Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teagone posted:

I also use it as the background :smug:

I'm literally shaking with anger right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I have an HP n54l microserver running freenas, which offers plex server as a plugin. Does anyone have experience with transcoding on the n54l? The client will be an amazon fire TV stick, and I want to know if my microserver had the guts for this before I pay for the fire tv plex client.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I have an HP n54l microserver running freenas, which offers plex server as a plugin. Does anyone have experience with transcoding on the n54l? The client will be an amazon fire TV stick, and I want to know if my microserver had the guts for this before I pay for the fire tv plex client.

You can test your server's transcoding capabilities using any PC or Mac by using the web app. Just go http://plex.tv/web in your browser, go to Settings > Web > Player then hit "Show Advanced" and untick Direct Play and Direct Stream. For added assurance that your server will transcode, change the Local/Remote/Online quality to 8Mbps 1080p and playback something that has a bitrate higher than 8Mbps.

That said, looking up the specs of the n54l, that Turion might not have enough juice. Is the Fire TV stick a remote client? Or on your local network? Because if its local, depending on your media and HT setup, the TV stick could direct stream content from your server which isn't as hard on the CPU as straight up transcoding.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 7, 2015

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
It is on the network. And thanks for the tips!

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!
I do have the N54L running Plex Server and the FireTV Stick is only choking on really high bitrate untouched blurays ... everything else is running fine as long as you can use "Direct play".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I know there didn't used to be, but I haven't been following changes too closely - can you see history of people who share your library yet, or at least see if someone is currently streaming?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

.. or at least see if someone is currently streaming?

Don't know about the former, but if you log into the Plex Server web interface, there's an icon at the top that will indicate current number of active streams. If you click it, you'll see who is watching what (and you can click further to get a breakdown of whether it's Direct Play or not etc)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't know about the former, but if you log into the Plex Server web interface, there's an icon at the top that will indicate current number of active streams. If you click it, you'll see who is watching what (and you can click further to get a breakdown of whether it's Direct Play or not etc)

Isn't the view "Activity > Now Playing" a Plex Pass feature? Or did they roll that in for everyone to use in a past update?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've got PP so I can't say, but I'm sure I was able to do that before I bought PP. It seems an odd feature to give, but I wouldn't put it past them...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm, I remember it not being available before I decided to drop the cash for a lifetime pass.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

teagone posted:

Hmm, I remember it not being available before I decided to drop the cash for a lifetime pass.

I'm not a plex pass user and I can access Now Playing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

I'm not a plex pass user and I can access Now Playing

K, guess they rolled it in then :haw:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I was all excited when I saw Plex was finally released on ATV, so I undid all my plexconnect IP / DNS fuckery settings on ATV, updated it... and wondered where the Plex icon was?

Only then did I realize it was for the newest ATV, not ATV3 :(

Are there any plans for support on ATV3?

:Edit: According to the plex forums no, as they're completely different operating systems between ATV3 and ATV4

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 11, 2015

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ATV3 doesn't have an App Store, ATV4 does. And yes, the are totally different OSs.

Just sell your ATV3 on Amazon or Craigslist and buy a new one. I was able to recoup over 1/2 the cost. Worth it for legit Plex on ATV.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tonic posted:

ATV3 doesn't have an App Store, ATV4 does. And yes, the are totally different OSs.

Just sell your ATV3 on Amazon or Craigslist and buy a new one. I was able to recoup over 1/2 the cost. Worth it for legit Plex on ATV.

Might just have to do that

I'll look on the SA Mart first, that's where I got my ATV3

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

tonic posted:

The least expensive ATV4 is $150. The ATV3 sells for $65.

How were you able to sell a used ATV3 for over $75?

Are craigslist shoppers that stupid?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cornjob posted:

The least expensive ATV4 is $150. The ATV3 sells for $65.

How were you able to sell a used ATV3 for over $75?

Are craigslist shoppers that stupid?

I've already noticed quite a few ATV3 for $100 on the usual places, used as well, people really are that dense

I'm pretty sure I bought mine from SA Mart for something like $70~

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you sure they are not jailbroken Apple TV 2s? Because it looks like they struggle to sell above 40 shipped on eBay.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Are you sure they are not jailbroken Apple TV 2s? Because it looks like they struggle to sell above 40 shipped on eBay.

This was over a year ago, so not sure how much the price has dropped

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I just tried Plex on the new ATV. its a thing of beauty. its a shame the plex app isnt like this on other platfhardware.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Edit: Nevermind

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Is there a standard recommendation on a small form factor server to sit behind my TV and act as storage and power 1080p playback from Plex? I've been running it over wifi from my desktop in the basement but I'm suddenly motivated to do something properly. I've also gotten really lazy so piecing something together isn't as exciting to me as it used to be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're really lazy a Mac Mini refurbed is $415 on the Apple store. I transcode occasionally but it's still overkill.

