Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Helsing posted:

Government regulated weed sounds pretty awful. Decriminalization would be much more preferable.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Newfie posted:

Redoing the criminal code from scratch is not a 4 year process. Changes of that magnitude would take forever as it would take input from all the province's, both government and judiciary, then a debate at the federal level, in the same forums. Legal reform is one of the hardest things to do, and something like the criminal code would probably take 10+ years to do from scratch.

No time like the present.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PT6A posted:

To digress briefly from your inane analogy: if you were a lumberjack, and you showed up to work drunk and accidentally killed someone with your chainsaw as a result, do you really think it ought to be treated the same as purposefully killing someone?

Murder charges -> death by stoning

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

His dealer doesn't charge tax :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh CPC supporters

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

To digress briefly from your inane analogy: if you were a lumberjack, and you showed up to work drunk and accidentally killed someone with your chainsaw as a result, do you really think it ought to be treated the same as purposefully killing someone? It's a grave crime, but it's not nearly the same thing.

Honestly, looking at some of these opinions, I think the opposition to tough-on-crime is, mostly, anti-drug-war. The war on drugs is bad, certainly, but tough-on-crime rhetoric is awful regardless. We need to look at cost-effective measures which reduce all manners of crime, and imprisoning people out of vengeance is neither cost-effective nor does it reduce crime. You cannot be a fiscal conservative while supporting unnecessary, costly incarceration, and you cannot be a progressive while supporting arbitrary punishment without benefit. Supporting useless punitive measures is the last refuge of a primitive mind.

You can actually be ideologically impure and support various policies. I mean, look at yourself.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Murder charges -> death by stoning

Harsh, but fair.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The National Post is littered with angry Sun News culture war clickbait right now it's great.

:bahgawd: Activists!
:byodood: Anti-male ignorance!
:argh: Glo-bull warming scam!
:canada: Keystone betrayal!
:freep: War on Christmas!
:byodame: trannies!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Its that time posted:

Abortion is still illegal, technically speaking. Even though it is now ''legal'' since R vs Morgentaler, every attempts to replace the archaic law with new things did not work out. Going to wait and see where this goes.

Actually it's not technically illegal, since we have no criminal laws regulating abortion since R vs Morgentaler struck them down. It's just not technically legal either as we have no laws either way about it, it's a big missing piece.

vvv :stare:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No tanker traffic on BC north coast

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

vyelkin posted:

The sheer irony of a Liberal named Trudeau sweeping to power and undoing everything Harper did is somehow so delicious that it makes up for the fact that the Libs will eventually Lib.

While I'm familiar with the history of the Liberals, I'm curious what (or whether) you see in those letters that suggest to you that the Libs are gonna Lib this time around.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

THC posted:

The National Post is littered with angry Sun News culture war clickbait right now it's great.

:bahgawd: Activists!
:byodood: Anti-male ignorance!
:argh: Glo-bull warming scam!
:canada: Keystone betrayal!
:freep: War on Christmas!
:byodame: trannies!

Tranny (well fake man) got 8 years :prepop:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Actually it's not technically illegal, since we have no criminal laws regulating abortion since R vs Morgentaler struck them down. It's just not technically legal either as we have no laws either way about it, it's a big missing piece.

It's no more "not technically legal" than any other medical procedure that isn't mentioned in the criminal code though?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Holy poo poo :stonklol:

E: On the heels of Keystone, this is a pretty staggering thing to do

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Brannock posted:

While I'm familiar with the history of the Liberals, I'm curious what (or whether) you see in those letters that suggest to you that the Libs are gonna Lib this time around.

Historically justified cynicism and Libs playing to the middle/centre-right while in 3rd stringer status (like voting yes to C51). I'm hoping (cautiously) that the overwhelming response to their campaign will encourage them to follow through on it and not drift into Red Tory territory now that they have clear mandate to govern centre/centre-left. Comparisons to Obama are probably in some ways apt, but the context is very different. Canada as a whole is a less reactionary anti-government nation, and our parliamentary democracy poses far fewer roadblocks than the US Congress/Senate did to Obama (even when Dems controlled it stuff like getting the ACA passed was tough). Also we don't carry the baggage of being a globally hegemonic empire. Trudeau has far fewer barriers to achieving his objectives than Obama.

Of course this also means if the Libs Lib than there's very little room to make excuses for not following through on their promises.

