Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So with the press now Carson is bouncing between mildly disagreeing with Trump and defending Trump's statements about him (Carson)

Like, conceding about him as a kid but pushing back with a fiery "pathological does not denote incurable", or chastising the press for overstating and mischaracterizing Trump's analogy and saying "I don't believe he called me a child molester"

:eyepop:

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fried Chicken posted:

Polling indicates PA is trending red this time. It will be interesting to see if that bares out, or it will be another artifact of poor underpolling like some many other cases lately

People have been predicting PA as a swing state for the last however many elections but it hasn't gone red since 1988; I don't see it happening

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

evilweasel posted:

Your link says it's 26-13, that's a Republican supermajority.

Woops. Looks like all 39 seats are going to be in the election later in November though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Polling indicates PA is trending red this time. It will be interesting to see if that bares out, or it will be another artifact of poor underpolling like some many other cases lately

PA has been a perrennial Republican hope to pickup, along with MN. Democrats always look to AZ and GA. Barring a wave election, which 2016 does not appear to be shaping up to be, it's not going to happen. Also, usual disclaimer about general election polls being useless right now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Well, small point of correction here: single payer healthcare did pass in Vermont and the Governor did (very narrowly) win re-election on it, but he decided that the plan was too costly to implement and shelved it.

That decision cost him the support of his left flank and he announced he would not seek re-election shortly there after.

I guess we know who sent that bear after him after all.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Joementum posted:

PA has been a perrennial Republican hope to pickup, along with MN.

I thought WI was the brass ring for them, is MN seriously in their crosshairs too?

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 13, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

I don't think they will hate her more than Obama, just that they will like Rubio more than Romney.

As much as we clown on Romney being a robot, I think he was an eminently more likable and attractive candidate. He was a family guy with no major scandals, great hair and teeth, and seemed generally like a growth adult at least.

Rubio is a handsome, petulant child. I feel like he'll remind Republican voters of their ungrateful kids who never bring their grandchildren over and only comes to church on Christmas and Easter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Riptor posted:

I thought WI was the brass ring for them, is MN seriously in their crosshairs too?

WI is a legitimate pickup possibility for them. MN is the state you'll see in a bunch of "expanding the map" scenarios over the next year. George W. came very close to winning it in 2000 and 2004, so they keep thinking it's in range.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Riptor posted:

People have been predicting PA as a swing state for the last however many elections but it hasn't gone red since 1988; I don't see it happening

Fried Chicken posted:

In 2012 PA's margin of victory for Obama was lower than IA, WI, NH, NV and matched CO.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So with the press now Carson is bouncing between mildly disagreeing with Trump and defending Trump's statements about him (Carson)

Like, conceding about him as a kid but pushing back with a fiery "pathological does not denote incurable", or chastising the press for overstating and mischaracterizing Trump's analogy and saying "I don't believe he called me a child molester"

:eyepop:

He capped this with "To see him imploding before our very eyes... It's sad to watch" which is about as good a "stab, twist" as you get in politics

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
MN is basically rural vs metro when it comes to most ideologies but the state GOP is incredibly poorly run that I don't know they can get the state to flip any time soon. They keep trying to hammer messages about how devastating the DFL sweep a few years ago has been for the state when it's been the exact opposite. The only way they could possibly win with that message is if they were to acknowledge the massive racial inequalities here but... well, those don't exist to Republicans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Polling tends to trend red for PA, but they've consistently been outbalanced by turnout in the cities since the 1992 election.

And Pennsylvania just swept out a Republican majority in their state supreme court in this month's election which is a pretty good sign it's gonna stay D for president. It had been a Republican majority since at least 2005, possibly earlier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How have the feds been finding all of these threats on 4chan? Do they just monitor that site 24/7 because of how notorious it is?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

seiferguy posted:

How have the feds been finding all of these threats on 4chan? Do they just monitor that site 24/7 because of how notorious it is?

It's hooked directly up to :nsa: monitoring software that checks uploaded images against the FBI CP database and reports suspected threats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He would not. Of those states. It would be a 269-269 tie, which, lol would be hilarious.

And to go one further, Fla is only in play if it's Rubio. None of the rest of that field is going to get any better Hispanic vote in the swing states than Mittens.

