Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??

I want to know too. This thread made me play through again twice to try to find the places I always get stuck and remember them. The big one for me is remembering to go back to the ice beam room one I get power bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Ralp posted:

I want to know too. This thread made me play through again twice to try to find the places I always get stuck and remember them. The big one for me is remembering to go back to the ice beam room one I get power bombs.

what's in the ice beam room after you get power bombs?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

what's in the ice beam room after you get power bombs?

Crocomire, basically. The rest of Norfair.

In the corridor leading to the ice beam room, you have to speed sprint past the shutters that come down, and then just before the door you bust through the floor on top of some very conspicuous power bomb tiles. The game is saying "hey, remember to come back and power bomb this floor!" but I forget and just wind up wandering all around.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im gonna replay zero mission, because i really loving love that game, and any hope for another mainline 2d metroid is lost

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in all honesty if a sequel to axiom verge came out and fixed the issues (had less dumb weapons and useless upgrades, more interesting mobility/hacky stuff) i would Purchase The poo poo out of it

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

im gonna replay zero mission, because i really loving love that game, and any hope for another mainline 2d metroid is lost

It's the best Metroid imho. Consider that Super Metroid doesn't have the badass Kraid's Lair theme.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

It's the best Metroid imho. Consider that Super Metroid doesn't have the badass Kraid's Lair theme.

Zero mission is good but your smoking crack if you think it's better than Super.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Ralp posted:

Crocomire, basically. The rest of Norfair.

In the corridor leading to the ice beam room, you have to speed sprint past the shutters that come down, and then just before the door you bust through the floor on top of some very conspicuous power bomb tiles. The game is saying "hey, remember to come back and power bomb this floor!" but I forget and just wind up wandering all around.

i ask because im playing super metroid and that's exactly where i am and i was just thinking, where the gently caress is crocomire, i don't really want to do maridia right now. so thanks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i enjoy zero mission more than super. i just dont like the controls or how you feel in super metroid at all lol

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad you asked because now I will definitely remember it. Let's see, after Crocomire I think you get the grappling beam and can swing on over to the wrecked ship to get the gravity suit, and then it's into Maridia to get space jump and plasma beam, then back to Norfair to fight Ridley.

In Training posted:

Zero mission is good but your smoking crack if you think it's better than Super.
It's really hard to rank super, zero, and prime but I think Zero Mission is better than super because it's a little easier to figure out where to go (which is insanely hard in super until you've played it enough to memorize) and made the bosses a lot harder (Ridley is the only SM boss who is challenging really). The grappling beam is really fun but otherwise I feel like Zero Mission is a little tighter and a bit more polished. They learned from all the mistakes they made when they went from Super to Fusion and fixed it all.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i already got the gravity suit before the grappling beam due to sequence breaking :smugbird:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i also mock balled to get super missiles and ice beam as well. fwm.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

i already got the gravity suit before the grappling beam due to sequence breaking :smugbird:

then you don't even need to fight crocomire.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

then you don't even need to fight crocomire.

im going to any way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

im going to any way.

What did he ever do to you

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

he tries to push you into a spiky wall

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

What did he ever do to you

he scared me when i was small

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

i also mock balled to get super missiles and ice beam as well. fwm.

dammit. I almost added a little note saying unless it's probably possible to mockball under the ice beam shutters??? I said earlier in this thread that I don't mind using a keyboard, but I have never ever managed to do the mockball trick.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

he scared me when i was small

the skeleton coming out of the spikes and flying around..i nearly shat myself

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I think Zero Mission is a pale imitation of Metroid 1.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Not sure where to go after getting the x ray scope, i think i need the gravity suit but don't know where it is. I wish there was a way to fast travel

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Caithness posted:

jesus christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Not sure where to go after getting the x ray scope, i think i need the gravity suit but don't know where it is. I wish there was a way to fast travel

lmao where are you by? what bosses have ya killed

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmao where are you by? what bosses have ya killed

I beat the croco dude and I have the full map for Norfair but cant go into the part with the lava

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Caithness posted:

what the hell.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I beat the croco dude and I have the full map for Norfair but cant go into the part with the lava

Go up from the xray place

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

if you've got the grapple beam and super speed, you can access a new area. you should also have some power bombs or be able to find a few. try going back to your ship and explore a bit

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Bobnumerotres posted:

jesus christ

rediscover posted:

what the hell.

It may just be Stockholm syndrome, but my favorite part of the first game was getting lost because multiple areas looked the same and having to bomb every floor and wall. In Zero Mission it's just always too obvious where you're supposed to go next.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the worst part of metroid and super metroid is getting lost and being so frustrated you're pixel hunting and you enjoy that?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Metroid 1 has this weird atmosphere that is partially due to system limitations that the newer games lack, and that's why I still love it, even though it has some serious gameplay flaws

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

been playing super as well, i'm up to maridia which is always the part of the game where my memory fails me and i end up wasting time a bit.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've ever 100%ed super metroid so I'm going back to Maridia to hunt for powerups

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

the missile tank in maridia that you have to shine spark upwards between like 5 platforms to get gave me ptsd

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

i could never shine spark on metroid fusion but its easy as hell on super metroid, i wonder if my gameboy has broken controls or something

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
African AIDS cum.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

African AIDS cum.

It's more potent than other varieties

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Average Bear posted:

African AIDS cum.

?

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

rediscover posted:

the missile tank in maridia that you have to shine spark upwards between like 5 platforms to get gave me ptsd

i got it on my 2nd try this run

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am starting to think part of why Maridia is bad is because it has upgrades laid out right in front of you, tempting you, but are all a pain in the rear end to actually collect. by the time I finish looping the gently caress back around through the one-way passages I don't remember where I was even trying to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm one missile tank short and I have no idea where it is!!!!!

• Locked thread