Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the cockatoos are more scared of me than they are of the cats now :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pip pip pip posted:

Nugget is 8 and only makes chirp/peep noises and I talk to her a lot. Nugget is super dumb but also female cockatiels are not known for their mimicry. Maybe Daisy is smarter :derptiel:

Yeah female tiels rarely make noises beyond the stock cockatiel noises, though Anaïs will wolf whistle when she's really really mad

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of which:

The only thing scarier than a cockie is... a drunk cockie

:derptiel: I'll gently caress youse up mate... I'll fucken gently caress youse up

Also I don't know if I have mentioned it here, but Toast has learnt how to put herself to bed at night. I turn the main light off at ~8pm so she can get some dark, and if she's still sitting on my shoulder at that point, she hops into her cage then and goes to sleep. She likes to sleep on top of a little cane/wicker/whatever "nest" thing, which she refuses to go into but sit on top of instead. It's next to her favourite toys (that aren't bits of chewable cardboard, paper, or wood), a plastic mirror attached to a cheap tiny bell by a plastic hook. When I lower the towel over her cage (around sunset) she'll hop between me and the cage for a few hours as she gets ready for bed, tweeting to her reflection and crunching her beak merrily.

In the morning, at around 7am, she'll wake up and hop downstairs to her loudest jangly bell. She will jangle it as loud as she can (pretty loud) while squeaking until I wake up. If I am taking too long to wake up and she needs to take a food break, she'll hop up to her nest, unhook the bell attached to the plastic mirror, and take it with her so she can jangle between mouthfuls of food and water :v:

Oh, and re reflections: her reflection in her plastic mirror near her nest is a friend, for tweeting and singing to. Her reflection in the bathroom mirror is not to be trusted and must be lunged at if it makes any sudden movements. Her reflection in my laptop screen is confusing - where did that other bird go? It's not BEHIND the laptop???? What is this wizardry??? And her reflection in my big-rear end metal wall fan is in league with her mortal enemy, THE BIRD SHADOW, and must be attacked viciously whenever she catches glimpse of it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 13, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco is pretty indifferent to his reflection. He sits on the towel rack next to the mirror in the bathroom and doesn't care, we hold him up to the mirror he might inspect it with his beak a bit, do a small head-wave thingy, and then just go "meh" and ignore it.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus, I'm so jealous of your bird that knows what bedtime is and follows a schedule. We chased Eris with a blanket for twenty minutes yesterday. At midnight. She just wouldn't get in her cage so she could sleep!

She's still not playing with her toys that I've seen. :( Maybe she's still getting used to being in a new place?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Babies often don't, then suddenly one day it clicks and they can't get enough of them. Just make sure she has a good variety, some birds don't like the grooming toys, some like rope, others wood and mine can't get enough of toilet paper.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
She's 11 months old, does that count as still a baby?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They develop at different rates so I wouldn't worry yet, my girl potato is over a year and months behind my male potato's development, she's only recently started taking an interest in toys and still screams like a baby.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The only thing scarier than a cockie is... a drunk cockie

:derptiel: I'll gently caress youse up mate... I'll fucken gently caress youse up
Dreggon needs to give Gaston a six pack and a wifebeater (do those have another name in Australia I don't know. Also don't actually give Gaston a six pack)

painted bird posted:

Jesus, I'm so jealous of your bird that knows what bedtime is and follows a schedule. We chased Eris with a blanket for twenty minutes yesterday. At midnight. She just wouldn't get in her cage so she could sleep!
HA FOR ONCE ONE OF MY ANIMALS IS GOOD AT SOMETHING.

You go, Judah. You go to bed, because you have definite ideas of when that is supposed to happen :v:

And when you are supposed to get up YES I KNOW IT'S TIME I'M COMING.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

We call them singlets. I've always personally found it rather odd and kinda disturbing that the slang name for such a piece of clothing would be a reference to domestic violence.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

Taco is pretty indifferent to his reflection. He sits on the towel rack next to the mirror in the bathroom and doesn't care, we hold him up to the mirror he might inspect it with his beak a bit, do a small head-wave thingy, and then just go "meh" and ignore it.

