Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
One simple rule for not loving me up:
https://www.sfbike.org/news/bike-lanes-and-right-turns/

No one follows it. Apparently they will fail you on your driving test today if you do it wrong, but as you never need to be re-tested, no one over 25 knows about it.
Owwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PenisMonkey posted:

I just carry a George Zimmerman with me to deal out justice when necessary.

I'm shocked there isn't a "Zimmerman Special Edition KelTec PF9"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

No one follows it. Apparently they will fail you on your driving test today if you do it wrong, but as you never need to be re-tested, no one over 25 knows about it.
Owwww.

Unless, of course, it's a curb-separated bike lane.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nm posted:

Owwww.

Around Peoria the (few) bike lanes are solid until they get to an intersection where they become dashed and a sign tells drivers to look out for bikes before merging and turning.

Of course, I never see cyclists on these roads, so I don't know how they work in practice, but I never had trouble figuring out what do do in that situation.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dick Trauma posted:

Depending on the station there are not necessarily always going to be cops there.

I always heard drive to the ER entrance at a hospital, because there's always going to be someone there, and their security is actually allowed to intervene.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

corgski posted:

I always heard drive to the ER entrance at a hospital, because there's always going to be someone there, and their security is actually allowed to intervene.

And unlike police stations, hospitals are generally well-signed for obvious reasons, so you can find it even if you don't know exactly where you're going.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

corgski posted:

Yeah that'd also be pretty intimidating. Like "this guy I'm following is so confident that he assumed I'd need an E.R. once he fucks me up so maybe I'll just go home."

That's what I'd imagine anyway, right before the dude stabs me and drives off. Either way E.R. was a good choice!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My solution is to crank the handbrake in the middle of the intersection, and as my car spins around swing my hand cannon out the window and pop six rounds into the rear end in a top hat's radiator.

Tailgate that, motherfucker.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
*sick guitar riff*

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

xzzy posted:

My solution is to crank the handbrake in the middle of the intersection, and as my car spins around swing my hand cannon out the window and pop six rounds into the rear end in a top hat's radiator.

Tailgate that, motherfucker.

I dare anyone to tailgate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHj8IavEjk

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The highway near my house has two ramps everyone loves the blue ramp and hates the purple ramp. The yellow road has about 0 cars per hour, and the red road has a million cars per hour, all traffic flows east (er right) in the afternoon. The distance between the two ramps, according to google, is the same 0.8 miles with either the surface roads or highway.

The blue ramp, has two lanes, and it used to be configured with the left lane turn only, and the right as a straight or right turn only. This lead a long rear end line of cars piling up on the highway almost to the purple ramp because everyone needs to turn left, nobody will take the earlier exit (1 whole extra stop light!) and if you were truely an rear end in a top hat, you could just blast past everyone on the shoulder, make a right, go down a 1/4 mile and make a u-turn in a desperate attempt to beat the traffic still stuck on the ramp. I used to sit through 4 cycles each night trying to turn left since the backup was never far enough to be seen around the curve and driving a mile to the next exit kinda sucked.

Fortunately, the city decided to repave and repaint the intersection, and now both lanes can turn left. The lovely part is the highway still backs up extremely far because people don't realize you can now turn left from the second lane. I kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat, but I will happily blast past the line of parked cars , which means I end up being the first car turning left in the right lane. Thus far, every time I have done this, it has lead to the car in the left lane angrily racing and cutting me off as well as a couple people who cant maintain their lane in the turn (but it used to be 1 left! why cant I plow into the right lane RIGHT HERE?!?). Simply put, my horn and brakes are getting a work out, I feel like an rear end in a top hat, my car is probably in more danger, and I just don't care. People need to read the loving signage and realize what I am doing is 100% legal now.

As an added bonus, that to a mega church at the corner, there are police who direct traffic several times a week and they have happily watched me do this maneuver. But gently caress having cops direct traffic for the church. . . the signals are still going, but the officers get out of sync and tell people to stop on green or go on red which just leads to a poo poo ton of confusion and stupidity.

