Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yet another college protest, this time at Amherst College:

How do you even begin to respond to this. This is just one of their many demands.

zoux posted:

The mysterious Latin X...

The administration must not tolerate opinions we do not agree with.

I am sure this will all end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

zoux posted:

The mysterious Latin X...

Regarding this, why isn't the term "Latin" used outside of the term "Latin America"? Lots of people, especially in academia, seem to understand the inherent sexism and linguistic issues using "Latino" in English to refer to both men and women, but they seem to bend over backwards to use Latin@ or Latinx while the perfectly fine term Latin seems to be ignored. Is there some reason for that?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

How do you even begin to respond to this. This is just one of their many demands.

didn't ts12 go to Amherst

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Since about 90% of their demands seem to be "say things we agree with" I don't think the demands are particularly onerous. They aren't calling for a bunch of people to be fired or anything.

The administration will still gently caress up their response, I'm sure.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

Since about 90% of their demands seem to be "say things we agree with" I don't think the demands are particularly onerous. They aren't calling for a bunch of people to be fired or anything.

more or less, but things such as

quote:

President Martin must issue a statement to the Amherst College community at large that states we do not tolerate the actions of student(s) who posted the “All Lives Matter” posters, and the “Free Speech” posters that stated that “in memoriam of the true victim of the Missouri Protests: Free Speech.” Also let the student body know that it was racially insensitive to the students of color on our college campus and beyond who are victim to racial harassment and death threats; alert them that Student Affairs may require them to go through the Disciplinary Process if a formal complaint is filed, and that they will be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency.

basically amount to "send the entire College Republican student body through the disciplinary system"

:getin:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wait we can't say latino anymore?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

How are u posted:

the romance languages are cishet scum

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How are u posted:

The idea is "latino" refers to men of Latin American ancestry and "latina" refers to women, so people are attempting to develop a gender-neutral term for people of that descent, to varying degrees of awkwardness.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

what do you assume escalation of our protest will mean?

The administration will say some general blanket statement about how all students are encouraged to voice their opinions and safety of our students is the number one priority blah blah blah changing no actual real policy.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

How are u posted:

Go ahead. Normal people won't freak out at you or anything.

How am I supposed to pronounce Latinx anyways?

Kanish posted:

what do you assume escalation of our protest will mean?

The administration will say some general blanket statement about how all students are encouraged to voice their opinions and safety of our students is the number one priority blah blah blah changing no actual real policy.

I dunno? Probably marches or some walk-outs/sit-ins. The protesters don't have a whole lot of actual power and I don't expect them to start bombing admin buildings.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 13, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, I get the desire to be more gender inclusive and that's good, but the sheer unprobouncability of pretty much anything that's ever been suggested is a clear byproduct of the fact that this topic has been generated pretty exclusively online and in academic papers.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

basically amount to "send the entire College Republican student body through the disciplinary system"

I mean....

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah, I get the desire to be more gender inclusive and that's good, but the sheer unprobouncability of pretty much anything that's ever been suggested is a clear byproduct of the fact that this topic has been generated pretty exclusively online and in academic papers.

except, as I mentioned, Latin. Which is already in use.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah the whole xi or xer or whatever the gently caress tumbler is doing these days really puts me in the old man camp. I'm 100% cool with you choosing your gendered pronouns and will gladly refer to you as he or her or him or she but gently caress the rest of it.

Two is good enough.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

How are u posted:

Yeah the whole xi or xer or whatever the gently caress tumbler is doing these days really puts me in the old man camp. I'm 100% cool with you choosing your gendered pronouns and will gladly refer to you as he or her or him or she but gently caress the rest of it.

Two is good enough.

I've never seen xi/xer used outside of Tumblr. Everyone in real life seems to be cool with "they" as a gender neutral pronoun.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

How are u posted:

Two is good enough.

I just use singular they. It's easiest and only pisses of people who think it's incorrect usage and are weird enough to bring it up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

... yeah so I totally don't think their actions are dumb now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Supreme Court is going to hear one of the Texas abortion cases.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

This is from a few pages back, but I'll vote for Ted Cruz if he filibusters with a full reenactment of the Princess Bride on the Senate floor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Latin@ looks cool as hell in my opinion, and should continue being used.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've never seen xi/xer used outside of Tumblr. Everyone in real life seems to be cool with "they" as a gender neutral pronoun.

It's also barely used on tumblr. It and most of the various alternatives died out long ago to they, because they all had serious issues in being useful in speech and writing.

There's still a smattering of people using each one, but it's on the order of the amount of people who insist on using really old versions of WordPerfect or whatever.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

I dunno? Probably marches or some walk-outs/sit-ins. The protesters don't have a whole lot of actual power and I don't expect them to start bombing admin buildings.