In a 269-269 tie the GOP candidate wins because the House will absolutely give their guy the victory even if he lost the popular vote by millions. :ssh:

I can't see Clinton losing VA to Rubio (or anyone else) unless she's blowing the election badly and going to lose in a landslide.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

In 2012 PA's margin of victory for Obama was lower than IA, WI, NH, NV and matched CO.

sure but its recent electoral history goes like this:

1992: 45% Clinton / 36% Bush / 18 % Perot
1996: 49% Clinton / 40% Dole / 10% Perot
2000: 51% Gore / 46% Bush
2004: 51% Kerry / 49% Bush
2008: 55% Obama / 44% McCain
2012: 52% Obama / 47% Romney

It's no Rhode Island or anything but it's a reliably Democratic state in Presidential years and it looks like any sort of "reddening" is just a return to the pre-2008 Obama high. I'd expect Clinton to get like, 51% or 52%, minimum

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a 269-269 tie the GOP candidate wins because the House will absolutely give their guy the victory even if he lost the popular vote by millions. :ssh:

Unless there's a faithless elector!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see someone fall on their sword and switch to the popvote winner.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Joementum posted:

269-268 Clinton victory because one elector wrote down "Marco Rubo" would be perfect

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mdemone posted:

As far as I'm concerned Colorado should be in charge of the whole country. Legal weed already, and universal health care soon, I'd be planning my relocation right now if my career options weren't completely randomized (yay tenure-track academia).

Agreed, but only if we can quarantine Colorado Springs after evacuating the handful of decent people I know down there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Feather posted:

Now consider that $25k is roughly the hourly equivalent of a person who earns $50M/year, or about 4 times what Mitt earns every year from his portfolio of investments and businesses. That's right, if Mitt were paid on an hourly basis, he'd earn in slightly less than four hours what you earn all year. Think about that, and how detached from any of us that makes him, and anybody in his economic class.

Assume that the average person will not stoop down to pick up a coin worth less than, say, a dime laying in the street. Drawing a rough equivalence to scale for R-Money's wealth, he would not stoop down to pick up approx. $350 off of the same street.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here's a new scam made possible by the Sharing Economy. A startup backed by Mark Cuban spams Craigslist with job offers from "Rideshare Taxi Co." claiming you'll make $20 an hour and get a free Prius working for them. You sign up and at the end you're told congratulations, you just leased a Prius from us, here's a link to Uber so you can make $20 an hour with it.

quote:

The Craigslist ad seemed too good to be true.

A brand new ridesharing company offering a guaranteed $20 an hour and -- get this! -- a free Prius! All you have to do is register online, confirm you’re not bankrupt and don’t have any major driving convictions, and you’re all set to start earning.

Guess what! It was too good to be true.

In fact, “Ridesharing Taxi Co” turns out to be an entirely fake company, designed to fool people into signing up for financing on a leased Prius. There’s no ridesharing job at the end of it, just a half-assed suggestion that you might use your shiny new Prius to drive on Uber or Lyft.

So far, so typically Internet scammy. But here’s the twist -- the scam is being orchestrated not by some shady car salesman but a legitimate, venture-backed startup: Breeze.

Backed by the likes of Mark Cuban, who has acted as the company's pitch man on television, Breeze was co-founded by Jeff Pang, Ned Ryan and Charlie Fang. According to LinkedIn, CEO Pang previously worked at Uber, Homejoy, and Goldman Sachs.

Breeze made headlines here on Pando last year when it emerged that the company had begun selling car leases without actually having any cars to lease. Shortly afterwards, Uber began to deactivate users who leased cars through Breeze, although they have apparently since relented.

They shut down the scam site after getting called on it by Pando and others but still put up fake ads.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Remember when some of the right wing media/wingnut welfare crew tried to pressure the electors in 12 to put in Romney instead of Obama? And then the House based off an incorrect reading of the constitution? Good times

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That homejoy guy is really starting to seem like an enemy of humanity.

Huh I wonder if I should start a list with that pharma rear end in a top hat on it too.

Some sort of enemies list.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's hooked directly up to :nsa: monitoring software that checks uploaded images against the FBI CP database and reports suspected threats.

Sure, that gets CP. But a post like the Oregon shooter says "lol I'm gonna go shoot up a college, you'll see me in the news" seems to go unnoticed until people review it afterward. It seems they've stepped up their game.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

That homejoy guy is really starting to seem like an enemy of humanity.