EDIT: So far though he's already exceeding my (amittedly low) expectations, and he's making the right-wing super mad which is a good sign.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Barack Obama makes the right super mad too even as he enacts an agenda that is by any objective measure very right wing. It's all about creating the perception that he's this crazy America-hating leftist while in reality his policies are overwhelmingly favourable to capital and highly imperialistic.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, yeah, heads up, Paris is having a major terrorist attack going on it seems, so yeah, I am betting c-51 is gonna go back on forefront.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, yeah, heads up, Paris is having a major terrorist attack going on it seems, so yeah, I am betting c-51 is gonna go back on forefront.

Do we even know what happened yet? At the moment, it's so confused that they aren't sure which arrondisement the restaurant was in, whether an automatic or semiautomatic rifle was used, and even if anyone had died at the football station. The CTV doesn't even know whether the game is still ongoing. Nobody knows yet who did it or why.

I figure it's probably a terrorist attack, but I don't know nearly enough to comment intelligently.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

There was apparently a bomb threat earlier in the day. Reports say multiple instances of gunfire.

E: Shooting ongoing.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 13, 2015

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Brannock posted:

Practically every Liberal of note on Trudeau's team is recruited from the Ontario Liberal party, which has a long history of talking progressive during elections and then imposing austerity contracts, cuts to services and handouts to corporations, as well as having a long history of letting friends of the party plunder the province through scandanously mismanaged private-public partnerships (EHealth and Ornge air being the most egregious examples, though handouts to companies like Samsung which never end up delivering the jobs or innovation that they were supposed to are also worth mentioning). The Liberals in Ontario have utterly neglected homelessness, have let healthcare costs increase, did virtually nothing to deal with our huge infrastructure deficit and then, when they belatedly did decide to do something, have funded it by selling off other public infrastructure or by trying to impose taxes and user fees on working class folks so they can maintain the ineffective corporate tax cuts they pushed through earlier in their tenure.

With Trudeau specifically you can also look at who he has appointed. His two closest advisers (so far as I know) are Gerald Butts and Katie Telelford, both Ontario Liberals with a long history of involvement in that sordid government. His finance minister is Bill Morneau, who until 2014 was on the board of the conservative think tank the C.D. Howe institute. His chief of staff is Cyrus Reporter, a guy who, went he isn't acting as a Liberal insider, has a long history as a corporate lobbyist for pharmaceutical, telecom and energy companies. His pointperson in inequality is a woman named Chrystia Freeland who, when she was working for Thomson publishing, oversaw the outsourcing of two dozen unionised Canadian jobs to a call centre in India. Hell, one of Trudeau's campaign co-chairs, had to resign just before the election after he got caught writing a guide to prospective lobbyists on how to catch the ear of the new government.

And now, unsurprisignly, the Trudeau Liberals are saying exactly what the Ontario Liberals said when they first got elected in 2003: "aw shucks the previous government left us with a bigger shortfall than we expected, we're not sure how many of our budgetary promises we'll be able to keep."

Oh yeah, there's also the fact that up until they plummeted in the polls around the start of 2015 the Liberals under Trudeau were mostly signalling that they'd be relatively right wing in their economic policies. They only reversed course after they fell to third and were facing an existential threat as a party.

The Liberals will be better than Harper and I'm genuinely pleased with some of Trudeau's early moves but we shouldn't fool ourselves. As soon as the Liberals have to choose between policies that benefit the private sector and good public policy they will side with the private sector, because that's where the base of Liberal support is concentrated. Sure they get their votes from middle class old stock Canadians and working class New Canadians, but if you actually look at the people who become Liberal candidates or advisers then it's a pretty narrow demographic of people (with a few noteworthy exceptions to be sure) and those are the interests that the Liberals actually serve (edit: this is not to say that in literally every case they'll ignore the public, just that when push comes to shove their tendency is going to be to support private interests over public ones, and indeed to probably fail to see that there's even a difference). And once they are done in government they know that they will effortlessly transition to private sector positions where they'll be handsomely compensated for the service they performed on behalf of their real benefactors.

This is literally how the Liberal party has always operated and is the closest thing they have to an ideology. Like I said above, they're far better than Harper but they're fundamentally a party of insiders who think governing the country, and enjoying the spoils of governance, are their birth right.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 13, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dreylad posted:

Oh hey Toronto airports and activism I know something about th-- aw it's over already.

Montreal had Toronto beat for worse airport connection in North America when Mirabel Airport existed!