TLDR; The city added a second left turn lane and drivers are still too ignorant to use the extra lane thus leading to cars still stopping on the highway. I am also an rear end in a top hat blasting by a line of cars on the shoulder in order to take advantage of the new extra turning lane. Comedy with angry drivers has ensued every time.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 15, 2015

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

The highway near my house has two ramps everyone loves the blue ramp and hates the purple ramp. The yellow road has about 0 cars per hour, and the red road has a million cars per hour, all traffic flows east (er right) in the afternoon. The distance between the two ramps, according to google, is the same 0.8 miles with either the surface roads or highway.

The blue ramp, has two lanes, and it used to be configured with the left lane turn only, and the right as a straight or right turn only. This lead a long rear end line of cars piling up on the highway almost to the purple ramp because everyone needs to turn left, nobody will take the earlier exit (1 whole extra stop light!) and if you were truely an rear end in a top hat, you could just blast past everyone on the shoulder, make a right, go down a 1/4 mile and make a u-turn in a desperate attempt to beat the traffic still stuck on the ramp. I used to sit through 4 cycles each night trying to turn left since the backup was never far enough to be seen around the curve and driving a mile to the next exit kinda sucked.

Fortunately, the city decided to repave and repaint the intersection, and now both lanes can turn left. The lovely part is the highway still backs up extremely far because people don't realize you can now turn left from the second lane. I kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat, but I will happily blast past the line of parked cars , which means I end up being the first car turning left in the right lane. Thus far, every time I have done this, it has lead to the car in the left lane angrily racing and cutting me off as well as a couple people who cant maintain their lane in the turn (but it used to be 1 left! why cant I plow into the right lane RIGHT HERE?!?). Simply put, my horn and brakes are getting a work out, I feel like an rear end in a top hat, my car is probably in more danger, and I just don't care. People need to read the loving signage and realize what I am doing is 100% legal now.

As an added bonus, that to a mega church at the corner, there are police who direct traffic several times a week and they have happily watched me do this maneuver. But gently caress having cops direct traffic for the church. . . the signals are still going, but the officers get out of sync and tell people to stop on green or go on red which just leads to a poo poo ton of confusion and stupidity.

Hey could you TLDR next time?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I just drove from south of Sweden to Berlin and back. First time on autobahn. It's pretty amazing how well it works, and how pretty much everyone moves to the right after passing, always use indicators and don't do sudden stupid poo poo. Of course there are exceptions, but it's pretty predictable. Then I got back to Denmark, (and Sweden) and instantly know that no speed limit would never work, because people drive like morons. In Denmark (like in Sweden) they have massive problems with middle lane hoggers.

I must say, cruising at 160-170km/h with predictable traffic ahead is a pretty special feeling.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
After regularly taking one of the side roads out of town at 35-45mph for the better part of a year, I'm now the rear end in a top hat who does 30mph in a 30mph zone. I got popped earlier in the week and have a $120 ticket sitting in my glove box waiting to be fought or paid.
https://youtu.be/wxGaWH_eSFw?t=90

Since then, I've made the road significantly more dangerous by following the speed limit to a T.

I get flashed, tailgated, honked at and flipped off while cars join the stack behind me. It's double yellows the whole way, so they can't do anything else about it. This guy here had enough and went around me, only to go head-on with an ambulance immediately after. Then he tailgated a bus for the next few miles.
https://youtu.be/NX-NBE846IM?t=143

And they're not wrong for doing that. The speed limit is absurdly low for the area; there are no houses or foot traffic, there are no businesses crowding the street, just a few entrances for factories and housing developments spaced 1/4 mile apart or greater. It's for all purposes a country road, and it even goes up to 45mph as it passes a park. The street I live on is 30mph, and it's got houses every 100 feet. The road one block away has a few houses and businesses along it (one of them being the police department) and it's set at 40mph. And this road has comparatively nothing on it, and it's set at 30mph. I feel that most people will drive at a speed they feel is reasonable and prudent for the conditions, while cities use low speed limits as a cheap way to satisfy safety concerns as well as an easy way to generate revenue when needed.