I was more implying they will begin to demand resignations if their demands are not met (they wont)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS just took up the Texas abortion case. This is one where if they (presumably) side with the state, it's going to let states make access to abortion basically impossible.

And if they side with the challengers, they can write in such a way as to essentially gut local regulation. It is win-win!*

*if you are a conservative plutocrat. For the rest of us we are completely hosed

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

A few years back an entire group of interns at my work 'disrupted' our union organizer training camp with demands that we incorporate correct pronoun usage.

They literally were suggesting that we open every single interaction with people we were trying to unionize with 'what gender do you identify as? is it okay if we refer to you as he/her/they/etc/etc?' and were completely dumbfounded when the 20-40 year old (mainly Latino) car wash workers in SE DC we were trying to organize were rather puzzled

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Bluedeanie posted:

Xe Xer Xem Xyr will be the hill I shout at kids from my front porch on. drat kids and their genderless pronouns. :corsair:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Supreme Court is going to hear one of the Texas abortion cases.

Kennedy please let your shred of sanity override your hatred of abortion...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Oh come on Romney, you don't want a second rear end whopping?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS just took up the Texas abortion case. This is one where if they (presumably) side with the state, it's going to let states make access to abortion basically impossible.

Christ we're hosed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

How are u posted:

Two is good enough.

One of the worst things you can do for your blood pressure is to assume that things you see online have any relation to how things are in the real world

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh come on Romney, you don't want a second rear end whopping?

I can't believe the thing behind "Break Glass In Case of Trump" is Mitt Romney.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

By sitting down and negotiating to a more reasonable compromise. How are you sitting in the USPOL thread and not seeing the value in making absurdly ideological demands because it shifts the Overton window in your direction even when you lose?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Talmonis posted:

Xe Xer Xem Xyr will be the hill I shout at kids from my front porch on. drat kids and their genderless pronouns. :corsair:

Again: those sorts of pronouns have been a failed proposition since the mid 2000s when "just use they" won out. There's like 500 variations, practically noone remembers which set works with which, so most involved people just said "gently caress it, shakespeare used singular they, so anyone who says it ain't valid can gently caress off".

So there's pretty much no chance of it being an Old Man Yells At Cloud issue,

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

I can't believe the thing behind "Break Glass In Case of Trump" is Mitt Romney.

Every other such cabinet has held only disappointment and failure. Mitt would be no different and the GOP has to know it. The combed-over chicken they created has come home to roost.

And get turned into mcnuggets by Hillary in the general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The weird venn diagram overlap between people who are extremely conservative about grammar but extremely liberal on sexuality and gender.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Fried Chicken posted:

By sitting down and negotiating to a more reasonable compromise. How are you sitting in the USPOL thread and not seeing the value in making absurdly ideological demands because it shifts the Overton window in your direction even when you lose?

I get what you're saying, but it's really hard to even approach a compromise when the person you're going to compromise starts off asking for a apology for everything ever that has happened.

More college hijinks:

quote:

The University of Minnesota Student Assembly voted down a measure providing for an annual remembrance of the September 11th attacks over worries that it could stoke intolerance towards Muslims.

The conservative campus paper The Minnesota Republic reports that the measure was forwarded by the representative for the College Republicans, but backed by the University president and MSA’s President and Vice-President. Despite strong institutional support , the vote failed 36-23.

Before the vote was taken, the campus’ Director of Diversity and Inclusion spoke out against the measure. “The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” he said. “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

“When will we start having moments of silence for all of the times white folks have done something terrible?” he added.

Come on, man.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

And El Paso is a border city so expect to see a lot of border crossing for abortions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
With all the things going on at campuses right now i wonder if the scandal at he school I go to Depaul University will gain steam again it had some minor controversy because the dean was implicated in a torture report.

quote:

According to the 543-page report, released in July after a six month investigation led by former Chicago Inspector General David Hoffman, Koocher and other high ranking APA officials collaborated with the Department of Defense (DoD) to create an APA task force that would essentially rubber stamp existing government policies on the ethical boundaries of interrogation.

http://depauliaonline.com/news/2015/08/21/depaul-dean-gerald-koocher-apa-torture/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Add VCU to the list of college with black student demonstration going on.

Black students take over VCU's president's office to demand changes

quote:

A group of black Virginia Commonwealth University student activists marched into the school president’s office Thursday morning to demand the university increase the number of black professors and offer more cultural training on campus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

to be fair I believe Amherst is named after the guy who gave the native americans plague blankets, pioneering biological warfare against civilians

that guy was kind of an rear end in a top hat but i don't see what apologizing for him does now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
poo poo is going down in Paris.

• Locked thread