Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I dunno, play an MMO? It's an MMO world. There's mobs everywhere and they aggro when you get close. Sometimes you're in a mech, which is like not being in a mech but bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dastardly posted:

I guess it makes sense that people that only care for the open world part or mechs don't care what NoA does to the game.

I'm sorry your meaningless breast slider got removed, I hope you and others find the stength to move on from this travesty.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I personally love ridiculous philosophical references in games, and if they really did significantly remove any of them or something like that then I'm gonna be kind of disappointed in that change.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skells is a cooler name than Dolls idgaf who you are

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sometimes when you're in a mech it changes to first person for no reason, that's dumb

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

I'm sorry your meaningless breast slider got removed, I hope you and others find the stength to move on from this travesty.

Please don't denigrate variable sized anime titty.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Baal posted:

Yo these males voices for the CAC are pretty good, especially Silverstein and Diskin. Howden's always good too, but I already listened to his voice for a whole game and he won't be yelling attacks from the rear position in this I'm sure.

where can i hear these?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heads up you loving turbo nerds, pre-loading is available right now on the eshop.

[edit]
I did it, I did the thing, I pre-ordered Xenoblade X just now. Preloading right now.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

where can i hear these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEz0Fa53B4s

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Classic or gtfo

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It breaks my heart that they have Joseph Joestar but without the cheesy accent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry theY have Speedwagon's too and Caesar's and uhhhhh Stroheim's

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dastardly posted:

Good or not it has still always been a part of the Xeno games and if you think they might as well just remove it completely then I have to wonder why you even care about the game in the first place. Unless you think the jrpg battle system is incredible.

I played xenogears, all 3 xenosaga game, and played just about every game with Kos Mos involved.

The geno poo poo doesn't matter and the series should be removed from that crutch and move on. Maybe like 3 people seriously care it's removed.

"I don't understand why people would want to play a super big open-world game with transforming mechs, they took out THE LORE (that was nothingness)"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tae posted:

I played xenogears, all 3 xenosaga game, and played just about every game with Kos Mos involved.

The geno poo poo doesn't matter and the series should be removed from that crutch and move on. Maybe like 3 people seriously care it's removed.

"I don't understand why people would want to play a super big open-world game with transforming mechs, they took out THE LORE (that was nothingness)"

In Xenoblade you fought a giant golden robot called Yaldabaoth with a laser sword that embodied the very power of creation and then killed God with a new laser sword formed from your own existential determination. That kinda stuff is pretty cool and it's a shame to see it go

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The LORE was very important because it allows nerds to flex their wikipedia reading skills so they can pretend they actually give a poo poo about any of the references.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Personally I hope the localisation team just keep removing things from the game until giant robots and fields are the only things left

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

katkillad2 posted:

Classic or gtfo

:yeah:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

In Xenoblade you fought a giant golden robot called Yaldabaoth with a laser sword that embodied the very power of creation and then killed God with a new laser sword formed from your own existential determination. That kinda stuff is pretty cool and it's a shame to see it go

You're right that is cool, but not because the robot was called Yaldaboth and not because of names. You could name the Monado the Sword of Anime and Yaldaboth the Big Gold Motherfucker and it wouldn't matter because that would still be cool.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Thank you for spoiling Xenoblade for me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

You're right that is cool, but not because the robot was called Yaldaboth and not because of names. You could name the Monado the Sword of Anime and Yaldaboth the Big Gold Motherfucker and it wouldn't matter because that would still be cool.

Yaldabaoth as a name is a lot more intimidating than "The Big Gold Motherfucker" even if you don't know what it means (I didn't)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

I always thought the gnostic references and imagey gave it a nice bit of pomp, like the true enemy isn't just refered to as God but YHWH for that biblical mysticism tone. It's not terribly profound but it helps build atmosphere and does add a bit to the story, like how Egil built his Big Gold Motherfucker as a surrogate deity to be worshiped and literally named it after the gnostic false-god. It's pretty cheesey, but fun

TurnipFritter posted:

The LORE was very important because it allows nerds to flex their wikipedia reading skills so they can pretend they actually give a poo poo about any of the references.

Are you alright, do you need to talk?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk maybe it's just me but I stopped finding names like that intimidating mostly I know they just hide some meaning or reference to poo poo and then it just becomes like "Oh." I think the last time a name like that was actually intimidating to me was the Batomis in Valkyria Chronicles because that tank is loving huge and Batomis is a pretty good feeling name for it.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I always thought the gnostic references and imagey gave it a nice bit of pomp, like the true enemy isn't just refered to as God but YHWH for that biblical mysticism tone. It's not terribly profound but it helps build atmosphere and does add a bit to the story, like how Egil built his Big Gold Motherfucker as a surrogate deity to be worshiped and literally named it after the gnostic false-god. It's pretty cheesey, but fun

Are you alright, do you need to talk?

