Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Not for their facilities, but for the vineyards, Stolpman would seem to be fun. They are growing cool poo poo like Trousseau Noir and aerially trained Syrah vines that fill entire vineyards.

Further north, Mount Eden in Santa Cruz is iconic, super beautiful, and extremely significant to California winemaking history as it is the site of Martin Ray's first winery.

I went up on Chalone back when it wasn't garbage and loved every second of it. Likewise, Chappelet. I also enjoyed Diamond Creek for the sheer severity of the setting. Spring Mountain was less severe, but still pretty wild and a little more suave. I had a long drunken conversation with Michael Keenan once about politics and I find him and his wines to be endlessly fascinating.

I guess what I'm saying is seek out the mountain wines.

Also, if you can get some time with Radio Couteau or Arnot Roberts I'm sure the surroundings will be less than impressive, but the vision might make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
person who was drinking barefoot earlier please email me a shipping addy at mattnotgeorge@gmail.com

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

bartolimu posted:

Hello Winefriends. I'm going to be traveling up the coast of California from San Diego to the Russian River area and would like some suggestions of wineries to visit. I'm partial to really interesting/unusual wines, not a fan of stereotypical California chards.

In or around Santa Rosa/Healdsburg/Sebastopol:

Salinia/Natural Process Alliance (I can't find a website, I hope Kevin's still up and running.)
Idlewild
Ryme
Wind Gap
Frick
Preston
Kieran Robinson

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I'm going to be back in North Carolina over Christmas and I wanted to get a nice bottle of something. Unfortunately K&L doesn't ship to North Carolina and I haven't exactly been blown away by the other online shops I've found so far. Could anyone recommend one that ships to NC?

If I had my druthers I'd love to find a decent bottle of Burgundy in the $2-300 range that's ready to drink, but I'm not super picky.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

So I'm going to be back in North Carolina over Christmas and I wanted to get a nice bottle of something. Unfortunately K&L doesn't ship to North Carolina and I haven't exactly been blown away by the other online shops I've found so far. Could anyone recommend one that ships to NC?

If I had my druthers I'd love to find a decent bottle of Burgundy in the $2-300 range that's ready to drink, but I'm not super picky.

You could just ship it yourself to whatever address you'll be at in NC. It's pretty easy and I recommend FedEx: get a label, drop it off at the counter and don't say anything.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Furious Lobster posted:

You could just ship it yourself to whatever address you'll be at in NC. It's pretty easy and I recommend FedEx: get a label, drop it off at the counter and don't say anything.

I live in Tokyo, so that might be kinda iffy.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

I live in Tokyo, so that might be kinda iffy.

Ah, yeah intl shipping is a little harder :v: . That being said, I can help be a redirect point - email me at safuriouslobster at gmail

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

bartolimu posted:

Hello Winefriends. I'm going to be traveling up the coast of California from San Diego to the Russian River area and would like some suggestions of wineries to visit. I'm partial to really interesting/unusual wines, not a fan of stereotypical California chards. Kalin Cellars sprung to mind for their sheer oddity (and amazing website) but I'm not familiar enough with other options to plan for much. Any suggestions? Central Coast/Sonoma area stuff encouraged, it's a long drive to the Bay Area and I'll need something to entertain me on the way.

It's a little farther inland, but think about taking a detour to Ambyth in Paso Robles. Biodynamic, dry-farmed vineyards in Paso, and it definitely falls square into the "interesting" category.

If you're starting in San Diego Los Pilares does some cool-rear end natty pet nat. Just met the couple running J Brix the other night as well and they're really nice peeps out of SD.

There are a few wine shops in SF carrying neat stuff. Terroir at 7th and Folsom is kind of the SF natural wine mainstay, but other good spots include places like Ruby Wine on Potrero Hill and Fig & Thistle in Hayes Valley. If you're thinking of dinner I'd super recommend Heirloom Cafe in the Mission. They have a phenomenal wine list and very good food - great prix fixe as well. Their BTG list is one of the best in SF imo.

Another Sonoma place to check (idk what their program is, you might have to arrange a visit) is Arnot-Roberts.

