Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh and a bit about a general progression of Bitcoin rig tech and how OHSA it got.

In the beginning it all was about the GPU, so people kept AMD afloat by buying out tons of Radeon cards running in SLI rigs that hashed out the maths faster. But these get warm.
So this meant you had machines like so:

And then GPUs became old hat when ASICs came in - basically chips dedicated to mining and not having to rely using a whole system to run a graphics card. As these chips were able to be powered by USB you got this.

There were quite a few stories of cheap USB arrays melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is that a piss jar

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wedemeyer posted:

Is that a piss jar

It's oil. Oil is an insulator and absorbs heat really well. (It's also flammable so you need to be careful.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 14, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*Moving* oil makes a great coolant. That guy's going to end up with a broken bitcoin miner sitting in really hot stagnant oil.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

haveblue posted:

*Moving* oil makes a great coolant. That guy's going to end up with a broken bitcoin miner sitting in really hot stagnant oil.

Absolutely correct. If you're clever you can use the natural convection effect for cooling so you don't need to pump oil, a lot of power transformers do that. (There are different types, ONAN, oil natural air natural, ONAF, oil natural air forced using fans, or OFAF oil forced air forced, with a pump for the oil and radiator fans.)

The scariest thing I ever saw was some moron dropping a hairdryer into an aquarium filled with oil to demonstrate the heat absorption. The hairdryer was just fine until he pulled it up out of the oil while it was still running and almost set the drat thing on fire!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 14, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Woolong device was an Atlas thing and not Bruce. There was another sad case...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

Absolutely correct. If you're clever you can use the natural convection effect for cooling so you don't need to pump oil, a lot of power transformers do that. (There are different types, ONAN, oil natural air natural, ONAF, oil natural air forced using fans, or OFAF oil forced air forced, with a pump for the oil and radiator fans.)

The scariest thing I ever saw was some moron dropping a hairdryer into an aquarium filled with oil to demonstrate the heat absorption. The hairdryer was just fine until he pulled it up out of the oil while it was still running and almost set the drat thing on fire!

Hmm, sounds like we're halfway to making a badass flamethower

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WebDog posted:

Three-Olives dug around and discovered that Bruce was on the run from a series of mortgage frauds committed during the height of the housing crisis and the FBI were interested in where he was.

This is the kind of thing that is the opposite of funny to do

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

This is the kind of thing that is the opposite of funny to do

you would think you could be right but that's because you didn't know coiners started accusing three olives of being a homophobe for this

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A airline pilot got fired for ordering a evacuation after his plane started smoking.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/allegiant-pilot-files-lawsuit-over-being-fired-emergency-landing

quote:

Just after the flight had become airborne, Kinzer said that he received "frantic calls" from flight attendants that passengers were smelling smoke in the rear of the aircraft. Kinzer made the decision to declare an emergency and return to the airport.

After a routine landing, the jet stopped at the end of a runway and emergency response crews took a look at the plane and its engines.

An emergency responder confirmed that smoke was coming from the plane's right engine. After consulting with his first officer, Kinzer made the decision to evacuate the plane.

After a conversation between the air-traffic-control tower at the airport, the emergency responders and the flight deck, an unidentified voice entered the discussion, according to a recording of radio transmissions. The man didn't identify himself in his transmissions and urged the pilot to "hold off on that evacuation, please."

After two inquiries from the flight deck on who was requesting the delay and why went unanswered, the evacuation was ordered.

Kinzer and the other crew members were interviewed at Allegiant's Las Vegas headquarters and the pilot said he believed he made the right decision to evacuate the plane.

But after several weeks of silence, Kinzer said he received a call from the human resources department of the airline telling him that he was fired and that he would receive a termination notice by mail.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Phanatic posted:

That's great.

Work's been on a real safety binge lately. Okay, makes sense, reducing workplace accidents and employee downtime directly impacts the bottom line, continuous process improvement rah rah all that TQM stuff.

To announce one of the various safety initiatives, they called an all-hands, and gave everyone a little roadside emergency kit containing reflectors, a set of jumper cables, etc.

A few weeks later, company-wide email: "You know those jumper cables? Yeah, don't use those, they're cheap Chinese junk and are way too thin and will overheat and melt if you actually try to use them to jump-start a car. Get rid of them, and in compensation for trying to burn your car up here's a $20 gift card."

Wait a year. Another safety initiative, another big meeting, another freebie: This time a USB charger that can plug into either the 12VDC power point in your car, to into a 120VAC wall socket.

If you plug it into the wall socket, guess what you see if you put a voltmeter across the metal connections on the cigarette lighter adapter part of it?

Another email: "Don't use those things, here's another gift card."

Stop. Buying. Chinese. Crap.