As a stroke of serendipidy, I caught a news story out of Grand Rapids, MI that day talking about how speed limits arbitrarily set too low are legally unenforceable. There are laws on the books specifying that speed limits should be based on the results of a traffic engineering or speed study, which usually says you set the limit close to the 85th percentile speed. After running radar, the reporter found that 0% of the drivers were following the speed limit and the real median was around 40. This included police vehicles, city vehicles, as well as bus drivers hauling children.

Illinois has the same laws, and I've submitted a FOIA request to the city to see the engineering study for that section of road. Since that stretch of road is (by definition) outside of an urban district, not in a residence district and not in a school zone, the speed limit should be no less than 35. Court date for the ticket is in a month, so I've got some time to stew in my self-righteousness.

code:
...the local authority or park district shall determine and declare by ordinance 
a reasonable and safe absolute maximum speed limit at such place or along such part or zone, which:
        (1) Decreases the limit within an urban district, but not to less than 20 miles per hour; or
        (2) Increases the limit within an urban district, but not to more than 55 miles per hour; or
        (3) Decreases the limit outside of an urban district, but not to less than 35 miles per hour,
 except as otherwise provided in subparagraph 4 of this paragraph[school zone]; or
        (4) Decreases the limit within a residence district, but not to less than 25 miles per hour,
 except as otherwise provided in subparagraph 1 of this paragraph[urban district].
TL;DR My asperger's leads me to believe I can get away with speeding, in the meantime I will be a cock to everyone else on the road because I'm butthurt about it and want to prove a point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vast swaths of the Chicago suburbs have that same sort of problem, roads that weren't designed to be arteries get used as arteries because there's no other options, and they all have a 30 or 35 speed limit.

So instead of doing anything about it, people drive 45 and cops just write tickets whenever they got a quota to fill.

Life in Illinois. :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've completely stopped caring about people behind me who think I'm going too slow.

Yes, I am going the speed limit plus maybe 5kph due to speedo inaccuracy. Yes, the speed limit for this road really should be higher. No, I am not willing to get a ticket just because you want to go faster.

I'll drive in the lane furthest to the right whenever possible, and I'll try to leave plenty of space for a legal overtaking maneuver. But beyond that, gently caress 'em.

And especially gently caress the douchebags who try to undertake when I have just finished passing a semi on the motorway, and I am just about to pull back to the right after establishing a safe following distance for those 20+ tons of metal death. I was always taught to only pull back in front of a big truck once I could see both headlights in my rear view mirror, so that's what I'm going to do. gently caress you if you think changing lanes right in front of their bumper to undertake is OK in any way. I'll calmly complete my lane change, they can figure out how to handle their own fuckup.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I've had a couple of interesting experiences in the last few days. Now keep in mind I'm in Australia so most things are backwards. Cruising down the right lane before I turn off to get petrol on the other side of the highway I pass a t junction that merges onto the highway. As I reach the merging lane a person turns into it from the right and then instead of waiting for me to pass before they merge which is the rule they decide to continue on and merge regardless. Queue me slamming on the brakes as they made it clear they weren't going to let me continue on. They continued to do 50 until I turned off 500 meters down the road. When it's a 80 kph highway don't decide to merge into the traffic already on the road.

The other thing I've come to hate recently is rear fog lights. I get that it's been relatively misty and sometimes visibility has been less than 50 metres at times. Regardless there's no need to have rear fogs on. It makes it look like you are continuously breaking and further to that when the mist clears you're left staring into satans areshole as it beams bright red towards you at all times.

Edit: Kozmonaut, I get where you are coming from. Where I drive it tends to be tradesmen in one of two ways who undercut. They're either in a ute and duck into the gap you've created as you go to put the indicator on or they're vans that do the same poo poo. If they'd given me three seconds I would have been out of their way completely.

