Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spergatory posted:

So to all the coders in the thread; is coding really this hard to do/easy to gently caress up, or is Nicalis staffed by actual monkeys?

It's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Literally all they had to do was load up the patch and then try starting a Greed mode run.

It's not like it's some kind of obscure or well buried bug.

Tyrone seems like a cool guy but I really hope that Ed moves on to someone halfway competent for his next BoI title (if there is one). Third time's a charm I guess.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Spergatory posted:

So to all the coders in the thread; is coding really this hard to do/easy to gently caress up, or is Nicalis staffed by actual monkeys?

Coding is really easy to gently caress up, but that's not really asking the same thing as if the product was tested thoroughly enough before release. Games aren't released in playable states because the coders working on them simply never messed up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's more that they pushed out a patch without doing enough Quality Assurance. You can gently caress up all you want in a dev environment but as soon as it's customer facing you best be sure that dumb bugs aren't showing up the moment you start it up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Anecdotal evidence as a Not Actual Coder: Every time i changed something in that tiny simple overlay i wrote in LUA that displays your chance for an Angel/Devil room in BoI, i somehow managed to introduce two or three bugs i had to weed out again first.

Even if it was something as simple as changing the color of a displayed value.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Did the patch deal with greeds super high health? I still have a few people I need to kill him with.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

HenryEx posted:

Anecdotal evidence as a Not Actual Coder: Every time i changed something in that tiny simple overlay i wrote in LUA that displays your chance for an Angel/Devil room in BoI, i somehow managed to introduce two or three bugs i had to weed out again first.

Even if it was something as simple as changing the color of a displayed value.

Better to just code it and release it. I'm sure the users will discover bugs

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Grapplejack posted:

Did the patch deal with greeds super high health? I still have a few people I need to kill him with.

Well, it's kinda hard to tell, since you can't actually play Greed mode.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

It dealt with it, kinda.

As in, Greed Mode crashes

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Rumored Lost changes:

879 coins in the greed machine and he unlocks the Holy Mantle permanently, however it can be rerolled with the D4 ensuring that nobody except the sadistic people in this thread that like the Lost will ever actually use the D4

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Apparently the Greed mode bug is only in release, so I guess they don't test their release builds for some reason?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What was in that now deleted post?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Kamikaze doesn't hurt the player anymore

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A recap of BoI ARG poo poo in image form that I found useful since I've been gone for several hours: http://imgur.com/POX91Xi

Also that spoilered spacebar item mentioned a page or two back was actually already in the game when the other "broken" items were inaccessible, but I guess now this one has some sort of unlock/achievement tied to it and should be accessible once anyone figures out how to earn it.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
e:fb

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

A recap of BoI ARG poo poo in image form that I found useful since I've been gone for several hours: http://imgur.com/POX91Xi

Also that spoilered spacebar item mentioned a page or two back was actually already in the game when the other "broken" items were inaccessible, but I guess now this one has some sort of unlock/achievement tied to it and should be accessible once anyone figures out how to earn it.

Ha ha haha. I thought the whole "Lost Boys" thing was a joke.

Honestly a pretty cool ARG then so far. I kind of wish I wasn't halfway across the country so I could look for some missing posters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The crash apparently is not with Greed Mode, but with large boss rooms, per Edmund's twitter:

I guess that would make sense since Greed Mode takes place in what is basically a large boss room layout-wise. So if you encounter Mr. Fred in your normal mode run, the game probably will also crash then.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think the lost should start with the holy mantle. :colbert: the d4 is good.

yeah ok but let me tell you how playing the lost works now

1. start
2. hold R until you see a treasure room
3. collect treasure, reset if it is a space bar item
4. reroll, if you don't roll into the holy mantle, go to step one
5. if you get holy mantle, look for a spacebar item to replace the D4 because it is now utter garbage

alt scenario for step three is to disregard step four if you find the holy mantle in the treasure room

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The urls in that image do not work. Do you have a mirror for the voicemail?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CJacobs posted:

The crash apparently is not with Greed Mode, but with large boss rooms, per Edmund's twitter:

I guess that would make sense since Greed Mode takes place in what is basically a large boss room layout-wise. So if you encounter Mr. Fred in your normal mode run, the game probably will also crash then.

Well mega satan didn't crash me, just killed me since my fire rate was once per 10 seconds.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Ariong posted:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Oh0oPjFZKq

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ariong posted:

I didn't even try them, you might have to comb through the thread(s) about the ARG in the subreddit to see if anyone reuploaded the voicemails.

