Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It can land normally. Landing on a CATOBAR carrier isn't normal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Am I reading hobbesmaster correctly that the F-35B isn't actually strong enough to survive a "normal" carrier landing such that it always has to VTOL down? Or is the reason for always using VTOL something else?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

It can land normally. Landing on a CATOBAR carrier isn't normal though.

Yeah, I that's why the quotes. I understand the issues with landing on a carrier. :v:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Am I reading hobbesmaster correctly that the F-35B isn't actually strong enough to survive a "normal" carrier landing such that it always has to VTOL down? Or is the reason for always using VTOL something else?

That's how I'm reading it too. If yes, this just keeps getting better. I'd say I'm surprised, but nothing about f35 surprises me anymore.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

blowfish posted:

The F35C on the other hand... (lol parts commonality lol).
They built a plane that can happily survive "crash" landings and get back up in the air to fight another day... and gave it to the navy, instead of the marines? You'd think [lazy marine stereotype] [mattress joke] [reminder that the c isn't fighting either].

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In non-emergency circumstances, landing an F-35B on a carrier will always require VTOL, because the airframe is not reinforced for arrested landings, and a carrier deck is too short for normal landings. When landing at a normal runway, the F-35B is capable of a normal approach and landing like any other aircraft

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you want a plane to land on a boat, you have three options:
1. The plane can fly really, really slowly so that an ultra-short runway is long enough. Vertical landing is a way to satisfy this requirement, since having a landspeed of about 0 km/h while hovering does count as flying really slowly.
2. The plane cannot fly slowly, but it can take a serious beating in the form of decelerating really quickly: this is the AR part of CATOBAR and STOBAR: assisted recovery. This usually requires special equipment on the carrier.
3. The plane actually lands on the sea water, and then you pull it up on the boat. There are many difficulties involved in making a float plane or flying boat design into a supersonic jet fighter, so this approach is no longer used.

I guess just for completeness's sake, here's the comedy fourth option:
4. The boat is big enough that its runway allows unassisted conventional landing. For reference, the minimum runway length for the F-35A has been stated to be 8000 ft, or 1.5 miles, and for further reference the longest ships ever built are barely above 1/6th of that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cat Mattress posted:

4. The boat is big enough that its runway allows unassisted conventional landing. For reference, the minimum runway length for the F-35A has been stated to be 8000 ft, or 1.5 miles, and for further reference the longest ships ever built are barely above 1/6th of that.

So you're saying that if we put seven ships end to end to make a connected runaway, this would work? Sounds like a plan!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Truga posted:

IMHO, Russians took the right turn here and most of their planes are designed to be able to take off and land on unpaved runways. Level a chunk of land, run a couple rollers over it, land MiGs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

That's quite the "if" you've got there. More to the point, once (1) you've surrounded all your adversaries with land bases and (2) none of your adversaries even have appreciable naval air power, why even bother needlessly and expensively complicating the development of your workhorse fighter? Hell, why even bother with the F-35 instead of just expanding the F-22 fleet at that point? None of it makes any sense except the Navy insisting that it needs to keep doing things a certain way because it's used to doing things that way.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

You need to step up your giant burning money pit game son. The DOD is way ahead of you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's quite the "if" you've got there. More to the point, once (1) you've surrounded all your adversaries with land bases and (2) none of your adversaries even have appreciable naval air power, why even bother needlessly and expensively complicating the development of your workhorse fighter? Hell, why even bother with the F-35 instead of just expanding the F-22 fleet at that point? None of it makes any sense except the Navy insisting that it needs to keep doing things a certain way because it's used to doing things that way.

Well none of the bases are actually US bases and it can be logistically and politically complicated to use the bases of allied countries. Carriers can also be positioned closer to the action while a comparably close ground base may be easily attacked.

