.

vvv They do, but that's pretty much true to life. People around here can often behave… oddly in roundabouts. If they ever saw a double roundabout, I'm fairly certain that explosive aneurysms would happen. Granted, in the game, that has more to do with how the lanes set themselves up — the AI (mostly) just follows the arrows.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 12, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Also do any roundabouts exist in Sweden at all because the way cars behave on them in game makes me :stonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a bug where parks don't ... work? I don't have any user made mods turned on, just the 'unlock everything' and '25 tile' bundled mods. I have an ok number of parks, I think?

Or are my cims all staying indoors getting high instead? :v:
Services are agent traffic based for final affect (irrelevant for parks since visits don't do anything interesting, but for say the fire department, its important for trucks to be able to get where they are going on time), but also somewhat insidiously statistically based. The bottom line being a park radiates out pure leisure into the streets, and depending how big the street is, higher quality leisure makes it further out.

So the solutions are either parkier parks that are innately more leisureful (these exist if you delve into the raw stats), a higher density of parks, or a faster road network. 2 lane roads are notoriously bad at conveying service because of how low their speed limit is.

Its kind of dumb in the way its set up, presented, and balanced. As your city grows, you will realize if you are or aren't successfully fulfilling the agent based portion of fire departments and police stations, and then it boils down to spamming more service buildings of whatever type seems low to make stuff level up.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I also realized I had them set at the lowest amount of budget possible. :downs:

E: Hit post too quickly. That screenshot was my entire city minus the industrial district, which is why I thought it was so weird. I really need to get out of the habit of trying to get super dense residential blocks with minimal pavement, because that's just not how to play this game.

Cims don't walk over unzoned land, right? They're good little citizens that stay on the walkways?

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys make such good looking cities compared to my hellish nightmares. Maybe its because I build them based off the only cities Ive ever been to and known (Toronto, Vancouver, LA, and a bunch of cities that are basically giant suburbs like the hell I currently live in).

It would explain my inability to plan for public transit and walking at the very least. :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There are some really cool custom train assets on the Workshop:

Shroomblaze's Union Pacific Cargo Train

Tim the Terrible's Amtrak Acela Express

ron_fu-ta's Regional Train

Acc3ss Violation's BN Local Freight Train

Acc3ss Violation's US SD40-2 with Boxcars, and the caboose from his BN train in the background

Tim the Terrible's Conrail Freight Train

Many of these work best with Advance Vehicle Options, a lightweight mod that, among other things, lets you replace the last car of the train with a copy of the engine (important for commuter rail and night operations - the last car never has its own lights for when the train goes backwards). You can also set which trains spawn in general and make various other tweaks. I also recommend Improved Public Transit, which lets you fine-tune how may vehicles spawn on each line and what type. Baronjutter also posted about these mods a couple pages back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Aside from the Acela there is also an AEM-7 with Amfleet coaches and a Metroliner cab car for your Northeast Corridor cities. Hopefully he'll release one with an ACS-64 soon as the AEM-7s have become rare over the past year.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=537953389

There's also an F40 pulling Superliner cars in the old style Amtrak livery.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=547983662&searchtext=Amtrak

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

Heavy traffic definitely affects emergency vehicle response in real life, but yeah, that would be hard to simulate.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Work in progress update #2: I think I'm happy with the diffuse textures so far.

Now it's just a matter of creating the normal, illumination, and specular maps. Hoping to have this wrapped up and on the workshop in a few days!

(Sorry about the lovely city I plopped this in. That's also a work in progress to use as a showcase city for all my Seattle towers I'd like to make.)

e:

Fabulousity posted:

Nice work. What other ones were you planning on modeling?

Right now at the top of my list are the Municipal Tower, the Smith Tower (for SimCity nostalgia nerds), the Washington Mutual Tower, Safeco Plaza, Fourth and Madison, and the Aspira building. I'd like to take a crack at the Space Needle as well. Even though one is already on the Workshop, I think I could do it better.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

ExtraNoise posted:

(Sorry about the lovely city I plopped this in. That's also a work in progress to use as a showcase city for all my Seattle towers I'd like to make.)

