Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-77-78

That is an extremely worrying snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Update owns

(because hit ball is about to end, finally)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I guess the idea is bombard him with overwhelming amounts of balls?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Hey guys, guess what? Max is the loving main character!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Update owns

Dear god I hope so. I love Paranatural, I've been following it since like two months after it first came out, but this arc has completely stalled the entire comic and it started in April.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I want to know what Stephen's been doing.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Blackheart posted:

I want to know what Stephen's been doing.

Hunting down the lizardman conspiracy, I'd imagine.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Coach Oop shows up and sends Jeff to the principal's office for breaking Max's arm or something. The kids tell Spender one of the teachers is Hijacked. Cue in media res.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
SONO CHI NO SADAME

HIIIIIIIIIIIIITBAAAAAAAAALL

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Update owns

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Dear god I hope so. I love Paranatural, I've been following it since like two months after it first came out, but this arc has completely stalled the entire comic and it started in April.

Oh, you poor, poor fools. Jeff isn't out. The rest of the Burnhounds are in!

More players on the field! Hitball continues unabated!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Paranatural: It's Just Hitball Now, Forever And Ever

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
So, one thing.

Johnny caught the ball. Alright, Burnhounds are all in.

But... isn't Max now on Jeff's team? Assuming this isn't now completely over on account of an injured player, just like Jeff wanted?

Did the rules cover 'one person gets hit but another catches it before it hits the ground'?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

VictorGrunn posted:

Did the rules cover 'one person gets hit but another catches it before it hits the ground'?

The rules do cover that, the hit doesn't count.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Again, if you ever forget how hitball works, just watch the dodgeball game in Hunter x Hunter

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorGrunn posted:

So, one thing.

Johnny caught the ball. Alright, Burnhounds are all in.

But... isn't Max now on Jeff's team? Assuming this isn't now completely over on account of an injured player, just like Jeff wanted?

It's a standard dodgeball thing that if you hit someone but someone else catches it on the rebound before it hits the ground, the hit doesn't count and you're out. Got the Golden Switch Hitball just changes the part about you being out, instead having you stay in to face the shame of bringing the entire enemy team off the bench.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Except Max's arms are broken, so Jeff is going to be sent to the office, which was, you know, the whole point of this game in the first place. From Max's point of view the game is over because Jeff is out of balls, so his plan worked but Hijack still got what he really wanted. The big question now is whether or not Max will catch on and hide his injuries until the bell. The Burnhounds might gently caress things up by throwing balls at Hijeff, but Zack already said the arc is just about over.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hard to say how badly Max is injured with that cracking, since he's present in the one-panel shot of running feet on the first page of the chapter so presumably if he'd broken an arm he'd be out of action.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's also possible that even if he is injured he is going to try to tough it out and pretend he is okay.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I just read the chapter from the beginning, and hitball flows really nicely that way, with the exceptions of the boring stuff (i.e. when everyone's monologueing/providing explanations/detailing their masterplans). I had forgotten small important things that happened along the way, like the fact that Suzy is still documenting, and supplying Max with a wire.

When you read it in one long go, you can't tell that it took the greater part of 2015 to churn out. Webcomics are like TV episodes, in that they're nice to watch as they air so you can...air your grievances and flip out over the good poo poo, but they're even better when you're drunk and binge-watching them on Netflix. I like hitball again, but I can't wait for Hijack to gently caress off to the teacher's lounge.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I just read the chapter from the beginning, and hitball flows really nicely that way, with the exceptions of the boring stuff (i.e. when everyone's monologueing/providing explanations/detailing their masterplans). I had forgotten small important things that happened along the way, like the fact that Suzy is still documenting, and supplying Max with a wire.

When you read it in one long go, you can't tell that it took the greater part of 2015 to churn out. Webcomics are like TV episodes, in that they're nice to watch as they air so you can...air your grievances and flip out over the good poo poo, but they're even better when you're drunk and binge-watching them on Netflix. I like hitball again, but I can't wait for Hijack to gently caress off to the teacher's lounge.

Agreed. We also got awesome stuff like seeing Dimitri in action, learning that Coty is some kind of killing machine, and experiencing the heartbreaking near-offscreen drama of the hitball twins.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hope Max pretends to be fine and just has to wander through school flailing his dead arms.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whoa he threw the ball really hard, and then it got caught

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I knew if the ball hit -you- and you caught it before it hit the ground, you were safe. It was the whole 'ricochets off you' thing that had me wondering.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Like the rest of this arc, they're using pretty much the Hunter x Hunter volleyball arc rules - until the ball touches the ground it is live, catching a live ball gets the thrower out.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This Jeffavorite Flavors kid seems like a real straight shooter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

Hard to say how badly Max is injured with that cracking, since he's present in the one-panel shot of running feet on the first page of the chapter so presumably if he'd broken an arm he'd be out of action.

Well they could always use those healing ghosts that float around. I mean, fricking Johnny took Max's scooter right on the face and that ghost healed up pretty drat well. I think Isabelle gave Max one after that racist ghost encounter, so I wouldn't be surprised if she could find another one quickly.

Still props to Max actually acting like the Main Character! :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Shindragon posted:

Well they could always use those healing ghosts that float around. I mean, fricking Johnny took Max's scooter right on the face and that ghost healed up pretty drat well. I think Isabelle gave Max one after that racist ghost encounter, so I wouldn't be surprised if she could find another one quickly.

Still props to Max actually acting like the Main Character! :v:

Those ghosts only suck out the pain though. Isabelle pointed that out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That SNAP didn't seem normal like bones or something breaking

It's disturbing

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

That was Max's spectral energy snapping. The golden switch itself is a Tool.
Naturally.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the snap was the sound of a hollow rubber ball breaking a child's arms

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The snap was the sound of a wicked diss.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So...Hijack won?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

So...Hijack won?

The ball was caught before it touched the ground, so no.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Max's arms might be hosed though, so maybe (given that Hijack's goal is to get in the teacher's lounge, not win at hitball)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a little hard to gauge, since I'm not sure how graphic Zach would make it look if Max's arms were seriously injured.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Keeshhound posted:

It's a little hard to gauge, since I'm not sure how graphic Zach would make it look if Max's arms were seriously injured.

Jagged bones jutting out of the skin, blood everywhere, screaming and crying

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comic going all Fist of the North Star would actually be pretty awesome.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-79

Hijack jeff is so pummeled.

edit: Yeah Max is hurt pretty bad.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Comic going all Fist of the North Star would actually be pretty awesome.

This applies to all comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Pretty sure this is what is about to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGQRai6PrA