Oh, and if you pass through Oakland instead definitely stop by Ordinaire. They're natty wine hipsters, yeah, but they carry some really loving cool juice.

edit: in other news harvest is over, over, over! Been over for a few weeks now, but I haven't been following the thread so much. Got a couple tons of hillside Syrah from Sonoma and had my first experience with oversprayed sulfur in the vineyard - not loving fun at all, especially when you're working with native ferments. The wine didn't want to start at all and then started getting bad stinky, not just regular ol' Syrah reduction stinky. I freaked out about stuff for about a week or so but everything seems like it ended up ok - it's stil a little reductive in barrel, but just normal Syrah reductive, and I'll probably give it a good aerative racking at some point to make it happy. Stuff is already rocking through malo which is also pretty nice. I like quick, thorough ferments when I can get 'em.

My 2011 Merlot/Cab seems like it's finally turning the corner, too, which is pretty exciting. It was a cold year and the sugar never got too high, and it's been a closed-down, acidic rear end in a top hat of a wine for the past 4 years. Merlot is popping super strong now, though, and it feels really good - I think I nailed terroir/typicity for the region and I'm really proud of that. It's a little clue that I'm on the right track with my winemaking, and it feels really good.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 28, 2015

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Does anybody have any recommendations for TV-shows/documentaries about wine, preferably available somewhere online?
Me and a friend have recently watched BBC's "Oz and James's Big Wine Adventure" which is not all that serious but entertaining enough, and looking for something new now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Arnot-Roberts' winery is literally in a rundown shopping center. It's not much to look at, but the wines are amazing.

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope

bartolimu posted:

Hello Winefriends. I'm going to be traveling up the coast of California from San Diego to the Russian River area and would like some suggestions of wineries to visit. I'm partial to really interesting/unusual wines, not a fan of stereotypical California chards. Kalin Cellars sprung to mind for their sheer oddity (and amazing website) but I'm not familiar enough with other options to plan for much. Any suggestions? Central Coast/Sonoma area stuff encouraged, it's a long drive to the Bay Area and I'll need something to entertain me on the way.

Nice, I'm sure it will be a fun trip!

Central Coast (not super experienced)
Chamisal
Claibourne & Churchill

Sonoma County (I second Frick, Wind Gap and Arnot Roberts)
Unti
Red Car
Limerick Lane
Quivera
Enkidu
Two Shepards
Bedrock Wine Co.(iffy availability)

Napa County(If you're making it out that way pm me or something, I work at a small winery out there. I'll host you and can recommend others)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Flyndre posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for TV-shows/documentaries about wine, preferably available somewhere online?
Me and a friend have recently watched BBC's "Oz and James's Big Wine Adventure" which is not all that serious but entertaining enough, and looking for something new now.

Here's a Canadian show on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/lcbobpg/videos Very informative about mostly French and Italian wines, but other stuff too. Some short clips, many longer episodes. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyc8fvpOOl4

edit: go home url parser you are drunk

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 2, 2015

bsummmit
Jul 15, 2015

Walka Blocka Shame posted:

Nice, I'm sure it will be a fun trip!

Central Coast (not super experienced)
Chamisal
Claibourne & Churchill

Sonoma County (I second Frick, Wind Gap and Arnot Roberts)
Unti
Red Car
Limerick Lane
Quivera
Enkidu
Two Shepards
Bedrock Wine Co.(iffy availability)

Napa County(If you're making it out that way pm me or something, I work at a small winery out there. I'll host you and can recommend others)

Such nice recommendations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I went to a unlimited food and wine tasting party thing at Epcot Food and Wine Festival at Disneyworld. Wines ranged mostly California or Italy with Veuve Clicquot champagne thrown in. Managed to get quite drunk without spending extra money, a nice feat for Disneyworld.

Definitely my favorite was a red Bordeaux-style blend from Meeker in Sonoma County. The guy said it was an '06, I don't see that exact year on their site but this is the '08: https://store.meekerwine.com/xe/xe.asp?page=viewitem&p=08FourKings&cat=red-wines . I'm not an elite taster or home bottle-ager, so it was definitely the oldest wine I've ever drunk. Pretty cool. Last time I was in Napa, similarly a Bordeaux blend was my favorite red, pretty transcendent. I may have to make that a trend.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ignore this post

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flyndre posted:

Somm is on Netflix right now. It's about a half dozen guys who are studying to take the Master Sommelier test. It's pretty insane how talented these guys are. Not only do they have to be blessed with genetics for an amazing sense of smell, they have to nurture that talent to an insane degree by smelling and tasting not only a zillion different wines but also random poo poo like rocks and moss and bruised or unripe fruits in order to be able to identify the weirdest tastes that might be coming up in a random wine. A Master is supposed to be able to taste a wine and identify the country, the year of production, the region and even the local valley in which it was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNmcCCE15E

