Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Definitely not a good episode, but I still like the show.

loving Christ do I hate copwife, though. Every thing about her character is just horrible, and I'll be damned if I ever figure out how Chloe Sevigny keeps getting work. Just loving awful all the way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
She seemed like a "good" and kind enough person early on, but she's gone from kind of bland and milquetoast Good Person to straight-up piece of poo poo. She pushed her already unstable husband over the edge and he's probably going to become a serial killer now, all so she could be with her Not-Vampire son.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Chloe Sevigny is pretty awesome, actually.

Though her character in this is poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i really wish Chloe's character doesn't look like she's full on depressed sleepwalking all the time

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The small time skip was definitely terrible, like we jumped from Chloe Sevigny being turned to immediately giving advice to ghosts and not being phased by a dead body, and Liz and Tristan never speaking but now they're cornholing each other and now one is dead (again) :what:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah there's basically zero motivation for her to suddenly decide to drive her estranged husband insane.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I just don't get these vampires at all. They seem to walk around in daylight no problem, except if you're not the countess you can't leave the hotel. Except that's not true because Chloe Sevigny went from forced to sleeping in a glass coffin to going back to work in a well-lit hospital. So it's only true you can't leave if you're a ghost or if you're directly under the countess's sway that day?

Also they attack lots of people but they need to keep children around because their blood is special, but those kids need to eat too. They go from video games to glass coffins, back and forth, because...just because.

The girls were trapped and bled out for the kids, right? Yet they have to wander the halls. Until...they discover a purpose! To get naked and trick horny guys so they can go in a room, yay! Except they can't go back in the hallways now. What.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Ghosts are bound to the hotel. Vamps can leave freely, but most of them are bound to the Countess. Tristan was her new squeeze and Iris is the inside man for Donovan, who has been coming and going (speaking of, where has he been staying anyway?)

Sunlight supposedly makes them weaker, which seemed to be happening to Alex at the hospital and Iris at Ramona's house, but it was played off as symptoms of hunger, and probably a case of them forgetting their own rules already.

The children haven't really been explained, nor has the blood process. Iris was apparently attempting to make the foreign girls' blood more clean and pure so it would taste better and sate hunger longer. Filtering blood through the children using dialysis appears to help purify it as well. I guess you have to think of it like wine - all kinds will get the job done, but some are more enjoyable.

Being a ghost is a terrible existence, because you're stuck in the same place, reliving the same feelings. The Swedish girls couldn't find their way out of the hotel to visit Universal Studios, barely aware they were dead. As goofy as it sounds, scaring people, killing people, and having crazy bloody threesomes, are pretty much their only options to break up the monotony of wandering the exact same place forever. You can't stop being a ghost, it seems, so you might as well be happy with the freedom to do whatever nasty thing you want.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

There was one more piece of the "blood rules," revealed: if you drink drunk/drugged blood, you get the effects. That's why Donovan was all woozy after drinking the homeless street blood and Ramona had to put him on dialysis to sober him up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah there's basically zero motivation for her to suddenly decide to drive her estranged husband insane.

She did it to drive John out of the hotel entirely so he wouldn't snoop around or run into Holden again. It's still really lovely and barely makes sense, and kind of feels like she's only really doing it because the script needs to push John along into being framed as the Ten Commandments Killer or something.

At this point I don't think John is actually the killer, but I believe he'll either be framed for it or else be driven so crazy that he'll pick up where the killer left off and do the last few murders himself.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize while watching but I definitely agree with the sentiment that it feels like we skipped an episode, I think that analysis hits the nail right on the head. Not a terrible episode in my eyes, but it was just like "woah, okay, this is happening now I guess" Would have been nice to see Liz and Finn Whitrock either connect for the first time or make it more of a surprise to us in some way, THEN show the first scene we saw with them. And even one short scene with Alex realizing how tenuous her situation is with Gaga and Holden to elevate the importance of getting John Lowe out of there instead of just "he has to go. :geno:"

And the Swedish girl poo poo was super contrived and rushed. After that scene with John Lowe where he's freaking out and they cross in front of the camera and go "we have a purpose", ugh. So dumb. Though I did like the scene where the naked one jumped on the dude's back, that was sweet.

On second thought maybe I didn't like this episode very much...still into the series though, not enough to turn me off completely yet.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Still loving this season. Glad to see the poor Swedish girls again. After months trapped there, I guess killing sounds like a good idea. Poor things.

Plus we saw murderhouse again! How long until Constance turns up with the antichrist Harmon child and Lana Winters from Asylum?

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

RugClockVexx posted:

I'd like to echo this sentiment. It's almost like they write the script like Matt and Trey do for South Park. If the writers on AH gave a poo poo they'd map out the entire season beforehand and try to hit those dramatic marks. It would've been ridiculously easy to have Liz and Tristan have a relationship, there was plenty of time to establish that. I think after an episode of seeing vampire kids eat an entire (?) school's faculty we'd get a follow up on that, as well. It's almost as though, instead of each season being a vingette, each episode is a vingette.

Here's hoping the Vamp kids start their own school. Then next season the Vamp kids can go to sleepaway camp and meet the Witch school's kids. They can have a whole buncha adventures and get a spin-off prequel series on Netflix.

In reference to the bolded part, this is so true. Especially with the show running over it's time limit each and every week anyways, you couldn't take a couple of minutes in the last episode, or maybe even the past 2 episodes, to talk about this? Make the audience more invested in the relationship Liz and Tristan now have? Nope.

Tristan - I love you
Liz - I love you too
Liz (to Gaga) - I love him
Gaga - I don't share
Tristan - I'm dead now
Liz - You bitch.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat that episode was weird.

So Liz and gay model are in love but have literally never been in a scene together, at least that I can remember. The Swedish girls are hot as gently caress and are now in charge of getting naked on screen for no apparent reason which I'm okay with. Season 1 and season 5 are tied together? But they're supposed to be separate universes each season?

Where the gently caress are they going with this season?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Doltos posted:

But they're supposed to be separate universes each season?

They're not. Freakshow had two characters from Asylum.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoctorX posted:

They're not. Freakshow had two characters from Asylum.

Oh yeah that was stupid too.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's been said many different ways, but AHS doesn't really care about being a good show anymore. Rather, they pack in as many crazy, goofy, sexy (?) moments as they can to maximize water cooler potential. Originally I asked how they could stretch this concept across 13 episodes, but there's a lot they could have expanded on, between Liz/Tristan, Countess/Drake, and even easing into Locke eventually taking residence in the hotel.

As much as I liked how shocking and all-of-the-sudden the school scene was in the previous episode, they could have used that time for some foreshadowing. Simply cut from Max eating his parents and going off to school, never to be seen again, as it would be equally as ambiguous as the vampire kids making up their story to the authorities. Meanwhile, Tristan comes down waiting for Countess to get ready for whatever Halloween gala they're attending, sees Liz reading a novel, makes an off hand comment about hearing of it from some magazine, a bit of chatter, Liz suggests he come up and see her sometime if he'd like to borrow it. Really anything beyond throwing the two in bed together in our faces.

This is a show where viewers want to care about the characters, after all, not just see them shed their fabulous outfits so they can fake grind until a shot of some man butt before some mangled tooth abomination comes to ruin the fun. I think maybe that's what Murphy and Co. truly aren't getting at this point.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So this last episode was just Ryan Murphy going down his who's-rear end-do-I-want-to-see-today list.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

OmegaBR posted:

It's been said many different ways, but AHS doesn't really care about being a good show anymore. Rather, they pack in as many crazy, goofy, sexy (?) moments as they can to maximize water cooler potential. Originally I asked how they could stretch this concept across 13 episodes, but there's a lot they could have expanded on, between Liz/Tristan, Countess/Drake, and even easing into Locke eventually taking residence in the hotel.

As much as I liked how shocking and all-of-the-sudden the school scene was in the previous episode, they could have used that time for some foreshadowing. Simply cut from Max eating his parents and going off to school, never to be seen again, as it would be equally as ambiguous as the vampire kids making up their story to the authorities. Meanwhile, Tristan comes down waiting for Countess to get ready for whatever Halloween gala they're attending, sees Liz reading a novel, makes an off hand comment about hearing of it from some magazine, a bit of chatter, Liz suggests he come up and see her sometime if he'd like to borrow it. Really anything beyond throwing the two in bed together in our faces.

This is a show where viewers want to care about the characters, after all, not just see them shed their fabulous outfits so they can fake grind until a shot of some man butt before some mangled tooth abomination comes to ruin the fun. I think maybe that's what Murphy and Co. truly aren't getting at this point.

Yeah I'd pretty much agree. The show has always been about spectacle over substance, and what's generally agreed as the best season (Asylum) is the one that tips the balance the most in the latter direction. Asylum still went a little too much up its own rear end toward the end and didn't manage to give terribly satisfying endings to some of the subplots, but at least it had sympathetic characters and some degree of plotting and suspense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's probably because Asylum was the only show that Ryan Murphy had to lessen his involvement with. Between Glee and AHS and that failed HBO pilot he was trying to sell, apparently he had to take a more hands-off approach, and had Tim Minear step in (he's the other dude who made Firefly, amongst other things).

But apparently Season 2 wasn't very popular, and Minear was stepped down to being a staff writer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

Simply cut from Max eating his parents and going off to school, never to be seen again, as it would be equally as ambiguous as the vampire kids making up their story to the authorities.

It probably would've been fine to go with that, and then later just have somebody half-watching the news and there being a report about a mass killing at a school. As it stands, it looks like something more would've come from the vampire kids but they'll probably never be mentioned again. So it was kind of a waste of time to show us 15 minutes of that go-nowhere plot thread.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Wow it really was as bad as everyone said it was. The problem I'm having with Gaga's acting is that she has a very flat affect, which works great when she's this cold, impenetrable vampire mistress, but makes it hard to believe her in things like the opening scene with Dr. Montgomery, or when she's interacting with Bartholomew. There's no real emotion. Come to think of it that's my problem with Alex interacting with Holden, too. The acting isn't good enough for me to buy it.

As half-assed as it was, I did like the scene with Liz and Tristan. I thought their acting was great, it seemed like they worked really hard to sell it as a believable relationship, it just...wasn't because we had no basis for it. The whole thing made me feel awful for Liz, so I'm wondering if she's out for some revenge of her own.

It also needs more Evan Peters. We've got the basics of his story but I want another murder montage where he's so jovial throughout :allears: Hell, give me some interaction between him and his most-likely-the-Countess wife.

And lastly, poor Scarlett. It most likely won't go anywhere but at this point with her dad being nuts and her mom straight-up ditching her, I want her to exact some kind of revenge on them. Especially on Alex. Parents have favorites, that's not a big secret, but dear god what a lovely mom.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

coronatae posted:

As half-assed as it was, I did like the scene with Liz and Tristan. I thought their acting was great, it seemed like they worked really hard to sell it as a believable relationship, it just...wasn't because we had no basis for it. The whole thing made me feel awful for Liz, so I'm wondering if she's out for some revenge of her own.

Wanna bet Tristan comes back as a ghost and seeks revenge on the Countess?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh absolutely. Liz gets to have him now for all eternity. Maybe Liz will also die and they can be glorious eternal lovers, finding happiness the way the Harmons did.

The Elisa Lam reference with the teacher who killed herself was a nice touch. I'm surprised they haven't gone with more of that story.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey folks! I dug the first episode then kinda drifted away, I've been burned by this show the last two seasons. Has it dropped the ball yet or is it still good?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Calico Heart posted:

Hey folks! I dug the first episode then kinda drifted away, I've been burned by this show the last two seasons. Has it dropped the ball yet or is it still good?
It's still entertaining, which is more than I can say for Freakshow by this point.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Imo it doesn't really hold much promise of being in a better tier than Coven/Freakshow, but it's still visually entertaining with some decent acting here and there. So no, not gone to poo poo yet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Terrible. It's worse than either of the last two seasons. Not worth picking up again in my opinion. Stay away

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Finally caught up with the show.
Man, this certainly is a season of AHS. A good thing is that actors are given new challenges outside their usual roles. Peters is not mopey and "damaged but loveable" anymore. Paulson is not a weak victim. Both are, along with O'Hare, Bates, Gaga and Rabe, just killing it.

Sadly, the season still has the same problems as the previous ones. There's too many subplots and monsters, too much inconsistency and too many scenes that don't make sense, like the detective going in without backup or notifying anyone when a serial killer calls and tells him too come to his latest murder scene.
The school vampire massacre was the first time this season I really groaned. I wonder if they'll ever be mentioned again. Same thing with the rape demon/ghost/whatever with the drilldo, who just buttfucked Schmidt and never called back. So many plot threads just left hanging...

