Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Excession, Matter.

seriously excession

and look to windward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok look to windward actually did catch my attention but the :filez: version of the audiobook I got is missing parts

guess I'll get an audible account

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh also the version I have is ripped from audio cassette and not read by peter kenny, lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh also the version I have is ripped from audio cassette and not read by peter kenny, lol

you failed

also look to windward isn't culture proper, iirc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well it's got a homomdan in it and it's about the culture messing with the chelgrians, so

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Dark horse suggestion: inversions

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
the algebraist isnt culture either but its really good

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
surface detail has gladiatorial pedal-powered battleship fights.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

the algebraist isnt culture either but its really good

the algebraist is hilarious

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

the algebraist is a galaxy-spanning quest for the secret of an ancient and incredibly powerful civilization, which turns out in the end to be a math joke

i love it so much

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

forty-two :classiclol:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
excession is very good and p. funny in parts

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
yeah excession is great it has a scene where yospos is the future

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
did anyone reading the algebraist not see the twist coming the first time that "i was born in a water moon" passage showed up though

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I didn't, because I'm a dumbass. I figured it out juuuuust as it was being revealed, and it made the book really entertaining

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
so i'm into season 3 of person of interest

i like the idea of the machine becoming independent but so far not much has happened

also i wish root would die but she's the quirky type of insane that would make her stick around for a while

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sham bam bamina! posted:

finally got around to looking at the pyf bad books thread and holy lol am i glad i that never bothered with the rama sequels.

please tell me of further rama sequel idiocies, yospos. i thirst for the curse of knowledge.

okay, so at the end of rama 2, there are three humans who are on the rama spacecraft as it leaves our solar system. you've got the young scientist nerd guy, the young scientist woman, and the older ex-military astronaut (mid-late 60s?)

the young couple had fallen in love by the end of the book, and they start bangin', and she gets pregnant. and basically the adults decide that they should basically start a little human colony, which includes having the older guy try to knock up the lady so they have some genetic diversity. she winds up having a total of three kids, i think. or maybe it was four?

anyway, eventually (years later) the rama spacecraft arrives at some space station where there's aliens who partly explain what the hell the rama spacecraft are doing (they're basically supposed to support little colonies that allow them to study microcosms of alien cultures, i think) and that after asking a lot of questions they'd like to send some of the humans back with another rama spacecraft that's intended to house a human colony (along with a couple of other colonies)

note the qualifier "some". they don't want to send ALL the humans back because they want to keep some around, in case something goes wrong with rama. specifically, they want a breeding pair.

the humans decide to leave their eldest child and the old man astronaut behind. they literally marry a 14(?) year old to this 60-something catholic guy.

later on rama is approaching earth again. earth decides to keep rama a secret this time, and when they get the message that some space aliens want them to set up a colony on Rama, the Earth governments decide that they're going to tell everyone they're sending a re-colonization mission to mars (keep in mind that Gentry Lee spent a good chunk of Rama II basically retconning nearly everything about the setting except for the fact that there was a prior Rama spacecraft, to include all of Earth's colonies utterly failing and humanity completely retreating to Earth), keeping the real destination a secret from earth and the colonists until the colonists arrive.

oh yeah and also they decide it would be great to make like a third of the colonists hardened prison inmates. i'm not kidding in the slightest, literally a third of the population are convicts. one of which is some ridiculous racist stereotype of a japanese mobster who eventually manages to take over the human colony.

oh right the "child in a teenager's body" thing. so during interstellar flight everyone gets put in hibernation. the thing is that hibernation only partly retards physical aging (or maybe it doesn't do so for children? i don't remember.) so a kid goes to sleep at the age of nine, and wakes up later with their body grown as if it were fifteen, or something like that. but obviously the mind is still that of a nine year old because they haven't been learning or thinking in the interim. gentry lee literally writes a scene where the younger daughter of the human family is exploring her body after waking up, or something like that. later on as the colony descends into crimehell she becomes a drug-addicted prostitute.

anyway in the end the human colonists are such tremendous fuckups and assholes that they break their environment, and then start waging war on the other two colonies in the rama spacecraft, to the point where the alien overseers just put everyone to sleep and bring the spacecraft home and permanently house the humans in a space station where they can be supervised. the scientist lady grows old and at the end of the book one of the aliens basically shows her the secrets of the universe right before she dies or some such poo poo like that. the end, gently caress gentry lee.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ok but where does robot lincoln come in

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ok but where does robot lincoln come in

so when the human family was at the space station the first time, the aliens were all "hey guys please provide input on how we can make a good habitat. also we can give you guys specialized robotic helpers."

so the humans decided that the different robot helpers for the human colony would be in the form of various historical figures. the lincolns were... gently caress, i can't remember exactly what they were supposed to do. there were robot einsteins that would teach, and some other robot model that was nurses, and some other robot model that was mechanics, etc.