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Somm is on Netflix right now. It's about a half dozen guys who are studying to take the Master Sommelier test. It's pretty insane how talented these guys are. Not only do they have to be blessed with genetics for an amazing sense of smell, they have to nurture that talent to an insane degree by smelling and tasting not only a zillion different wines but also random poo poo like rocks and moss and bruised or unripe fruits in order to be able to identify the weirdest tastes that might be coming up in a random wine. A Master is supposed to be able to taste a wine and identify the country, the year of production, the region and even the local valley in which it was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNmcCCE15E

Great movie, not dry and overly wine nerdy. I'm preparing for this exam now, actually one of my main mentors is in the movie, Peter Neptune.

I will say that genetics doesn't play much of a role. Of course if you can't smell poo poo then it's gonna be an uphill battle, but if you can smell reasonably well, you can train your palate to identify and verbalize what you're smelling. Just takes years of wiring your brain to have a huge vocabulary for aromas. I've found almost everyone can smell what's going on, they just don't know how to put it into words, or maybe just don't have the knowledge to know why a white wine might smell like butter and draw conclusions from it, for example. Lots of comparing wines side by side to really help you understand the difference between French and American oak, ripe vs. underripe vs. overripe, Cab vs. Merlot vs. Malbec, etc. etc., and endless amount of study so you know why wines taste the way they do. Ian knew that was Clare Valley Riesling because he knows Clare Valley's slate soils produce Rieslings with a strong petrol character (or as he calls it, freshly opened can of tennis balls). My sense of smell isn't amazing. I thought all wines smelled the same when I first started learning.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of wine movies I finally watched Bottle Shock, and it was... uh... definitely a movie I guess??

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I started tasting wine about 5 months ago using the deductive grid, and I can confirm its all practice. Having a good teacher helps a lot, but it's all practice. When I started I just embarrassed myself at every tasting. Now I can hold my own and I have a good bit more confidence. Also quit smoking if you do plan on going this route. After a week without smoking I felt like I improved a poo poo ton.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Crimson posted:

I will say that genetics doesn't play much of a role. Of course if you can't smell poo poo then it's gonna be an uphill battle, but if you can smell reasonably well, you can train your palate to identify and verbalize what you're smelling.

agreed. i screen panelists for my sensory panel not based so much on genetic potential but ability to focus, interest, and general intelligence. most of the panelists think you need to be some rare specimen but i tell them almost anyone can be trained to identify and scale aromas in wine, biggest things are being exposed to different stimuli, sense memory, and recall. of course some people end up being super sensitive smellers but if they don't have the memory bank of aromas to draw from then they won't be able to describe what it is they are smelling

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

Pyramid Valley and Pegasus Bay are great Pinot producers in Canterbury, and Hamilton Russel and Newton Johnson in Hamel-en-Aarde.

Forgot to report but I picked up a bottle of 2010 Pyramid Valley Calvert Otago and really enjoyed it! It has less complexity but the balanced spice and awesome bouquet make it a real easy and enjoyable daily drinker.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

bartolimu posted:

So are we going to get a trip report or what?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Tasted through my three 2014 blends still in barrel the other day and 2014 is gonna be a siiiiiick year for natty wine! Santa Ynez Syrah/Grenache is all purple/blue flowers on the nose with a wound-up richness to the palate that makes me think it'll be a show-stopper in 5-10 years. Lodi Syrah/Cinsault is higher acid and bright, light red fruits - similar in ways to my 2013 version but a little lighter on its feet. And my Syrah/Carignan is similar but with more bass/bottom from the Carignan. Can't wait to get this poo poo in bottle!

Following wine through elevage is always a little tough, especially because I don't sulfur until bottling. After primary fermentation finishes, the wine usually smells pretty decent but it's always really angular and disjointed on the palate. Then malo happens and it smells/tastes pretty nasty & hosed up for a while. Then there's usually a long while where you can taste potential, but there are a few things that are still disjointed, or not quite right, and all you can do is hang on to your butt and wait and see.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Stitecin posted:

So are we going to get a trip report or what?

Trip Report: due to social engagements in San Diego, Anaheim, Monterey, San Francisco, Half Moon Bay and Santa Clara, I ended up driving more than stopping, was in Napa/RR on Veterans Day for which many wineries were closed, and my wine/beer/cheese vacation became simply a beer/cheese vacation. :sigh:

That said, if you're in the Sebastopol area and like cheese you should totally drive out to Joe Matos Creamery and buy a few pounds of their excellent raw milk cheeses. It's a great experience, and they're good wine cheeses.