That is the case for large carriers. The case for F-35B sized carriers is OORAH GUADALCANAL

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

hobbesmaster posted:

That is the case for large carriers. The case for F-35B sized carriers is OORAH GUADALCANAL

It also lets the marines cosplay being an alliance of second rate powers with harrier carriers that can beat up countries without an air force and/or pretend to be useful after the US Navy gets done freedomising any real opposition.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In other DoD/USMC failure news, I wonder how much this basketball court cost.

(the game between Pitt and Gonzaga was just cancelled due to unsafe floor conditions)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

hobbesmaster posted:

Well none of the bases are actually US bases and it can be logistically and politically complicated to use the bases of allied countries. Carriers can also be positioned closer to the action while a comparably close ground base may be easily attacked.

Russia:
We have solid relationships with the countries that offer land bases all over eastern Europe, nothing that can be replicated by carriers. The Middle East bases are more transitory, but that neighborhood doesn't really lend itself to carriers short of getting into corner of the Persian Gulf. In the far east, there's Japan. Can carrier groups even operate in the Arctic Sea?

China:
Not a chance in hell Korea or Japan object to US bases in the case of a shooting war with China.

Where are these overseas land bases that create logistically and politically complicated situations that could be improved by carrier coverage in competitive air theatres?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
You don't fire ballistic missiles at CVs. CVs also don't care if the country you're fighting over already got gobbled up by the enemy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Where are these overseas land bases that create logistically and politically complicated situations that could be improved by carrier coverage in competitive air theatres?

Turkey's a good recent example.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

blowfish posted:

You don't fire ballistic missiles at CVs.

The Chinese disagree
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-21#DF-21D

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

SgtMongoose posted:

You need to step up your giant burning money pit game son. The DOD is way ahead of you.

I don't want to live in America anymore if we don't build a Mobile Oppression Palace.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Chinese have been hurf durfing about how they can totes IRBM carrier and how this CHANGES EVERYTHING for years. They have yet to actually demonstrate that capacity.

Fun geopolitics fact: It is extremely unwise to launch ballistic missiles at things America owns.

Edit: Wow I had to edit this post like 5 times because I am bad at words.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 14, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

1. The plane can fly really, really slowly so that an ultra-short runway is long enough. Vertical landing is a way to satisfy this requirement, since having a landspeed of about 0 km/h while hovering does count as flying really slowly.
2. The plane cannot fly slowly, but it can take a serious beating in the form of decelerating really quickly: this is the AR part of CATOBAR and STOBAR: assisted recovery. This usually requires special equipment on the carrier.
3. The plane actually lands on the sea water, and then you pull it up on the boat. There are many difficulties involved in making a float plane or flying boat design into a supersonic jet fighter, so this approach is no longer used.

Thank you. I understood all the other ways that a plane might land on a carrier, I suppose I was just expecting that the F-35B could use method #2 since it's specifically the naval version.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They have nuclear weapons that fit in missiles of all sizes from small missiles to ICBMs. Of course they can take out a loving carrier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Chinese have been hurf durfing about how they can totes IRBM carrier and how this CHANGES EVERYTHING for years. They have yet to actually demonstrate that capacity.

Fun geopolitics fact: It is extremely unwise to launch ballistic missiles at things America owns.

Edit: Wow I had to edit this post like 5 times because I am bad at words.

Hasn't stopped someone from doing it before. A couple times. It's not much worse than using a plane to bomb something America owns unless you're a country with a doctrine that says "we'll totally nuke first for fun!" China is explicitly not such a country. They couldn't rely on conventional ICBMs as a credible force if they weren't extremely insistent that they will never just first strike somebody with a nuke.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you. I understood all the other ways that a plane might land on a carrier, I suppose I was just expecting that the F-35B could use method #2 since it's specifically the naval version.
The F-35C is the CATOBAR version for the Navy and USMC carrier air wings. The F-35B is the STOVL version for USMC squadrons on amphibious assault ships.

mlmp08 posted:

Hasn't stopped someone from doing it before. A couple times. It's not much worse than using a plane to bomb something America owns unless you're a country with a doctrine that says "we'll totally nuke first for fun!" China is explicitly not such a country. They couldn't rely on conventional ICBMs as a credible force if they weren't extremely insistent that they will never just first strike somebody with a nuke.
All the insistence in the world isn't going to save them if they decide to pop off a wave of IRBMs in the general direction of Japan. Nobody is going to wait for those suckers to land to see if they're ballistic kill vehicles or MIRVs. There's a reason the US and USSR both abandoned this idea in the 1980's (and again in the 90's-2000's). Launching IR/CBMs at things is a hyper-provocative move for a nuclear power in a conventional conflict.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 14, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Just for completeness's sake of your comedy options:
6. Have a carrier that goes really loving fast, so that the difference between the carrier speed and the stall speed is low enough that it can be covered on a really short runway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

6. Have a carrier that goes really loving fast, so that the difference between the carrier speed and the stall speed is low enough that it can be covered on a really short runway.

What if you had a carrier with a conveyor belt that spins as fast as the landing plane is traveling?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Jarmak posted:

Don't they kind of already do this, except in the sense that they point the carrier into the wind?

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I think magnets would be a better fit. No need for landing gear, and if you just reverse the polarity you can launch. Also using the sides of the aircraft carriers as flight decks helps save taxpayer money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kilroy posted:

Don't they kind of already do this, except in the sense that they point the carrier into the wind?

And carriers are actually pretty fast too, you're still only getting like 40 knots out of that. Pretty big for WWII piston aircraft.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Yes, for WW2 era craft it was a pretty big deal

gradenko_2000 posted:

What if you had a carrier with a conveyor belt that spins as fast as the landing plane is traveling?

The plane gets flung off the end of the conveyor belt?

Malcolm posted:

I think magnets would be a better fit. No need for landing gear, and if you just reverse the polarity you can launch. Also using the sides of the aircraft carriers as flight decks helps save taxpayer money.

We already do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

In other DoD/USMC failure news, I wonder how much this basketball court cost.

(the game between Pitt and Gonzaga was just cancelled due to unsafe floor conditions)

Nah. The game was cancelled because they skimped out on HVAC.

They couldn't dry off the floor because it was like 80% RH and the only thing trying to keep the court cool and dry were 4 big fans

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

Turkey's a good recent example.

So we need to maintain a dozen carrier fleets and handicap the development of a fighter in the off chance that each of the following happen:
(1) Turkey drops out of NATO
(2) Turkey secretly develops a large, modern air force
(3) the US loses access to all of its land bases in Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Uzbekistan, Italy, Germany, UK
(4) Turkey launches military operations against the United States
(5) the US either fails to recognize or ignores all of the circumstances leading to this situation

I guess this is all theoretically possible, but it certainly doesn't seem like a serious scenario to plan for when there are so many domestic spending priorities that are being ignored while money is being funneled toward military budgets.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So we need to maintain a dozen carrier fleets and handicap the development of a fighter in the off chance that each of the following happen:
(3) the US loses access to all of its land bases in Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Uzbekistan, Italy, Germany, UK
(5) the US either fails to recognize or ignores all of the circumstances leading to this situation

I guess this is all theoretically possible, but it certainly doesn't seem like a serious scenario to plan for when there are so many domestic spending priorities that are being ignored while money is being funneled toward military budgets.

That's one good reason but another good reason is to be able to bomb just about any country on the earth if need be without asking anyone's permission.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

That's one good reason but another good reason is to be able to bomb just about any country on the earth if need be without asking anyone's permission.
Also it's nice to be able to just show up in anyone's backyard and be like "Yeah, that's a cute military, but I brought a better one, and a half dozen more just like it can be here in a week."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If we cut military spending by 90% tomorrow, not one dime would be 'freed up' for domestic priorities. That's not how federal spending works. You still have to get Congress on board with allocating additional funding to those programs. Oh wait, the Republicans hate spending money on social welfare programs, and would probably use the drawdown as an excuse to just cut taxes more.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 14, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Same argument applies to "why not cut manned spaceflight so we can spend more money on robots?" - because the money spent on astronauts by NASA is allocated by Congress for the purpose of spending on astronauts, and removing the appropriation for astronauts would not automatically increase the civilian space robots budget by one dime. If we wanted to spend more money on space robots that look outward, we'd do so.

