Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

OK, now that's pretty cool. Not that they used the N9, but that they even got hat much working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Unfortunately, neuro-connectivity has stopped.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I apologize if this is a repeated question. I tried using forums search and I ended up in a Demon Souls thread.

Nexus 9 vs Shield Tablet. Any preference? I already own a Shield Portable which I love for streaming games from my PC however it sucks as a tablet. Whatever I buy is going to come from Swappa.

Edit: Apparently I asked something similar back in February :v:

SlayVus posted:

Plays any Android game without problem. Using the awful app in portrait works really well. Videos look really good when set to fill vertically. It cuts off a really small bit on the sides for 720/1080 making the Bezel the only black bars. I wouldn't suggest vertically fitting movies though.

Portrait leaves something to desire when trying to use it one handed. The Bezel is REALLY thin on the sides. This, again, nice for videos.

The speakers are nice and loud. Using something like MX player you can increase the volume by 100%. There seems to be a weird problem with lollipop on the shield where loading something big can cause weird, loud audio squeaks.

Getting back to 4.4 was really easy. Nvidia had a stock ROM installer you run from your PC that will make the tablet entirely stock from recovery to OS. Also, unlocking your boot loader does NOT void your warranty.

If you have any specific questions just ask. There are a lot of nice things about this tablet.

Mini-HDMI output, microSDXC support for up to like 128GB w/ write/reads in the 50/70+ MBps, lot of different case types available.

I tried XMultiWindow, but I have no clue how to use it. I got it to work once, however just from that one off chance thing it didn't seem really good. Side by side in landscape the windows were really too small to be usable.

beerinator posted:

Shield tablet is pretty popular in this thread. I almost bought one, and probably would if I broke my current tablet or needed a second one because I grew a third arm or something.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 28, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Sad thing is, 8 months later, nothing has changed.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

I apologize if this is a repeated question. I tried using forums search and I ended up in a Demon Souls thread.

Nexus 9 vs Shield Tablet. Any preference? I already own a Shield Portable which I love for streaming games from my PC however it sucks as a tablet. Whatever I buy is going to come from Swappa.

Edit: Apparently I asked something similar back in February :v:

They seemed to have fixed to the audio popping in the tablet. I find that after a few days I need to restart the tablet to restore performance. I think I'm going to install a custom rom at some point.

It is still a good tablet. The nexus 9 is just plain bad as a tablet. As it uses a 64-bit system, but no one is coding for it.

okiedokie
Feb 23, 2004

a whale of a heart
Surprised at the lack of discussion on the Tab S2 itt. I'm considering getting one for PDF reading, working on-the-go, and web browsing but it seems most of the android tablet discussion is focused on other options.

Anyone have the Tab S2 and would recommend it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you want a 4:3 tablet then the iPad is a better (and often cheaper) option

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
SHIELD tablet is still pretty great if you can still get your hands on one with the recall happening. I haven't used a Nexus 9 so I couldn't possibly comment on it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I hate apple but love my iPhone. Also have a gaming laptop, ps4, and vita. In case it's relevant In any way.

That said I used a tf700 for a while. I got good use out of it but it could have been so much better. Lacked a lot of minor things.

I'm looking for the snappiest and simplest tablet to use. Hate bothering with root and poo poo. Maybe one of those laptop/tablet combos? Ideally I'd want to have the tablet on me at school so I can easily pull up pdf/word documents to study, powerpoints, that sort of thing. I liked having both USB and micro sd on the tablet to throw movies on the go etc. I feel like a detachable keyboard/battery is a requirement. Something like a MacBook Air?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 depending on your more specific needs/budget.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My budget is open as far as quality. I just feel a tablet really has to be fast to be more useful over my iPhone.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So I hate apple but love my iPhone. Also have a gaming laptop, ps4, and vita. In case it's relevant In any way.

That said I used a tf700 for a while. I got good use out of it but it could have been so much better. Lacked a lot of minor things.

I'm looking for the snappiest and simplest tablet to use. Hate bothering with root and poo poo. Maybe one of those laptop/tablet combos? Ideally I'd want to have the tablet on me at school so I can easily pull up pdf/word documents to study, powerpoints, that sort of thing. I liked having both USB and micro sd on the tablet to throw movies on the go etc. I feel like a detachable keyboard/battery is a requirement. Something like a MacBook Air?

Why would a Macbook Air be in the running if you feel like a detachable keyboard/battery is a requirement? Also no touchscreen. The Air is a nice Ultrabook but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for, at all.