Tonight's my wine shop's annual Thanksgiving Wines class, though. I can do a write-up of those if you like. It's a difficult holiday to choose wines for due to the crazy foods we seem to think we have to serve.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

bartolimu posted:

...if you're in the Sebastopol area and like cheese you should totally drive out to Joe Matos Creamery and buy a few pounds of their excellent raw milk cheeses. It's a great experience, and they're good wine cheeses...

I work just North of Sebastopol, but I've never heard of that place. It's really near the carnivorous plant nursery where I bought the plants that eat all the fruit flies that get in my office.

I drive by Bohemian Creamery on Occidental Road twice a day, but haven't heard good things so I've never stopped. Did you happen to taste there?

I went to a natural wine tasting in San Francisco last weekend at Terroir. I'd say that most of the wineries pouring were decent, a few were quite good. Here's the website to check out a list interesting wineries. Incidentally, I may have lined up a ton or two of Abouriou for 2016 which would be a horrible choice for a grape to start a label with, but I might do it anyway.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Saw this on my feed this morning. It hurt to read.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Stitecin posted:

I work just North of Sebastopol, but I've never heard of that place. It's really near the carnivorous plant nursery where I bought the plants that eat all the fruit flies that get in my office.

I drive by Bohemian Creamery on Occidental Road twice a day, but haven't heard good things so I've never stopped. Did you happen to taste there?

Tried to, but they were closed. I chatted with the bartender at one of the local breweries and he said Bohemian was okay, but I should really go to Joe Matos instead.

Joe Matos is the kind of place that's mythical among cheesemongers due to quality and low distribution. Cowgirl Creamery sells their stuff, but at literally twice the price of going to the source. It's down a side road of a side road, a turn onto a single-lane dirt driveway with a small vineyard on your left, following small "Cheese" signs around to the back side of a barn with no obvious parking area. Just park wherever. Don't worry, nobody else will be there. Walk into the little shack attached to the cheese aging building. Ring the bell if necessary, someone will come out of the cheese aging room (which you can see behind the clear plastic curtain) and give you a sample of each cheese. Then tell them how much you want, watch them cut it - from a fresh wheel pulled off the aging shelf if needed, like it was for my order - and pay. In and out in under five minutes. Be sure to wave to the cows that made your milk (I saw two herds, one Holstein and one I would have sworn were Guernsey) on the way out.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
My partner and I went to the Beaujolais Nouveau release party at Bastille last night, holy poo poo I need to drink more Beaujolais. I haven't been to a tasting where I drank this much wine and really liked everything on the table.

Tasted through the following, with our notes (mine//my partner's).

2015 Dom. Dupeuble Nouveau - bright and juicy red fruits, really fresh, very classic expression of B-Nouveau // celebratory, easy drinking and upbeat - really liked this wine. Very limited tannin - don't serve with anything that needs a wine that can stand up. Bright acidity but not overpowering, my favorite of the nouveaus

2015 Dom. de Vissoux Nouveau - didn't make much of an impression tasted side-by-side with the other two Nouveaus but was still good, bit of a blank canvas // I did not like this wine. Had an oats-like aroma and a bit of a plasticy taste. Not undrinkable bu definitely my least favorite

2015 J. Foillard Noveau - earthy, mushroom, great terroir expression, a little funk, darkest fruit of the three but still light bodied, almost reminded me of a young burgundy, my favorite of the nouveaus // a bit musty for me

2011 Anne Sofie Dubois Fleurie Clepsydre - my first Fleurie, really delicious, beautiful red fruits, med. light body and a gentle structure, I could drink gallons of this, I'm sure it would make a perfect Thanksgiving wine // By the time I had a full glass, I had other wines that were bigger and more tannic which muted some of the subtle qualities of this wine -- drink first! Incorporated the light fruitiness of the Dom. Dupeuble but with a more substantial body. No musk on this - clean, french, fruity, lively. A bit Pinot Noir-like, WOTN

2012 Diochon Moulin-a-Vent Vieilles Vignes - darker than the Fleurie with much firmer tannins, most structured wine of the evening, but still nice fruit, flinty minerality on the nose // I don't remember this one...