Nice work. What other ones were you planning on modeling?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This guy just put up some neat elevated NYC style train stations to go with new train assets, using the thing someone else put out that lets you change around pillars. Lots of attached mods unfortunately but it definitely looks nice.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

Why should that happen? In the old Simcities traffic was one facet of happiness, it didn't cause the city to burn down and be filled with corpses.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baron Porkface posted:

Why should that happen? In the old Simcities traffic was one facet of happiness, it didn't cause the city to burn down and be filled with corpses.
You are poking at a very basic feels question about why a game would want to use agents vs statistical coverage. Since there's no real answer and going back to SimCity 4 is a very valid choice if you don't dig what agents do for providing traffic hurdles, I'd like to flippantly turn it around and ask why wouldn't a city burn down and fill with corpses if the fire trucks and hearses were stuck in a traffic nightmare?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

zedprime posted:

You are poking at a very basic feels question about why a game would want to use agents vs statistical coverage. Since there's no real answer and going back to SimCity 4 is a very valid choice if you don't dig what agents do for providing traffic hurdles, I'd like to flippantly turn it around and ask why wouldn't a city burn down and fill with corpses if the fire trucks and hearses were stuck in a traffic nightmare?

Moscow is still standing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Moscow is still standing.

I lived in Moscow for a summer and this is debatable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would support a Russian emergency vehicles pathfinding option https://i.imgur.com/xfb6oiL.gifv

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I used to wheel my blinky blinky car through the opposing lane in rush hour, and I skipped a lot of pedestrian paths, grass patches and parking lots back in when I was a cool guy. I have no idea how'd you simulate that in a game like this.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bold Robot posted:

No, which is why I asked? How do I do this?

Sorry for the delay, but for the FPS mod i'm using it's keyboard keys like z and x and stuff, don't remember exactly but the workshop page for it should say.

Baronjutter posted:

Also even if there's street or building parking available all service vehicles block the road while they work.
Then again I've seen enough cops doing this in real life so I guess it's legit.

Yeah it's definitely realistic. It doesn't seem to matter how urgent (or not) any situation is, any kind of emergency vehicle ain't got time to park, son!

zedprime posted:

I would support a Russian emergency vehicles pathfinding option https://i.imgur.com/xfb6oiL.gifv

This is amazing. "gently caress YOUR ROUNDABOUT!"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ExtraNoise posted:

Work in progress update #2: I think I'm happy with the diffuse textures so far.

Now it's just a matter of creating the normal, illumination, and specular maps. Hoping to have this wrapped up and on the workshop in a few days!

e:

Right now at the top of my list are the Municipal Tower, the Smith Tower (for SimCity nostalgia nerds), the Washington Mutual Tower, Safeco Plaza, Fourth and Madison, and the Aspira building. I'd like to take a crack at the Space Needle as well. Even though one is already on the Workshop, I think I could do it better.
This is so loving sexy. Looking forward to the final model as well as the others you have in mind.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I haven't played for a while, and I've come back and I'm finding that I can plop buildings over roads I've built. I know from past experience that it's a mod doing it, but I can't remember which one or how to turn that off. Anyone know?

e. lol I had 2 versions of Road Anarchy and I guess they were colliding
e2. I also had 2 versions of no pillars what am i doing

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 13, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I haven't played for a while, and I've come back and I'm finding that I can plop buildings over roads I've built. I know from past experience that it's a mod doing it, but I can't remember which one or how to turn that off. Anyone know?

That's probably NoPillars - check the two labels in the bottom left to see if the bottom one says Collide or Overlay.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Oh my.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553501635

My my :heysexy:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are parking spots required to make buildings work properly or something? I keep seeing towers on the Workshop with three little parking spots in front and it looks awful.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Are parking spots required to make buildings work properly or something? I keep seeing towers on the Workshop with three little parking spots in front and it looks awful.

No, in near future cars fit in pockets. Just add parking lots anyways, it does look better that way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Finally I can re-create the Renraku Arcology

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Friction posted:

No, in near future cars fit in pockets. Just add parking lots anyways, it does look better that way.

Holy poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Friction posted:

No, in near future cars fit in pockets.
Cities Skylines takes place in the Dragon Ball universe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cities Skylines takes place in the Dragon Ball universe.

Dragon Ball weird dome buildings theme set, please.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Friction posted:

At first glance I thought that was a photo.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Count Roland posted:

At first glance I thought that was a photo.

Thanks! I'm quite happy in general how the airport turned out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That is so beautiful. I love the realism of the airport. Well done.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There's still people on simtropolis crying about how it's 'not realistic enough' even after screenshots like that. 'WELL IT'S GOOD BUT IT'S NOT SC4 IS IT?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, SimCity 4 is the pinnacle of realism. Cars randomly fade in and out of existence, and pollution is unable to spread between regions.