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 16, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had to go back up to Big Bear this weekend, so I hooked up my GoPro in case I saw some poo poo. It was actually fairly normal this time, except for this on my way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJQQ4dFv90

edit -

seems secure.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 16, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

I've completely stopped caring about people behind me who think I'm going too slow.

Yes, I am going the speed limit plus maybe 5kph due to speedo inaccuracy. Yes, the speed limit for this road really should be higher. No, I am not willing to get a ticket just because you want to go faster.

As one of the people stuck behind you, I'm fine with that. If you're afraid of a ticket you're well within your rights to stick to the law. If I'm on a multi-lane highway I will tailgate the poo poo out of some rear end in a top hat blocking the passing lane but if it's some back road then the onus is on me to get around you. If there's no one around and we're on a huge straightaway but its still a double yellow because the government plays to the lowest common denominator, maybe I'll break the law and safely pass in the oncoming lane. If I'm not feeling it I'll just slow down and chill out behind you because if there's only one lane you're not doing anything wrong no matter how much of a rush I'm in.

I guess I'm lucky to live in an area where both the cops and the speed cameras don't care until you're 11mph over the limit. If you want to make a point about the limit being too low on a specific road, make sure you do it when there's a cop behind you. I bet they love that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was in the passing lane this morning sort of stuck behind a car and a semi, even though the lane was moving at 70 in a 55, and passing most other traffic. rear end in a top hat in a pickup truck rides right up my tailpipe as if I'm going too slow, so the second I have an opening in the middle lane I throw on my signal and change lanes, and he did that rear end in a top hat thing where he was going to undertake me the second he had the same opening. Because he was jumping the gun and I don't drive like a maniac, he had to swerve back in to the left lane. Less than a car length off my bumper.

I didn't want to be around an rear end in a top hat like that so I back way down to give him room to undertake the car and semi, and he just sat there behind them at a reasonable distance. I was like what the gently caress dude, you were in a huge goddamn reckless driving hurry literally ten seconds ago. So after about a minute of this nonsense with a clear middle lane and three jerks in the left, I undertook the whole lot of them and the semi of all people sped up to 80 just to try and prevent it.

People crazy on the freeway at 7AM.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The word is "overtake" FYI.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I've got a good story. Over the weekend someone decided to remove part of the front of their Jeep Liberty with the back of my truck.

It was around 12:15am on Sunday and I was driving around in my truck with my girlfriend. I was going through an intersection and when I had almost cleared it my truck shakes. It was kind of a weird feeling, no sudden jolt, there was just a bang and I could feel the impact move my truck a little. My girlfriend thought I had just run over a curb.

When I looked in my rearview I saw the black (or just dark colored) Liberty stop in the middle of the intersection then turn down the road I had just come from. Unfortunately the road I had driven onto was very narrow and I could not turn around quickly. By the time I got turned around he was gone, I dove down the road a bit but there was no point, too many streets branching off. Piece of poo poo was probably drunk.

At least when I got back to the intersection a cop pulled up (happened to be there) just as I was taking out my phone to call. I gave them the best description I could and got a police report. Never found anyone which didn't surprise me.

It does make me happy to think that, judging by the bits left behind, this rear end in a top hat now has more damage to his Jeep than my truck is worth. I'd say Kastein's rule of "beaters always win" holds up here.

Keep a look out for a dark colored Liberty with heavy front right corner damage in the Danbury CT area (~two people that live around there).

Liberty bits (mostly)

I guess my truck "won"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bizwank posted:

The word is "overtake" FYI.