We spend lots of money on space robots that look back at us though. There are spy satellites that individually cost more than a brand-new aircraft carrier! And that's not counting the cost of the rocket to get it up there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nah. The kind of deceleration you get from an assisted landing is comparable to being in a car crash, you have two or three seconds to lose 140+ mph. Imagine a stunt car designed to be slammed into walls repeatedly. You'll need a strongly reinforced structure if you don't want it to break apart on impact, and you need ways to ensure the pilot isn't killed as a consequence of standard operating procedures. Now imagine your stunt car also needs to fly, so you have to make it as light as possible by removing all structural reinforcements and shock absorbers and other such useless features. That's your F-35BC, an impossible plane.

There's no precise figure online, but the engine block on the F-35B is about two tons heavier than on the A and C versions: the lift fan is the main culprit of course, but you also have the whole stuff to bend the jet exhaust, the extra ducts in the wings, etc. and all that adds up to about two tons. Despite that, the C version is still heavier than the B version, and that's not something you can entirely explain by its larger wings.

TL;DR: If the F-35B was made CATOBAR-capable, it would become too heavy to fly.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The flight deck crew would be flung into the sea, and the tires on the landing gear would be used up twice as fast, no other noticeable effect.

Now if instead you put a really strong fan on the carrier, that blows air at the speed the landing aircraft is traveling, then you'd still fling the flight deck crew into the sea but any plane could become VTOL.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Turkey didn't need to drop out of NATO to deny US forces the use of their Incirlik air base until some agreement was negotiated, the terms of which are not public but it apparently involving not protesting when Turkey bombs our Kurdish allies and thereby provides direct assistance to Daesh.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 14, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

Now if instead you put a really strong fan on the carrier, that blows air at the speed the landing aircraft is traveling, then you'd still fling the flight deck crew into the sea but any plane could become VTOL.

I knew we could find a reasonable compromise.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

All the insistence in the world isn't going to save them if they decide to pop off a wave of IRBMs in the general direction of Japan. Nobody is going to wait for those suckers to land to see if they're ballistic kill vehicles or MIRVs. There's a reason the US and USSR both abandoned this idea in the 1980's (and again in the 90's-2000's). Launching IR/CBMs at things is a hyper-provocative move for a nuclear power in a conventional conflict.

Where are you getting this from? What kind of conceptual breakthrough had been achieved in "the 90's-2000's" where people weren't running the gently caress away from launch-on-warning? Which doctrinal paper is there to be read about this? Are you describing a situation where the US isn't going to wait and check on the payload type of incoming RVs outside CONUS, but instead goes for an immediate WMD retaliation? Are you suggesting that the US will automatically escalate a theater conflict into global nuclear war?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly do you propose checking the payload of a missile in flight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

Turkey didn't need to drop out of NATO to deny US forces the use of their Incirlik air base until some agreement was negotiated, the terms of which are not public but it apparently involving not protesting when Turkey bombs our Kurdish allies and thereby provides direct assistance to Daesh.

So use any of the other dozen or so bases in the neighborhood? Especially if the conversation is some non-state actor like ISIS rather than a real enemy, the conclusion to a slight inconvenience in starting a bombing campaign shouldn't be "Well, we could spend more effort on engagement with partners and maybe reconsider the immediate necessity of some campaigns. That sounds hard, let's spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a dozen floating cities that individually outclass most of the world's air forces."

• Locked thread