Lol we work for the same company. Probably even the same business unit? I still have my jumper cables. They are hilarious.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

Real men use fluorinert

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Azhais posted:

Real men use fluorinert

I think that isn't cheap and depletes the ozone layer. I don't know if they use that on any of the newer Cray systems or not, but that was used on older ones. :ssh:

For some larger generators they just use hydrogen gas.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Pages back, but did they run UNDER the crane?! What if its line snapped or one of a million connections failed?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Three-Phase posted:

I think that isn't cheap and depletes the ozone layer. I don't know if they use that on any of the newer Cray systems or not, but that was used on older ones. :ssh:

Nah, the current systems are all air cooled

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I remember you could get dried strawberries using a buttcoin miner-powered dehydrator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DemeaninDemon posted:

I remember you could get dried strawberries using a buttcoin miner-powered dehydrator.

Blueberries, too.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

KozmoNaut posted:

This does not seem particularly safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOTiQKkQMo

:stonklol:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I just got round to watching that adapter o death video, and I woke the cat up with my "oh gently caress!"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adix posted:

you would think you could be right but that's because you didn't know coiners started accusing three olives of being a homophobe for this

Get this: internet detective stuff is never funny. Ever. It's poo poo autists do to get laughs out of 40 year old clinically depressed computer janitors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The world would be a safer place if this were installed on every truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAlbGRUAas

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The world would be a safer place if this were installed on every truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAlbGRUAas
:five:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Get this: internet detective stuff is never funny. Ever. It's poo poo autists do to get laughs out of 40 year old clinically depressed computer janitors.
Finding out that someone is an active fugitive isn't the same as digging up their history to mock.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

There's also this. screwdriver that detects AC power. But only some of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLAJ-keFmpk
"All that time you had a lethal voltage on those terminals. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not."

I've used these little detectors before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWH6xqq-qY0
The important thing to remember in an industrial environment is that those little no-contact detectors do NOT work on DC voltage. So if you are working on a 500VDC battery bank for a large UPS or a 125VDC system for switchgear, you cannot use a detector like that, you must always check using a voltmeter.

I think those little flukes work up to 1000Vac. At 2400V/4160V they start to beep at about three to four inches away. :science:

One last thing I found: really, REALLY REALLY dangerous multi-tap. That wire is not supposed to get anywhere near that hot! :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzP6OPK9zSI "The [power] cable is melting in the most disgusting way possible."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 15, 2015

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
not caught up on the thread but I have :words:

today i worked in the engine room of a ship. there were three fires in the space of about eight minutes. welders working on top of us in a recently painted room that hadn't been cleared of oily rags.

first fire: I didn't see, but I saw smoke and was like "wtf is there a fire? impossible, lol!" and yep someone was stomping it out. crisis averted.

second fire: spot welder threw some sparks onto a hoodie, goes up. I grab it, open a door, off the ship into the water. massive VWOOSH flames, not little tiny sparks.

open up the door for ventilation so we don't asphyxiate. I get one of the painters fans pushing fresh air into the (cramped and poorly ventilated) hold.

third fire: sparks into a PLASTIC BUCKET OF PAINT. it's on fire. the welder drops his poo poo, grabs the bucket, runs it outside, throws it into the water. chemical spill!!!!1

at this point im like hmm maybe someone should clean up all these oily rags? so i do that but also get a fire extinguisher and tell everyone ITS OKAY TO USE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOMP OUT FIRES!

there's like eight people (our entire department!) working in the room, plus welders. everyone has seen it. the Boss knows. nobody tells the safety officer. i am warned multiple times if I report it, everyone will be written up (and probably docked pay). I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

This all happened saturday morning, so I have until Monday to decide what the hell I'm going to do. as a reward for surviving my first encounter with fire in a goddamn enclosed space, i bought myself some new tool pouches. it didn't feel like enough.

EPILOGUE: the guy whose hoodie that was was extremely bitchy about it. at first i was sympathetic but he wouldn't shut up and now i hate him.

also i'm really pissed that I'm the only one who thinks this was life threatening & a Big Deal

froward fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

froward posted:

today i worked in the engine room of a ship. there were three fires in the space of about eight minutes. welders working on top of us in a recently painted room that hadn't been cleared of oily rags.

first fire: I didn't see, but I saw smoke and was like "wtf is there a fire? impossible, lol!" and yep someone was stomping it out. crisis averted.

second fire: spot welder threw some sparks onto a hoodie, goes up. I grab it, open a door, off the ship into the water. massive VWOOSH flames, not little tiny sparks.

open up the door for ventilation so we don't asphyxiate. I get one of the painters fans pushing fresh air into the (cramped and poorly ventilated) hold.

third fire: sparks into a PLASTIC BUCKET OF PAINT. it's on fire. the welder drops his poo poo, grabs the bucket, runs it outside, throws it into the water. chemical spill!!!!1

at this point im like hmm maybe someone should clean up all these oily rags? so i do that but also get a fire extinguisher and tell everyone ITS OKAY TO USE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOMP OUT FIRES!

there's like eight people (our entire department!) working in the room, plus welders. everyone has seen it. the Boss knows. nobody tells the safety officer. i am warned multiple times if I report it, everyone will be written up (and probably docked pay). I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

This all happened saturday morning, so I have until Monday to decide what the hell I'm going to do. as a reward for surviving my first encounter with fire in a goddamn enclosed space, i bought myself some new tool pouches. it didn't feel like enough.

