Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress norfolk forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress the navy forever

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress norfolk forever

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
When we were waiting for orders and people asked "Where you want to go?" my only answer was "Not Virginia"

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

maffew buildings posted:

When we were waiting for orders and people asked "Where you want to go?" my only answer was "Not Virginia"

NEXT STOP GTMO

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

JUST PUT WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT LAST THE DETAILER NEVER GIVES YOU YOUR FIRST TWO PICKS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Welp. Got C school in August. Destination Hampton Roads.

:toot::911:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp. Got C school in August. Destination Hampton Roads.

:toot::911:

You're either going to Dam Neck, or you're going to NOB. Dam Neck is Really Good, and NOB sucks poo poo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

maffew buildings posted:

The caveat to that is if you're a reservist, NOSC Norfolk is arguably the best NOSC in the country. (It helps that its on Little Creek and not on the Naval Station.) If you're anywhere remotely close to Norfolk, try and get a unit out of there. They probably provide the best support you can get. (Both the DC NOSC and Raleigh are poo poo. Baltimore is ok.)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

The caveat to that is if you're a reservist, NOSC Norfolk is arguably the best NOSC in the country. (It helps that its on Little Creek and not on the Naval Station.) If you're anywhere remotely close to Norfolk, try and get a unit out of there. They probably provide the best support you can get. (Both the DC NOSC and Raleigh are poo poo. Baltimore is ok.)

That's a lie as all NOSCs are equally terrible and should be razed along with FTS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My NOSC just informed me I have to go to a mandatory group meeting tomorrow but my muster was last weekend. I'd call to clarify but I doubt anyone will give me a proper answer and I don't want to be UA or have to fix it later.

Go Reserves!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's a lie as all NOSCs are equally terrible and should be razed along with FTS.

Hyperbole or not, if you think all NOSCs are the same, you haven't dealt with very many of them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The only thing stupider than being in the Navy is being part time Navy

GTMO would've been amazingly insane as a public works assignment

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Let me tell you about how I pretend to be a real person 28 days a month and have a horrible underlying sense of doom to my day to day life

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

maffew buildings posted:

Let me tell you about how I pretend to be a real person 28 days a month and have a horrible underlying sense of doom to my day to day life

Yeah but it kind of makes sense if you're going to be a student or just want a CPI-adjusted retirement annuity.

That said, I'm struggling with what to do after my initial 3-year term. I suspect being a reservist is going to be detrimental to civilian career advancement. I mean, I understand they cannot discriminate, but how hard is it to say, "Well, we have two qualified candidates and I think this other person is a better fit for some weird reason which I'll bullshit the justification on later."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

It's not so bad. My main job is way more stressful and the insurance is amazingly better than my main jobs pathetic offering.
Plus I get a payed four month learn-cation in beautiful Virginia next year! All I gotta do is march around in circles and try not to poke out my eye while saluting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

maffew buildings posted:

See, this is why you guys need to get in on some max-flex drill units. I can go 3 months at a time without looking at my uniforms, then just make it up with a week's worth of project work. And my last two AT's were in Singapore and the PI where I was in civilian clothes the whole time. :smug:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I don't know what any of your reserve talk means and never will because I'm active duty because if things are going to be gay I want them Maximum Gay

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bitter-Bee.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

maffew buildings posted:

I don't know what any of your reserve talk means and never will because I'm active duty because if things are going to be gay I want them Maximum Gay

That's the kind of motivating proactive ownership we like to see around here, shippy. Glad you're showing such self-starting initiative, really setting an example. By the way Ive got a new tasker for you that you're going to really get to sink your teeth into

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I owe all credit for my outstanding motivation, attention to detail and proactive nature to my sea daddy Pandasmores

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I owe all credit for my outstanding motivation, attention to detail and proactive nature to my sea daddy Pandasmores Christoff

Fixed that for you o7

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Shipmate, thank you for your brave cervix o7

