Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Volt Catfish posted:

I really like the Legends games but I have a problem with them in that I think it costs way too much money to upgrade the weapons, functionally making most of them useless

Most of them are useless already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

I really like the Legends games but I have a problem with them in that I think it costs way too much money to upgrade the weapons, functionally making most of them useless

i mostly just stuck to the homing missle launcher in 2 and grinded my way to infinite energy, gently caress using anything else.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, there are weapons beyond the Vacuum Arm?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This isn't directly related to MM/MN9/etc but it's worth mentioning - Fuze, the Chinese not-Ouya company that's paying for Red Ash, has announced a "strategic partnership" with Koei-Tecmo. Maybe they're not as illegitimate as they seem? Maybe K-T doesn't give a gently caress so long as they get paid? https://zhugeex.com/2015/10/fuze-entertainment-and-koei-tecmo-enter-strategic-partnership/

EDIT: also, Shantae HGH has a new playable backer build!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gunvolt PC was updated with an "Endless Attack Mode":

quote:

What is Endless Attack Mode?

In Endless Attack Mode, once the game starts, you do not return to the stage select screen as you continuously make your way through stages until you run out of HP. Your score is based off how many stages you can clear through. Progressing through stages is quite a bit different in this mode, however. When you destroy a hexapyle (pink gates that transfer you to the next part of a stage) or defeat a boss, you will be transported to a completely random stage, either at the beginning of a stage or from one of the hexapyles that appear midway through a stage. You will continue in this fashion until you run out of HP, at which point it's game over, and you will return to the Title Screen.

Custom gameplay settings have been implemented for this mode as well:

You will only have access to three special skills: Astrasphere, Luxcalibur, and Voltaic Chains

Prevasion has been disabled

You will be unable to refill your HP, with the exception of leveling up (when you level up, your HP is restored to full)

All of your accumulated Kudos will remain when you move between areas (they will be lost if you touch a retry marker though, as they normally would)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If I liked the MMZero series would I like Gunvolt?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

If I liked the MMZero series would I like Gunvolt?

It depends on what you liked about the MMZ series. Were you fond of the 'getting an S-rank on every level' gameplay or just the basic style? Gunvolt is geared towards people who preferred the former and they're really not shy about it. The entire game is built around focusing on getting no-hit speedrun s-ranks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on what you liked about the MMZ series. Were you fond of the 'getting an S-rank on every level' gameplay or just the basic style? Gunvolt is geared towards people who preferred the former and they're really not shy about it. The entire game is built around focusing on getting no-hit speedrun s-ranks.

S-ranking the games were fun, yeah. Guess I'll give it a try.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've been trying to play through the most recent version of the fan game "Mega Man Revolution". When I say "most recent version", I mean the 8.7.5 "demo" version which is the full game, but has a bunch of balance changes yet still has the kind of visually unappealing bosses. I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, ugly robot masters and all, but I finished two stages and every time I try to save the game it crashes. I thought that I would ask here on the off chance that someone else has run into this. It's a shame because the game is well done in a lot of ways. I really enjoy the special weapons that you get, like the shotgun, pulse cannon and semi-smart missile, that are hidden in tricky parts of the stages. I wish that more MM games had these.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Red Shift was really cool, and I can't believe Archie made Honey Woman a thing and make it not terrible. I'm going to miss this comic so much.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese version of Megaman Legacy Collection for 3DS is getting a limited edition with lots of extra crap: http://www.e-capcom.com/RCC/

It's a box set with the game, a techo/day planner, some bookmarks, a set of six replacement cover sleeves (one for each of the Famicom games) and a couple 3DS menu themes. Buying the standard edition direct from e-Capcom will also get you the menu themes and one of the cover sleeves, picked at random.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I love that in the MM6 art on that site you can see that "Mr. X" even still has white sleeves. Wily really was putting in zero effort.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Have they said anymore about a release date for physical copies of Legacy? I'd like to get a 3DS copy when they become available.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese version is out February 24 and I imagine the international release will come at around the same time but it hasn't been announced.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does the 3DS version of Legacy actually display the games in 3D?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All signs point to no.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Enjoy a Throwback Thursday. I've had this fucker for nineteen years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gold Mega Man amiibo announced as a pack in with a limited edition of Legacy Collection on 3DS

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah yes, a hideously tacky, lazy repaint with no different functionality over the original. That'll sell like hot puke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

Ah yes, a hideously tacky, lazy repaint with no different functionality over the original. That'll sell like hot puke.

