Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

A couple of friends are playing a round of tabletop 3/40k while my gaming group plays a session of Rogue Trader in the same room. Ultramarines legion list vs. 40k-era Cult Mechanicus/Skitarii list. Was hilarious to see Roboute accomplish little of note before getting vaporized by the skitarii shooting.

Compare this to Horus, where your enemy is basically castling up with a clenched rear end in a top hat until he decides it's time to show up and solo half the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
roboute was nearly killed by 10 schmucks what do you expect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

roboute was nearly killed by 10 schmucks what do you expect

To say nothing of radium jezzails and whatever the gently caress those AdMech spiderbots were carrying. :v:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Leviathan looks like what the Centurion armor was going for, but was too small to achieve.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How are Red Butchers and the Rampager Squads? The World Eaters look pretty good, but going heavy on assault seems risky.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

DeadGame posted:

How are Red Butchers and the Rampager Squads? The World Eaters look pretty good, but going heavy on assault seems risky.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

Okay, I'm going to run with my existing list for now but I'll look at some armour or artillery once I've got the hang of things. Graviton Rapiers and a Sicaran sound like fun.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DeadGame posted:

From what I hear, Rampagers are a bit overcosted for what they do (and Caedere weapons aren't totally poo poo hot) but could make a decent retinue unit for Kharn in a land raider if you're feeling a need for SKULLS, but I don't run them so take what I say with a grain of salt. Red Butchers, on the other hand, are fun as hell to paint and are two wound terminators with a 4++ invuln that are slow moving murder machines. They absolutely need some sort of transport though. They're slow as gently caress.

E: I'm building a World Eaters list that is mostly infantry-- 20 man tac blobs seem fun (I'm planning on at least two), particularly where World Eaters can build them to be nasty at shooting and brutal in assault. Also, free chain axes. And apothecaries are your friend.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 14, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
My night is gonna be spent playing with plastic 30k i never thought it would happen

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Same, building and painting the cataphractii to make my siege tyrants for an event tomorrow.

Gunna be rad as hell.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i forgot how boring the mk4 shoulders are

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

From what I hear, Rampagers are a bit overcosted for what they do (and Caedere weapons aren't totally poo poo hot) but could make a decent retinue unit for Kharn in a land raider if you're feeling a need for SKULLS, but I don't run them so take what I say with a grain of salt. Red Butchers, on the other hand, are fun as hell to paint and are two wound terminators with a 4++ invuln that are slow moving murder machines. They absolutely need some sort of transport though. They're slow as gently caress.

E: I'm building a World Eaters list that is mostly infantry-- 20 man tac blobs seem fun (I'm planning on at least two), particularly where World Eaters can build them to be nasty at shooting and brutal in assault. Also, free chain axes. And apothecaries are your friend.

gently caress me about to go pick up my box and I still can't decide between World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers.

Every time I read a post someone sways me in another direction.

E: maybe I'll just save them until the Thousand Sons upgrades are out.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ijyt posted:

gently caress me about to go pick up my box and I still can't decide between World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers.

Every time I read a post someone sways me in another direction.

E: maybe I'll just save them until the Thousand Sons upgrades are out.

Look at the colour schemes. What would you like to paint most?

Do you want brutal close combat?
Refined close combat?
Close in firepower?
Monsters?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anybody know anything about White Scars? I'd probably play them if I could learn to paint white right because then I'd be a proper special snowflake and good guy Mongol marines are the best.

I'm guessing they haven't got much love so far but I don't know, would like to make a mobile and tactically cunning army.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nopantsjack posted:

Anybody know anything about White Scars? I'd probably play them if I could learn to paint white right because then I'd be a proper special snowflake and good guy Mongol marines are the best.

I'm guessing they haven't got much love so far but I don't know, would like to make a mobile and tactically cunning army.

They're scheduled to be in the next book, I believe. Right now they just have a relic. I'd expect lots of [jet]bikes for their Rite of War.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Look at the colour schemes. What would you like to paint most?

Do you want brutal close combat?
Refined close combat?
Close in firepower?
Monsters?

All of the above :smith:

Basically I play SM Minotaurs and Tau in 40k, so a different playstyle would be welcome. I'm a little scared painting the purple of EC as I'm worried it'd look a bit crap on vehicles compared to infantry, always wanted to try some daemons too.

Also, Mk II Crusade is sold out on FW.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

e: well at least one of them is.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Picked up a betrayal at calth box today. the contemptor is so easy to assemble, i didn't even bother to find the instructions for it. the remainder of the models in the kit are very nice, Though i don't look forward to painting 30 goddamn spacemans identically.

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked
Hey fellas! I got into 40k a bit back in 2012. I'm looking to start up again. I had some Imperial Guard figures. I really like the sound of the new Adeptus Mechanicus dudes. Would it be possible to run them both simultaneously? I never got that far into the rulebooks I just painted a bit then gave up because money.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine wants to give this heresy thing a try with me. What's the closest analogue to the Grey Knights in the heresy era? Anything that they make a good proxy for with all the glaives and swords?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

A buddy of mine wants to give this heresy thing a try with me. What's the closest analogue to the Grey Knights in the heresy era? Anything that they make a good proxy for with all the glaives and swords?

