Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some of the random locations and their set pieces are very neatly made. I found an old retirement home on the coast, still manned by a few Mr. Handy's, and checked in with the receptionist Handy at the front desk so they wouldn't count me as a trespasser. Then I went to explore the various rooms around the place.
However, while I'm exploring the kitchen, I hear the receptionist in the distance say "Ah, more visitors. What can I help you with?", which seemed kinda weird, so I went and checked. It turned out 5 Synth had just entered, and when they saw me, they immediately turned hostile and attacked.

It wasn't a very complex or deep encounter, but I liked it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lady Naga posted:

I am constantly baffled by how bad people are at videogames.

There was a guy earlier in the thread complaining about how VATS moved too fast for him now because only adderal addled 12 year olds can handle the game at a blazing 25% speed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

super macho dude posted:

please dont disparage dogmeat, he's a good boy, yes he IS a good boy :3:

I'm not using him as a companion but I bought a dog from some dude and how he and dogmeat just hang out in their little doghouses being chill as gently caress back at base :3:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

sector_corrector posted:

I'm pretty sure they put that there to try and force you to use their poo poo power armor system.

God I hate it. I'm going to try the Clean Power Armor HUD mod and see if that makes it bearable.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Azhais posted:

I'm not using him as a companion but I bought a dog from some dude and how he and dogmeat just hang out in their little doghouses being chill as gently caress back at base :3:

That cat at Abernathy Farms is probably the chillest of all. The place was attacked by a bunch of raiders and afterwards I noticed it laying on the ground. I thought it was dead but nope, just sunbathing in the fields during a gunfight. :3:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Bohemian Nights posted:

There was a guy earlier in the thread complaining about how VATS moved too fast for him now because only adderal addled 12 year olds can handle the game at a blazing 25% speed

That was the guy with the Imperial Guard avatar who's name I forget, and he was complaining that they made vats worse since only adderall addicted 12 year olds can handle the game at normal speed (so he's right but for all the wrong reasons).

Like I have to imagine the people complaining about Corvega just facetank everything and don't understand what "cover" is.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Zaphod42 posted:

Why use a jpg list when the game is happy to do perk lookups for you?

Help <name> 4

type whatever perk you want as <name> and it'll list the ID for you right there in the console

Is there a way to modify special in the perk screen? I had no idea what I was doing when I rolled my nerd and put 4 points into everything. The player.modav command acts like a buff from armor or drugs, and doesn't add stars to the perk chart. Ideally I'd like to raise some and lower others to maintain a balance. I didn't see special listed on that huge perk chart. I will try your help command after dinner.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lady Naga posted:

That was the guy with the Imperial Guard avatar who's name I forget, and he was complaining that they made vats worse since only adderall addicted 12 year olds can handle the game at normal speed (so he's right but for all the wrong reasons).

Like I have to imagine the people complaining about Corvega just facetank everything and don't understand what "cover" is.

The cover system loving sucks.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah I didn't have any trouble at corvega just shooting mans, but I guess I could see it being difficult if you're trying to play a melee character at that point

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You'll find, actually, it doesn't. Unless you are REALLY REALLY incompetent at hiding until the enemy has to reload and then popping up to fire a few shots, like any videogame shooter ever made.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

For me it was more the half dozen molotovs flying at me with pinpoint accuracy while I got capped through the catwalk. I ended up going from door to door outside the factory, popping in, VATS'ing a dude in the head and going back out. Once you get some room to breathe inside its not so bad. I probably died at least 15 times on survival just trying to get established inside.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

The cover system loving sucks.

You don't need a cover system to recognize that going behind an obstacle will cause the bullets to not hit you

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Turns out you can happily jump off the Brotherhood zepplin and not die (When in power armor)

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

The Iron Rose posted:

Enjoy!

http://pastebin.com/SrGkfzp0

This is a cheatengine script to do exactly that.

Thanks pal!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Some of the random locations and their set pieces are very neatly made. I found an old retirement home on the coast, still manned by a few Mr. Handy's, and checked in with the receptionist Handy at the front desk so they wouldn't count me as a trespasser. Then I went to explore the various rooms around the place.
However, while I'm exploring the kitchen, I hear the receptionist in the distance say "Ah, more visitors. What can I help you with?", which seemed kinda weird, so I went and checked. It turned out 5 Synth had just entered, and when they saw me, they immediately turned hostile and attacked.

It wasn't a very complex or deep encounter, but I liked it.

I had a Legendary Super Mutant talk to a regular one, and the regular one goes "You are a Super Mutant", to which the Legendary replied "No, brother, I am different".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There's cover literally everywhere inside Corvega, maybe try not walking up catwalks while dudes are shooting at you?

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

survival difficulty is disappointing me, just makes everything a bullet sponge :/

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

if you are bad at this game you may be a retarded person its easy as gently caress

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Minesweep posted:

survival difficulty is disappointing me, just makes everything a bullet sponge :/

Welcome to Bethesda difficulty settings.

They just increase the damage enemies do and lower the damage you do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the different companion affection levels? I got the message that Piper admires me. At what point do I get her companion quest?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The only bullet spongy enemies on Survival are the boss monsters, in which case you should probably be prepared with at least one slow-firing, high DPS weapon anyway.

Harrow posted:

What are the different companion affection levels? I got the message that Piper admires me. At what point do I get her companion quest?

She doesn't have one.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

There's cover literally everywhere inside Corvega, maybe try not walking up catwalks while dudes are shooting at you?

I went in through the top of corvega, having had an easier time of clearing the exterior from above, so I was starting out on the catwalks. Dawg on the other hand would inexplicably enter through somewhere downstairs, then run through all of the raiders dragging them along with him to reunite with his disenchanted master.

Corvega is why I hate dogmeat

Harrow posted:

I think her "companion quest" is just the dialogue thing where she asks you what she should do about her dumb little sister, you say something, probably anything really, and thats it. When I got her maxed out she brought back up that conversation.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like I really don't want to harp on you because you're being nice but it's kind of baffling to me that you'd enter from the top, have a tough time and not think "oh, I should probably approach this from a different vantage."

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Best Raider conversation I've heard so far.

"...so when this dude went on his camping trip, he made a list of supplies, and he was really vigilant about it, and that's why it's called 'being Thoreau.'"
"And this guy invented transyl- trance-"
"Trainscendentalism, man. You sound like an idiot."

Also had one conversation start up that sounded like they were commenting on another Raider camp I cleared out, which was kinda cool. I didn't get to hear more than the first two lines before they spotted my AGI 1 rear end, but they mentioned Ack-Ack by name.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just realized that Thoreau conversation was at Walden loving Pond.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i've been doing a playthrough where i have been save scumming every single quest xp reward, level 16 after like 7 quests complete.

it's really hard running with 1 int, really need gun nut

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

She doesn't have one.

Aww.

Does Nick Valentine have a good one at least? That dude's cool.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Int and Agility are really the two base stats you want a lot of. Endurance is nice but health becomes more and more irrelevant the higher your level is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also, are there companion affection/trust levels above "admire" or is that as high as it goes?

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Bazillion pages, so apologies if this has been answered before.

Is there a point of no return on the brotherhood of steel and/or minutemen questlines, that prevents me from doing stuff for the other factions?

I've only so far found brotherhood and minutemen and would like to know if I need to go and find the other folks now or if I can keep doing stuff from the factions I've so far encountered. My current quest status is not completely done with lost patrol, but the big gently caress-off airship just flew in because I progressed the main quest a bit. Triangle hat guy wants me to take back castle but haven't started on that yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Falken posted:

Turns out you can happily jump off the Brotherhood zepplin and not die (When in power armor)

power armor specifically says it removes all falling damage

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I gotta say while the writing itself isn't that good, I LOVE the Synth poo poo. It's the first real/new thing Bethesda brought to the Fallout table, it fits pretty well with established lore, and cliché or not it just works. Valentine is my poo poo!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Int and Agility are really the two base stats you want a lot of. Endurance is nice but health becomes more and more irrelevant the higher your level is.

What's the point of Agility if you have no intention of sneaking and don't want the high-level perks? I don't think it passively increases gun damage like Strength does for melee damage (or, at least, it doesn't say it does). Action Boy is a good perk if you use VATS a lot but kind of lackluster if you don't. Other than that I don't see much point in investing heavily in it.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Also, are there companion affection/trust levels above "admire" or is that as high as it goes?

idolizes is highest

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Synths are really cool and the main quest would probably be actually good if it focused on them from the beginning instead of THE BABY. Hoping there'll be an expac solely about them at least.

Harrow posted:

What's the point of Agility if you have no intention of sneaking and don't want the high-level perks? I don't think it passively increases gun damage like Strength does for melee damage (or, at least, it doesn't say it does). Action Boy is a good perk if you use VATS a lot but kind of lackluster if you don't. Other than that I don't see much point in investing heavily in it.
Agility modifies your base movement speed. So you don't want to put like a ton of points in it, but 4-5~ is reasonable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Harrow posted:

Does Nick Valentine have a good one at least? That dude's cool.

Yes. A pretty long one as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Agility modifies your base movement speed. So you don't want to put like a ton of points in it, but 4-5~ is reasonable.

Dang, really? I was thinking of going for a lower-Agility build but I do love movement speed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Idolize is the max. Then you talk to them and you get their perk.

I think it goes default -> ??? -> admire -> idolize. I can't remember what the 2nd one was.

I'm curious as to what companions actually have quests. So far I just know that MacReady has one.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Brotherhood of Steel / Main Quest spoiler: Went with the Railroad, and one of the final things they have you do is get rid of them from the Commonwealth all together. WEll that involves planting explosives on their giant zepellin thing (pretty cool). I was fine with doing that until I realized that A) you don't give them any time to evacuate and B) THERE ARE CHILDREN ON THAT THING. Nobody brings that up! JEsus Christ!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does HP gain per level start ramping up at some point? I've been getting single-digit amounts with 3 Endurance but then I see gameplay videos where people are in the 30s and have like 500 HP, and people saying Endurance is kind of useless as a stat, so I don't even know what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

gromdul posted:

Is there a way to modify special in the perk screen? I had no idea what I was doing when I rolled my nerd and put 4 points into everything. The player.modav command acts like a buff from armor or drugs, and doesn't add stars to the perk chart. Ideally I'd like to raise some and lower others to maintain a balance. I didn't see special listed on that huge perk chart. I will try your help command after dinner.

Add the training perks via the console.

• Locked thread