I've seen "undertake" used as slang for passing on the right.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtaking#Overtaking_on_the_inside

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just saw a guy run three red lights in a row this morning. I was ecstatic for a brief period when I saw blue flashing lights after he ran the third, but it turned out it was just a... what's the name. Red van towing a trailer full of warning lights. Looks like this:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yesterday on the way into the office, some dude in a small brown sedan was driving like it was Mario Karts on Interstate 10. He made a move from the car-pool lane (he was alone) to the far right lane (5 lanes plus the carpool lane), zig zagged through traffic in the right couple of lanes for a bit, then went all the way from the right directly to the #1 lane (next to car pool lane). I was shaking my head and mumbling about idiot drivers when a white Explorer made me happy by sliding in front of me (#1 lane).. with his blue & reds on, and he then jumped into the carpool lane to chase down Mario and pull him over.

Woo :toot:

Too lazy to pull dash-cam video since it wouldn't really show much except for the Highway Patrol driving in front of me to go get him.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I was sitting at the light headed the direction of the scribbled red arrow on the map below.

This portion of 121 is being widened and the service road is currently under construction. Two lanes on the southbound service road right now, and the intersection with eastbound Freeport is pretty messed up. This morning the light was yellow for the Freeport traffic as an 18-wheeler headed east rolled through and turned right onto the service road as the light turned red.

I guess everyone behind him was tired of waiting so one, two, three... four then FIVE more cars followed him through the intersection. I was second in line at the light, the person in front of me just sat there and watched people roll through while they had a green. Not sure if in shock from the stupidity, or on their phone not watching the light.

gently caress Texas drivers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Almost run over twice yesterday in a single block. Crossed a side street and a city pickup decided it would be faster to just run me over rather than stop for the stop sign. I was halfway across the street when he approached so there was no excuse. I had to jump back and then he stomped on the brakes. I yelled at him and walked on. At the next crossing (a freeway on ramp) there's only a single right turn lane. That driver stopped as I crossed with the walk signal, but as usual people in the lane next to him got impatient and made their own right turn lane. A big SUV tore around the waiting car and almost went right over me. He was close enough that I was able to reach out and put my hands on his hood. I yelled "TRY WAITING GODDAMIT" and he flipped me off and the instant there was one inch of clearance peeled out behind me, only to immediately stop because the onramp as usual is backed up all the way to the street.

Walking to work these last few years has left me hating pretty much everyone. Car drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, other pedestrians. No one has any common sense left, or even a sense of self-preservation.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The Mandingo posted:

I was sitting at the light headed the direction of the scribbled red arrow on the map below.

This portion of 121 is being widened and the service road is currently under construction. Two lanes on the southbound service road right now, and the intersection with eastbound Freeport is pretty messed up. This morning the light was yellow for the Freeport traffic as an 18-wheeler headed east rolled through and turned right onto the service road as the light turned red.

I guess everyone behind him was tired of waiting so one, two, three... four then FIVE more cars followed him through the intersection. I was second in line at the light, the person in front of me just sat there and watched people roll through while they had a green. Not sure if in shock from the stupidity, or on their phone not watching the light.

At least they finished that one side so you no longer have idiot or rear end in a top hat drivers going the wrong way down the road to bypass the backup on freeport.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

The one thing I liked about driving through Texas was all of those frontage roads. I missed my entrance to the freeway but it was no big deal, I just kept driving another mile.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

The one thing I liked about driving through Texas was all of those frontage roads. I missed my entrance to the freeway but it was no big deal, I just kept driving another mile.

Frontage roads are nice, but I thought frontage roads are everywhere. . . What I dislike, that I only remember seeing in Texas, is dual lane bi-directional frontage roads. You get the joy of flying down an off ramp at 50mph and hoping that the car heading straight at you will recognize the stop sign, and the car headed the same way in your blind spot needs to see and comprehend the yield markers on the pavement. Nope, I don't trust people enough to do that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Frontage roads are nice, but I thought frontage roads are everywhere. . . What I dislike, that I only remember seeing in Texas, is dual lane bi-directional frontage roads. You get the joy of flying down an off ramp at 50mph and hoping that the car heading straight at you will recognize the stop sign, and the car headed the same way in your blind spot needs to see and comprehend the yield markers on the pavement. Nope, I don't trust people enough to do that.