NV Nicole Chanrion Effervescence Sparkling Beaujolais-Villages - slight hint of RS, great balance and acid, almost reminded me of an off-dry blanc-de-blancs with just a hint of strawberry, was wonderful paired with frites // Great, just a hint of color - lighter than a rose. Acidic (a bit much for where it was placed in the flights - my fault - but would be a fantastic cocktail wine. Some muted floral notes and a light "white chocolate" element

NV Patrice Colin Coteaux du Vendomois - interesting, similar to a lambrusco but with better body and more mineral character, would probably be great with pizza // Light bubble, some residual sugar but dark and interesting. I liked it quite a bit.

2011 Charly Thevenet Regnie Grain & Granit - like a medium bodied aged version of the J. Foillard Noveau, earthy, funky, very terroir driven, much more serious compared to the others, quite pinot-like, very much to my taste // Very good

2012 Jean-Paul Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes - great body and fruit, dusty earth and minerality, slightly brick colored, delicious // Very brick - in between a ruby port and madeira color, odd for a young wine. Musky but not so overpowering that I didn't enjoy it, a bit dusty on the palate

2011 J. Foillard Morgon Cote du Py - my WOTN, the perfect marriage of fresh beautiful red fruit, gentle structure, earth, funk, all perfectly in balance with a savory yet clean finish // My second favorite - a close second! Bright but with complexity, balanced, a hint meaty, juicy but more interesting than others. Savory and satisfying

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

bartolimu posted:

Tried to, but they were closed. I chatted with the bartender at one of the local breweries and he said Bohemian was okay, but I should really go to Joe Matos instead.

Joe Matos is the kind of place that's mythical among cheesemongers due to quality and low distribution. Cowgirl Creamery sells their stuff, but at literally twice the price of going to the source. It's down a side road of a side road, a turn onto a single-lane dirt driveway with a small vineyard on your left, following small "Cheese" signs around to the back side of a barn with no obvious parking area. Just park wherever. Don't worry, nobody else will be there. Walk into the little shack attached to the cheese aging building. Ring the bell if necessary, someone will come out of the cheese aging room (which you can see behind the clear plastic curtain) and give you a sample of each cheese. Then tell them how much you want, watch them cut it - from a fresh wheel pulled off the aging shelf if needed, like it was for my order - and pay. In and out in under five minutes. Be sure to wave to the cows that made your milk (I saw two herds, one Holstein and one I would have sworn were Guernsey) on the way out.

My son needed a car ride for napping so i drove out there and it is exactly as you described except there were cars everywhere, and there was a group of people cutting a small mountain of bread out of bread bags; there must have been two cords of bread in that heap. I wonder if they feed that to the ducks that lay the eggs sold in the cheese shop.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Stitecin posted:

I went to a natural wine tasting in San Francisco last weekend at Terroir. I'd say that most of the wineries pouring were decent, a few were quite good. Here's the website to check out a list interesting wineries. Incidentally, I may have lined up a ton or two of Abouriou for 2016 which would be a horrible choice for a grape to start a label with, but I might do it anyway.

Hey, I was pouring there! I was in the second room between Pilares & Neighborhood; dunno if you got a chance to taste or remember. I poured my current 2013 release, and a 2011 Merlot/Cab from shiners - haven't put the label together yet :ssh:. I'm really happy about both wines; the 2013 is super friendly right now and I think the 2011 has a really great future ahead of it.

Abouriou sounds like a rough grape to make a varietal wine out of... any chance you can get a half-ton of something else and think about a blend? Wikipedia says very spicy, tannic, not much acidity... maybe a little Syrah for acid?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

himajinga posted:

My partner and I went to the Beaujolais Nouveau release party at Bastille last night, holy poo poo I need to drink more Beaujolais. I haven't been to a tasting where I drank this much wine and really liked everything on the table.

Yesss join the afwe dark side. If you want some recs based on what you liked there, holler. I drink as much Beaujolais as, erm, other wine put together. Really anything from the gang of four would be worth a look to start.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

idiotsavant posted:

Abouriou sounds like a rough grape to make a varietal wine out of... any chance you can get a half-ton of something else and think about a blend? Wikipedia says very spicy, tannic, not much acidity... maybe a little Syrah for acid?