EPILOGUE: the guy whose hoodie that was was extremely bitchy about it. at first i was sympathetic but he wouldn't shut up and now i hate him.

also i'm really pissed that I'm the only one who thinks this was life threatening & a Big Deal

Report it and report that they said not to report it

Then burn them all

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

froward posted:

So many hot work regulations being broken. I've been places where scraping paint is considered hot work since it can make sparks and someone has to monitor the area for a half hour afterwards to make sure there's no fires.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Stop posting poo poo without context retard.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
He's a stunt man and it was for a TV show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF2lNhByI5c&t=134s

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Came across this backhoe use on my Facebook and I'm not sure if it's OSHA, laziness, or kinda awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Report it and report that they said not to report it

Then burn them all

Already documented on this site, which is being archived by the library of congress. That should inform his choices.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I know my internet word doesn't stand for anything but the iPod overheating on me really did happen. I just checked with a former coworker and he said the FW would make the USB iPods charge faster and "sometimes put them back to life if the battery was totally dead" so there definitely was more power from the FW. Maybe it was a defective cable/iPod in my situation, but it's still pretty stupid imo to have those 2 different types of cables be the same 30 pin.

For a while iPods would sync and charge over both USB and Firewire. Both used the same 30 pin connector on the iPod side but used completely separate sets of pins due to the different power and data comm requirements. Eventually Apple stopped installing the hardware that allowed for Firewire data connections but kept the charging capability and once the lightning port came along (maybe before) they dropped the circuitry supporting that as well.

I remember using Firewire cables / chargers long after they introduced USB support because it was so much faster. Even when they dropped support for the data connections I had Firewire chargers around the house for a long time.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

froward posted:

How do you guys not have a fire extinguisher nearby if you're doing hot work? Do you know know if the welders are filing hot work permits with the safety officer? What exactly is it you do? You must be working with some lovely welders if they go into a room with oily rags and still think its safe enough to work.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Alternative to reporting the safety conditions: get injured, lawyer up, sue.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Three-Phase posted:

One last thing I found: really, REALLY REALLY dangerous multi-tap. That wire is not supposed to get anywhere near that hot! :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzP6OPK9zSI "The [power] cable is melting in the most disgusting way possible."

Totally safe to have the wire turn into a gooey, crunchy mess after skyrocketing to 300C after 10 amps.

That seems like the adapter one might buy for arson purposes. Oh poo poo, he can't extinguish the case once it catches fire. OMG.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Three-Phase posted:

There's also this. screwdriver that detects AC power. But only some of the time.
"All that time you had a lethal voltage on those terminals. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not."

I've used these little detectors before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWH6xqq-qY0
The important thing to remember in an industrial environment is that those little no-contact detectors do NOT work on DC voltage. So if you are working on a 500VDC battery bank for a large UPS or a 125VDC system for switchgear, you cannot use a detector like that, you must always check using a voltmeter.

I think those little flukes work up to 1000Vac. At 2400V/4160V they start to beep at about three to four inches away. :science:

For that one you should also watch part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ghsODkqUQ
If you don't want to watch the whole thing (there's quite a bit of padding/unnecessary overexplaining) watch the part at 4:20 where he catches a hilarious typo in the packaging and notes that the cord is almost impossible to unravel, the part at 8:25 where he tests the ground continuity, the part at 12:35 where he opens it up and reveals the incredibly horrible workmanship, the part at 19:55 where he examines the cord's insulation and wire quality, and finally the part at 25:25 where he measures the resistance of the cord (it's bad enough that 300 C at 10 amps makes perfect sense).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 15, 2015

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Three-Phase posted:

This guy either does not know what he has there, or he was purposely misleading. Not once did he use the words "phase tester", which is what these things are (and all that they're usable for): distinguishing the live and neutral wires. You'll notice that when he demonstrates the devices "not working", he never moves them to the second terminal to confirm that they also show nothing there.

Got this from my grandfather 30+ years ago. I have no idea when it was made, it's certainly older than 50 years.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I much prefer photonicinduction's look at those screwdrivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXQNLq19FQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zopotantor posted:

This guy either does not know what he has there, or he was purposely misleading. Not once did he use the words "phase tester", which is what these things are (and all that they're usable for): distinguishing the live and neutral wires. You'll notice that when he demonstrates the devices "not working", he never moves them to the second terminal to confirm that they also show nothing there.

Got this from my grandfather 30+ years ago. I have no idea when it was made, it's certainly older than 50 years.

I found myself pretty annoyed that he wasn't at all explaining the difference between the times when it worked and the times when it didn't. Wikipedia is not helping me out, will someone please explain how these things are supposed to work if the answer isn't "ground the hot side through your body"?

• Locked thread