Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, Returning's description mentions "[getting] lost in time and [returning] later, not all all or completely insane." How likely is that? Is it just a miniscule chance or is Returning not worth using due to the chance of losing the unit anyway or them going mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's quite likely. The chance was increased considerably in the transition from Dom3 to Dom4. About 20% chance of getting lost.

reference: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2401

Of course, Returning isn't very useful anymore anyway, because spell scripts are not followed in assassinations. But yeah, the whole teleport -> cast a thing (usually horrors) -> returning is a lot riskier now. That said if the risk if you don't Returning is high, like for example, you are trapped in a breached fort, then by all means.

e: Ironically, Returning was one of the number one ways to escape being Lost in Time and Space back in Dom3.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright. Good to know. Those are acceptable odds for emergency/last-ditch-effort things I've been thinking about, but definitely not something to rely on. Thanks for answering. And yeah, I remember it being good for that; it's why I used S2 priests for Void Gate stuff when possible as MA R'lyeh, among other things, when I played then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Luceid posted:

This nation seems chill.

it is. just shuffle around vine critters and expand your hell dominion. maybe prepare for the inevitable rush of people trying to cut down your overgrowth. have fun in the process of taking out as many as possible while getting whittled down. the True Dominions 4 Experience.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Luceid posted:

This nation seems chill.

actually you should be very not chill. you need to be real aggressive taking other people's land because your poo poo is dying

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

actually you should be very not chill. you need to be real aggressive taking other people's land because your poo poo is dying

Yep, which makes it a pain to deal with if, for instance, you are on the end of a big peninsula is Asphodel and Ermor are the two nations at the top of the peninsula and you just want to expand and not have a turn 4 war and end up fighting for literally 4 game years because your hell dominion just keeps popping freespawn back up again and and again and :argh:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

no, you misunderstand, that's the chill part about it!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

:barf:

a legitimate strategy

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This image is classified top secret under the new dom4 meta stratagems act of tyool 2015.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
big news from spooky game: ill winter game maker factory is bad at making games and spells cast by a man with a communion hat do not propagate to pythiums communicants

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

TRILLWINTER

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

jsoh posted:

big news from spooky game: ill winter game maker factory is bad at making games and spells cast by a man with a communion hat do not propagate to pythiums communicants

You should get real mages to communion Phoenix Pyre about it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of which, do items that give spell-like abilities to a Communion Master (i.e. Ring of Levitation) work on the Slaves? I'm assuming no, but Illwinter.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those fire off before the turn happens, so I don't think so.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

so uh communion chat, I'm in my first game where I'm going to be using them (or rather, i'm already trying to use them but I destroyed my enemy before the communion really fired off). So I have my dudes communion up, a bunch of slaves + master(s) let's just say I have 1 master and 4 slaves for this scenario. If I have everyone cast said communion spell on turn 1, then I have the master on turn 2 cast astral shield, does astral shield carry over to the slaves? Also, what do I do with the slaves once I cast communion slave, do i have them hold or does casting slave automatically cause them to do nothing for the rest of the fight except eat fatigue from the master?

*EDIT* if buffs do transfer from master to slave, are there any exceptions that are notable?

if there's a good/decent website or forum post that explains this stuff, I'll take a link to that and read it, then come back with questions if I don't understand/need more help after.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The way I understand it, spells that specifically target the caster will transfer, spells that target anything else won't.

So body ethereal won't work, but things like earth power and personal regen will. And phoenix pyre, because Dominions is a dick like that.

You can check out spells (and much more) at the Dominions mod inspector. (maintained by a goon I think, but to my eternal shame I forget who. He/she's a loving hero though, that's a handy site)

Funnily enough I think this is actually one of the most active communities, so it's always worth asking questions here. You could also try visiting the following:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I check the inspector a lot, it just obviously doesn't explain weird workings of stuff like communion etc, and googling for stuff is very hit and miss with this game since it's not very popular, and often info outside of SA I take with a giant block of salt because people are idiots.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

:barf:

a legitimate strategy

what am I looking at here

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Vomit. Duh.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

MF_James posted:

Yeah I check the inspector a lot, it just obviously doesn't explain weird workings of stuff like communion etc, and googling for stuff is very hit and miss with this game since it's not very popular, and often info outside of SA I take with a giant block of salt because people are idiots.