Must be a sun thing, ritz couldn't give any less shits about what's going on in the mirror. Unless it's a handheld mirror that my gf is using for makeup, those are the devil, apparently. :derptiel:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Bonny was really good at putting herself to bed, but now that the days are so much shorter, I have been keeping the lights on. Now when I turn off the lights, she just hunkers down at her current location and goes to sleep (or what I call, her vulture pose), I then have a very pissy macaw on wake up to move into her cage.

I have been lucky that she is very slow to wake up in the morning, so I have not had any problems with her screaming in the morning.

I have been very surprised that I have not had the cops called on me. Her last owner had an 10 year old girl, and so Bonny has a scream (and laugh) of a little girl. When Bonny gets to screaming, it sounds like I am killing a little girl, and you can hear it blocks away and that is with the windows closed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My birds scream, the kids upstairs scream. Fair trade.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

My birds scream, the kids upstairs scream. Fair trade.
The cat at least is quiet when I want to take a nap :mad: Judah, on the other hand... if I lay down in the living room, he starts shrieking like a siren. I can sit up on the couch, I can even fall asleep sitting up on the couch. But if I lay down on the couch, he is not goddamn having it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

painted bird posted:

She's 11 months old, does that count as still a baby?

Depends on breed but often yes. Babies for a year, children for a year, awful awful teenagers for a year, then adults for 60 years. If only humans had that ratio we'd be done with college at 5 years old.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So I'm very excited, I'm going to a positive reinforcement class tomorow taught by these people: http://www.companionparrots.org/

I've been looking at their adoption pages (I'm keeping at two birds, so hard) and :swoon: so many cuties!
I was really impressed because I emailed them asking if they had any tips working with re-homed birds, and they invited me to swing by before the class to speak with some of the people that work there. I'm probably going to donate some money to them, because places like this should totally exist and I think their requirement of having to take educational classes before being allowed to adopt is very smart.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

Depends on breed but often yes. Babies for a year, children for a year, awful awful teenagers for a year, then adults for 60 years. If only humans had that ratio we'd be done with college at 5 years old.

Eris is a GCC!

That makes sense. I guess I have another year or so of her being sweet and quiet before she turns into a monster.

Nov 3, 2015

Shirec posted:

So I'm very excited, I'm going to a positive reinforcement class tomorow taught by these people: http://www.companionparrots.org/

I've been looking at their adoption pages (I'm keeping at two birds, so hard) and :swoon: so many cuties!
I was really impressed because I emailed them asking if they had any tips working with re-homed birds, and they invited me to swing by before the class to speak with some of the people that work there. I'm probably going to donate some money to them, because places like this should totally exist and I think their requirement of having to take educational classes before being allowed to adopt is very smart.

That is great, taking in an abandoned bird is not easy, and not for everyone. Most people can't handle the extra work it takes to work past a birds history. So what two caught your eye?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Saw a baby budgie at a pet store today, wrestling with a jingly bell on the floor of its cage :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

That is great, taking in an abandoned bird is not easy, and not for everyone. Most people can't handle the extra work it takes to work past a birds history. So what two caught your eye?

Ah, I meant I'm trying not to go over my current two. My first, Sammy the GCC, I did buy from a local pet store. Kiwi is my second bird, an 8 year old Nanday I adopted from a friend of a friend that was keeping her 24 hours a day in her cage with no interaction and toys worn away to nothing. Apparently if I hadn't taken her, they were gonna let her loose in the wild.

I really want to take Captain Jack or Cricket home but I'm trying to resist. Just gonna see them and not fall in love, yup.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So I just gave daisy fresh food and water, not 10 seconds into it she picked up a pellet and walked it over to the water bowl, dropped it in and then cocked her head and watched it float around.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

As the political season continues its inexorable journey towards The Great American Presidential Race 2016 I think it's time to discuss our country's future.