No it's not over! The complaints about the UPX not being world class enough are stupid. Yes, it was and still is an overpriced, mismanaged project because the OLP were responsible for it - surprise! - but purely as a way to get to the airport it's fine. Compare it to Sydney: circa $15 to get from the airport via train, for a much closer airport. Melbourne, no train link at all. Perth, ha ha ha ha yeah right the lovely buses don't even run past around 11 pm. Brisbane apparently spent $3 billion on an underground toll road linking their airport downtown, even though it's under 7 km away.

I'm also still not getting why it should be public policy to make air travel both convenient and cheap. I fly a fair amount and can recognize that it's generally a wasteful luxury that dumps greenhouse gases in the upper atmosphere. Never mind expanding it, why does Billy Bishop need to exist at all? Yes it's convenient for downtown flyers, great. The Gardiner is convenient for driving through and it's still a planning disaster that should be torn down.

e: Helsing, Morneau wasnt just on the CD Howe board, he was the chair.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was asking specifically about the letters since that was what people were immediately reacting to when I had posted, but I do appreciate the breakdown of the monied interests in the Liberal party, Helsing. I didn't realize that it went that deep. Thank you.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Sedge and Bee posted:

There was apparently a bomb threat earlier in the day. Reports say multiple instances of gunfire.

E: Shooting ongoing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Twitter is your #1 instant source during these events fyi, goons also parse through them and post them into a thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751370

or the middle east thread (you should always read this)

or GBS if you want to sift

http://www.france24.com/fr/tv-en-direct-chaine-live :(

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Helsing posted:

Practically every Liberal of note on Trudeau's team is recruited from the Ontario Liberal party, which has a long history of talking progressive during elections and then imposing austerity contracts, cuts to services and handouts to corporations, as well as having a long history of letting friends of the party plunder the province through scandanously mismanaged private-public partnerships (EHealth and Ornge air being the most egregious examples, though handouts to companies like Samsung which never end up delivering the jobs or innovation that they were supposed to are also worth mentioning). The Liberals in Ontario have utterly neglected homelessness, have let healthcare costs increase, did virtually nothing to deal with our huge infrastructure deficit and then, when they belatedly did decide to do something, have funded it by selling off other public infrastructure or by trying to impose taxes and user fees on working class folks so they can maintain the ineffective corporate tax cuts they pushed through earlier in their tenure.

With Trudeau specifically you can also look at who he has appointed. His two closest advisers (so far as I know) are Gerald Butts and Katie Telelford, both Ontario Liberals with a long history of involvement in that sordid government. His finance minister is Bill Morneau, who until 2014 was on the board of the conservative think tank the C.D. Howe institute. His chief of staff is Cyrus Reporter, a guy who, went he isn't acting as a Liberal insider, has a long history as a corporate lobbyist for pharmaceutical, telecom and energy companies. His pointperson in inequality is a woman named Chrystia Freeland who, when she was working for Thomson publishing, oversaw the outsourcing of two dozen unionised Canadian jobs to a call centre in India. Hell, one of Trudeau's campaign co-chairs, had to resign just before the election after he got caught writing a guide to prospective lobbyists on how to catch the ear of the new government.

And now, unsurprisignly, the Trudeau Liberals are saying exactly what the Ontario Liberals said when they first got elected in 2003: "aw shucks the previous government left us with a bigger shortfall than we expected, we're not sure how many of our budgetary promises we'll be able to keep."

Oh yeah, there's also the fact that up until they plummeted in the polls around the start of 2015 the Liberals under Trudeau were mostly signalling that they'd be relatively right wing in their economic policies. They only reversed course after they fell to third and were facing an existential threat as a party.

The Liberals will be better than Harper and I'm genuinely pleased with some of Trudeau's early moves but we shouldn't fool ourselves. As soon as the Liberals have to choose between policies that benefit the private sector and good public policy they will side with the private sector, because that's where the base of Liberal support is concentrated. Sure they get their votes from middle class old stock Canadians and working class New Canadians, but if you actually look at the people who become Liberal candidates or advisers then it's a pretty narrow demographic of people (with a few noteworthy exceptions to be sure) and those are the interests that the Liberals actually serve (edit: this is not to say that in literally every case they'll ignore the public, just that when push comes to shove their tendency is going to be to support private interests over public ones, and indeed to probably fail to see that there's even a difference). And once they are done in government they know that they will effortlessly transition to private sector positions where they'll be handsomely compensated for the service they performed on behalf of their real benefactors.