Huh I wonder if I should start a list with that pharma rear end in a top hat on it too.

Some sort of enemies list.

Yeah you should do this. Also, posting said list on 4chan would probs be a second good idea :)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I really can't wait for the "tech" bubble to pop spectacularly. Most of these companies have little to do with tech at all aside from a lovely phone app meant to drive some illegal or exploitative scheme.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

And on top of that, the site has paid staff moderating all the bigger boards.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the list of the nine times we've had faithless electors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I bet the John/John elector was glad they didn't have to sign the ballots. That's embarrassing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here's a new scam made possible by the Sharing Economy. A startup backed by Mark Cuban spams Craigslist with job offers from "Rideshare Taxi Co." claiming you'll make $20 an hour and get a free Prius working for them. You sign up and at the end you're told congratulations, you just leased a Prius from us, here's a link to Uber so you can make $20 an hour with it.

They shut down the scam site after getting called on it by Pando and others but still put up fake ads.

Jesus Christ that's amazing. As much as those people can go gently caress themselves, that is an amazingly inventive scam.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS just took up the Texas abortion case. This is one where if they (presumably) side with the state, it's going to let states make access to abortion basically impossible.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Boon posted:

Yeah you should do this. Also, posting said list on 4chan would probs be a second good idea :)

Mayhaps if I record everything in my office I can also show what a great and historic visionary I was.

Nah, but as someone who works in infrastructure development its really troubling to me how slow our system is to react to labor and financial law violations because "its on a computer"

It almost seems like our ruling class is dangerously ignorant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'd say I wish this were illegal but the sharing economy pretty much exists to do illegal things and crow about how awesome they are when it comes to things like "ignoring regulation" and "putting all risk on the employees independent contractors."

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

There have been more times than that. Like in 1836 when Richard Johnson almost didn't get to be Vice President because of allegations of miscegenation, which caused 23 electors from Virginia to not vote for him. This site lists 82.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Some channer probably just pulled that poo poo at the school I work at. Just got an email saying that it's not believed to be credible, but for people to be wary just in case. The email ended with the provost basically calling them a cowardly poo poo heel lol

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

PA wasn't a battleground state and wasn't heavily campaigned in. If we believe in the effectiveness of Obama's reelection campaign overall and field/GOTV in particular, then we should assume that that effectiveness shows up as battleground states voting slightly bluer than they otherwise would. So states like NV, IA, and NH which were campaigned in heavily, would give results 1-4 points bluer than if they weren't campaigned in. It's thus reasonable to assume that in a world where Obama campaigns in PA for some reason, he wins it by 6-9 points instead of 5.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jackson Taus posted:

PA wasn't a battleground state and wasn't heavily campaigned in. If we believe in the effectiveness of Obama's reelection campaign overall and field/GOTV in particular, then we should assume that that effectiveness shows up as battleground states voting slightly bluer than they otherwise would. So states like NV, IA, and NH which were campaigned in heavily, would give results 1-4 points bluer than if they weren't campaigned in. It's thus reasonable to assume that in a world where Obama campaigns in PA for some reason, he wins it by 6-9 points instead of 5.

That would probably come as a surprise to these people and the 54 field offices Obama for America staffed in Pennsylvania in 2012.

The Romney campaign did a late pivot to PA in the last couple weeks of the campaign because they had good rally attendance and some of the polls showed Obama's lead there narrowing. It's the same trap the Republicans usually fall into there. PA is about whether the cities turn out and polls that assume they won't will trick the GOP.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Yet another college protest, this time at Amherst College:

quote:

1. President Martin must issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism. Also include that marginalized communities and their allies should feel safe at Amherst College.

How do you even begin to respond to this. This is just one of their many demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The mysterious Latin X...

quote:

President Martin must issue a statement to the Amherst College community at large that states we do not tolerate the actions of student(s) who posted the “All Lives Matter” posters, and the “Free Speech” posters that stated that “in memoriam of the true victim of the Missouri Protests: Free Speech.” Also let the student body know that it was racially insensitive to the students of color on our college campus and beyond who are victim to racial harassment and death threats; alert them that Student Affairs may require them to go through the Disciplinary Process if a formal complaint is filed, and that they will be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency.

The administration must not tolerate opinions we do not agree with.

• Locked thread