I have a Surface 3, and an SP3. They are both really nice. The Surface 3 is probably more what you are after.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

My budget is open as far as quality. I just feel a tablet really has to be fast to be more useful over my iPhone.

This is good advice:

DemonMage posted:

Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 depending on your more specific needs/budget.

If those turn you off for some reason, ask again. There's not really much in the way of great Android tablets...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ixian posted:

Why would a Macbook Air be in the running if you feel like a detachable keyboard/battery is a requirement? Also no touchscreen. The Air is a nice Ultrabook but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for, at all.

I have a Surface 3, and an SP3. They are both really nice. The Surface 3 is probably more what you are after.

I'd also say if you're looking at a 13" MBA the 13" rMBP is really a better deal in most ways that matter (screen and ForceTouch trackpad).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry I just meant macbookair in terms of weight, thinness, ease of use, battery, etc.

I'll check out the suggestions thus far, thanks!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorry I just meant macbookair in terms of weight, thinness, ease of use, battery, etc.

I'll check out the suggestions thus far, thanks!

Oh. In that case, the SP4 (price-wise) is probably your best bet, overall. I love my SP3 and have been hauling it all over the world for close to a year and a half now. The Surface 3 is also nice - it's even more portable, closer to a "tablet" - but not as fast.

You might want to take a look at the Surface Book too as others have suggested. They are hard to find right now, and expensive, but kind of bridge things. If the SP4 is Microsoft's answer to the Air (which is not totally fair, but run with it) then the Book is their answer to the Macbook Pro.

I've been checking out the Book but am sticking with my SP3 for now, which still holds up very well. The former are kind of expensive even though you get a better "laptop" experience.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I won't be doing graphic arts just need something snappy. But yeah willing to pay. I don't want to make my already expensive gaming laptop obsolete. But it's more of a desktop in that it's hooked up to external everything and a huge brick.

Awesome advice! Thanks all! Surface book does look quite nice

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
FYI: Best Buy is selling the $50 Fire tablet for $34.99 on Black Friday

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds about $35 overpriced.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds about $35 overpriced.

You could get a good 50 cents for it at an electronic scrapper, so it's only $34.49 overpriced.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

You could get a good 50 cents for it at an electronic scrapper, so it's only $34.49 overpriced.
I'd have to buy a lot of them to make up for the gas to get me there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm going to buy my moms an Fire HD 8 ($149) for Christmassakuh just to spite you guys. She'll just run Kindle and browse/email at most it should be able to handle that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The HD8 is nowhere near as terrible as the $50 one. For instance, it doesn't use a bunch of overstock netbook screens from 2006.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is the $50 Fire tablet really that bad? I haven't read any reviews since I'm not in the market, but I figured it would just be underpowered and lacking features, but decent for non-tech people like grandma or a 7 year old.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the $50 Fire tablet really that bad? I haven't read any reviews since I'm not in the market, but I figured it would just be underpowered and lacking features, but decent for non-tech people like grandma or a 7 year old.

I also haven't researched it either but I assumed it was the new go-to for old people and kids. Is lack of being able to take it an Apple Store and not bother your kids a huge downside vs an iPad?

The last time I bought something as a gift for an older person was an old eReader Nook, and the reason a Nook was picked was because she could take it to B&N for help and I wouldn't have to do anything.

I haven't bought anything like that for a kid but I expect they don't really care as long as it's set up to do the things they expect. And if they don't have any expectations, then it's all good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I dunno what these guys are talking about. The couple reviews I've read have said it's perfectly serviceable as a really basic tablet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I got my Mom one. Its fine. I wouldn't get one because I've got no interest in getting into Amazon's ecosystem, but for her its fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Athenry posted:

I got my Mom one. Its fine. I wouldn't get one because I've got no interest in getting into Amazon's ecosystem, but for her its fine.

You can sideload the Google Play store on it. Takes a little bit of tinkering, but it's doable - http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122/post63101324#post63101324

[edit] Looks like that thread got updated with an auto executing .bat thing to make the process easier.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

teagone posted:

You can sideload the Google Play store on it. Takes a little bit of tinkering, but it's doable - http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122/post63101324#post63101324

[edit] Looks like that thread got updated with an auto executing .bat thing to make the process easier.

Thank you, I've been looking for exactly this.

I own the $50 Fire,; I wanted an upgrade from the 2011 Nexus 7 that's pretty much unusable.