This is literally how the Liberal party has always operated and is the closest thing they have to an ideology. Like I said above, they're far better than Harper but they're fundamentally a party of insiders who think governing the country, and enjoying the spoils of governance, are their birth right.

What's absolutely infuriating about all this is the NDP is well meaning but incompetent and poor at campaigning which causes the exact sort of supporters they need to flock to the Liberals when they make coherent left leaning campaign promises. The only problem with this is the media quietly allows these promises to go by unchallenged while if the NDP made them they'd be eviscerated. So the NDP has to play the damned if you do, damned if you don't card. Not to mention a good chunk of the country will never listen to a word they have to say no matter how positive it might be.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

On the note of: Well the Libs will choose corporate over people when the decision comes up, may I simply point out the Billy Bishop Airport and Tankers on BC north coast seem to be siding with people and not corporations?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the note of: Well the Libs will choose corporate over people when the decision comes up, may I simply point out the Billy Bishop Airport and Tankers on BC north coast seem to be siding with people and not corporations?

You may not. A feeling of constant persecution is the only thing that can stimulate most CanPol posters; be considerate and do not deprive them of it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm cautiously optimistic. The only reason I'm not going full hardon for JT and the Federal liberals is because of how awful the OLP is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It should come as a surprise to no one that the CPC left a bigger shortfall than expected. I mean, they "balanced" the budget by fire saling their shares in GM, of course it was going to roll back in the red in the next exercise.

Of course, the average voter didn't know or care about this minor detail when they listened to NDP promising a balanced budget (based on the previous one) or "modest" LPC deficits.

:thumbsup:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

They're gonna sign the TPP, though. They supported CETA. They're obviously ideological free traders who don't give a drat about people losing their jobs in Canada or being near slaves in Asia.

However, they're not evil villains, no.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

It should come as a surprise to no one that the CPC left a bigger shortfall than expected. I mean, they "balanced" the budget by fire saling their shares in GM, of course it was going to roll back in the red in the next exercise.

Fire saling, jesus christ. Ontarians certainly don't care about selling GM shares as the OLP sold their last year too. It was part of their platform that got them a majority.

Helsing posted:

Libs gonna lib

Bravo man. You left out the Sudbury scandal and gas plant email but very eloquent.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Ikantski, I bet you cannot go a week without posting about the OLP and their follies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Ikantski, I bet you cannot go a week without posting about the OLP and their follies.

Ikantski will go a week without posting about how terrible the OLP is when the OLP goes a week without being terrible.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

That seems like a very safe bet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Ikantski will go a week without posting about how terrible the OLP is when the OLP goes a week without being terrible.
Uhhhm excuse me I realize this goes against the thread hive mind and I'll be thrashed for my heresy, but how can you say for sure that they will be terrible next week! That's right you can't! I for one am ~cautiously optimistic~ :sparkles:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Uhhhm excuse me I realize this goes against the thread hive mind and I'll be thrashed for my heresy, but how can you say for sure that they will be terrible next week! That's right you can't! I for one am ~cautiously optimistic~ :sparkles:

Good lord, you really are a complete twat, aren't you?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

ie never.

My question is will he keep posting about it when it's the OPC doing it. Ontario politics has been bad with cronyism and short term fixes for a very very long time.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Helsing posted:

His chief of staff is Cyrus Reporter

How could anyone possibly trust somebody with this name?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 9, 2022

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hope your inbox is ready. This is just from CBC's comment section which is generally more moderate than a lot of others.

quote:

2 resignations from the Justin Quota Cabinet are necessary.

1. The Defense Minister that told Canadians that there is nothing to fear.
2. The Immigration Minister that refused to provide Canadians with the details of transferring 25,000 Syrians over the next 6 weeks.

quote:

How our new Government believes it can properly screen 25,000 people in a month is beyond incompetent. Justin has something to prove and i fear it may be that he is a fool and an ignorant apologist , and his actions may put Canadians in real danger.

NO IMMIGRATION from Islamic lands , should be what a responsible leader would say.

quote:

Justin Trudeau is a shameful embarrassment to this country. Right when we should be showing INCREASED RESOLVE with our allies to battle these extremist goons, he shows weakness. It is so pathetic it's sickening.

quote:

Justin... please find the "root" causes of this shooting.

WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP THE TERRORISTS IN FRANCE, JUSTIN?? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yeah. Already prepped and ready for it
You may get a string of the word gently caress tomorrow from me