Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Any suggestions for a wireless charging pad for a Samsung S6 that would work with a Diztronic case?

Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Anything from Tylt

Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008
One thing I'm really happy about on the 6p is the battery life. Took it off the charger yesterday at 8:45pm, and ended up staying overnight at a friend's place, returning home today at 2:45pm with 50% battery still remaining.

Those 18 hours included web browsing, a few texts, twitter, streaming ~100MB of music, listening to said music, using the SA app, plus two subway commutes with periods of no signal. Excellent.

Edit: 2h30m SOT

Ray Finkle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 13, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yo I want your phone ! :)

Yo, check the SA Mart thread. Yo. I can send it out today if you reply within roughly 3 hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

RVProfootballer posted:

Ron Amadeo's Blackberry Priv review:

"$700 for a bad keyboard, poor camera, iffy build quality, and old software? No thanks."

"Which would you rather type on?"

Text suggestions are on screen, but the nav buttons are between the hardware keyboard and suggestions:

Lots of complaints about the hardware too.

Sounds like a poo poo phone, just as I expected and assumed. Stick with software BlackBerry, you've lost.

Funky Bunkbed
Jul 27, 2007
You are now.
I recently switched from the iPhone 6+ to the Nexus 6P. One thing is really bothering me, though. On iOS, when you add a phonetic name to a contact, Siri will use that phonetic name as well. This way, it doesn't sound so weird when you ask her to call someone - she says the name correctly (at least, assuming YOU made the correct phonetic spelling). There is also a phonetic spelling field on Google Contacts. However, while it may help Android to know who I mean when I ask it to call someone, Google Now still uses the same broken pronunciation that made me add a phonetic name in the first place. Is there any way to alter the way the name is spoken back to me?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Hey 5X owners, have anyone else had issues with their hotspot functionality? I'm talking . The 6P was rock-solid - my laptop remained connected to it throughout the day, and not once did I have any issues streaming music or YouTube. On that same SIM card on the 5X I've had slow speeds, intermittent periods of high latency, and my laptop has disconnected from the wifi network several times.

Then again it could all be coincidence and T-Mo's having a bad network day.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone recommend me a wireless charger for the N6? I heard it's finicky with certain chargers, is that true?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Jmcrofts posted:

Can someone recommend me a wireless charger for the N6? I heard it's finicky with certain chargers, is that true?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Anything from Tylt

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It finally stopped raining so I had a chance to take a low light shot with my 6P at the end of my street. Preeeeeeetty good, though difficult to tell how dark it actually was at the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Present posted:

Any suggestions for a wireless charging pad for a Samsung S6 that would work with a Diztronic case?

Thanks goons!

Jmcrofts posted:

CLAM DOWN is right, you cannot beat the Tylt Vu.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

It finally stopped raining so I had a chance to take a low light shot with my 6P at the end of my street. Preeeeeeetty good, though difficult to tell how dark it actually was at the time

Where do you live?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Super Dude posted:

Where do you live?

City 17, apparently.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

broken clock opsec posted:

City 17, apparently.

lol I was thinking that too. Half-Life 2 irl.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also known as "New Jersey."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

Where do you live?

Vancouver. They're building condos there so it looks like a mess right now, but the ones behind me in that pic go for $800,000 for 1,000 sq feet.

broken clock opsec posted:

City 17, apparently.

It pretty much is. Here's the tallest building in town, dead ringer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

The Priv is certainly polarizing.

I think the funniest thing about Ron's review was the BlackBerry fanbois who registered accounts to defend BlackBerry's honor in the comments. Such a rabid fanbase.

People who like the physical keyboards really like physical keyboards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Moto X 2014. Is there an easy way to reverse the stereo channels when I use headphones?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a Moto X 2014. Is there an easy way to reverse the stereo channels when I use headphones?