Anybody have experience with OCONUS per diem and being stationed on a base? My upcoming deployment we're on base, does this mean we're getting the OCONUS $3.50/day for incidentals for sure? I ask because I'm going somewhere Super Rad and Super Expensive and enlisted pay will afford dick out there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Anybody have experience with OCONUS per diem and being stationed on a base? My upcoming deployment we're on base, does this mean we're getting the OCONUS $3.50/day for incidentals for sure? I ask because I'm going somewhere Super Rad and Super Expensive and enlisted pay will afford dick out there

did you miss a decimal point there? It doesn't matter where you are, unless you're in Thailand $3.50 will buy you approximately dick. (in thailand it will buy you surprise dick)

E: also, you don't get loving per diem if the base is putting you in base accomodations, and even if you have to buy your meals individually from the mess hall/galley whatever, the meals cost a prescribed cost and your BAS will cover them plenty well, so no hope of extra money there, unless you don't eat.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 13, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

maffew buildings posted:

I was in the guard

My last year i basically suffered from drill depression. Come the monday before drill, i'd be in a massive funk all week dreading the weekend bullshit, which was only lifted on Sunday when i threw my uniform in the backseat and drove out of the armory parking lot

Drill depression is real.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So I was told I might have to have a later date for them to pick up our stuff for the PCS, due to scheduling too late. Because I guess a month is way too loving close to pick up date. And now they're saying they didn't get my information. FUCKITY gently caress gently caress gently caress.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

squarerandom posted:

So I was told I might have to have a later date for them to pick up our stuff for the PCS, due to scheduling too late. Because I guess a month is way too loving close to pick up date. And now they're saying they didn't get my information. FUCKITY gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Yeah, it kind of is. Especially if you're overseas (just as a point), contracting that poo poo out takes a loooooooong time. You basically want to get a move date solidified and in the system the minute you get your orders. (Not to say you didn't.) But it gets even worse when you're moving to/from overseas, dealing with a different branch of service or with a PCS office not on your home base.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, it kind of is. Especially if you're overseas (just as a point), contracting that poo poo out takes a loooooooong time. You basically want to get a move date solidified and in the system the minute you get your orders. (Not to say you didn't.) But it gets even worse when you're moving to/from overseas, dealing with a different branch of service or with a PCS office not on your home base.

Yeah if it was OCONUS i would understand. But my orders were cancelled and approved 8 times from 01OCT until 01NOV, so wasn't able to get a hard date. and I just found out on the 4th I would have to drive m family back to MD, they wouldn't pay for them. So it's a whole lotta fuckery going on at once, so it's not just one thing or the other. Just saying I don't know the process, which is why I asked earlier in the thread if I have to contact them once a day or whatever.

Anyways, pee pee doo doo, I have bad luck.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

AlternateNu posted:

Still waiting on my loving car! 2 Months and counting.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

I owe all credit for my outstanding motivation, attention to detail and proactive nature to my sea daddy Pandasmores

Your sea daddy who has never been to sea?

maffew buildings posted:

You will still get per diem while OCONUS. Most bases will have a hotel of some sort that is at the max lodging rate (of course). If they're out of space, they'll give you a CNA (certificate of non-availability) and you'll go get a hotel out in town, presumably under the lodging rate. If it's not, just keep your receipts and your CNA and you'll be reimbursed.

P.S. Where the gently caress are you that per diem is only 3.50 a day? Motherfucking Botswana? You mean MI&E $35/day? Plus lodging?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 14, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, it kind of is. Especially if you're overseas (just as a point), contracting that poo poo out takes a loooooooong time. You basically want to get a move date solidified and in the system the minute you get your orders. (Not to say you didn't.)

Speaking of, does anyone have experience with ditty moves? I found out today I might wind up having to move next week or the week after rather than two months from now. I'm not going all that far (5 hours drive away), so renting a U-Haul isn't a big deal.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Red Crown posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have experience with ditty moves? I found out today I might wind up having to move next week or the week after rather than two months from now. I'm not going all that far (5 hours drive away), so renting a U-Haul isn't a big deal.