It also has the same strong points as the first four seasons. I really like the cast and I really like the visual design and cinematography. It's just sad that so much of the potential is wasted.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Rabe was awesome in her 8 minutes of screen time, but I think that's it for her this season so including her might be a bit misleading.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Rabe was awesome in her 8 minutes of screen time
After seeing Charlize Theron in Monster, no. Not really.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Mad Dragon posted:

After seeing Charlize Theron in Monster, no. Not really.

My wife loves real crime and has forced me to watch multiple Eileen Wournos docs. I'd say it was pretty good. Either way seems we agree Lily Rabe is not killing it this season!

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Bartholomew :kimchi:

If you didn't get to see, here's what Bartholowmew looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/0NAYnKb.png

Bina fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 16, 2015

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

hepscat posted:

I just don't get these vampires at all. They seem to walk around in daylight no problem, except if you're not the countess you can't leave the hotel. Except that's not true because Chloe Sevigny went from forced to sleeping in a glass coffin to going back to work in a well-lit hospital. So it's only true you can't leave if you're a ghost or if you're directly under the countess's sway that day?

Also they attack lots of people but they need to keep children around because their blood is special, but those kids need to eat too. They go from video games to glass coffins, back and forth, because...just because.

The girls were trapped and bled out for the kids, right? Yet they have to wander the halls. Until...they discover a purpose! To get naked and trick horny guys so they can go in a room, yay! Except they can't go back in the hallways now. What.

No where in the entire season did it ever say the Vampires couldn't leave. They clearly can and do leave without the countess any time they want. However, they usually like to stick around here because they're in love.

The countess uses the children as kind of like a super filter to get the best blood there is to get. Yes, she can and does feed on anyone, but blood straight from a victim is often not as good because it's polluted. So she uses the kids to feed off the victims then has the kids blood go through dialysis and given to her. It's like a regular victim is cocaine cut with additives and the kids blood is pure cocaine. Both will get you high, but one is clearly better than the other.

The girls are ghosts, killed in the hotel and unable to leave because thems the rules for ghosts. Usual lore for ghosts is they wander and do the same things over and over and over again - that's their hell. So the girls wander the halls looking for a way out. Almost like they don't realize they're dead. But now they know they're dead so in order to break up the wandering monotony, they need to find a purpose - something to do besides wander. Some ghosts torture guests, some kill them, some do obsessively clean sheets. The girls just have to find something they want to do. They didn't like killing the guy because it was over quick and they said "We can't go back into the hall" not because they literally can't but because they didn't want to. They didn't want to wander anymore but they had no idea what to do after they killed the guy. So Chloe suggested they torture the guests. Keeps them alive and so they can play with them longer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I haven't watched since the serial killer party, did I miss anything especially cool? Did rapeghost rape again?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nuebot posted:

So I haven't watched since the serial killer party, did I miss anything especially cool? Did rapeghost rape again?

Rapeghost has gone the way of the infantata, it appears.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Nnnnnnope. Maybe it's still too early to say but I think the serial killer party was the high point of the season. It was stupid and hilarious and amazing all at once.

I'm too lazy to check right now but was Sally still technically on hotel grounds when she picked up that guy for the serial killers? Chronologically that's before Halloween, which Murder House established as the one night ghosts can roam. But March said the night of his party was Devil's Night? So maybe that gives her some kind of special permission.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Bina posted:

Bartholomew :kimchi:

If you didn't get to see, here's what Bartholowmew looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/0NAYnKb.png

Isn't that an enemy from Binding of Isaac?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Flicker"

Will Drake's renovations uncover one of the hotel's greatest secrets; John undergoes a [very long overdue] psychological evaluation; the Countess learns the fate of her first love.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Isn't that an enemy from Binding of Isaac?

Pretty close.

Maybe John should have tried shooting tears and piss at it instead of bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I'm guessing that the Countess's first love is the one who turned her? Maybe they turned her, mentored her, and then abandoned her which is why she's a controlling weirdo now.

I hope someone is keeping track of all the outfits Lady Gaga has worn. So glamorous :allears:

• Locked thread