Put the headphones on backwards?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm already doing that. So I want to make the audio switch, which I thought could be done through software.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If it is possible, you'd likely have to root to do it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My Maps updated to 9.17.1, and I now have the measuring tool, but not the ability to download areas. I'm on the US, what gives?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

LastInLine posted:

CLAM DOWN is right, you cannot beat the Tylt Vu.

I bought one of the IKEA chargers and it works just fine; its got 3 qi pads and a 2.1A USB, and happily charges my nexus 5,6 and 7 at the same time.

Cost ~80 bucks, which seemed steep but a lot less than 3 Tylts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Well the repair-bill for my Nexus 5 came in at £55. That's on top of £35 for fixing the cracked back cover of my old N4 I'm reselling. I think when it comes time to replace my N5 in a few years I'll just get a brand-new phone under a real warranty instead of refurb/ebay, because it seems like I've just been really lucky up to this point.

Also here's a general question for the future: I mainly go for Nexus phones/tablets because they're just basic Android and I hear things about other mobile phone makers doing stuff like holding back updates, using their own versions of the Android OS that aren't as good or limit your options, and just awkward/bad support in general. Is this accurate or just dumb bullshit?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 14, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you care about getting the latest OS in a timely fashion, and you want good support for the life of the device (generally regarded as around 2 years), then you want a Nexus device. If you want a (potentially gimmick) specific feature and you're willing to sacrifice OS updates (not super unreasonable) then you're welcome to consider a non-Nexus device. Malware and such is a pretty small concern on any device, but remember that non-Nexus devices are adding their own software features on top of Android. That increases the vulnerable surface area for attacks, they almost never fix bugs that Google has missed. It's a trade off, and it's a personal choice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DemonMage posted:

they almost never fix bugs that Google has missed

Sometimes they introduce them (hello Samsung)

Though it's not necessarily something users will notice, and if they do they'll probably blame the app that ran into the issue

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The Sony Concept ROM of Android 6 is working out really well in terms of updates. I've only had it for about 2 weeks but I've already had two updates to it putting in new features, and one update included the November security update, which I got before it arrived OTA on my Nexus 7. Why every manufacturer isn't just doing this I don't know.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blitter posted:

I bought one of the IKEA chargers and it works just fine; its got 3 qi pads and a 2.1A USB, and happily charges my nexus 5,6 and 7 at the same time.

Cost ~80 bucks, which seemed steep but a lot less than 3 Tylts.

I really didn't like the IKEA chargers. I tried all the varieties (I think--the pad, the lamp, and the table insert) and all of them were really tough to place accurately. They had LED charging indicators but were too close to the coils to be visible when the device was actually on them and were extremely picky about placement. On both a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 6 (but especially the N6) it was really easy to simply miss the charging surface altogether or catch just the edge of it and have the charge indicator come on only to disappear a second later.

Maybe this is how all plate-style Qi chargers are, I don't know, but compared to the toss and forget nature of the Vu where you don't have to aim at all, the charge indicator is visible, and the phone's notification LED and screen are visible from any angle, I just found the IKEA products very underwhelming, especially for the price.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This guy got Samsunged, but in a good way!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/paris-attacks-mobile-phone-saved-mans-life-outside-stade-de-france-20151114-gkz3ok.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shooting Samsungs is a good use for them IMO

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So after owning smartphones since 2007 I've finally managed to kill one. Dropped my two month old Moto X Style on the floor and shattered the screen. So back to Motorola it goes for some fixing.

In the meantime I bought a cheap phone so I'm not completely cut off from the world.

5' 720p screen, 1,3 GHz quadcore processor, 1gb of ram, 16 GB of storage. Pretty decent for just 120€.
Best thing is the name though.
I am now the proud owner of a Wiko Rainbow Jam :haw:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pierson posted:

Also here's a general question for the future: I mainly go for Nexus phones/tablets because they're just basic Android and I hear things about other mobile phone makers doing stuff like holding back updates, using their own versions of the Android OS that aren't as good or limit your options, and just awkward/bad support in general. Is this accurate or just dumb bullshit?