But hey, plug and play, it's small and it's silent. I plug the HDMI into the TV directly and use Home Theatre for that TV.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I was thinking something with 2-3 HDD bays for 2TB disks. After looking around at things like mini HP servers its probably just going to be better for me to build something so I have the option of throwing a video card in if I want to use it for games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arzakon posted:

I was thinking something with 2-3 HDD bays for 2TB disks. After looking around at things like mini HP servers its probably just going to be better for me to build something so I have the option of throwing a video card in if I want to use it for games.

An option to consider is to grab a Lenovo TS140 barebones server, either the Core i3 or Xeon model depending on your budget. I believe the TS140 has 3 or 4 HDD bays. Right now the Core i3 + 4GB RAM TS140 is $270 on Amazon. I've seen it go as low as $200-$220 during sales on Amazon and other sites. You just need to add HDDs and an OS and you're good to go. The PSU in the entry level TS140 should be fine for something like a Geforce 750Ti or something similar if you also want to use it for some gaming; they come standard with a 280W 80 PLUS Bronze rated PSU. If you want to upgrade the PSU of a TS140, you need to buy a plug adapter since Lenovo uses some weird proprietary 14-pin power plug on the TS140 mainboard.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

teagone posted:

An option to consider is to grab a Lenovo TS140 barebones server, either the Core i3 or Xeon model depending on your budget. I believe the TS140 has 3 or 4 HDD bays. Right now the Core i3 + 4GB RAM TS140 is $270 on Amazon. I've seen it go as low as $200-$220 during sales on Amazon and other sites. You just need to add HDDs and an OS and you're good to go. The PSU in the entry level TS140 should be fine for something like a Geforce 750Ti or something similar if you also want to use it for some gaming; they come standard with a 280W 80 PLUS Bronze rated PSU. If you want to upgrade the PSU of a TS140, you need to buy a plug adapter since Lenovo uses some weird proprietary 14-pin power plug on the TS140 mainboard.

Yeah I've been thinking about something like this to replace the ailing old Core 2 Duo Mac Mini that's my current Plex server. Another option I just stumbled across while looking at the TS140 is a refurb Lenovo D20, which also comes in a variety of configurations. For making apples-to-apples Plex transcoding performance capability comparisons, you should look at the CPU PassMark score and expect about 2000 PassMark per 1080p stream transcode.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Arzakon posted:

If you're not really lazy anymore this is a cool solution. Make sure that the case fits in your entertainment center.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That's a midtower though, not anything smallish. Are you looking for min ITX or so?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lurksion posted:

That's a midtower though, not anything smallish. Are you looking for min ITX or so?

You can plop the TS140 off to the side somewhere, or shove it in a closet. It runs pretty quiet. Obviously not the ideal looking entertainment HTPC-ish device, but for the price? It's a pretty solid, no-frills solution.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Mini-ITX is what I was going for. The TV is in a deep cutout above the fireplace so there is plenty of room to hide it back there. No reason I couldn't just set up a tower back there it just feels so, not HTPC.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here is what I'm using. It's a coolermaster 130 elite case with a mini itx board.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nDd6Mp

It's still bigger than I would like but I needed something big enough so it would get decent airflow and accommodate the video card. I changed a few things about the setup since I posted. I use the ATV4 instead of the xbone for plex and I replaced the short video card with a full size because 2 fans are quieter than 1. I was also having some power supply issues (spontaneous shutdowns) so I replaced it with a corsair 600M. I also went back to the Intel cpu fan instead of the zalman because temps were fine and it's quieter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Here is what I'm using. It's a coolermaster 130 elite case with a mini itx board.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nDd6Mp

It's still bigger than I would like but I needed something big enough so it would get decent airflow and accommodate the video card. I changed a few things about the setup since I posted. I use the ATV4 instead of the xbone for plex and I replaced the short video card with a full size because 2 fans are quieter than 1. I was also having some power supply issues (spontaneous shutdowns) so I replaced it with a corsair 600M. I also went back to the Intel cpu fan instead of the zalman because temps were fine and it's quieter.

I have the same case for my gaming PC :) There's a newer CM Elite 110 case that's a fair bit smaller: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119299

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I just got this program and it seems pretty great.

However I have been a horrible Luddite for that last half decade and am pretty worthless at anything beyond basic press play computer interaction :shobon:

I'd like to copy my dvd collection over to my PC and use them with Plex, is there any specific formatting, or program I should use to do this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I just got this program and it seems pretty great.

However I have been a horrible Luddite for that last half decade and am pretty worthless at anything beyond basic press play computer interaction :shobon:

I'd like to copy my dvd collection over to my PC and use them with Plex, is there any specific formatting, or program I should use to do this?