Edit: Or look in the post above this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thanks.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Azazel is no longer poo poo. As for the rest of the problems...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Are there not patch notes?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Brannock posted:

Why would there be patch notes?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Brannock posted:

-Various bug fixes.
-Look to La Luna.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Oh boy, crashed on entering the blue womb on my most epic Eden run ever. How wonderful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Brannock posted:

According to Edmund, the whole development process on Isaac is so disorganized that Edmund can't keep track of or isn't aware of some of the changes to the game. And that's not counting the numerous bugs that sometimes crawl into the patches.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Atomicated posted:

-Various bugs implemented.
-Look to La Luna.

yeah pretty much

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Brannock posted:

Closest you'll get
http://pastie.org/private/94iwib5muvk4qlaln8nfq

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'll never understand why people keep working with Nicalis, tbh

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is, the very first build that went online on Steam for Afterbirth had patch notes. There was just a text file with some of the most recent changes in your game folder.

It's been conspicuously absent from the (very swiftly) following patch and onwards.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Retro Vision got the gently caress nerfed out of it, thankfully. It only shows the effect once and the effect didn't look as strong as it was before.

Edit: Nevermind, it just took a minute + for the effect to come back. :v:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is it normal that every single run of the Head Trauma challenge has Little Horn as the first floor boss?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Welp now that the patch is out I tried to unlock The Lost on my new save and didn't get him despite no missteps.

My steps:

Died to Mulliboom as Isaac in Cellar on a seeded run (Mulliboom showed on death poster)
Died to my own bomb in Flooded Cave 1 as Maggie (Bomb showed on death poster)
Died to Mom Stomp as Judas in Necropolis II (Mom foot shown in death poster)
Died to mashing myself into Satan's back in Sheol (Satan's head shown in death poster)

I"m guessing either the seeded run for Isaac or the Flooded Caves for Maggie hosed this up somehow. Or it's a new glitch in the patch.

What are my options for cheating the unlock so I don't have to waste another hour on this?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

uXs posted:

Is it normal that every single run of the Head Trauma challenge has Little Horn as the first floor boss?

Isn't that a good thing since he kills himself?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Weirdly I had a save just before Ultra Greed and it let me load it just fine. Ultra Greed's big boss room doesn't trigger the crash for some reason. Seems like he's back to his previous difficulty, I had no trouble beating him with just one heart and semi reasonable damage as lilith without a charge from the box.

Another new bug: Secret rooms can now spawn adjacent to thin rooms. You can't bomb in from a thin room, but you can bomb out into one. I just puts you at one of the other doors and the hole doesn't appear.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Welp now that the patch is out I tried to unlock The Lost on my new save and didn't get him despite no missteps.

My steps:

Died to Mulliboom as Isaac in Cellar on a seeded run (Mulliboom showed on death poster)
Died to my own bomb in Flooded Cave 1 as Maggie (Bomb showed on death poster)
Died to Mom Stomp as Judas in Necropolis II (Mom foot shown in death poster)
Died to mashing myself into Satan's back in Sheol (Satan's head shown in death poster)

I"m guessing either the seeded run for Isaac or the Flooded Caves for Maggie hosed this up somehow. Or it's a new glitch in the patch.

What are my options for cheating the unlock so I don't have to waste another hour on this?

Get CheatEngine, and copy&paste this script into it:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<CheatTable>
  <CheatEntries>
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>102</ID>
      <Description>"Unlock The Lost"</Description>
      <LastState Activated="0"/>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>Auto Assembler Script</VariableType>
      <AssemblerScript>[ENABLE]
aobscanmodule(LOST,isaac-ng.exe,39 4C 24 28 75 58)
registersymbol(LOST)

LOST+4:
db EB 19

[DISABLE]
LOST+4:
db 75 58

unregistersymbol(LOST)
</AssemblerScript>
    </CheatEntry>
  </CheatEntries>
</CheatTable>
Activate it, and die in the game (4 times). Should unlock The Lost.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RatHat posted:

Isn't that a good thing since he kills himself?

He bombs himself sometimes but I bet dealing with the homing shots you need to hit with head trauma would suck so much

gently caress head trauma as a challenge, I've done the original challenges over three saves and I've had more fun doing Family Man than Head Trauma.