The Gold and Silver Marios sold pretty well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'll generously attribute that to Gold Mario being an actual thing in that one NSMB.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

jivjov posted:

The Gold and Silver Marios sold pretty well.

they have different functionality in games like Mario Maker too. you can get Gold Mario and Silver Mario as special powerup costumes and when they get an invincibility star it plays the Metal Mario theme from super mario 64

so there's definitely a chance for them to do some fancy extra stuff with this amiibo in the future if they want to

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dabir posted:

I didn't think the Legacy Collection was THAT bad.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Kelp Plankton posted:

they have different functionality in games like Mario Maker too. you can get Gold Mario and Silver Mario as special powerup costumes and when they get an invincibility star it plays the Metal Mario theme from super mario 64

so there's definitely a chance for them to do some fancy extra stuff with this amiibo in the future if they want to

Cool I wonder what the gold Mega Man will do in the WiiU version of Legacy Collection

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Was there really no alternative to Gold MM that they could have gone with? Even just Metal Blade colours or something would have been more appropriate, if they insisted on being cheap.

EDIT: come to think of it, Metal Blade MM would be a great Amiibo, it'd be fun to tap him into different games and just wreck everything.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rush colors would've been pretty cool.

As for functionality, the IGN article linked below states that both the regular and gold MM amiibos will be able to unlock 11 exclusive challenges. That could always change and there could very well be gold only stuff, but right now it seems like you're good if you have either one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/12/gold-mega-man-amiibo-announced

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

Enjoy a Throwback Thursday. I've had this fucker for nineteen years.

Is that the painful 256-color DOS version that came with a beige 6-button gamepad?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Andrigaar posted:

Is that the painful 256-color DOS version that came with a beige 6-button gamepad?

Yeep. But mine did not come with a controller, it was just the CD, manual, and whatever advertising that was with all of it in the box. But my consolation prize that Christmas was a Microsoft Sidewinder.

I played the DOS version with the keyboard using the default controls. I'd task out to Windows 95 all the time by pressing alt to jump and Ctrl to dash.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Star Man posted:

Yeep. But mine did not come with a controller, it was just the CD, manual, and whatever advertising that was with all of it in the box. But my consolation prize that Christmas was a Microsoft Sidewinder.

I played the DOS version with the keyboard using the default controls. I'd task out to Windows 95 all the time by pressing alt to jump and Ctrl to dash.

You didn't really miss out on anything. The controller, basically a rip-off of the Sega 6-button pad, was nice while it lasted but either fell apart or just wasn't as comfy as the Sidewinder I also eventually got.

Somewhere in this room that CD is, as well as the X3 and X4 Windows ports I got in the clearance bin. Love those ports.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Andrigaar posted:

You didn't really miss out on anything. The controller, basically a rip-off of the Sega 6-button pad, was nice while it lasted but either fell apart or just wasn't as comfy as the Sidewinder I also eventually got.

Somewhere in this room that CD is, as well as the X3 and X4 Windows ports I got in the clearance bin. Love those ports.

Well, I had the joystick, not the gamepad. You don't want to even attempt to play a platformer with a joystick like that.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Anybody try that hack that recreates a "fully" playable Zero for X3? I'm pretty sure someone mentioned an old version (or the X2 project he was working on) here ages ago.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
USgamer has a recent interview with Inafune about Mighty No. 9:

The Whys & Wherefores of Mighty No. 9 - Comcept's outspoken boss Keiji Inafune on delays, partnerships, and knowing when enough's enough

Edit: The follow-up interview about Red Ash is also up: The Failure and Fortunes of Red Ash

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 14, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Doom Goon posted:

Anybody try that hack that recreates a "fully" playable Zero for X3? I'm pretty sure someone mentioned an old version (or the X2 project he was working on) here ages ago.

No, but I've actually thought of getting a custom repro cart of it made.

Some hacks nobody has ever made but I would really love are charging \ sliding in Mega Man 1-3, using select to cycle weapons in all the NES Mega Men, and a hack of Metal Gear for NES that makes it more like the MSX version.

At least Sonic 3 Complete is a thing, so I can have the "perfect" version of that game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inafune posted:

Inafune: Once we establish ourselves as an IP holder, getting big enough to be able to hold a booth in this kind of event… when that happens,

Something about this quote really bothers me, but I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Because Inafune said it and the Internet has made him history's greatest monster.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ometeotl posted:

Because Inafune said it and the Internet has made him history's greatest monster.

isn't that chris roberts

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

I haven't tried the new one but the older one was fun, between all the balance changes it made to the special weapons, X, and some of the bosses it made for a good time replaying it. It looks like all that's changed since the old version is bugfixes and some animation stuff?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gunvolt's latest free update: Christmas Mode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcG-npbOv4

Gunvolt, Mighty Gunvolt and associated DLC are all half-off during the Steam sale, and the 3DS version is also half-off in NA.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If anyone's looking for something cheap to scratch the MM itch, a Japanese 3DS game called Legend of Dark Witch just released on Steam and is $4 right now - it's clearly low-budget but neat for what it is: http://store.steampowered.com/app/420770/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Legend of Dark Witch isn't very good to be honest. I'd even call it bad.