Handbrake is the best program for it. However, it's not quite plug and play since any DVD with copy protection would need to have that taken care of first.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Medullah posted:

Handbrake is the best program for it. However, it's not quite plug and play since any DVD with copy protection would need to have that taken care of first.

If you install libdvdcss correctly, Handbrake can directly transcode DVD's with copy protection: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-rip-a-dvd-to-your-computer-5809765

You can also do the same thing with the MakeMKV libraries for Blu-rays (on a Mac, at least): http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/directly-rip-and-convert-bluray-disks-with-handbrake

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Not entirely sure whether to post this here or in the NAS thread but I'm looking to move my plex setup to a dedicated media storage box rather than running it off my gaming pc so that I can run it 24/7 and also be able to sleep without fans running right next to my head. I can't get a TS140 here in the UK as they are all stupidly expensive for some reason so was thinking of putting together something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£78.77 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£39.84 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£16.28 @ Aria PC)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£30.87 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£39.34 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £280.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-15 12:44 GMT+0000

I want to be able to do max 3 streams at once with 2 of them being transcoded and I already have all the drives I need. I'm more familiar with intel based builds normally but there doesn't seem to be any cpu's of similar power for the same price and I'm trying to keep the price down as low as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or does this seem reasonable?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you're overshooting on CPU a bit. I have Plex as a VM on an ancient i7 860 with no problems. I'd also go for a Skylake i3 instead, similar performance with half of the power draw.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DJ Burette posted:

Not entirely sure whether to post this here or in the NAS thread but I'm looking to move my plex setup to a dedicated media storage box rather than running it off my gaming pc so that I can run it 24/7 and also be able to sleep without fans running right next to my head. I can't get a TS140 here in the UK as they are all stupidly expensive for some reason so was thinking of putting together something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£78.77 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£39.84 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£16.28 @ Aria PC)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£30.87 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£39.34 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £280.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-15 12:44 GMT+0000

I want to be able to do max 3 streams at once with 2 of them being transcoded and I already have all the drives I need. I'm more familiar with intel based builds normally but there doesn't seem to be any cpu's of similar power for the same price and I'm trying to keep the price down as low as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or does this seem reasonable?

I can transcode two HD streams of any bitrate on my spare 2010 Vaio. This is definitely overkill spec-wise, but given your low entry cost here, you may as well stick to what you're using so you have overhead for any other uses.
You don't mention storage outside of the SSD - there's no real need for an SSD here (but then again, why not) but you will probably want to throw a large disk in there for storage. You can then also just use it as a backup destination / general FTP server or whatever.
8Gb of RAM is a pretty cheap upgrade and likely worth it.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you're overshooting on CPU a bit. I have Plex as a VM on an ancient i7 860 with no problems. I'd also go for a Skylake i3 instead, similar performance with half of the power draw.

The i3 with a compatible motherboard seems to go for about £40 more for slightly less performance and a saving of about 40 watts, is the power draw going to make up the difference in cost within a reasonable amount of time or is it likely on the order of years to tell? Similarly I'm finding it difficult to tell if moving to a gold rated psu will be worthwhile.

Khablam posted:

I can transcode two HD streams of any bitrate on my spare 2010 Vaio. This is definitely overkill spec-wise, but given your low entry cost here, you may as well stick to what you're using so you have overhead for any other uses.
You don't mention storage outside of the SSD - there's no real need for an SSD here (but then again, why not) but you will probably want to throw a large disk in there for storage. You can then also just use it as a backup destination / general FTP server or whatever.
8Gb of RAM is a pretty cheap upgrade and likely worth it.

Yeah I've got 6 mechanical disks already in my current plex rig hence needing the case with loads of hdd spaces. 8gb ram seems sensible and shouldn't cost much more, should probably help with sabnzbd I guess even if it doesn't really directly affect plex from my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Burette posted:

The i3 with a compatible motherboard seems to go for about £40 more for slightly less performance and a saving of about 40 watts, is the power draw going to make up the difference in cost within a reasonable amount of time or is it likely on the order of years to tell? Similarly I'm finding it difficult to tell if moving to a gold rated psu will be worthwhile.

A quick Google search shows the average kWh cost in the UK to be around £0.10 per kWh. A 40-watt load, over the course of a year, will consume 350.4 kWh, so that's £35 of increased electrical costs in year one alone. Running that math makes me awfully tempted to swap my i7 860 for an i3 6100 myself :v:

Also, for shits and grins, I just ran four transcoded streams simultaneously from my Plex VM to my desktop. Two 1080p, two 720p, and while it maxed out every CPU meter in VMware as well as driving the 'load' count through the roof in the Linux VM my Plex server runs on, all four streams ran flawlessly.