It can definitely add stuff to a character, but sometimes it gets a bit hamfisted. Like I just genuinely don't like Dolls as a name for the Robots in XBX, I know there's a point, but it's such a boring name. It comes and goes and the Gnosticism stuff definitely does more for Xenoblade than nothing at all.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 14, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yaldabaoth as a name is a lot more intimidating than "The Big Gold Motherfucker" even if you don't know what it means (I didn't)

Wrong

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think if a game has really rich body customization where basically every metric of proportions can be tweaked, then it's normal for boob to be among those sliders. But if you can only spare the resources to create two axes of body customization, Height+Boob is an awkward choice. Height+Weight for both genders would have made a lot more sense.

The "now busty women can't represent themselves!!" line is funny, because all that means is those players are joining the club with thin people, fat people, and people who don't have faces like porcelain baby dolls.

EDIT: They should have included Xander Mobus as a voice option. Reverb included.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 14, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wasn't Yaldabaoth a name they added for the translation anyway? I remember hearing something about how basically every Face's name got changed since the first one had the rather unfortunate name of Black Face in Japanese and if they're gonna change one I guess they guess they were gonna change them all.

Also apparently Sharla's original name was Carna or something and I have no idea why they changed that either.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i support all of the busty women who demand representation in xenoblade chronicles x

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And the busty men

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

What about the well-endowed men? Is there a dong slider? How are they represented in XCX?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

What about the well-endowed men? Is there a dong slider? How are they represented in XCX?

There's only Ken Dolls.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think if a game has really rich body customization where basically every metric of proportions can be tweaked, then it's normal for boob to be among those sliders. But if you can only spare the resources to create two axes of body customization, Height+Boob is an awkward choice. Height+Weight for both genders would have made a lot more sense.

The "now busty women can't represent themselves!!" line is funny, because all that means is those players are joining the club with thin people, fat people, and people who don't have faces like porcelain baby dolls.

EDIT: They should have included Xander Mobus as a voice option. Reverb included.

I think it's kind of weird all around. Personally, I rarely make a custom character who looks anything like me. I'll make a character I think looks cool, or maybe who looks like a famous person, or a character from a story I like. Do most people make their custom character look as much like themselves as possible? :confused: I find that a little bit weird, but maybe I'm the weird one.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The sensible theory I saw about the boob slider is that it's to prevent the player from making underage-looking characters and dressing them in the uncensored costumes. Nintendo is probably okay with being known as "the company that funded Bayonetta 2" but doesn't want to be known as "those Japanese pedophiles".

mabels big day posted:

Thank you for spoiling Xenoblade for me.

I'm pretty sure he's also spoiled 'gears, 'saga, Soma Bringer, and possibly XCX. Every Takahashi game so far has involved an outer space showdown with a sci-fi demiurge stand-in. The fun is in how things escalate to that point.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I think it's kind of weird all around. Personally, I rarely make a custom character who looks anything like me. I'll make a character I think looks cool, or maybe who looks like a famous person, or a character from a story I like. Do most people make their custom character look as much like themselves as possible? :confused: I find that a little bit weird, but maybe I'm the weird one.

Lots of people like to make themselves in games-- on Twitter I regularly see people post their Fallout 4 characters designed to look like themselves, and fun times are being had! But it's something that works best with a really rich editor for both faces and bodies. I think it's less applicable here, because the face options are hyper-stylized, and the body options are nearly non-existent with or without the boob slider.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i will make the character look like myself because that is the closest i will ever come to becoming an anime.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Inflammatory posted:

i will make the character look like myself because that is the closest i will ever come to becoming an anime.

They don't have a fat slider and even if they did it doesn't go that high

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

At this point, I've honestly stayed as far away from anything related to the censorship debacle because it's honestly just really sad to read. I don't get why this is so upsetting to most folk and I think a lot of this talk detracts from what's looking to be a pretty sweet game and one of the last hurrahs for the Wii U.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

They don't have a fat slider and even if they did it doesn't go that high

why are you even still posting here?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Inflammatory posted:

why are you even still posting here?

Because kewpuh's a b*tch and will never ban me.

40-hour spoiler-free preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AssqD-hFhM

All fleshed out previews speak highly of the game so far.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Silver Falcon posted:

I tend to make characters as idealized versions of myself, but I'm also (just coming out as) trans, so a lot of that is probably related to the fact that I don't look like how I see myself in real life. It fulfills a need to "be myself" in a way that's hard/time consuming/medically and socially complicated in the real world.

I have a few exceptions, usually when I like one of the storylines a certain preset has, or the voice of a certain gender annoys me, or something else. For instance, I tend to play Default Male Shepard in Mass Effect because I like Tali and I don't like Jennifer Hale's line delivery in that game (yes, I know my opinion is the minority on that one), and ME1's character creator gave me some terrifying results so I just stuck with preset. (I'll also stick with a preset if I'm lazy or the character creator is too complicated)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 14, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as the voice options in this game go, the female "Mature" voice is obviously top tier. It's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

That's an interesting question. I never go out of my way to make the MC look like me. I just look through all the different options first and pick what looks good from there.

• Locked thread