It's a bit of a mixed bag, generally speaking if getting updates as fast as possible is your number one priority then Nexus phones are your best bet. As someone else said, other manufacturers sometimes introduce bugs in their builds or make changes that don't entirely make sense. On the other side of the coin though, they often add features long before they come to Nexus phones(native visual voicemail support just debuted on Nexus for example, while it's been on other Android builds for a long time) and fix bugs like the sad state of Bluetooth prior to 4.3 or the memory leak on Lollipop. Basically, like everything Android it's a give and take that depends entirely on your tastes and priorities.

Generally speaking you can't go wrong with most Android flagship phones nowadays. More so in your case since you're not subjected to the mess that are US carriers, which as the last few pages of this thread
can attest to, not even the Nexus phones are entirely safe from. A few years ago Nexus phones were head and shoulders above every other manufacturer but the playing field has evened out since.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I bought a Nexus 5x from Google, great phone, blah blah blah. Anyhow my question is: If I buy a (properly made) USB-A to C cable, can I use 5V 1-2A chargers to charge it safely? I have a car charger and a Anker battery that I'd like to still use with the 5x; I don't care if they don't do the USB-C rapid charging.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
So I cracked the screen on my Moto X a week ago and have been looking at alternatives to getting it fixed. Reading online and through this thread, it looks like there aren't really any good options for smaller phones these days - the Sony Z3C and upcoming Z5C are the only ones I've found recommended. Should I bother upgrading? My Moto X has served me well and I won't mind spending the $150 to fix it, but I would rather put that toward a good new phone if that's an option. Is there anything I'm missing?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IT BEGINS posted:

So I cracked the screen on my Moto X a week ago and have been looking at alternatives to getting it fixed. Reading online and through this thread, it looks like there aren't really any good options for smaller phones these days - the Sony Z3C and upcoming Z5C are the only ones I've found recommended. Should I bother upgrading? My Moto X has served me well and I won't mind spending the $150 to fix it, but I would rather put that toward a good new phone if that's an option. Is there anything I'm missing?

By all accounts, the z5c seems to be a great phone.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Require More Fire posted:

So I bought a Nexus 5x from Google, great phone, blah blah blah. Anyhow my question is: If I buy a (properly made) USB-A to C cable, can I use 5V 1-2A chargers to charge it safely? I have a car charger and a Anker battery that I'd like to still use with the 5x; I don't care if they don't do the USB-C rapid charging.

Yes you can. I am doing that very thing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

What gen Moto X? Another option is that you can almost certainly get a new 2013 for that, and new/newish 2014 ones are right around $200 last I checked. You could sell your broken screen one for at least $50 most likely, too.

For smaller phones, the two you mentioned are the only ones that are small and under 5" screen. The newest Moto G, Nexus 5X, and Galaxy S6 are all 5-5.2", which is otherwise about the smallest you'll get.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
lol even more OnePlus shenanigans.

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/EFSespinkwS

The USB-C cables that OnePlus sells are incorrectly specced. This loving company...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Lol at whoever buys a Oneplus phone despite so many red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

RVProfootballer posted:

What gen Moto X? Another option is that you can almost certainly get a new 2013 for that, and new/newish 2014 ones are right around $200 last I checked. You could sell your broken screen one for at least $50 most likely, too.

For smaller phones, the two you mentioned are the only ones that are small and under 5" screen. The newest Moto G, Nexus 5X, and Galaxy S6 are all 5-5.2", which is otherwise about the smallest you'll get.

Got the 2013 version. Hmm. Probably it's just worth it to get it repaired at this point. The Sony phones look pretty nice but aren't enough of an upgrade to warrant me spending $400+ on them. Hopefully in a couple years the phablet craze will have subsided and I'll have some more to choose from :)