You're probably safe with mechanics outside of SA. It's strategy that you have to worry about.

packetmantis posted:

a lot of dead troops probably (banefire spam, perpetuated by werehyenas who should probably be casting Horde of Skeletons instead)

tooterfish posted:

The way I understand it, spells that specifically target the caster will transfer, spells that target anything else won't.

Correct. Specifically, any single target spell with "self" as the target will hit all the communion slaves. Any spell that targets an aoe will not.

Wouldn't it be neat if any single-target spell hit all slaves as well? Oops i incinerated your master now all your slaves are burning to death lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jsoh posted:

Yeah I was pretty loving miffed that my dudes did not poison resist my army like they were supposed to...

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Wouldn't it be neat if any single-target spell hit all slaves as well? Oops i incinerated your master now all your slaves are burning to death lol

Communions are hard enough to not blow yourself up with.

Besides, we already have "Oops, I incinerated your master now all of your slaves are writing on the ground with a splitting headache"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Communions are hard enough to not blow yourself up with.

Besides, we already have "Oops, I incinerated your master now all of your slaves are writing on the ground with a splitting headache"

We also have "Oops, looks like your masters got overexcited casting spells like mad motherfuckers. Now 100+ of your mages are dead."

I'm the unironic champion of bad scripting. :smugbird:

Rhavviepoodle
Oct 2, 2014

bark bark
I genuinely enjoy watching my scripting backfire. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself now and then.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rhavviepoodle posted:

I genuinely enjoy watching my scripting backfire. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself now and then.

Sometimes they ignore your script and it's good.

(Summon Earthpower)(Temper Flesh)(Resist Shock)(Quicken Self) Attack Closest

Or do that instead I guess.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rhavviepoodle posted:

You know when your scripts will always work perfectly?

When your allies accidentally walk into the same province as your army. :shepface:

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenWing posted:

You're probably safe with mechanics outside of SA. It's strategy that you have to worry about.
Boy did I look like an idiot when I thought that the internet was right about patrol mechanics for blood hunting. Just assume that non-goons are always wrong about dominions. Stay safe out there.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

packetmantis posted:

a hosed Up Tiny Wolf puking banefire

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Density posted:

Boy did I look like an idiot when I thought that the internet was right about patrol mechanics for blood hunting. Just assume that non-goons are always wrong about dominions. Stay safe out there.

What was it they were wrong about?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Archenteron posted:

hyenas are not wolves! Not even close to wolves!

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lprsti99 posted:

What was it they were wrong about?
Read 'em and weep.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Archenteron posted:

I <3 my hosed up tiny wolf.

Rhavviepoodle
Oct 2, 2014

bark bark
There're so many ridiculous tiny details in the game that it's hard not to be wrong on occasion. Even for goons!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Because if there's one thing Blood needs, it's not being an actual detriment to your economy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Because if there's one thing Blood needs, it's not being an actual detriment to your economy.

It is not a detriment to your economy. You trade gold for blood slaves, which buy things that are far far more powerful than what gold can buy can in basically all cases.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Blood hunting is bugged anyways, and kills far less pop than it's supposed to, thus making it far less damaging on your economy than it is supposed to be anyways.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Koth posted:

Blood hunting is bugged anyways, and kills far less pop than it's supposed to, thus making it far less damaging on your economy than it is supposed to be anyways.

Well at least blood hunting is less of a terrible mechanic than gem-gen forging.

Rhavviepoodle
Oct 2, 2014

bark bark
Doesn't patrolling end up killing way more pop than blood hunting itself does?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rhavviepoodle posted:

Doesn't patrolling end up killing way more pop than blood hunting itself does?
Neither of them kill very many people.

Patrolling down unrest kills a ton less people than the manual reckons, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

How do we know this?

• Locked thread