The screen can be disappointing for text (forums), but works fine for my purposes. I'm getting the hang of navigating through tabs and reading sites by rotating it between landscape and portrait.

If it would cast, I'd call it a best buy for chromecast mate tablet.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I got my daughter the Fire HD 10. Other than the pixel density being too low (for me, she doesn't give a poo poo), it's a very nice tablet and works great. FreeTime works perfectly.

e: What I'm saying is that my only complaint is the screen density which would not be an issue with the 7" display so I'm guessing it's a really good deal for 50 bux

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Syrinxx posted:

I got my daughter the Fire HD 10. Other than the pixel density being too low (for me, she doesn't give a poo poo), it's a very nice tablet and works great. FreeTime works perfectly.

e: What I'm saying is that my only complaint is the screen density which would not be an issue with the 7" display so I'm guessing it's a really good deal for 50 bux

Surely there are larger differences than just screen size between a $50 tablet and a $230 tablet?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Surely there are larger differences than just screen size between a $50 tablet and a $230 tablet?
Yep but they aren't as pronounced as you might think. 1.3GHz CPU clock vs 1.5GHz, 8GB vs 16GB internal storage. The 7" does have better display density of 171ppi vs 149.

Also the $50 fire only has a mono speaker.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 14, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
FYI, I was chatting with a Dell representative trying to get a 50% off deal on a Venue 8 7840 today (they were out) and they offered me a Venue 10 7040 for "50% off $459" (so about $230 + taxes/shipping). I was pretty turned off by the Anandtech review, but I thought I'd mention it here since that's a pretty great deal for a 10" tablet with a 2560x1600 AMOLED display.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FYI, I was chatting with a Dell representative trying to get a 50% off deal on a Venue 8 7840 today (they were out) and they offered me a Venue 10 7040 for "50% off $459" (so about $230 + taxes/shipping). I was pretty turned off by the Anandtech review, but I thought I'd mention it here since that's a pretty great deal for a 10" tablet with a 2560x1600 AMOLED display.

How do I get this deal, I am dumb and have too much money

E: I dropped my Tab S 8.4 one time too many and the glass on the screen shattered. The display still works, but it's not covered by the warranty and I'm not sure there are any good 16:9/16:10 tablets left worth getting

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 14, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How do I get this deal, I am dumb and have too much money

E: I dropped my Tab S 8.4 one time too many and the glass on the screen shattered. The display still works, but it's not covered by the warranty and I'm not sure there are any good 16:9/16:10 tablets left worth getting

Go open a chat at the Dell site and ask about it. Not sure why they have promos you have to chat to get, but apparently that's a thing.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
My cell plan is up soon and I'm sick of expensive phone plans since I rarely call anyone with my actual phone. My cell is a Google Nexus 5 and my tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0.

I've read a few things about going data-only using things like number importing and various voice/SMS apps, but I've also seen a lot of things that say you can't put a tablet SIM into a cell to pull this off. It doesn't matter to me if it's complicated to set up, and I'd even carry around my tablet and a headset for the phone portion if I had to, but is it even viable at this point or are we still a ways away from this working? I'd want to be able to send/receive calls and text but have it be all data, but be able to have cells/landlines call me and vice versa. Another thing of note is that I'm in Canada, but I'm close to the border and have a US bank account, so I could feasibly get a US phone with Canadian roaming data if that gives me more options. I'd still mainly be using wi-fi anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks like Amazon will be selling the entry-level 7" Kindle Fire for $35 Thanksgiving Day into Black Friday.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
What's all this Nexus 9 hatred? I'm in the market for my first tablet and I was looking at that one too. I just want a nice tablet to internet browse with and use (Play Store) apps. 9+ inch in diameter. My wife has a Nexus smartphone which is really good, isn't the tablet ok? What about the Samsung tablets? Budget is ~300-400 euro's.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sioux posted:

What's all this Nexus 9 hatred? I'm in the market for my first tablet and I was looking at that one too. I just want a nice tablet to internet browse with and use (Play Store) apps. 9+ inch in diameter. My wife has a Nexus smartphone which is really good, isn't the tablet ok? What about the Samsung tablets? Budget is ~300-400 euro's.
The Nexus 9 is the one and only device with the nVidia Project Denver processor, which was a bit of an experiment and has issues with hitching / stuttering, especially when switching between apps / tasks. If you are sensitive to that kind of thing, it will drive you crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sioux posted:

Well the 9 won't fit your needs because it's not circular.