First thing that comes to mind, at least for me, is Emperor's Children, at least with the glaives and swords.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also lets say I was going to go with World Eaters for my Heresy box. Would the first thing to do modelling wise be give all the duders chain axes, and have the terminators with lighting claws?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ijyt posted:

Also lets say I was going to go with World Eaters for my Heresy box. Would the first thing to do modelling wise be give all the duders chain axes, and have the terminators with lighting claws?

The books insist on adding a chainaxe to the model if go that upgrade route, but the group I play with doesn't care too much about WYSIWYG, so I get by with adding chain bayonets to everything.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The Calth box really doesn't have anything for the tactical marines besides bolters. If you want to go ccw and pistol I guess you are shopping for bits.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bunmo posted:

Hey fellas! I got into 40k a bit back in 2012. I'm looking to start up again. I had some Imperial Guard figures. I really like the sound of the new Adeptus Mechanicus dudes. Would it be possible to run them both simultaneously? I never got that far into the rulebooks I just painted a bit then gave up because money.

You bet! You can ally one other faction in the Age of Darkness. He needs to decide how to run his guard- as Solar Auxilia or as Imperial Militia/Cults. That can be either his primary or allied detachment and one of the 3 flavours of admech can be the other.

TKIY posted:

Custodes, the emperors body guard, which are due in a later book.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Mildly offtopic, but I've had a longrunning project to make myself a modular Zone Mortalis table, and I have ben toying around with a special mision/gamemode inspired by Space Crusade - I originally intended it fof 40K but I don't see why it wouldn't work for 30K. For now I'm calling it Double Blind.

I'm still nailing down the details, but here's the gist of it;

-Densely packed, smallish table (4'x4') representing claustrophobic chambers and corridors. Lines of sight are generally short, favoring close-range shooting and melee. Many rooms have terrain (barrels, stacks of crates, weird machinery etc etc) that further function as area terrain for cover saves and/ or difficult/dangerous terrain or other effects.

-Relatively small armies- 500-750-1000 points, I think. The density and geography of the table make big armies unwieldy as gently caress.

-As in standard Zone Mortalis, only models that can actually fit in those corridors - roughly dreadnought-size (60mm base) and smaller. Most walls in ZM ar two inches thick and thus break unit coherency.

-Vehicles are allowed, but models are not alowed to pass through sections where the base of the model or the hull of the vehicle cannot fit through (most Zone Mortalis corridors and doorways are two to four inches wide).

-No skimmers, fast skimmers, bikes, jetbikes or fliers.

-Jump/jetpack infantry/MCs are allowed, but they cannot jump over corridor walls (unless they can somehow phase through solid walls - the ceiling is in the way) and likely get to make a dangerous terrain test everytime they jump.

-Deep Striking via airdropping/jump pack is not allowed (drop pods, mycetic spores, etc) but models that DS via teleportation, tunneling through the ground and similar are allowed to do so (daemons, terminators, raveners, canoptek wraiths hooo)

-Barrage weapons are allowed, as long as the model it is attached to follows the above guidelines, but may only fire indirectly.

-Every unit in your army list is assigned a number, symbol or other signifier. Independent characters attached to a unit temporarily adopt the unit's identifier.

-Each player receives a 'blip token' for each unit they have. These tokens are two-sided - one side is blank, the other (the face) has a squad identifier on it. The blank sides should all be identical, and distinct from your opponent's. In addition, each player receives 1d3 'ghost blips', blip tokens that have no squad identifier but are otherwise identical to 'real' blips. (Spare bases painted up with symbols on their undersides should be alright, as long as they're all the same size and shape).

-Instead of deploying your models, you instead deploy your blip tokens, with infiltration, scout moves and the like taken into account. Tokens are deployed face down, and you may check your own tokens whenever you want (though you should take care to place the token exactly where it was when you put it back). Don't let your opponents see your token faces, obviously.

-Blip tokens move like stock infantry (6 inch move, 1d6 run) and hold objectives, regardless of type. A blip is unaffected by any special rules that would affect its movement speed (such as Fleet, Dunestrider or Slow and Purposeful) with the exception of Immobilized - blips representing units that are immobile for whatever reason may not move once deployed. Blip tokens may not move through walls unless their unit has a special rule and/or wargear that lets them pass through solid walls.

If an independent character leaves a unit, the character's blip is placed next to the unit's blip before either moves. A character who joins a unit has their blip removed from the table (a tac squad with a captain and a chaplain attached uses only the tac squad's blip until one or both characters leave the unit).

-Blip tokens cannot fire shooting weapons or use psychic powers possessed by the unit it represents.

-Blip tokens are only revealed when discovered.

A blip token is discovered when it gains line of sight to your opponent's models or blip tokens (for line of sight purposes, assume the tokens are an inch tall).

