Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I can't find the post, but whoever mentioned that the EU stuff like the Sunkiller and how it was like a 10 year wrote it was apparently prophetic:

(Spoilering for anyone who doesn't want to hear stuff about the new movie.)

Abrams said in an interview that the movie will have the "Starkiller" which is like the Death Star but with more power. And that Kylo Ren and his Army will be like Vader and his baddies but more dangerous. Hopefully it doesn't end up as cheesy as it sounds. Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/632791-j-j-abrams-talks-star-wars-the-force-awakens-starkiller-base-domhnall-gleeson-on-general-hux

Or maybe it will just make the SWTOR stories better by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hmm, how do we make our Jedi players feel like big heroes? How about some long windy tunnels filled with innocent menial labourers that they have to carve through to reach a series of identical and meaningless objectives?

Great! Will there be a sense of peril or urgency about this mission?

No! They'll be so overwhelmingly powerful that the whole ordeal will be tedious! Good job, we've done it again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Based on what I've read itt LS Sith sounds like it might make me feel like less of a monster c/d?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

Based on what I've read itt LS Sith sounds like it might make me feel like less of a monster c/d?

It will. LS Sith makes you one of the few sane people in a galaxy filled with sanctimonious Jedi, power-mad Sith, self-righteous Republic soldiers, incompetent Imperials, and the odd eldritch horror.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
LS Sith Warrior has more than a few occasions where you tell someone that you don't want to hurt them, they attack you, you beat them down, and then they're still incredulous that you don't want to kill them considering that they're still alive. You just keep getting more and more exasperated.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Spoilers for the Sith Warrior/Inquisitor plot: So I'm 2/2 on corrupting padawans now. Jaesa's was cool because it felt natural and was a big act climax but wow Ashara's felt just more dumb than anything else.

As a Jedi do I get to un-corrupt Sith apprentices? Turnabout seems fair play.

Also yes LS Sith Warrior is fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The LS Warrior is like some kind of... Dark Knight.

I'm actually starting a Jedi Knight now, does going Dark Side with them work out narrative-wise

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pierson posted:

Spoilers for the Sith Warrior/Inquisitor plot: So I'm 2/2 on corrupting padawans now. Jaesa's was cool because it felt natural and was a big act climax but wow Ashara's felt just more dumb than anything else.

Nope, but if you are a female Consular you get an awesome plotline with Nadia where you are actually training her. Male Consular is too busy trying to sex her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

Nope, but if you are a female Consular you get an awesome plotline with Nadia where you are actually training her. Male Consular is too busy trying to sex her.

Male Consular is optionally too busy trying to stop her from sexing him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cythereal posted:

Male Consular is optionally too busy trying to stop her from sexing him.

Not her fault. No female is capable of resisting Nolan North.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Iron Tusk posted:

As an aside, if you want to run SM ops and no one is at whatever moment, just start up a group yourself.

Well yeah. The reason I asking was because I wanted to know if there was a regular guild night established, like for HMs, which tend to be more efficient. I am also aware I can use group finder and /1 to ask pubbies in case that was someone elses next suggestion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierson posted:

No. One gets un-corrupted before she joins the party, and you can convince a couple of Sith Lords to join the Jedi, but there's nothing comparable to both Sith picking up a nubile young Padawan and corrupting her.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blackchamber posted:

Well yeah. The reason I asking was because I wanted to know if there was a regular guild night established, like for HMs, which tend to be more efficient. I am also aware I can use group finder and /1 to ask pubbies in case that was someone elses next suggestion.

For the most part we haven't had enough interest in "Regular" raid nights - even the pre-planned raids usually have us looking for 2-3 fill ins, despite there often being 30+ people on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pierson posted:

Sort of, there's one NPC you can turn away from the dark as a LS Knight. And one of your companions is a sith who's working with you out of convenince but if you try and convert him to the light he just laughs you off.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Medullah posted:

For the most part we haven't had enough interest in "Regular" raid nights - even the pre-planned raids usually have us looking for 2-3 fill ins, despite there often being 30+ people on.

OK well then I don't need to sweat my schedule. Thanks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kurieg posted:

LS Sith Warrior has more than a few occasions where you tell someone that you don't want to hurt them, they attack you, you beat them down, and then they're still incredulous that you don't want to kill them considering that they're still alive. You just keep getting more and more exasperated.

Being LS Sith seems to be even more terrifying to people, as they tend to assume that you're up to something extra devious and they can't figure it out

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Geniasis posted:

Being LS Sith seems to be even more terrifying to people, as they tend to assume that you're up to something extra devious and they can't figure it out

Jedi are especially prone to this. They are typically just really confused that you exist, and assume you have some kind of angle they can't see.

LS Sith is basically a dude convinced that both the Jedi and Sith are hosed and that it's his job to make the galaxy a saner place. Because make no mistake even reformer LS Sith still thinks the Jedi are garbage.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Jaesa's DS conversion was more fun (turn to the dark side young one. Wait wait whoaaaaa too much dark side reign it in a little), I like Ashara's result better as she figures out a synthesis of the two philosophies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DS Jaesa chews more scenery than a termite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jedi are especially prone to this. They are typically just really confused that you exist, and assume you have some kind of angle they can't see.

LS Sith is basically a dude convinced that both the Jedi and Sith are hosed and that it's his job to make the galaxy a saner place. Because make no mistake even reformer LS Sith still thinks the Jedi are garbage.

Does the method of making the galaxy a saner place involve murdering thousands of miners, technicians and prison wardens?

Ilum's lucky it's pretty cos it's dumb as a box of rocks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

Jaesa's DS conversion was more fun (turn to the dark side young one. Wait wait whoaaaaa too much dark side reign it in a little), I like Ashara's result better as she figures out a synthesis of the two philosophies.
I've literally only just recruited Ashara so I can't speak to their storylines as companions yet. Jaesa agreeing to go with me was a much more compelling scene though as she got to experience the failures of her Jedi master right in front of her and I gave her a new path to follow. Ashara watched me gun down two of her masters after she herself let me into their secret Jedi sanctum and then went "welp guess I can't go back, I'm yours now" and the VA made her sound barely concerned about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierson posted:

I've literally only just recruited Ashara so I can't speak to their storylines as companions yet. Jaesa agreeing to go with me was a much more compelling scene though as she got to experience the failures of her Jedi master right in front of her and I gave her a new path to follow. Ashara watched me gun down two of her masters after she herself let me into their secret Jedi sanctum and then went "welp guess I can't go back, I'm yours now" and the VA made her sound barely concerned about it.

Ashara's fall to the dark side happens *after* her recruitment, not beforehand like Jaesa. Ashara joins you because she kind of hated being a Jedi, has nowhere else to go, and if you're threatening she's terrified of you. Her character and what she's doing on your ship only fill in after she joins the party.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

It's funny that even LS, as an inquisitor you are still batshit crazy. Just ... a nice(ish) batshit crazy.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Pierson posted:

For some reason the fight bugged out for me and she actually attacked them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

sassassin posted:

Does the method of making the galaxy a saner place involve murdering thousands of miners, technicians and prison wardens?

Ilum's lucky it's pretty cos it's dumb as a box of rocks.

I have killed remarkably little non combatants as a LS Sith Warrior. So overall no.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have killed remarkably little non combatants as a LS Sith Warrior. So overall no.

It does suffer a bit from the elitist "Kill all the bad guy's security, who are probably just hired guns or in fear for their life, and then you have to spare the actual leader or you're evil"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, this is Star Wars so the bad guys are always evil.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hmm, I have some thinking to do re: my galactic allegiance.

Jedi Knights spend all their time cleaning up Republic-built superweapons projects (some of them with no possible use other than warcrimes) and being an attack dog for bloodthirsty dipshit Republic generals. The number of missions based around going to where "the enemy" lives and just killing everyone in sight is disturbing. Got to get them "Imps". Or gangs and other undesirables.

Probably why everyone's constantly shouting about the dire, galaxy-destroying consequences of failure. Got to distract us somehow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It does suffer a bit from the elitist "Kill all the bad guy's security, who are probably just hired guns or in fear for their life, and then you have to spare the actual leader or you're evil"

Honestly, I think that's just gameplay concessions in a game where the primary method of play is killing people with red indicators. See also the Jedi Consular story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

No, this is Star Wars so the bad guys are always evil.

Is this the same Star Wars in which it turned out the big scary dude in the cape was actually Luke's father and was redeemed at the end?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The Republic is exactly like the Empire, just with a little less slavery and quite a bit more hypocrisy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it's the one where it turned out he slaughtered a bunch of kids, twice, and was beyond redemption.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ah, so the Star Wars where the drug smuggler saved the day?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gasoline posted:

The Republic is exactly like the Empire, just with a little less slavery and quite a bit more hypocrisy.

Which is the greater crime???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Han Solo is only considered a smuggler by the evil Empire. He was bringing puppies to orphans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

Han Solo is only considered a smuggler by the evil Empire. He was bringing puppies to orphans.

He is also a slaveowner.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

sassassin posted:

Hmm, I have some thinking to do re: my galactic allegiance.

Jedi Knights spend all their time cleaning up Republic-built superweapons projects (some of them with no possible use other than warcrimes) and being an attack dog for bloodthirsty dipshit Republic generals. The number of missions based around going to where "the enemy" lives and just killing everyone in sight is disturbing. Got to get them "Imps". Or gangs and other undesirables.

Probably why everyone's constantly shouting about the dire, galaxy-destroying consequences of failure. Got to distract us somehow.

You're still going to kill a lot of people, don't get me wrong, this is an MMO, but the Sith Warrior (can) tries to be efficient about it and to target people who's deaths actually serve a purpose in the context of the ongoing quasi-war.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Ashara's fall to the dark side happens *after* her recruitment, not beforehand like Jaesa. Ashara joins you because she kind of hated being a Jedi, has nowhere else to go, and if you're threatening she's terrified of you. Her character and what she's doing on your ship only fill in after she joins the party.
I'll look forward to that then. Companion storylines are tied to character storyline progression now right, not the favour system? Fuckin' hated that system.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Star Wars would be more accurately named 'The Bad Guy Wasn't So Bad After All... Wars (even Palpatine made some good points)'

The evil guys only seem pure evil if you were 8 when you first watched it and haven't thought about it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know you have to think that or you've wasted your life, but no. George Lucas made it his mission to remove any nuance. It's all as black and white as it gets.

Any scene where a Republic character appeared to be kind of a jerk? Well it turns out that the Empire killed his wife 2 days earlier.

That good Imp? Republic spy. Or he was faking it.

The half naked guy who felt really sad about that rancor? Rapist.

• Locked thread