anyway the bad guys manage to reprogram some of the robots... for MURDER

oh yeah someone in that other thread summed up the ending better than i did:

Lamprey Cannon posted:

This isn't even including the fact that the finale, the climactic sendoff to the thousand pages of Gentry Lee's writing, the payoff to the mystery of the builders of the cylinders and their true purpose, is literally 'God did it'. No pussyfooting around the issue, just 'God did it. Here's a video recording of the Big Bang, and of this station (where the cylinders were built and are coordinated from) popping into existence a microsecond later. Hope you enjoyed!'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I already thought the books were bad but I didn't remember even half of that :staredog:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thank you space moose you are a treasure

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

In Good Sci Fi news I'm halfway through Aurora and KSR is a national treasure.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I reread RWR a couple months ago and it was as good as I remembered. The first chapter of Rama II was so packed with all the crap whose lack made Rendezvous great that I took it back to the library immediately. Bad Book Bad Writer.

The intro by Clarke was an interesting read though, notably the bits about how various space probes influenced his writing of 2001/2010 etc. Also the bit about how the delay of the Galileo probe (whose data ACC had been waiting on for the writing of 2061) left its Chief Engineer - Gentry Lee - with apparently nothing to do but write really terrible Rama fanfic.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Usagi-Sauce posted:

did anyone reading the algebraist not see the twist coming the first time that "i was born in a water moon" passage showed up though

it first shows up before the plot even gets going so i'm not sure you could have figured out the reveal at that point.

i did however guess where the wormhole network was the first time they went through it because... like... where else would it be? i can't tell if that was intentional by the author or not but when fassin finally works it out there is an element of WELL DUH DIPSHIT.

i did like the reveal that the AIs are still around and kicking. it makes it more of a "culture-that-could-have-been" instead of just a "not a culture" book.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
i also liked that the archimandrite turned out to be less of a big, dangerous bad guy and more of a local bully. it seemed fairly clear to me that even if the dwellers hadn't wrecked his poo poo the summed fleet would have smeared him across the system. he interpreted the mercatoria's lack of reclaiming his space as a measure of their weakness instead of his irrelevancy .

the algebraist: a good and fun book

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Dark horse suggestion: inversions

also this. inversions is a very good and unusual culture book.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

read Feersum Enjiin, but just the Bascule chapters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good KSR books besides Aurora and the Mars series. It seems like he has a lot of other books but they're mostly hippie poo poo, you know? I want to read about mankind conquering (or being pwned by) the stars, not a pre-neolithic teenager conquering his hormones or the world conquering the future resource shortage.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Old Man's War and Forever War.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hogge Wild posted:

Old Man's War and Forever War.

neither of those are by KSR, but I can attest that The Forever War is a pro loving choice if you haven't read it yet.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Larry Parrish posted:

What are some good KSR books besides Aurora and the Mars series. It seems like he has a lot of other books but they're mostly hippie poo poo, you know? I want to read about mankind conquering (or being pwned by) the stars, not a pre-neolithic teenager conquering his hormones or the world conquering the future resource shortage.
the years of rice and salt

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
read more william gibson and watch the fargo TV show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5S-q1gRxvw

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i actually really liked shaman, as much as it was just diary of a teenage caveman

i think the hardest thing to wrap my head around was the fact that there are still people living like that in the world right now

like we've got loving spaceships and lasers and grocery stores and poo poo, and there are literally people, right now as i'm typing this on a computer connected to a global communications network of billions of other computers, hitting a stone with another stone to make a spear head so they can go hunt wild game

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i'm not trying to make any sort of value judgement i just htink it's mindblowing how two members of the same species living on the same little podunk planet at the same point in history can have such vastly different experiences

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i'm not trying to make any sort of value judgement i just htink it's mindblowing how two members of the same species living on the same little podunk planet at the same point in history can have such vastly different experiences

chances are they're having a better time than you with your billions of connected devices

i say this having taken a big fat break from internets a few years back

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had to make an australian audible account to get look to windward :shepface:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Silver Alicorn posted:

I had to make an australian audible account to get look to windward :shepface:

you can also get excession on it, I think. peter kenny's a powerful drug.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

syscall girl posted:

chances are they're having a better time than you with your billions of connected devices

i say this having taken a big fat break from internets a few years back

i'm actually eating a burrito right now so i have attained the pinnacle of human experience

only thing left to do now is die and become a cool skeleton

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Tanith posted:

you can also get excession on it, I think. peter kenny's a powerful drug.

yeah but I'll have to pay money & it probably won't work because I couldn't put a billing address outside aus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i'm actually eating a burrito right now so i have attained the pinnacle of human experience

only thing left to do now is die and become a cool skeleton

same

• Locked thread