If you're going to make varietal Abouiou, you might as well make varietal Abouriou. Just get your acid in a bag and say you didn't, like 90% of new world producers do. Besides, unless you're using syrah verjus, California syrah might not always be soupy (though it often is) but it ain't exactly Chinon either.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

pork never goes bad posted:

Yesss join the afwe dark side. If you want some recs based on what you liked there, holler. I drink as much Beaujolais as, erm, other wine put together. Really anything from the gang of four would be worth a look to start.

Hahaha I'd never heard 'afwe' before but after some googling it feels like a great descriptor of what I'm super about. I'd love some recs, always into new wines under $40 that I can drink in a reasonable time frame since my cellar seems to be rapidly filling with "drink in 10 years" WA cab and syrah, which will be nice eventually but I love 2-5 years past vintage funky french nonsense just as much.

E: Also, I don't drink much if any California wine and can't really afford Bordeaux so I don't exactly know what is meant by "Parkerized" or what specifically his taste is (I've heard "big", "extracted", "sweet finish", what does "extraction" taste like?). Is there a wine that's less than say $40 that would be emblematic of that style so I have a reference point?

himajinga fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I am also a huge Beaujolais fan and I've even had a decent Nouveau or two, though the Crus are very much preferable. Almost every year I bring Morgon or Cotes de Brouilly or some other Cru to my family and every year I end up drinking the whole thing. The great thing about wine ingrates is that it makes it acceptable for you to polish off the bottle yourself.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

himajinga posted:

Hahaha I'd never heard 'afwe' before but after some googling it feels like a great descriptor of what I'm super about. I'd love some recs, always into new wines under $40 that I can drink in a reasonable time frame since my cellar seems to be rapidly filling with "drink in 10 years" WA cab and syrah, which will be nice eventually but I love 2-5 years past vintage funky french nonsense just as much.

E: Also, I don't drink much if any California wine and can't really afford Bordeaux so I don't exactly know what is meant by "Parkerized" or what specifically his taste is (I've heard "big", "extracted", "sweet finish", what does "extraction" taste like?). Is there a wine that's less than say $40 that would be emblematic of that style so I have a reference point?

Mollydooker Shiraz. Even their second wine The Boxer often punches in at 16% or higher and is the quintessential Parker wine.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Kasumeat posted:

Mollydooker Shiraz. Even their second wine The Boxer often punches in at 16% or higher and is the quintessential Parker wine.

Don't forget the Mollydooker shake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTw6nOj80k

I'm kind of experiencing wine burnout at the moment and am skipping the holiday sample madness. I think there's a Crémant d'Alsace somewhere in the house... Going to see if the local Chinese joint minds if I bring it in. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Earlier in this thread I protested the idea that Robert Parker (and those working for him) only liked Parkerized wines. I had a subscription for a few months and found a big variety of wines getting high scores, including delicate earthy reds. But having tasted a lot more since then, there sure is a category of reds that deserve the moniker. I tasted a Spanish red that got a 98, I've forgot the name but it was high 15, cooked plum etc. It's the first time I've thought of a wine as stupid. What a stupid wine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kasumeat posted:

If you're going to make varietal Abouiou, you might as well make varietal Abouriou. Just get your acid in a bag and say you didn't, like 90% of new world producers do. Besides, unless you're using syrah verjus, California syrah might not always be soupy (though it often is) but it ain't exactly Chinon either.

Idk man, sounds pretty lame. If you're gonna fake it then what's the point of using weird grapes? Even so, I don't understand why so many people insist on making varietal wines out of blending grapes. I'm not saying you can only do it with the noble grapes, but there's probably a reason that its primary AOC allows Syrah and Merlot in there. And Cali Syrah holds its acid just fine if you aren't picking at 27 brix.

Also don't lie about your wine like a little baby bitch.

re: getting into Beaujolais etc - Jean-Paul Brun "L'Ancien" comes through Dressner so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, it's like 18 bucks, and it's just yummy, gulpable Gamay. Also Kermit Lynch imports Lapierre, and the "Raisins Gaulois" is another 15ish dollar wine that isn't crazy deep or anything, but it's super delicious.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

himajinga posted:

Honestly almost any Cali red wine from Trader Joes will probably give you an idea. You're looking for adjectives like jammy, raisined, oaky (or any oak indicators - caramel, toffee, butterscotch, etc). Probably relatively low acid and usually not very tannic, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any opinions on https://us.nakedwines.com/ ? I got a handful of vouchers for $100 packed in with other things I've ordered, but they all require you spend $160 to use (so $160 of wine for $60). I think I get the idea behind the site but no real idea if anything they carry is any good.