The future is birb.

:patriot: http://probirdrights.com/ :patriot:

The Democratic vote is the right thing to do, Something Awful. So do.

Nov 3, 2015

Shirec posted:

Ah, I meant I'm trying not to go over my current two. My first, Sammy the GCC, I did buy from a local pet store. Kiwi is my second bird, an 8 year old Nanday I adopted from a friend of a friend that was keeping her 24 hours a day in her cage with no interaction and toys worn away to nothing. Apparently if I hadn't taken her, they were gonna let her loose in the wild.

I really want to take Captain Jack or Cricket home but I'm trying to resist. Just gonna see them and not fall in love, yup.

oh haha. Ya I said no more animals after I hit 8, then definitly no more when I hit 9. Now that I have 10, there is no way I am getting another

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have 11 and my mum thinks I have one dog and two cats.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We just have the birds (2 budgies, 1 GCC). I can't imagine having time for any more birds, except maybe a finch cage.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

As the political season continues its inexorable journey towards The Great American Presidential Race 2016 I think it's time to discuss our country's future.

The future is birb.

I need to get one of these bumper stickers to go with my license plate.

My license plate is a bald eagle vanity plate that just says "SQUAWK"

:v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kenshin posted:

I need to get one of these bumper stickers to go with my license plate.

My license plate is a bald eagle vanity plate that just says "SQUAWK"

:v:

I have a bald eagle plate too :3: Just a generic wildlife conservation plate number though.

Also re: pet chat: I only have Ama and I guess my boyfriend's cat counts too so 2 pets. I'd like another bird but I love my relationship with my bird the way it is, there's no need to bring in another pet that might reduce his time with me or make him jealous.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Double post and also, sorry for more bird merchandise, but my friends keep linking me awesome stuff tonight :kimchi:

This gal on redbubble has some amazing stuff.

e: also I'm pretty sure one of those is a reference to my last link

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 14, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That cockatiel one is literally what I imagine Archer's internal monologue being right before he does something stupid

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SaNChEzZ posted:

Must be a sun thing, ritz couldn't give any less shits about what's going on in the mirror. Unless it's a handheld mirror that my gf is using for makeup, those are the devil, apparently. :derptiel:

except this little guy, he loves the mirrors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaIQuksgZa8

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The future is birb.

That's a European robin! How scandalous!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, in other news: Toast's pellets (the Vetafarm ones recommended by the vet) are red, yellow, blue, and green (a very blueish green). Her favourite are the yellow ones, possibly because they look like the "natural" coloured ones (which she prefers, and which are mostly nutritionally identical to the coloured ones; the vet recommends the coloured ones because they produce a "superior quality stool" which I can attest to). So she eats all the yellow pellets she can get first. Then, when they're gone, she starts on the red pellets. Only after she has eaten all the red pellets does she start on the blue and green pellets.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

A girl and her birb:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh, in other news: Toast's pellets (the Vetafarm ones recommended by the vet) are red, yellow, blue, and green (a very blueish green). Her favourite are the yellow ones, possibly because they look like the "natural" coloured ones (which she prefers, and which are mostly nutritionally identical to the coloured ones; the vet recommends the coloured ones because they produce a "superior quality stool" which I can attest to). So she eats all the yellow pellets she can get first. Then, when they're gone, she starts on the red pellets. Only after she has eaten all the red pellets does she start on the blue and green pellets.

Bobby used to do this too except the red pellets. I think it takes a while for them to click that its all actually food and all tastes the same.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Suntan Boy posted:

A girl and her birb:

No really, my bird ate my homework

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

A girl and her birb:

this is sooo cute :3:

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

anotherblownsave posted:

No really, my bird ate my homework

somehow not surprised

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The future is birb.

THEY MADE BUMPERSTICKERS?!

Well I know what my SASS partner is getting this year.

And also me.

And also other people I know.

And also Judah's cage.

Suntan Boy posted:

A girl and her birb:

Aw man :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

A girl and her birb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU