Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is this what happens when Tom's page backlog suddenly dries up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I know right, he didn't even finish this page! What a lazy loser that guy is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's so lazy I can't even finish my

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
sandwiches

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

This isn't a splash page reading "The End?"

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Best chapter, best bonus page, best comic :allears:

Splicer posted:

sandwiches

NO now I'll have that in my head forever :mad:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The question mark is clearly coyote

because

he's

a

sketchy

character

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Splicer posted:

because

he's

a

sketchy

character

I'm gonna knock over one of your silly buildings for this post.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

EmmyOk posted:

She is holding up Boxbot

That is physically impossible.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Sorry if this has been addressed at length, but...does anyone else feel like the comic is settling into a weird pattern of like, heading off narrative conflict? The "Break Out" chapter and the setup to it were obviously a joke, but that's how nearly all the storylines have felt to me for a while now--things always get defused before they really go anywhere.

Maybe that's unfair, though. I might be expecting a different kind of comic than the one I'm actually reading.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=995

Whatever happened to the person with the animated avatar of this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Splicer posted:

because

he's

a

sketchy

character

you gently caress :mad:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Splicer posted:

because

he's

a

sketchy

character

don't you mean

a questionable character

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
say what you will, but he's always been known to be very

punctual

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I laughed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KaosMachina posted:

don't you mean

a questionable character

Cat Mattress posted:

say what you will, but he's always been known to be very

punctual
Yes. More.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed at length, but...does anyone else feel like the comic is settling into a weird pattern of like, heading off narrative conflict? The "Break Out" chapter and the setup to it were obviously a joke, but that's how nearly all the storylines have felt to me for a while now--things always get defused before they really go anywhere.

Maybe that's unfair, though. I might be expecting a different kind of comic than the one I'm actually reading.

gunnerkrigg is Safe, friend. enjoy 1000 years of comics

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Kat chapter! :neckbeard:

It's gonna be more cult-bot :smith:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Totally into there being more cult-bot :unsmigghh:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Haledjian posted:

I feel the same and wish we knew where we were in the story line. Half way through? Two thirds? One third? Not knowing that is screwing up my expectations for the pacing. I got into Unsounded recently and knowing we're wrapping up the first act of three right now is really helpful for getting hype. Meanwhile, I've been following GC since the Fangs of Summertime and it still feels like very little has happened since then. A lot of set up and no dominoes falling. (Yet.)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
No dominoes falling? Jones revealed what she is. Kat and Paz got together. There have been several increasingly worrying payoffs to the robot cult/Kat mystery. Antimony was denied Court Medium and became Forest Medium. Anthony freakin' Carver just came back. We discovered who Jeanne is.

All these events have arguably raised more questions and concerns than they resolve, but they have definitely been payoff moments to set up from earlier in the story. Gunnerkrigg's overarching pacing isn't about a rising action to a climax and then some falling action. It's a gradually increasing understanding of the world, where the more you know, the more complex you realize things are. Like growing up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've never felt a particular need to get to the end of Gunnerkrigg. I just enjoy the ride. I enjoy seeing these characters grow and seeing what they do next and learning more about the world they inhabit. I'm not waiting in anticipation for when all the pieces fit together and two giant armies fight each other endlessly like a LOTR film. It's not that kind of story for me.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Quantum Finger posted:

I feel the same and wish we knew where we were in the story line. Half way through? Two thirds? One third? Not knowing that is screwing up my expectations for the pacing. I got into Unsounded recently and knowing we're wrapping up the first act of three right now is really helpful for getting hype. Meanwhile, I've been following GC since the Fangs of Summertime and it still feels like very little has happened since then. A lot of set up and no dominoes falling. (Yet.)

If you want some reference point for the timeline, you could assume that the comic will end around the time Annie is scheduled to graduate the school, since it started when she arrived there. Even though the main plot of the comic is about other stuff, stories set in schools tend to coincidentally take the same time to resolve as the education.

She started in the "7th year", and there've been three summer breaks since (the one she spent alone at the court expecting her dad to arrive any day now, the one she ran away to the forest, the one that just ended where she hung out at school with Kat who was doing science stuff), so we're starting Year 10 now. With Year 11 and "sixth form" after that, the comic's about halfway through, possibly. It's as good an estimate as any.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 14, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
yeah but don't forget she's a big, dumb giant who got sent back a year!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wittgen posted:

No dominoes falling? Jones revealed what she is. Kat and Paz got together. There have been several increasingly worrying payoffs to the robot cult/Kat mystery. Antimony was denied Court Medium and became Forest Medium. Anthony freakin' Carver just came back. We discovered who Jeanne is.

All these events have arguably raised more questions and concerns than they resolve, but they have definitely been payoff moments to set up from earlier in the story. Gunnerkrigg's overarching pacing isn't about a rising action to a climax and then some falling action. It's a gradually increasing understanding of the world, where the more you know, the more complex you realize things are. Like growing up.

Reminds me of Never Let Me Go.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Ditocoaf posted:

.With Year 11 and "sixth form" after that, the comic's about halfway through, possibly. It's as good an estimate as any.

Bear in mind that sixth form is not mandatory, and is normally only taken up by those interested in further education (e.g. As a stepping stone to university).
It's an unlikely path for somebody's who had to repeat a year since they weren't interested in the materiel enough to keep up with their studies (and would possibly prefer to continue education in a vocational setting, like an apprenticeship or internship)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Halfway through?? So it's due to finish in about 2025?

It will have taken Tom 20 years from start to finish!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Halfway through?? So it's due to finish in about 2025?

It will have taken Tom 20 years from start to finish!

Oh my god, I've been reading Gunnnerkrigg since 2006. I was still in high school! If it goes on for another ten I will have been reading it for over half my entire life.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Noonsaliwah posted:

Bear in mind that sixth form is not mandatory, and is normally only taken up by those interested in further education (e.g. As a stepping stone to university).
It's an unlikely path for somebody's who had to repeat a year since they weren't interested in the materiel enough to keep up with their studies (and would possibly prefer to continue education in a vocational setting, like an apprenticeship or internship)

I don't know if the problem was a lack of interest in the material. Tony said she got good grades in biology and history, which she would have learned at the hospital. My guess is she was cheating because she was never taught anything else.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Paz's hair is flippy now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:siren:NEW HAIRCUT:siren:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lurdiak posted:

:siren:NEW HAIRCUT:siren:
Maybe it's just the perspective, but that looks kind of bad.
2/10

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Kat's experiments with organic robotics have reached a new level.

Bah, forget that. PAZ GOT A NEW HAIRCUT!

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Kat Donlan: Robobiologist.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Robomuscles begins.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Since this is a test I wonder what kind of crisis robot is going to experience when kat disconnects him again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat you fool, you've given him the power to flex

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Looking at Lurdiak's avatar I'm not sure it is

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The ends are more curved forwards than before. This is of vital importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's also shorter overall.