Eh, there aren't many accidents on those, thanks to them only being used in the most rural parts of the state. They get switched to one-way if the area grows. I remember the frontage roads in New Braunfels being bi-directional when I was a child, and they are all one-way now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was riding home last night from wherever, and ended up stopping at a really busy intersection on a red, in one of two left turn lanes. The light for the cross street is a slooooooooooow yellow, so usually 3-10 cars all try to squeeze into it depending how fast traffic is going. Last night a ton of cars squeezed through on the yellow, all going left, the light turned red for them.

But I waited, with a strange feeling of suspicion.

Two seconds after it was full red and my direction had green another car came barreling through the intersection, almost hitting the guy in the lane next to me who DIDN'T have a premonition of dread.

Sometimes a little extra caution is a saving grace.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a turtle in the road, saw a guy stop and walk up to it, flip it over and leave. I took the critter to a pond and hoped that the guy gets eaten by turtles or something. I've seen people hit animals on purpose, but this just struck me as far more cruel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

:negative:

No note, naturally. Just waiting to see if the parking lot cameras have a resolution worth a drat but I'm not holding out for it.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Parked my car, was still sitting in it when some moron in a Passat reversed into it. And then sped off like nobody saw. Got your plates motherfucker, reported etc etc.

Mounting looks cracked (in the dark, I'll check again tomorrow) so probably new bumper.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Staying on your side of the road is hard.

http://gfycat.com/VelvetyPleasedAustralianfreshwatercrocodile

Also, whilst its not quite the people you share the road with, its worryingly common to find faulty temporary lights on rural roads around my part of the country.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Some tosser in a Ford Transit pulling a triple axle trailer loaded with sand tried to not let me join the motorway in a normal fashion.

This onramp is very long even by Dutch standards, it starts from a 80 zoned road and feeds into a 100 zone on the motorway.
Usually I don't need more than the 200m of slip road to get up to 110, and the merge lane itself is a good 350m long.
So plenty of space to overtake slower traffic in the motorway.

But this guy was having none of it. He was doing well over 110 on my speedometer when I entered the merge lane. He can legally do 90, or 80 if his maximum gvw is over 3.5 tonnes.

The transit belched black smoke as the driver strangled the poor little diesel for every kW it was worth.

So gently caress driving in that cloud of crap, I floored it, turns out that again 55kW is plenty to out run a lovely van hauling way more than it is probably allowed to.

So I merged in front of the van with plenty of room to spare. Looking in the rearview mirror, I see a strangely familiar face.
Remember that idiot I had a stupid road rage bitch fight with a few weeks ago? Well there he was sitting in his new van, completely enraged.

I rolled down the window, waved at him and floored it once again. gently caress that guy. No way I am letting him get me that angry again. Doing 160+ for a few km made him go away really quickly.

At home I looked up the plates from his old van, which is listed as "revoked, awaiting technical inspection". So I guess that one will be up for sale in the next impound auction, provided someone will either export it or pay to have it inspected and reregistered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

The scene: this morning on my commute. Freeway onramp, the side-by side kind where the highway and road both split off a lane and drivers from each merge into the other. Light traffic.

From the highway, a semi truck followed at a safe distance by a red Corolla. From the road, a silver mustang, with me a safe distance behind. The mustang is positioned to neatly merge in behind the semi. There is plenty of room behind him for the Corolla to merge without changing speed. Both put their respective turn signals on.

Naturally, the lady in the Corolla immediately guns it to about 3' off the semi truck's bumper, since she can't have anyone get ahead of her. The mustang barely avoids merging into her, and after a moment backs off to merge behind her instead. He has failed to recognize that this is now a matter of honor. Corolla brakes, presumably to keep the mustang from outsmarting her.

At this point she's back up against the semi since highway traffic was slower than the ramp and I've already gotten over, so I slow down enough to let the mustang in ahead of me. Corolla lady had waited too long now, but proceeds to drive across the lines and force her way onto the ramp going back up to the roads anyway.

SoCal is a nice place to drive.