Do you have a family? I DITY moved from North Carolina to California as a Marine and even though I made around $2,500 after expenses, I'd never do it again. Moving is a lot of work and packing your stuff well enough to where it doesn't break is time consuming and costs money for materials. In the end, it wasn't worth the little bit of money I made compared to the amount of effort I spent.

If it's more a matter of necessity than any attempt to make money, the process isn't hard. I am pretty sure the navy does the self counseling thing online for moves. Write in that you want to DITY move, rent a uhaul and have it weighed empty, fill it with your poo poo and weigh it again (keep the weigh slips for both) and move your stuff. Keep receipts for all your expenses. What you show it cost you to move yourself will be how much of your payment is tax exempt. Any money paid in excess of what you have receipts for spending will be taxed.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 14, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Do you have a family? I DITY moved from North Carolina to California as a Marine and even though I made around $2,500 after expenses, I'd never do it again. Moving is a lot of work and packing your stuff well enough to where it doesn't break is time consuming and costs money for materials. In the end, it wasn't worth the little bit of money I made compared to the amount of effort I spent.

If it's more a matter of necessity than any attempt to make money, the process isn't hard. I am pretty sure the navy does the self counseling thing online for moves. Write in that you want to DITY move, rent a uhaul and have it weighed empty, fill it with your poo poo and weigh it again (keep the weigh slips for both) and move your stuff. Keep receipts for all your expenses. What you show it cost you to move yourself will be how much of your payment is tax exempt. Any money paid in excess of what you have receipts for spending will be taxed.

It's more a matter of necessity, because this might wind up happening much faster than the normal PCS process can. Knowing that the process is pretty straightforward helps a lot, thanks.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Red Crown posted:

It's more a matter of necessity, because this might wind up happening much faster than the normal PCS process can. Knowing that the process is pretty straightforward helps a lot, thanks.

I know there is a way to get at least a partial payment up front if you don't have a credit card you can throw everything on. Your payment will be based off of how far you are moving and the weight of your household goods. I am not familiar with the Navy system for getting paid for poo poo though so I can't comment on what you need to do in order to get money before the move. If you can, it's easier just to throw everything on a credit card and settle the money on the back end. That way you aren't guessing how much your stuff weighs and then get paid too much money and wind up owing the Navy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Null Integer posted:

Still waiting on my loving car! 2 Months and counting.

Yeah, I didn't even bother with trying to bring my car with me. Maybe it is different if you have a family and a larger American car is necessary. But I just bought a car on the cheap off a guy who was leaving when I got to Sasebo, and I didn't even try to get one in Rostock since public transport was so good in the area. Over the two year period while in Germany, I drove a car maybe twice. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 14, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Concur. A partial DITY is another story. Load up your car with the heaviest/most important poo poo you own (I took my guns, computer, important documents, and a bunch of freeweights, etc. Made a couple of hundred bucks...I also enjoy road trips so I would've driven my own car either way. When I did my last move after getting out, I was able to cram 600 lbs into my Wrangler.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Godholio posted:

Concur. A partial DITY is another story. Load up your car with the heaviest/most important poo poo you own (I took my guns, computer, important documents, and a bunch of freeweights, etc. Made a couple of hundred bucks...I also enjoy road trips so I would've driven my own car either way. When I did my last move after getting out, I was able to cram 600 lbs into my Wrangler.

Essentially, if you're driving your car wherever you're headed and not going through the steps to do a partial DITY, you're just ignoring some potential money.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol well just got informed one of my first navy buddies to get married back in January just got a divorce.

Smart kid.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hey-ay Sailor,
Where's your prenup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He married another sailor he met during recruitment but married right after they both finished boot. In his peckers defense she was smoking hot.

• Locked thread