Flip both blip tokens face-up.

Any blank blips are immediately removed - nothing there but a sensor ghost! Ghost blips do not reveal real units, and any face-up blips remaining are flipped back face-down.

If both blips were 'real', the units represented by the blips both roll 1d6 and add their highest Initiative score.

The unit with the lower roll is revealed first. Place any one model from the unit within 3" of the blip token (NOT on the other siee of a wall!). Remove the blip token, then place the rest of the unit in coherency, with no model further than 6" from the initial model or closer than 1" to models from other units, friendly or hostile. Any models that cannot be placed (no room on the board in range) are lost as casualties.

The unit with the higher roll is revealed second, exactly as above save that the initial model may be placed anywhere within 6" of the blip token (and still not on the other side of a wall). This represents the faster, better-prepared (or luckier) unit getting those crucial few seconds more to attack a surprised foe or settle into defensive positions.

In the event of a drawn roll, the player whose turn it is reveals his unit last. Fortune favours the bold!

If one of the units involved was already revealed, the units roll as above. If the unit to be revealed wins, they position their initial model anywhere within 6" of the blip token. If they lose, they position it within 3". The unit is revealed otherwise exactly as above.

If more than two units are revealed at the same time, all units involved roll as above. Units are revealed in order of lowest roll to highest as above, with the highest-rolling unit placing its initial model within 6" of its blip token and the rest within 3" of their respective blip tokens.

A unit revealed while it is moving finishes its movement, once revealed, and may not move further that movement phase. It may run in the following shooting phase, if normally allowed to, and is treated as having moved for the purposes of firing heavy weapons.

Once revealed, a unit stays revealed for the rest of the game until destroyed, and must follow all the usual rules affecting its movement.

Chances are this is completely broken in one way or another but I think it might make for interesting for-shiggles games.
Additions I have been thinking of involve certain rules/wargear interacting with blips (auspex scanning to reveal units early, acute senses and the like allowing you to roll for reveal twice and pick the highest) and gear like melta bombs and chainfists letting you koolaid yourself through walls.

TL;DR: Space Crusade-esque radar blip shenanigans and close quarters combat in densely packed corridors!

Edit: phoneposting typos

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 15, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Do we think we'll see Forge World stuff in stores any time, or is this going to be a mail order game? Takes forever to get things from the UK.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Do we think we'll see Forge World stuff in stores any time, or is this going to be a mail order game? Takes forever to get things from the UK.

That's deeply unlikely to ever happen, as things stand.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TKIY posted:

The Calth box really doesn't have anything for the tactical marines besides bolters. If you want to go ccw and pistol I guess you are shopping for bits.

Anvil Industries does some nice chainaxe bits if anyone is wondering.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

ijyt posted:

I got some Catulan Reavers previously when I was planning a SoH force last year. I have since given up on plan however am planning to use them for my blood Angels. I have not checked but would guess I have about 15 chainaxes that I am not going to use that you can have if this is the route you want to go down.

Also,I have a large number of SoH shoulder pads I am not going to use, both the reaver ones and the standard ones. I don't know the mark but if someone can use them for their 30k army please let me know.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JackMack posted:

I got some Catulan Reavers previously when I was planning a SoH force last year. I have since given up on plan however am planning to use them for my blood Angels. I have not checked but would guess I have about 15 chainaxes that I am not going to use that you can have if this is the route you want to go down.

Might take you up on that offer!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It seems silly that the Dreads have a different design since CSM Dreads were the same design as the standard Loyalist ones and they're supposed to still all be using the same tech since it never advances.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Wat? The good old blocky dreads we've had forever were used in 30k times as well. The Contemptors and such were just diff types used at the same time, not necessarily the only ones.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeadGame posted:

Depends on your store, with the combining of GW and Forge World earlier this year they made it so that Forge World is available from distributors.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Taear posted:

It seems silly that the Dreads have a different design since CSM Dreads were the same design as the standard Loyalist ones and they're supposed to still all be using the same tech since it never advances.

The blocky dreads are mark IV and Vs, and were in use in the heresy, I've got three I'll be painting up.

So there are Contemptors, Deredeos and Leviathans as well, but space to add more in the future, just like there are now four distinct robot types.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Further DreadChat: Contemptors are really cool models. I just got a Death Guard one for my mans and it is super neat.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the arms for the various builds sold separately so I can just magnetize the plastic chassis?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the arms for the various builds sold separately so I can just magnetize the plastic chassis?

Arms are sold separately, but the shoulder joint you attach them to are sold with the main body of the Contemptor. You could magnetize the joint between them though, probably.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SteelMentor posted:

Arms are sold separately, but the shoulder joint you attach them to are sold with the main body of the Contemptor. You could magnetize the joint between them though, probably.

Contemptors take magnets really well. You simply slot magnets into the upper arm joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fearless posted:

Contemptors take magnets really well. You simply slot magnets into the upper arm joint.

Which magnets would you suggest using for that?